Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

infernal machines posted:

Do you live in a tarpaper shack or maybe a new-construction condo?

Any place with lathe and plaster/plaster mesh, or god forbid, brick interior walls where I've seen 5GHz used has massive attenuation issues

Buddy of mine had an old house that was a wireless black hole. Nothing penetrated that fortress. Cellular went dead as soon as you stepped in the house. His wifi router served one room and one room only. After a wild party where some drunk rear end in a top hat smashed into a wall we discovered someone had laid out metal mesh behind over the lathe and plastered on top and he was living in a faraday cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I own an isp and my staff deal with wireless issues day in day out. Some houses our routers will reach 3 floors up and down in 5ghz. Some houses barely one or two rooms.

Of course every time it’s “my internet sucks, this router is broken” blah blah blah. Bitch don’t try to explain physics to me I’ll wreck you

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EngineerJoe posted:

5GHz AC is amazing and will satisfy even the most discerning anime fan.

:hfive:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

I own an isp and my staff deal with wireless issues day in day out. Some houses our routers will reach 3 floors up and down in 5ghz. Some houses barely one or two rooms.

Of course every time it’s “my internet sucks, this router is broken” blah blah blah. Bitch don’t try to explain physics to me I’ll wreck you

I always enjoyed it when I could turn it into a physics lesson for them. Either they're friendly and eager to find out what's going on because we all agree that vague answers suck, or they're just so angry about the wifi not being perfect that they go along with it because nothing else has been helping.

Here's the spectrum analysis for a nice older gentleman who's been having constant connection intermittency.

It's weird how the signal strength keeps dropping like that, but dude is like on an acreage and there's no other wireless networks. Let's check the other channels...

Looks like something funky's going on from in channels 4 through 8. We could have just called it a day and locked the router to a working channel, but we'd gotten this far and he wanted to find the source of the RFI, which turned out to be a fluorescent light with a lovely ballast right next to the modem. I remember just telling him to try turning it off to see what happens and not expecting anything, but by god that did it. Fella straight up told me he never would have believed me if we hadn't gone over the basic physics involved and made him a part of getting to the bottom of it.

If you can get a broadband spectrum analyzer out there to see everything things could be pretty wild. Turns out that the reason your wireless connection is lovely is 'cause of these off-brand wireless speakers you're running that's pumpin' out crazy RFI. Now only if you had let us send a technician out sooner instead of insisting on swapping your "busted rear end modem" at the store five times...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The problem around here is half the guys installing dont know a loving lick. WiFi sucked at gfs place, why? They mounted the loving router under the stairs, in the basement, in the furnace room. I see that poo poo a lot. Seen another lady with it mounted under the bottom shelf in a closet in an office in the basement. Then wondering why they couldn't get very good signal upstairs. So of course they go and buy a repeater and put it upstairs where theres barely any signal to repeat. Ugh. People.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I used to work the phones the best was getting the small business owners, day traders, and Twitch streamers using the ISP provided wifi router and freaking out about how the connection drops are costing them hundreds of dollars a minute. Like lol sure bro, I totally believe you're actually making that much money but are too cheap or stupid to spring for a wired connection or a good access point, let alone a backup internet connection.

You see the same thing on DSLReports any time one ISP is having problems. Like, my dude, if your work 100% depends on the internet, have a backup connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitr0 posted:

Notice your bufferbloat falling apart? That’s wireless for you.
Oh yeah, for sure, although after I did that test and made the post I had a WinX tell me it needed to restart for updates so I think it was in the midst of a massive download when I did that.

For comparison, here is a test I did on my desktop just now hardwired with 5e. Miles better either way, but just posting that the wireless wasn't a completely hopeless option.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 20, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

8ender posted:

Buddy of mine had an old house that was a wireless black hole. Nothing penetrated that fortress. Cellular went dead as soon as you stepped in the house. His wifi router served one room and one room only. After a wild party where some drunk rear end in a top hat smashed into a wall we discovered someone had laid out metal mesh behind over the lathe and plastered on top and he was living in a faraday cage.

That’s a prime selling feature for a lot of anti-wireless paranoid people.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Coxswain Balls posted:

I always enjoyed it when I could turn it into a physics lesson for them. Either they're friendly and eager to find out what's going on because we all agree that vague answers suck, or they're just so angry about the wifi not being perfect that they go along with it because nothing else has been helping.

Here's the spectrum analysis for a nice older gentleman who's been having constant connection intermittency.

It's weird how the signal strength keeps dropping like that, but dude is like on an acreage and there's no other wireless networks. Let's check the other channels...

Looks like something funky's going on from in channels 4 through 8. We could have just called it a day and locked the router to a working channel, but we'd gotten this far and he wanted to find the source of the RFI, which turned out to be a fluorescent light with a lovely ballast right next to the modem. I remember just telling him to try turning it off to see what happens and not expecting anything, but by god that did it. Fella straight up told me he never would have believed me if we hadn't gone over the basic physics involved and made him a part of getting to the bottom of it.

If you can get a broadband spectrum analyzer out there to see everything things could be pretty wild. Turns out that the reason your wireless connection is lovely is 'cause of these off-brand wireless speakers you're running that's pumpin' out crazy RFI. Now only if you had let us send a technician out sooner instead of insisting on swapping your "busted rear end modem" at the store five times...

This is awesome.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

This is awesome.

Working there used to be rad. As the first ISP-provided wifi modems got more and more common it was leading to all the dumb support calls you would expect. I kept being vocal about it and the tech support manager here in my city was all "okay, you say you can do better, so prove it". I got the resources and time to make a training module on the basic physics behind wifi, how to discuss its capabilities and shortcomings with customers without using bullshit marketing speak, and how to effectively do site surveys over the phone.

I ran classroom sessions for all the TSRs here and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Reps were happy because they were able to explain and troubleshoot wireless problems effectively, and customers were happy not only because things were getting fixed, they were getting real solutions and not just vague hypotheticals. They were able to learn about the variables involved with a wireless connection and understood how you could run into problems, and if/when they ran into issues again they were empowered to figure out what the issue is with an app on their smartphone. They were fun and engaging problems to solve with customers, if I'm going to be completely honest.

That was years ago, and unfortunately the work environment for frontline doesn't have nearly as much freedom any more. We had metrics when I was on the phone, but they were general guidelines and averages were taken over a large period of time, so an hour long call every once in a while didn't kill you. Now the company would rather have a customer calling in upset fifteen times in the span of a month in perpetuity as long as the call is under ten minutes, rather than spend an hour getting that first-call resolution without a costly truck roll.

The leaders who pushed me into that were really awesome, and that was my stepping stone to move up into the different roles I had in my time there; needless to say a lot of them aren't there any more. Seeing the place deteriorate to the way it is now over the past couple years has been disappointing, since it definitely used to be a fantastic place to work. In all my time there I've never seen a strike action by our unionized workers, and now welp. It's nice to see more confirmation that I made the right decision with every passing day.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 23, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I have it on good authority that Shaw is about to go through another massive restructure/layoff

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

I have it on good authority that Shaw is about to go through another massive restructure/layoff

I heard a bunch of management got the boot yesterday, and some of the names didn't surprise me. In any case:

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's nice to see more confirmation that I made the right decision with every passing day.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A guy I worked with was ex-that place, not particularly bright, but said "nobody retires from that place"

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know an ex-Shaw VP pretty well... He (voluntarily) left a few years back, with the primary stated reason being that he so disliked routinely laying off a bunch of friends every single year.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I tried that same test on a 150/15 cable connection (recent upgrade). I get about a D for bufferbloat whether wired or wireless. I don't know if there's anything I can do about it or if it's just a flaw in the equipment.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 28, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My shaw bill went up $15 for cable and internet now that I’m off the 2 year contract, so I need to call in to cancel tv and try to get them to match or come near to TekSavvy’s rates for 150Mb cable. Anyone have any luck doing similar? Any tips?

Of course their appchat doesn’t work for cancellations or reducing service, have to make that as inconvenient as possible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just tell them you know that Teksavvy is reselling Shaw internet, so they have to beat Teksavvys price or you're switching. If you're cancelling TV, then you have literally nothing to lose. If they refuse, then switch and you'll be getting exactly what Shaw offers but at a better price.

The one downside is if you have to switch, there are a lot of horror stories of Shaw taking as long as possible to get your service switched over to Teksavvy. Even though they can activate your internet with the flip of a switch in seconds, to switch it to Teksavvy can take a month for valid reasons like

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just tell them you know that Teksavvy is reselling Shaw internet, so they have to beat Teksavvys price or you're switching. If you're cancelling TV, then you have literally nothing to lose. If they refuse, then switch and you'll be getting exactly what Shaw offers but at a better price.

The one downside is if you have to switch, there are a lot of horror stories of Shaw taking as long as possible to get your service switched over to Teksavvy. Even though they can activate your internet with the flip of a switch in seconds, to switch it to Teksavvy can take a month for valid reasons like

When I switch to Teksavvy I schedule the shaw disconnect day and then a connection day with teksavvy, right? Hopefully on the same day or thereabouts.. or do they dick with the teksavvy getting me connected?

Or is there a seamless option that allows for a direct switch? (Barring them taking their time to switch over)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

priznat posted:

When I switch to Teksavvy I schedule the shaw disconnect day and then a connection day with teksavvy, right? Hopefully on the same day or thereabouts.. or do they dick with the teksavvy getting me connected?

Or is there a seamless option that allows for a direct switch? (Barring them taking their time to switch over)

I'm not sure on Shaw but Rogers almost certainly dicks with TPIA's on install dates.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats because Rogers is so bad they make Bell look like a respectable, lovable ma & pa shop

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
An old job gave me a 25% Rogers discount on my bill a month before I left the job and they still haven't removed it

That's about what it takes to get competitive rates out of Rogers. Even then Shaw/TekSavvy are usually within $5-10/month

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

Not sure if it's different with TPIA providers, but the ISP you're switching over to should be able to handle the disconnect. As long as someone doesn't screw up the paperwork it should seamlessly switch on your connection date.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know Tek said that if you want to switch to them from Shaw, you need to get a cancellation date from Shaw, and then book your Tek appointment for two weeks after that. I assume the two week buffer is to defray various Shaw shenanigans.

But if you look at the Tek FAQ page about switching ISP's, they have different instructions for virtually every ISP out there. Some are super easy, just call Tek and they can switch you ever the phone. Others are basically "call some eastern european thugs to harass your original ISP, and then maybe in a few months you might be able to switch".

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
😂
https://twitter.com/thatfemshep/status/1025481305348366337

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This is why you don't want ISP installers anywhere near your home with power tools.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro

priznat posted:

I forgot to schedule my Shaw cancellation. Just plugged in the Teksavvy modem on the switchover day and returned the Shaw modem in person the next day and cancelled on the spot.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Calling in to rogers I was eligible via postal code for the Rogers 500u service 1yr for 24.99/month deal but was denied at the last moment because I didn't have tv or home phone with them. But I do have a post-paid cellphone. Has anyone been able to get it without tv or home phone?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

shadow puppet of a posted:

Calling in to rogers I was eligible via postal code for the Rogers 500u service 1yr for 24.99/month deal but was denied at the last moment because I didn't have tv or home phone with them. But I do have a post-paid cellphone. Has anyone been able to get it without tv or home phone?

Check out this thread https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-rogers-internet-retention-plan-49-99-month-ignite-500-plan-2209407/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Got a hum dinger , not specifically related to Internet but Rogers in general (cable internet and LTE)

So I've been struggling with an issue at work the past 1-2 months, right around the time the last big iOS update dropped (11.4)

Specifically a lot of the apps I use at work stopped... working. I couldn't connect to them anymore from my iPhone on Rogers LTE, running 11.4

I could connect to them on WiFi though.

After weeks and weeks of trouble shooting, and testing I've run the problem down to this:

Rogers started pushing out IPv6 addresses to LTE customers at right around the same time as that iOS update, so it's hard to tell if they are related or not... but what i know is.

1) iPhone on Rogers LTE, will not work with the App (A) ...

2) Same iPhone running LTE with a bell sim, does work with App (A)

3) Samsung phone running LTE on rogers, DOES work with App (A)

4) iPhone tethered to the samsung which has a wifi hot spot running, allows the iPhone to run App (A)

5) both phones have both an ip4 and ip6 address, according to whatismyip.com

6) to make it even more fun we have rogers cable internet at work (small business), and for the past number of weeks we've had problems with the pbx, and sip lines... again same sort of time frame as everything else going to poo poo. As of today it's still a crap shoot on if any of the phone lines will work properly or not

I did some more digging and it looks like others are having lots of problems with services and devices, this specific one was a pbx or phone system

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/ios-client-ipv6-issues-with-rogers-lte.57025/

Anyone encountered this , and what the hell is the fix?

My understanding is lots of apps and programs aren't written or prepared for ipv6 addresses yet, or can't resolve the addresses properly, so why would Rogers start pushing the addresses out without telling everyone first?

At least do a Y2K deal and say by 'this date' we will switch everything over, so be prepared.

Reading rumours that if you call rogers they will put you back onto a static ipv4 address per IMEI, but what good is that for a company with 20, 50, or even 500 phones??

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Most things today work fine on ipv6. Contact the app vendor. It shouldn’t fail just because you happen to have an ipv6 address. Telus have had it on for years.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Evis posted:

Most things today work fine on ipv6. Contact the app vendor. It shouldn’t fail just because you happen to have an ipv6 address. Telus have had it on for years.

I would agree that one app may be a problem, but I'm up to at least 2 apps we use everyday, that suddenly stopped working both at the same time.

Probably more than that but 2 I know of for sure

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

I would agree that one app may be a problem, but I'm up to at least 2 apps we use everyday, that suddenly stopped working both at the same time.

Probably more than that but 2 I know of for sure

I would argue there is something else at play other than just IPv6.

Apple has required apps to work in an IPv6-only environment to get on the store since 2016, and in a (proper) dual stack scenario, it'd eventually fall back to IPv4.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 10, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

John Capslocke posted:

I would argue there is something else at play other than just IPv6.

Apple has required apps to work in an IPv6-only environment to get on the store since 2016, and in a (proper) dual stack scenario, it'd eventually fall back to IPv4.

Hmm, but IPv6 def. has a part in it, I feel.

I'll see what everyone says hopefully tomorrow or next week, I have the IT guys and firewall guys talking it over

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Evis posted:

Is this only true for direct Telus customers and not those that use the Telus network like Public Mobile or Koodo? I'm on PM and my iPhone doesn't get a v6 address.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

zergstain posted:

Is this only true for direct Telus customers and not those that use the Telus network like Public Mobile or Koodo? I'm on PM and my iPhone doesn't get a v6 address.

Sorry I meant Telus home internet. They haven’t yet deployed it on their mobile networks as far as I’m aware.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I had a similar issue on Rogers Gigabit Internet with IPv6 over WiFi to an Android device.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I had a similar issue on Rogers Gigabit Internet with IPv6 over WiFi to an Android device.

I think in this situation it is specific to lte, simply because we have 5 static ipv4 addresses

But I would imagine if we changed to dynamic it would cause all sorts of havoc

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Tech here, I can confirm call them to fix the IP, I've had a handful of trouble calls related to that for people on home business accounts. There may be other issues but try that if a faulty modem has been ruled out. Firmware fucks up ALL the time, what modem do you have? CGN3, CGN3ACR/AMF or a CODA? If it is a CGN3 (only says Rogers with no AC lettering on the front) get that piece of poo poo changed out ASAP for an ACR, if you happen to have a CGN2 (looks like a ladybug) get that changed out ASAP as they are pretty much obsolete and failing all over the place. Apple devices seem to gently caress up the most with our equipment from what I have seen in the field. Rogers rolls poo poo out like this all the time without telling the techs, do you really think they would tell customers?

8ender posted:

I'm not sure on Shaw but Rogers almost certainly dicks with TPIA's on install dates.

Rogers only pays ~$9 for a TPIA install and no tech wants to do them when we get ~$18-30 for a Rogers internet only install.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

So are we supposed to tip or?