Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Craptacular! posted:

I have only watched Ninja Steel, but it seems like half of the “Neo Saban” rangers are robots. They’re just endless faux enthusiasm, shoutouts to things the show did when it was a phenomenon, and rhyming catchphrases.

AWWW YEAH
UH HUH
IT’S MORPHIN TIME
OPEN THE CAGE, IT’S A RANGER STAGE
WOOOOOO
RANGERS AREN’T STOPPIN’ AND THE MONSTERS KEEP DROPPIN’
THIS IS EPIC
DID YOU CATCH THAT MR SABAN I PUT THE EMPHASIS ON ‘EPIC’
YEEEEHAW
WHEN THE MONSTER GETS BIGGER, PULL THE MEGAZORD TRIGGER
YEAHHHHH AWWWRIGHT WE WUNNNNN
One solo ranger: THAT WAS MORPHINOMENAL [mis-pronounced as “morphin’ animal”]

Like, teach these kids Karate Sounds because they have none besides the occasional “OOYAAHHHHHH” when the Sentai footage goes into CGI 3/4 speed mode.

Someone high up the chain subscribed to the "Children will stop watching my show if no one is saying words for three seconds" theory of children's TV shows. Hopefully they have been fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason I keep saying that in a smarter world Saban should have skipped Dairanger entirely and gone right to doing Kakuranger(and do that season as a straight adaptation rather than trying to continue to use the Zyuranger suits)

Plus in Season 3 they were getting new powers anyway so it was probably best to just swap out the suits then and there (changing Pink to White). Though that does leave the question of what to do with the leftover member but I guess they could have made Ninjor a ranger or possibly made up a Silver Kakuranger suit or something that could pilot the Falconzord. Though White's technically the leader, Red usually takes point in most of the battle footage so that probably wouldn't have been much of an issue.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Plus in Season 3 they were getting new powers anyway so it was probably best to just swap out the suits then and there (changing Pink to White). Though that does leave the question of what to do with the leftover member but I guess they could have made Ninjor a ranger or possibly made up a Silver Kakuranger suit or something that could pilot the Falconzord. Though White's technically the leader, Red usually takes point in most of the battle footage so that probably wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Would have probably been best to go with a new cast as well

Actually that reminds me, when I watched the first couple of episodes of Kakuranger a while ago I noticed that Red and Blue in the first episode are basically bumbling idiots in the vein of Bulk & Skull, so I had the thought, why not have them be Red and Blue for this What If(with Rocky, Adam, and Ayesha filling the other three parts)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/imkota/status/1027911274166984704

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope Shattered Grid comes out in a nice big trade or two.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dawgstar posted:

I hope Shattered Grid comes out in a nice big trade or two.

you are in luck then:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Shattered Grid Softcover (On-Sale August 2019) – collecting Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #25-30, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Free Comic Book Day Special, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Shattered Grid #1

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Shattered Grid Deluxe Edition Hardcover (On-Sale November 2019) – collecting Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #24-30, Go Go Power Rangers #9-12, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2018 Annual #1, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Free Comic Book Day Special, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Shattered Grid #1. This collection will also include an exclusive original never-before-seen story set in the Shattered Grid event, and more extras including a full cover gallery

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Welp, that's a hardcover for me, then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Its really annoying that the hardcovers get exclusive story content. Behind the scenes stuff like uncolored panels or interviews is one thing...but a new issue just feels like a slap in the face to people who buy comics month to month.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Gemma anniversary screenshot sent me into full hype. I haven’t cared at all about Ninja Steel, but I gotta watch this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been enjoying Shattered Grid on the whole, but it just occurred to me, could they not get Austin St. John's likeness approval for the comics or something? Jason's hair is literally a light tannish beige in half of the comics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

I've been enjoying Shattered Grid on the whole, but it just occurred to me, could they not get Austin St. John's likeness approval for the comics or something? Jason's hair is literally a light tannish beige in half of the comics.

None of them really look right beyond general cartoon-yness.

Trini especially looks off, face wise.

But eh, it's not a big deal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Saban doesn’t pay likeness royalties, and unless you’ve got him under oath would probably bullshit that Austin St John looked sort of like their ideal Jason and not the other way around.

And also like all of these characters were portrayed by different actors in the pitch video, so ehh.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh hey, someone mentioned Turbo. I guess that's as good a reason as any to say this.

I'm autisticbad at motivation and prioritizing. Real bad, as some of you may have noticed from my relative lack of activity these past few months. I can't really give any good reason as to why I let it continue. Chalk it up to a healthy mix of inertia and shame.

But hey, it's time for me to whip myself into gear and make up for my poor work ethic. To that end, I'll be posting a ranger vid every day for the next 18 days - one per ranger suit, starting today.

Accounting for two-parters, that'll put us one episode out from the end of Power Rangers Shape Force and ready to peel out kicking and screaming into Power Rangers Car Boys. Strap in, because we're about to go Zeo harder than before.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh hey, someone mentioned Turbo. I guess that's as good a reason as any to say this.

I'm autisticbad at motivation and prioritizing. Real bad, as some of you may have noticed from my relative lack of activity these past few months. I can't really give any good reason as to why I let it continue. Chalk it up to a healthy mix of inertia and shame.

But hey, it's time for me to whip myself into gear and make up for my poor work ethic. To that end, I'll be posting a ranger vid every day for the next 18 days - one per ranger suit, starting today.

Accounting for two-parters, that'll put us one episode out from the end of Power Rangers Shape Force and ready to peel out kicking and screaming into Power Rangers Car Boys. Strap in, because we're about to go Zeo harder than before.

Power Rangers Car Boys is gonna be great. What a weird season. Divatox really chews the scenery, though. She's probably the best villain until Time Force, though they do some interesting stuff with the villains up through Lost Galaxy, too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, it's this loving guy again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hope you make The Transition as nonchalant as possible.
"TOMMY IT'S TIME... YOU MOVED ON"
'HIKSYAAASA --Wow guys -- Zordon I..."

TJ : "SHIFT INTO TURBO"

So someone posted the latest PR Shattered Grid cover and speculation is going crazy about Our Boy Drakkon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FilthyImp posted:

I hope you make The Transition as nonchalant as possible.
"TOMMY IT'S TIME... YOU MOVED ON"
'HIKSYAAASA --Wow guys -- Zordon I..."

TJ : "SHIFT INTO TURBO"

So someone posted the latest PR Shattered Grid cover and speculation is going crazy about Our Boy Drakkon.

The new cover that references Fusion Reborn? Cause that's a nice cover.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zedd posted:

The new cover that references Fusion Reborn? Cause that's a nice cover.

That one is pretty sweet, but I was talking about this one

Drakkon Not My Final Form

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems sort of a cop-out that he eats two decades of ranger seasons or whatever and the end result looks like a fusion of JDF’s MMPR/DinoThunder suits, but what else are you gonna draw. Please just don’t end with “wow Tommy is so cool because it took all the Tommy’s to stop just one Tommy.”

I still liked my idea of the Zeo Crystal turning him into Zedd when it’s fused with Serpentera (and Drakkon already acquired Serpentera on HyperForce, and I wonder if that’ll go anywhere). It works not just because Zedd has barely visible shreds of backstory elements on TV, but it would also explain why he had the crystal shelved in his moon basement in season 3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

I still liked my idea of the Zeo Crystal turning him into Zedd when it’s fused with Serpentera (and Drakkon already acquired Serpentera on HyperForce, and I wonder if that’ll go anywhere).
I'd like to believe this is the endgoal, but we wont see it for like 8 years because Evil Tommy but More Eviler wont run down in the foreseeable future.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FilthyImp posted:

That one is pretty sweet, but I was talking about this one

Drakkon Not My Final Form

Okay that owns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is HyperForce really that tied in to stuff? Do I need to watch several, several hours of a Twitch stream?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dawgstar posted:

Is HyperForce really that tied in to stuff? Do I need to watch several, several hours of a Twitch stream?

Its more or less a one-way tie-in. Hyper Force references shattered grid, but the comics don't really reference Hyper. Other than the rangers showing up in the art.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nah. That thing is written to intentionally be like they’re the rangers behind the rangers, which is to say they visit events and time from the TV seasons and try to keep continuity clean. Expect something like, “uh oh, this monster is trying to sneak in and sabotage Terra Venture, you gotta fix it so Lost Galaxy’s story ends the way it’s supposed to.” And they’ll usually have a guest from that season.

The Shattered Grid episode is the one exception, and it’s simply because it’s dealing with a comic in the works and not a TV episode from 15 years ago. The mission was, “keep Drakkon from getting Serpentera.” They got quickly overpowered by Drakkon, he cut off one of the girl rangers arm, and they crashed Serpentera into the ocean and retreated. It ended with one of Drakkon’s troops saying they expect it working again after a month of repair work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for the responses. I realize my post came off a bit too harsh about HyperForce - I watched a little and it seemed fun. I mean, Paul Schrier hasn't become less charming over time. I just wondered if I needed to play a severe case of catch-up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd listen to hyperforce if it were available in podcast form

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Yeah, I've tried to watch Hyperforce a solid three times, but each time my brain refused to get into watching people play D&D.

I was doing a minor rewatch of In Space the other day, and I might've missed/forgotten a line or two: what really was the deal with Eciptor and Karone? Like, was the "I found you on my doorstep" thing bullshit? Because Darkonda hints that there's more to things at one point. So was Eciptor in on the whole deal in the first place?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Darkonda gave Karone to Dark Spectre and Dark Spectre ordered Ecliptor to raise her

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I'd listen to hyperforce if it were available in podcast form

That's exactly how I listened to it so, good news, I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh what's the rss

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, it's this loving guy again.

"Leaky Faucet - Why" had me laughing really hard, so great job there.

Man though, they really went hard on the misdirection for the Gold Ranger. Somehow even as a kid it didn't work on me. I can't even say why, as an adult I see the biggest failure in it (voices) but as a child...I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to realize they were trying to get me to think Tommy Mk-II was the Gold Ranger.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Oh what's the rss

I got it through an app but the one it picked up is https://rss.simplecast.com/podcasts/3962/rss.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I’m in the midst of Light Speed Rescue (which I might not be able to finish before PMC). It took about 10 mins for me to Get why Kelsey is pretty universally beloved. I finished the arc with Ryan and his bitchin sweet cobra tat. This season is so obviously pre-9/11 and darker than I expected. I really like the Mitchells, though. All of the Rangers are fun characters. So far my biggest complaint is that it reminds me a bit of MegaForce in the sense that interesting things happen but are super poorly explained. Like, why did that dude want to fight Chad? And why was that other dude holding hostages on the bus? Lessons are learned and that’s cool and all, but some additional context would be great. Also Joel and Ms. Fairweather (who I contend is ABD) kinda remind me of Jake and Gia but watching Joel be hilariously owned over and over is hilarious. I know Vypra is pretty universally reviled and some of her delivery is awful, but the stuff they have her do is hilarious sometimes. Like the go kart thing? I died laughing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's ABD(a big deal?)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

What's ABD(a big deal?)

All But Dissertation for her PhD. There is no way she can design all that stuff the Rangers use and not be an engineer of some sort. In my head she goes back to finish her PhD after Light Speed and in the time between that and the TimeForce crossover.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I just assumed she was already a doctor

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Oh I just assumed she was already a doctor

They don’t call her that, just Ms. Fairweather. She has some pretty cool moments so far. The first zord fight was hilarious and she effortlessly keeps ice burning Joel (I know they end up together eventually but poo poo is still funny). I’m only about halfway through Light Speed, but she’s already one of my favorite non-Billy techs in the seasons I’ve watched so far.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Leaky Faucet - Why" had me laughing really hard, so great job there.

Man though, they really went hard on the misdirection for the Gold Ranger. Somehow even as a kid it didn't work on me. I can't even say why, as an adult I see the biggest failure in it (voices) but as a child...I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to realize they were trying to get me to think Tommy Mk-II was the Gold Ranger.

They were running misdirection everywhere, between Billy, Skull, TommyBro, probably a few others

Kinda lame in hindsight

"It's some alien."
"And now it's Jason."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lightspeed Rescue I think is my favorite non-MMPR season. The whole "humanity built this, it ain't no magic powers or alien tech" thing is great. Also SuperTrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've never rewatched Lightspeed, so I don't have strong opinions.

But: SuperTrain. God yeah.