Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Another good episode. Greg's attitude towards the entire party is so relatable.

This show always makes me feel bad about the world and good about my own family and romantic relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Something in me keeps wanting to root for Kendall. He's an rear end in a top hat and a trainwreck, but his motives are respectable. I liked that after completely falling off the wagon last episode, he decided to mostly forego the debauchery at a party full of drugs solely to conduct business.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bonk posted:

Something in me keeps wanting to root for Kendall. He's an rear end in a top hat and a trainwreck, but his motives are respectable. I liked that after completely falling off the wagon last episode, he decided to mostly forego the debauchery at a party full of drugs solely to conduct business.

He got coked up out of his brain, got Greg to get coked up out of his brain, offered to sell out his whole family, and then called the media to slander the startup that turned him down? Ummmmmm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the ending to ep 8 was very “drat this dude is going full father’s son” for me

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I can't tell if he really thinks he has a better business plan or he just wants to stick it to his family.

Like when he says he wants to carve up Waystar Royco and just keep the juciest morsels, he doesn't say what those are. Presumably something platform and tech related since he doesn't seem to think much of TV or traditional media.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

theflyingexecutive posted:

He got coked up out of his brain, got Greg to get coked up out of his brain, offered to sell out his whole family, and then called the media to slander the startup that turned him down? Ummmmmm
Greg doing 2 lines at a massive sex & drugs bacchanalia is pretty tame, and the amount Kendall did was a regular Tuesday for him. He's not selling out the family; he's still on his original plan of taking over, just via company shares this time. If anyone's the rear end in a top hat there, it's Stewie, having secretly been in Sandy's pocket the whole time he's been on the board.

And he didn't tank the startup because they turned him down. They needed investors and they were all on board with Kendall at first, then suddenly the startup who needs money somehow can get into an extremely exclusive 1% orgy, and Kendall is "Hitler". Someone tanked his deal, so he tanked theirs. I'm not saying he's a good guy - none of them are - but I still find myself rooting for him.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
This show is so good for how uncomfortable it makes me. Like a never-ending passing of a "lovely person" baton.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Oh, Tom. Oh, no. :ohdear:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

gently caress, the intro/theme music is so good.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just finished EP 1 and holy poo poo the paying the kid 1 mil to get a home run than ripping it up right in front of him made me irrationally angry.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, Episode 9... How is it that a feel-bad show makes me feel so good after I'm done watching it? I can't wait for the finale, but the wait for Season 2 after that will be ridiculously painful.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Episode 9 was really good. The contrast between all the personal backstabbing needed to advance their careers versus the family togetherness is just incredible, really hammered home by that scene in the boat. If they had all just lived off their father's earning as debauched trust fund kids instead of hyper-competitive assholes they would be much happier.

meeler09
May 24, 2007
Show owns, tell your friends and family. I really didn’t think after 2-3 episodes that I would be this in to it by the finale. Even though I hate almost every character their arcs are almost all super. Change my name to Greg the egg.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Succession: We are all Cousin Greg

Despera fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 6, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy fuckin poo poo those last few minutes. I’m so glad this show got renewed!!!!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's cool to be here with Goons, but drat, it makes my blood boil a little to see there're 50 new posts on Westworld overnight, which has been off the air for over a month, and only 3 (now my worthless 4) on that ridiculously good finale.

So many layers - I want to blather about it all but I'll give it a few days without getting into spoilers. Just the best thing I've seen all year. Incredible from top to bottom.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I actually didn't like the final because of the car accident which only serves as plotblocking (it is also a cliche story device by this point in time) and meant that things have been going in circles and it was far too convenient as "conclusion" to the season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts like that definitely crossed my mind, but in the end I think they did a good enough job at showing you how hosed Kendall’s mental state is that I believed it

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah the Chappawhatever was a little contrived. Strong sold it well though. As someone who lives in an area with steep cliffs and dumb animals, pro tip just hit the deer. Veering into the other lane or plunging off the road are not worth saving your bumper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, you're actually supposed to accelerate when you're about to hit a deer, and plow right into it. Then it bounces off the front of the car and won't roll into the windshield. And definitely don't veer off to the left and kill yourself.

In a lot of ways that was a masterful finale. I liked how they dealt with every character's arc except Kendal, even when Kendal's performance ended up being so good. Strong totally sold the performance but it was a contrived bit of business. Kendal runs out of coke and Stewie is either out or refuses to give it to him, so he needs to find it. Then the kid doesn't have it so they drive, then there's a deer. And the kid is too inebriated to escape. A lot of pieces that needed to line up to bring down Kendall and make Roy look like he is always in utter control, even though what he did was just take advantage of a very unlikely situation.

It would be okay if Kendall's previous solid plan hadn't been sidelined by another bit of contrivance earlier in the season. At this point in just seems like Kendall pissed off some trickster god.

Also the Japan satellite thing really makes Roman out to be the most monstrous character.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 7, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

whenever i think that one of the characters has gone and established themselves as being the loving worst scum you can imagine the next one goes any one ups them. it's amazing.

anyway i enjoy this show and i look forward to more

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Oh Comon Roman doesnt know poo poo about rockets and they should never have had anyone close enough to it to be injured.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
K-hole service guy grabbed the wheel, so that was his own dumb fault. Kendall, to his credit, tried to save him. Yeah it's scummy to flee the scene and try to ignore it, but Jeremy Strong played shock and panic really well. It looked like he would break down at any moment. Logan is the monster here. He's not only covering up a legitimate accident, but he's only doing it to manipulate his son from moving against him AND doing it via implied blackmail; of course there were other ways they could spin it, but if Kendall said no, Logan would go with that exact news headline where Kendall "kills a kid".

I legitimately LOL'd when Greg made his power move. That dude's going places.

Good to see Tom show some backbone too. The "put it back" scene with the wine was great.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Greg the muthafuckin' Egg.

God I love that kid. Such a bumbling fool playing at this power game, and yet everyone else isn't much better at it than he is. And as contrived as the car accident was, I appreciated the Logan/Kendall resolution it gave us.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I honestly thought the ramp up of Kendall's relapse was going to be him getting his friend Stewie killed somehow. I'm really glad the show got renewed and I'm also glad that Tom is growing a backbone. For some reason, he and Greg the Egg are the only characters I want to see make it out okay.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I like Kendall. He is the only spawn of Logan who wants to do more in his life than cash his fathers checks (Well until president-elect Conner). Hes a good father and made a decent effort to save that kid he drowned.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
He made someone who was on drugs drive a car. He is a colossal fuckup who thinks that he is like his father but he will always sabotage everything he does because he very much isn't. He wants to be the Michael of the family but he is Gob.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Basically all the male children are Gob. Also Shiv is Gob, but pretending to be Lindsay.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Why was the Senator who is running for US President at the wedding for one of his advisors? It reminds me of the later seasons of the Office where they had to think of increasingly contrived reasons to get the coworkers to hang out in social settings.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Popelmon posted:

He made someone who was on drugs drive a car.
You might want to watch that episode again. :confused:

Ego-bot posted:

Why was the Senator who is running for US President at the wedding for one of his advisors? It reminds me of the later seasons of the Office where they had to think of increasingly contrived reasons to get the coworkers to hang out in social settings.
Because she works for him, they're colleagues, and it's not weird to invite someone you work with closely to your wedding?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Popelmon posted:

He made someone who was on drugs drive a car. He is a colossal fuckup who thinks that he is like his father but he will always sabotage everything he does because he very much isn't. He wants to be the Michael of the family but he is Gob.

You know they drive on the left in the UK?

Also why somone running for president around a bunch rich people is not a question frequently asked.

And it would have been weird for shiv to not invite him.

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 10, 2018

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Bonk posted:

You might want to watch that episode again. :confused:

Because she works for him, they're colleagues, and it's not weird to invite someone you work with closely to your wedding?

They're not colleagues, she's his employee. Depending on the relationship, your boss of a couple months coming to your wedding could be a little weird, but maybe that's just me.

Despera posted:

Also why somone running for president around a bunch rich people is not a question frequently asked.

And it would have been weird for shiv to not invite him.
If Bernie Sanders were hanging out at Rupert Murdoch's place in the spring of 2016 everyone would be asking wtf.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ego-bot posted:

She's an ultrawealthy person and he's a Senator that still has to busk for campaign dollars. Having an incredibly rich person as your friend is always a good idea in politics.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Bernie didn't know Logan would be there. His colleague/employee invited him to her wedding and there's no media so he's like sure why not. Then Logan invited himself last minute.

Also gently caress Tom. He sleeps around willy nilly but melts down when Shiv confesses to a little of the same? I know it's a realistic reaction and I greatly enjoy his character but really gently caress him.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Sounds like someone wore deck shoes to a non boat related event. Tom Roy is everyone's inner weasel and Gregs BFF. I dont remember Tom cheating but I didnt start watching the show till episode 6 which is why I love it so much.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Just popped in to thank the thread for putting me on to this show. I want every character to die but, I cant stop laughing.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Despera posted:

I dont remember Tom cheating

His bachelor party, ep. 8

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

His bachelor party, ep. 8

Even Shiv A-Okd that

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Popelmon posted:

He didn’t make anyone drive the car, he drove it himself. Did you miss how (like most Americans) he wasn’t comfortable driving a stick and kept missing gears. The distraction with the gearshift is why he didn’t see the deer at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

El Jeffe posted:

Also gently caress Tom.

That finale definitely took me from "I feel bad for the guy" to "oh that's a real ugly look, Tom", and basically made me realize that while none of them are good people, the kids at least feel... Well-intentioned in their own bubble? That scene with "put my wine back" was the first "gently caress you I'm rich bow and scrape" I could recall seeing beyond Logan and the million dollar check in the premiere.