Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not mind-blowing or anything, but it’s a solid movie to watch on Halloween, Brian Cox has some nice freakouts, and it feels like an R-rated horror flick set in the same town as Hocus Pocus.

I've seen some clips. Dylan Baker looks like he's having the time of his life in it.

Anyway, a friend of mine is sending me the Blu-ray. I'll probably use it to kick off the season on October 1. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Everyone here already knows Arrow does good work, but hot drat the Shock Treatment blu looks amazing. The movie is so drat slick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not mind-blowing or anything, but it’s a solid movie to watch on Halloween, Brian Cox has some nice freakouts, and it feels like an R-rated horror flick set in the same town as Hocus Pocus.

I’ll have to check these out, especially Necromonicon. Love me some Jeffrey Combs :allears:

I will say this, while I do really enjoy the Tales from the Crypt film don't expect it to have the same vibe as the tv show. It's more of a Hammerish British macabre thing. In fact Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror were part of a wave of British made anthology films from Amicus in the 70s of varying quality. From Beyond the Grave is pretty good if you're into that vibe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trick R Treat is one of the few movies to nail Halloween cinematically. Only other good ones are Halloween 3 and the opening credits for Halloween 4.

But I think the flick is a lot of fun and has some pretty fantastic iconography. Sam is an incredible design for a character, almost too good. Honestly he should be Halloween’s Santa, I mean he evokes everything about the holiday so very very well.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Eureka/Masters of Cinema have a sale goin' on:

Click here for buy links

quote:

Masters of Cinema titles
Asphalt (DVD) £4.99
Colossal Youth (DVD) £4.99
Phantom/ Die Finanzen Des Großherzogs (DVD) £5.99
Fear And Desire (DVD) £4.99
Tabu (DVD) £4.99
Les Miserables (DVD) £5.99
Der Tiger Von Eschnapur / Das Indische Grabmal (DVD) £5.99
Le Amiche (Dual Format) £5.99
Wooden Crosses (Dual Format) £7.99
Pickup On South Street (Dual Format) £7.99
The Naked Prey (Dual Format) £7.99
1900 (Novecento) (Blu-ray) £6.99
Stalag 17 (Blu-ray) £7.99
Cover Girl (Dual Format) £8.99
Daughter Of The Nile (Dual Format) £9.99
Der Mude Tod (Dual Format) £9.99
Westfront 1918 & Kameradschaft: Two Films by G.W. Pabst (Dual Format) £14.99
Buster Keaton: Short Films (Blu-ray) £24.99

Miscellaneous titles
Prince Valiant (Blu-ray) £4.99
Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves (Blu-ray) £5.99
Tokyo Tribe (DVD) £4.99
Dead Head (DVD) £4.99
Guilty Of Romance (Blu-ray) £4.99
The War Lord (DVD) £4.99
The War Lord (Blu-ray) £6.99
Enemy Mine (Blu-ray) £6.99
The Blue Lagoon (Dual Format) £7.99
Manina, The Lighthouse Keepers Daughter/56 Rue Pigalle (Blu-ray) £7.99
The Olive Tree (Dual Format) £6.99
Born Free (Dual Format) £7.99
The Skull (Dual Format) £6.99
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (Dual Format) £6.99

The Buster Keaton blu-ray set seems to be the same as the Kino set.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ooooh maybe I'll finally replace my HDDVD of Children of Men where the audio goes out of sync

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Love Children of Men but not nearly as much as I love Gosford Park. Top 5 Altman, easily.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

trdn89 posted:

Love Children of Men but not nearly as much as I love Gosford Park. Top 5 Altman, easily.

I watched it as my first Altman way back in high school and I found it utterly boring. I was an idiot then and I really should give it another try. Every other Altman I've seen once I knew a thing or two about film I've absolutely loved.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

david_a posted:

There’s Cat’s Eye which is... OK. It’s got a lot of familiar faces in it.

I remember liking the "Quitters, Inc" segment with James Woods, I thought it captured the tone of a Stephen King story better than most adaptations.

Basebf555 posted:

The best horror anthologies were made in the 60s and 70s imo. Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales, Black Sabbath, Kwaidan, Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Torture Garden, and Asylum are all worth watching.

:yeah:

Others I liked: From Beyond the Grave, From a Whisper to a Scream, Dead of Night (1945)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched it as my first Altman way back in high school and I found it utterly boring. I was an idiot then and I really should give it another try. Every other Altman I've seen once I knew a thing or two about film I've absolutely loved.

Yep, I think Gosford Park is much better if you come into it already knowing what Altman is all about. How every tiny little character interaction matters, that he's building this completely immersive world that you can just allow yourself to fall into. But if you're an edgy teen or whatever I imagine the world of Gosford Park isn't exactly the most enticing.

My first Altman was McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and I think that might be the perfect introduction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nah, the best introduction to Altman is M*A*S*H, full stop.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I can't imagine not being enraptured by Nashville regardless of ones film experience. I wish I had seen that one first.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
M*A*S*H just bounces off me, but the great thing about Altman is that he directed so many goddamn movies that there's something for everyone (well, at least everyone who likes good movies), and even the stuff I don't like has interesting elements (for instance, the way M*A*S*H handles its closing credits).

Except for Tanner 88, arguably the ugliest-looking thing ever to get a Criterion release.

EDIT:

Spatulater bro! posted:

I can't imagine not being enraptured by Nashville regardless of ones film experience. I wish I had seen that one first.

The correct answer. It boggles my mind that so many of the songs in that movie were written by the actors.

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 10, 2018

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got two Ultraviolet codes:

Birdman: 4XGNYLWPPFFMEUQ1
UK/IRELAND ONLY - sonypictures.com/uvredeem

Blade Runner 2049: 3LLB0DK0E9VL2KU6
Probably UK/Ireland only but it doesn't actually say so you might get lucky - foxredeem.com

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
My 4K UHD Predator 3-Movie Collection came with two copies of Predator 2 and no copies of Predators :thumbsup:

Also, since I just started buying these dumb things, man am I disappointed that everything seems to come in those flimsy, recycle-logo cutout cases. Hate 'em. I will pay 10 cents extra for a real case.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Monopthalmus posted:

My 4K UHD Predator 3-Movie Collection came with two copies of Predator 2 and no copies of Predators :thumbsup:

Also, since I just started buying these dumb things, man am I disappointed that everything seems to come in those flimsy, recycle-logo cutout cases. Hate 'em. I will pay 10 cents extra for a real case.

Blessed

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Monopthalmus posted:

Does that set come with the regular blu-ray discs? I've been trying to find out if the blu-ray that comes with the UHD discs are a new transfer or the plastic people one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does that set come with the regular blu-ray discs? I've been trying to find out if the blu-ray that comes with the UHD discs are a new transfer or the plastic people one.

Blu-Ray.com says it’s the plastic one for Blu

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com says it’s the plastic one for Blu

Mother fuckers.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Ronin Flix is having an end of summer flash sale:

https://roninflix.com/collections/summer-flash-sale?page=1

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SilentChaz posted:

Ronin Flix is having an end of summer flash sale:

https://roninflix.com/collections/summer-flash-sale?page=1

I haven't seen any of these, but the cover for Delirium tempts me to make a blind buy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen Delirium but from what I have seen my opinion of Lamberto Bava is that the apple falls very far from the tree. I wouldn't blind buy one of his movies. Except if someone hadn't seen Demons, then ok blind buy that.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Spatulater bro! posted:

I haven't seen any of these, but the cover for Delirium tempts me to make a blind buy.

Not a good movie, but it's got a couple genuinely good moments. Worth watching if you're a diehard of the genre. Also, Serena Grandi is absolutely gorgeous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Delirium apparently has death by bees and an ending in which the killer gets shot in the dick. I'm kinda sold.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

All this talk of getting two copies of a movie in a box set scared me and I opened the Friday the 13th box set I've has laying around for months. Two loving copies of part 4 and no part 2. God damnit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hey, I’ve seen that dude around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Monopthalmus posted:

What do you think of the transfer for the 1st? I watched the other day and enjoyed a lot, thought it looked pretty great for a movie I know won’t ever be a 5 star visual knockout just due to how it was shot. I can’t compare to the dodgy Blu-rays because I realized while watching I hadn’t actually sat down and watched the movie in probably over 20 years. I’ve probably never seen it in the correct aspect ratio even. Which is crazy, given I think Predator is drat sweet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

Ha, nice.
:pwn:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

caligulamprey posted:

Came back here to make a Residents joke and of fuckin course you made the reference already

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boinks posted:

All this talk of getting two copies of a movie in a box set scared me and I opened the Friday the 13th box set I've has laying around for months. Two loving copies of part 4 and no part 2. God damnit.

I'm just shocked that some of you let your discs sit around unopened. The first thing I do every time I get them home is to open them up and examine them for damage.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just shocked that some of you let your discs sit around unopened. The first thing I do every time I get them home is to open them up and examine them for damage.

Honestly this problem would be solved if you maniacs stopped using cases and switched to big ol BINDERS

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I have 2 kids.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spatulater bro! posted:

The worst packaging I've experienced is the Twilight Zone complete series Blu-ray. The disc hubs use two small but very rigid clips to secure the disc. Removing the disc requires prying/flexing the disc way past my comfort level. Reinserting it requires pushing the clear center portion with so much force that I'm convinced I'm going to crack the disc every single time. Luckily I haven't cracked any yet, but there's no reason packaging should make me sweat this much.

The Larry Sanders Show from Mill Creek is the worst everything. The packaging comes on these flimsy pieces of thin cardboard. The transfers themselves are awful. It feels like they expanded the size of the screen, everything is so dark and grainy, and the sound is awful. There's also like 8 or so episodes per DVD, which feels like a lot. It's a credit to how good the show is that I am willing to overlook all the negatives and keep watching.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HBO did a set that was way better

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

What do you think of the transfer for the 1st? I watched the other day and enjoyed a lot, thought it looked pretty great for a movie I know won’t ever be a 5 star visual knockout just due to how it was shot. I can’t compare to the dodgy Blu-rays because I realized while watching I hadn’t actually sat down and watched the movie in probably over 20 years. I’ve probably never seen it in the correct aspect ratio even. Which is crazy, given I think Predator is drat sweet.

It's definitely the best the movie has ever looked. It's probably never going to be perfect, in this one there are a few shots where I guess you could argue they swung too far the other direction with the grain, but overall I thought it looked pretty great. Certainly any shot featuring a character's face is drastically improved.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

The Larry Sanders Show from Mill Creek is the worst everything. The packaging comes on these flimsy pieces of thin cardboard. The transfers themselves are awful. It feels like they expanded the size of the screen, everything is so dark and grainy, and the sound is awful. There's also like 8 or so episodes per DVD, which feels like a lot. It's a credit to how good the show is that I am willing to overlook all the negatives and keep watching.

I have no idea how Mill Creek gets all these great shows because their releases are notorious garbage.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow I finally found The Prestige on 4K at Meijer’s of all places.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely the best the movie has ever looked. It's probably never going to be perfect, in this one there are a few shots where I guess you could argue they swung too far the other direction with the grain, but overall I thought it looked pretty great. Certainly any shot featuring a character's face is drastically improved.

Just got around to watching it and this is how I feel too. Worst looking 4K movie I’ve seen so far, and yet the best version of Predator I’ve ever seen so make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
At this point, I have to believe the executive in charge of Predator is just a Xenomorph w a shirt and tie.