Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Record attendance for the venue was 20,427 for UFC 205

I think they should go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I also went the Stubhub route. $128 for section 212. Never been to MSG before! Hyped!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe Koff has just sold more tickets than any US WWE live event of 2018 other than WrestleMania. He is Mr. Buzz.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think we can all credit Jay Lethal for this one. I was wrong to ever doubt him.

Really though, who or what do you credit for this? Is ROH incredibly popular outside of this forum? Cause I don’t see a lot of conversation about the product on twitter or here, it seemed hotter years ago.

Maybe it’s the excitement around G1 and All In?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

mania weekend helps a ton, and roh/njpw have a lot of guys that travelling fans get hype about

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

yea ok posted:

mania weekend helps a ton, and roh/njpw have a lot of guys that travelling fans get hype about

Oh yeah, I totally forgot the fact that it’s a Mania weekend event. That definitely makes sense then.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ROH is the Monday Night Raw to NJPW's PPV.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

So, who does WWE swipe between now and April?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OGB posted:

Vince will buy MSG and close it for fumigation WM weekend.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Joe Koff has just sold more tickets than any US WWE live event of 2018 other than WrestleMania. He is Mr. Buzz.

didnt the Rumble draw 14000 for NXT and 17000 for the actual PPV

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Garden is 18k for wrestling so they beat both

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Garden is 18k for wrestling so they beat both

Joe Koff said they had it set up for 15k

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OGB posted:

No one because they have Rousey and Reigns and that's enough and shut-up.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They might go “gently caress it” and open up more tickets based on the response this week, though. There’s still like sevenish months until the show, and I can’t imagine they would pass up the chance to pull in another two thousand or so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

They might go “gently caress it” and open up more tickets based on the response this week, though. There’s still like sevenish months until the show, and I can’t imagine they would pass up the chance to pull in another two thousand or so.

Yeah, and even if they only fill half of that 2000 people, that's a hell of a crowd

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

No. Rumble drew 14,700, NXT drew 9,000. NXT has never done above 13,500 for the first Takeover Brooklyn. It's very hard for WWE to draw over 15,000 due to how they set up buildings.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

OGB posted:

Tanahashi, Ishii, Naito, Toru Yano, Pentagon Jr, Goto, and Okada.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

No. Rumble drew 14,700, NXT drew 9,000. NXT has never done above 13,500 for the first Takeover Brooklyn. It's very hard for WWE to draw over 15,000 due to how they set up buildings.

fair enough I couldn't remember if the 17000 was the reported or actual attendance

good for roh that they're going to have probably the 7th or 8th biggest paid audience from mania to mania though

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

triplexpac posted:

I think we can all credit Jay Lethal for this one. I was wrong to ever doubt him.

Really though, who or what do you credit for this? Is ROH incredibly popular outside of this forum? Cause I don’t see a lot of conversation about the product on twitter or here, it seemed hotter years ago.

Maybe it’s the excitement around G1 and All In?

i mean ROH does fine selling out smaller venues like hammerstein in nyc, I think this being the first real opportunity for east coasters to see new japan live without flying to the west coast (+people flying in for mania who haven't been able to catch ROH) has to be the real drive. new japan has gotten a ton of extra BUZZ this year thanks to jericho especially

also, given my experience with NXT/WWE events at barclays, i dont doubt that there was a significant scalper bot investment in the event, but still surprising to me considering thats a risky bet

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Tomahawk posted:

also, given my experience with NXT/WWE events at barclays, i dont doubt that there was a significant scalper bot investment in the event, but still surprising to me considering thats a risky bet

Just checked the Stubhub app - says there are 3,274 tickets available...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

Tanahashi, Ishii, Naito, Toru Yano, Pentagon Jr, Goto, and Okada.

Also YOSHI-HASHI, who somehow ends up getting the biggest push of all of them.

For real though, they'll make serious plays for the Bucks, Cody, Omega, Scurll and maybe Juice, Naito and Okada. I feel like they're only likely to get the Jacksons and that's a coin flip based on if WWE are willing to massively overpay for the Bucks compared to what they'd actually do with them, in order to gently caress with ROH and New Japan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OGB posted:

Just checked the Stubhub app - says there are 3,274 tickets available...

so only about 20% of the sold tickets are for resale? thats pretty impressive

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Also YOSHI-HASHI, who somehow ends up getting the biggest push of all of them.

For real though, they'll make serious plays for the Bucks, Cody, Omega, Scurll and maybe Juice, Naito and Okada. I feel like they're only likely to get the Jacksons and that's a coin flip based on if WWE are willing to massively overpay for the Bucks compared to what they'd actually do with them, in order to gently caress with ROH and New Japan.

WWE would 100% absolutely pay 7 figures just to ice an act.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The Young Bucks are extremely good, but would losing the Young Bucks actually hurt ROH? Or would Kenny and Cody just pick two new indie guys to do mediocre sketch comedy with and not miss a beat? The lesson should have been learned with Balor, and then Styles, and Anderson and Gallows - you have to get the whole Bullet Club at once or they just grow back.

I am super OK with the Bucks chasing WWE stardom and someone like Dustin and Greg taking their place in front of the t-shirt money trough. Get Jeff Cobb in there, he seems fun. You are never going to run out of indie wrestlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

crazily enough, ROH does just fine without NJPW features so yeah. They're at the point where they credibly present an alternative to NXT and with NJPW features, they're the domestic alternative to WWE's main touring shows. The next big thing is to have an answer to WWE's TV or PPV events.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

STONE COLD 64 posted:

With all the money they have coming in, this could be a real weird next few years

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Which is a baffling concept to me. I know you're right, but the notion that you'd spend that amount of money, even if it's a drop in the bucket, not t acquire an asset you'll use to it's full extent, but to deny it to another company that is literally no threat to your monopoly is completely perplexing. I suppose that's why I'm not a billionaire tycoon.

I still think WWE will balk at paying the Bucks enough to make them walk away from their own merch empire and their New Japan, ROH and indie paydays. (They may be brushing 7 figures already, so is the 'E really gonna dip into 4 or 5 mil for the pair?)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i can't see them signing for less than 5 mil over three years each.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gaz-L posted:

I still think WWE will balk at paying the Bucks enough to make them walk away from their own merch empire and their New Japan, ROH and indie paydays. (They may be brushing 7 figures already, so is the 'E really gonna dip into 4 or 5 mil for the pair?)

The thing I’ll never count out is dudes wanting to take a shot at getting that WWE run that’ll live on after their career is done. I mean, they could always go back to the indies if it didn’t work out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CM Punk exists as a cautionary tale to sober a lot of fanciful ideas of getting a magic run through on your own terms. If you’re willing to work for the man, it might pan out. Might not, too. The top WWE spots are guarded and vetted.

ROH’s international relationships can get people places they might not hit on their own and with some legwork, people can get some income opportunities going that’s good enough to live comfortably on.

It might not be John Cena’s sterile mansion and muscle car collection but it’s a lot more attainable for a lot more people. Look at people like Matt Taven. Dude went from getting near blackballed to a CMLL top draw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Prediction: WWE won't want to upset their salary structure even though they are making hundreds of millions of dollars.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You’d think the Bucks would like to spend less time on the other side of the planet since they have young kids but who knows brother.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They arguably spend more time at home making their own schedule then they would in WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Prediction: WWE won't want to upset their salary structure even though they are making hundreds of millions of dollars.

I keep thinking some of the talent is going to question why they aren't getting more money but than I remember nobody is upset at the loss of PPV money due to the network and realize the Talent will do nothing.

Except Brock who will manage to get even more money and less dates cause he's Brock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

They arguably spend more time at home making their own schedule then they would in WWE.

They spend way more time at home with their current schedule, not arguable at all.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

According to Cagematch the Young bucks have worked 51 matches in 2018 and it's mid-August. They'd have done that in WWE in probably about 2 and half to 3 months?

Edit - Eh I guess by June. The Bar have wrestled 89 matches and the Usos have 74. Those guys also work some singles matches in there too

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 11, 2018

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They also get to dictate when they take holidays. Even when creative has nothing for you you're still working dark matches and house shows and are expected to be in top shape whenever they come up with something for you.

There's no guarantee that the Young Bucks wouldn't get into WWE and be immediately told they don't know how to work by some middle aged bore who only got over by having a catchphrase. Honestly, staying on the Indies is the safer bet for their financial and physical health.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They also seem to have a lot of creative input in New Japan that they would lose in WWE. There are a lot of indie dudes who going to WWE would be a net benefit in terms of pay and being home more often but for the bucks it would be a downgrade.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah, the Bucks dont have a huge incentive to go as they have a thriving business going with Kenny and Cody. They sell a ton of merch and very likely get revenue from BTE. If they went to WWE they'd have to work more dates, get a smaller cut of merchandising revenue and would have to stop doing BTE.

It would have to be a massive payday to make up for all of those factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Yeah, the Bucks dont have a huge incentive to go as they have a thriving business going with Kenny and Cody. They sell a ton of merch and very likely get revenue from BTE. If they went to WWE they'd have to work more dates, get a smaller cut of merchandising revenue and would have to stop doing BTE.

It would have to be a massive payday to make up for all of those factors.

And as history in the WWE having to pay you what your worth is more likely to get them to poo poo all over you than protect their investment.