Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the only good thing about dengeki is the basketball waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats the point of jump canceling into an air combo if its only 3-5 hits long

It's not the air combos I care about, it's the effect airdashes and double jumps have on neutral.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Combos arent that long in UNIST, they just say 50 hits or w/e bc the animation on a special will have like 20 hits in it ala byakua or merkava's noodle arm swipes.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Byakuya and Carmine can freeze you in place for 5 seconds if they spend meter, which is annoying. I'd say the combos are longer than Guilty Gear combos but not as long as Blazblue combos.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The freezing poo poo sucks for sure. It never feels good to happen to you. At least when you get hit with like an EX SPD you get to watch a cool animation for a while. But byakuya just hops around like a loser and you have to crumple out of the web.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been thinking about doing my semiannual “maybe I want to get into a fighting game for real” thing lately. I’ve always loved them. Always sucked rear end at them but had fun. I own SFV and DBFZ. I like SF a lot and always have. The way combos work so rhythmically makes my musician brain tingle. V is depressing but whatever. It’s the most appealing fg I own for some reason. I love DBZ but Fighterz makes me feel like I’m fighting covered in mud. Both against the cpu and 10x worse online. All animeish fighting games feel that way to me.

On the horizon I’m interested in trying SCVI. Lately though Tekken 7 has caught my attention. It looks rad at EVO but from my limited knowledge of the game I feel like I would never grasp how to play it even semi decent at a beginner level. I read up on the series as a whole and it’s pretty awesome how Harada came up and how the series has stuck to its guns so tightly vs chasing trends and doing dumb poo poo. It seems like a series worth investing time in that won’t gently caress you over all the time.

Should I grab Tekken 7 next time it’s on sale? Any other games I should try? I unironically enjoy beating up the cpu and would like to have an okay netcode (lol) if I decide to stick with the game.

PS4 btw

ayyyyyyyyy

How do you play a game with up to 7 frames of input delay with no problem and then say playing another one with much less feels like you're covered in mud

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Zand posted:

this makes no sense because he can't play like an sf2 character in a game where everyone can pass through fireballs.

I never said that SF2 Sagat would necessarily be GOOD in SFV.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

dragon enthusiast posted:

the only good thing about dengeki is the basketball waifu

I like the guy who's heavy normals are just smashing you in the face with a stop sign

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a good chance you'll love it. No double jump and you can't block midair unless spending meter. Very footsies oriented as spacing really matters since 90% of the cast have slow, half screen heavy attacks. It seriously does fit between the gap of anime degeneracy and the older street fighters.

Oh I've got it, like literally everything else except for BBTag and DBZF (hell I've even got the PS4 disc of Dengeki Bunko), I've just got to sit down and practice to suck less. I was just curious at to what made it a favourite over anything else specifically. The last time I was proper good at fighting games and could read opponent moves and all that was way back in Soul Calibur 2. I played a kickass Ivy with a decent enough skill level and I plebbed around on Mitsurugi who is pretty fun when you can read and block everything incoming.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
no seriously the hitboxes on normals in uniel are crazy big, like way bigger than most anything you've ever played

also the grd mechanic is pretty cool, gives you visible and tangible benefits to smart defense in addition to offense

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I bought Tekken 7 earlier. I instantly got really anxious diving into it and somewhat regretted buying it but I’m gonna jump back in later. It’s... dense. Thoroughly overwhelming. Beautiful though. The graphics, animation, sound design are all really good. I think SFV looks amazing too though so I’m not the best judge lol

How should I find a few characters to try out past picking based on aesthetics? The game is complex in a way that makes it difficult for me to say “oh, so x character plays like this and relies on x kind of thing” etc

e: also I didn’t realize it uses the dial a combo system so much (I think?). It doesn’t feel as dull as NRS games but I enjoy having to feel the rhythm/timing of a combo

AnonSpore posted:

How do you play a game with up to 7 frames of input delay with no problem and then say playing another one with much less feels like you're covered in mud

It’s not a critique on the game itself, it’s how I feel playing it and trying to react and parse what’s going on.

I actually played a little of DBFZ earlier while T7 was downloading and had fun. It’s not quite as fast and hectic as I was remembering. Still makes me feel like I’m operating with half of my brain.

I forgot how good it is at literally being Dragon Ball Z.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 10, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Kilometers Davis posted:

I bought Tekken 7 earlier. I instantly got really anxious diving into it and somewhat regretted buying it but I’m gonna jump back in later. It’s... dense. Thoroughly overwhelming. Beautiful though. The graphics, animation, sound design are all really good. I think SFV looks amazing too though so I’m not the best judge lol

How should I find a few characters to try out past picking based on aesthetics? The game is complex in a way that makes it difficult for me to say “oh, so x character plays like this and relies on x kind of thing” etc

e: also I didn’t realize it uses the dial a combo system so much (I think?). It doesn’t feel as dull as NRS games but I enjoy having to feel the rhythm/timing of a combo

It’s not a critique on the game itself, it’s how I feel playing it and trying to react and parse what’s going on.

I actually played a little of DBFZ earlier while T7 was downloading and had fun. It’s not quite as fast and hectic as I was remembering. Still makes me feel like I’m operating with half of my brain.

I forgot how good it is at literally being Dragon Ball Z.

If you haven't, check out the character guide linked in the OP of the tekken thread, check it, it's good. Also check the link to the list of top 10 moves for each character. I'd link em but I'm on phone and lazy.

You're not alone --as a dude new to the series i found it kinda hard to know what characters did what. The signature moves and gameplans aren't really as obvious as hadoukens and shoryukens and stuff so it feels weird when thats your only frame of reference. It's certainly got it's own conventions and style thats foreign.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After playing Tekken for a few dozen hours, my perception of the Tekken 7 archetypes are: Mishimas / breakdancers / Paul / Kazumi with the tiger projectile / Everyone Else

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome Tekken 7 character guide, gives some basics like

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

quote:

Alisa Bosconovitch

Difficulty - Easy

Alisa makes her return in T7. Alisa is a very poke oriented character. She excels at slowly chipping down the opponent with good ranged low and mid pokes. Combine that with her strong sidestep and she's perfect for players who like to play a slow methodical paced game. She has an incredibly strong homing move in 4, a i13 CH launching homing move; this is really good at discouraging the opponent to step allowing Alisa to bully them with pokes. She can also get aggressive and cover space quite quickly with WR2, a high-damage ranged attack that puts her in a very favorable position if blocked. Opponents have to try to predict this attack and either duck or sidestep it which leaves them vulnerable to her poking game. As Alisa is very poke centric, her damage can fall behind as she doesn’t have a lot of moves to make comebacks with.

Pros
Decent poking game
Safe launchers
Strong jab punishes
One of the best stepping in the game.
One of the best homing moves
Strong homing moves

Cons
Poor whiff punishment
Poke game is low damage, she struggles on a life deficit.
Has to play very risky to make a comeback.

Recommended to players who like

Simple poking game
Low execution
Defensive gameplay

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would recommend checking out legendarymihawk character combo tutorial videos on YouTube for the characters you like.

It'll help you get a feel on how combos feel for that particular character. They're not the most optimal but it should give you a decent baseline.

But just pick whatever's fun for you in the end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God dangit I love y’all :love:

Got a bunch of videos in my watch later + some safari tabs ready for me to dive into

The top moves list owwwwns even if I’m going to try to not rely on it too much vs finding things myself

I watched the first Aris video linked in the tekken op on the movement strategy and honestly it made me fall in love with the way Tekken works. That’s cool as hell for real and I can’t wait to work on getting used to it.

Should I take further questions/whatever to that thread?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You should absolutely rely on top moves lists because Tekken has a shitload of moves and you don't know what makes them good or bad. A top moves list helps indicate what's strong so you have a foundation to build off of.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sort of, the strings are what you can dial in, and it has a generous buffer for linking them. But almost all characters have to do things like dash or time a stance transition in their bread and butter combos so that gives it a rhythmic feel.

This guy made a video version of that character guide which you can check out if you want to consume it in video form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

You can probably start with whatever character you think looks coolest doing their stronger moves and BnBs

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Picking the character you think looks coolest is the correct way in every fighting game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Picking the character you think looks coolest and dropping it for a top tier/easier one is the correct way in every fighting game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Play bears

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Picking the character you think looks coolest is the correct way in every fighting game.

https://twitter.com/InternetMonkey_/status/1025965764170268672

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Personally I think you should just start with a character you like most aesthetically and not really put too much stock in the character guide. Character differences in Tekken aren't like Street Fighter where a character's role (zoning, rushdown, mixup, grappler) is pretty clearly delineated. Tekken characters share many of the same tools and its usually a bunch of small differences within those tools or things on the periphery that shape them. Picking a character you like aesthetically gives you something much more concrete to latch onto than any vague ideas about what kinds of moves you want your character to have.

Go into practice mode and start moving around, sidestepping, running, crouching, jumping. Go through the movelist and try out all of the moves, it will get you more used to the buttons and timings. If you can't figure out how to do something in the movelist, note it down and come back to it later. Practice some simple juggle combos to get a feel for distance and how to combine movement with your attacks. Check out the top ten moves for your character and practice doing them, get a feel for the range and any follow ups they might have. Read explanations for why they are considered good and how they can be utilized properly. If you can try and look up a comprehensive guide to your character and follow along as they go through all the moves.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pleb poo poo, you couldn't pay me to subject myself to Jack or Diablo Jim regularly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

100%. Look to the hero who got an Enkidu to grand finals in UNIST and flashed a Buff Enkidu sign in between matches.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Jack owns, try him out :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This is 100% correct. So pretty much everyone should play Narukami/Jin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

*sees Panda in Evo Top 8*

Yes, this checks out

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you should pick a character based on aesthetics but not visual aesthetics

pick the character with the best-feeling buttons to press

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pick the biggest babe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This makes Gigamaidens the hardest FG in existence to find a main in.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you should pick a character based on aesthetics but not visual aesthetics

pick the character with the best-feeling buttons to press

Real talk, that's how I tend to operate. Also the "easy as piss" part because I'm bad and lazy. It's how I always end up stuck with a leggy lady in most FGs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Since we're talking about it, do you all have a type you instantly gravitate towards. Like, I always pick the lady with a gun, in an FG (Eltnum, Blake, Chun-Li is a cop so it counts). Or I love people who are Boxers (Steve, Akihiko, uhhh Boxer) even if I don't always stick with them and cave to the allure of the gun girls.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dias posted:

Real talk, that's how I tend to operate. Also the "easy as piss" part because I'm bad and lazy. It's how I always end up stuck with a leggy lady in most FGs.

i mean following those instructions gave me Sasquatch in VS, Rose in A2, Makoto in 3S, V. Akiha in Melty Blood, and Ms. Fortune in Skullgirls

the only time I've really had to switch to a top-tier was ditching Chipp for Milia in GG

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Since we're talking about it, do you all have a type you instantly gravitate towards. Like, I always pick the lady with a gun, in an FG (Eltnum, Blake, Chun-Li is a cop so it counts). Or I love people who are Boxers (Steve, Akihiko, uhhh Boxer) even if I don't always stick with them and cave to the allure of the gun girls.

I just always pick characters I like based on their character. That's how I end up with like Mai/Es/Terumi in BB, PCiel in Melty, Gord in BBTAG, Kanji/Adachi in P4A, Cerberus in Chaos Code, and Saber in Nitroplus.

Trying to draw a line between those characters based on any sort of shared attributes seems impossible, outside of 'generally likes to be in melee range'.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I play grapplers except I love everything about Gordeau so I'm playing Gordeau/Wald in BBTag. I actually hate how Wald looks but he's really good so I feel like I might as well as play him.

Considering taking the button feel advice and trying Hyde/Wald though!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Since we're talking about it, do you all have a type you instantly gravitate towards.

Dandy stepping characters are my fav.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dias posted:

B.Jenet....is good...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Small hurtbox, goofy personality, great mobility, Beast Cannon or similar move that makes you go forward very quick and suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

I bought and play BBTag just for Mitsuru so this is good advice.

I like flashy characters so I play whoever is loving extra. Hilda throws swords and laughs at you, Baiken shoots a cannon out of the sleeve of her missing arm, Mitsuru arrives to fight in a limo, etc. It's not technical, but it makes me want to get better at the game because I'm having fun and want to learn how to excel at what they do.