Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

el dorito posted:

Make a thread here and I’ll post in it!

I don't really know enough about trees to start a thread. I've always liked them but didn't start to really love them until this year.

I was hoping there would be a thread with other people nerding out over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Koth posted:

Oh, cool! Oh... oh. :(

I believe what you're looking for is actually https://www.reddit.com/r/marijuanaenthusiasts

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Koth posted:

I was hoping there would be a thread with other people nerding out over them.

I spent this weekend in Massachusetts and nerded out the whole time. It's a jungle compared to what I am used to; I even compared pictures of trees here to ones in the far north which are tiny. I don't want to leave new england

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I've spent almost zero time outside, but want to change that. Interested in camping and stuff, hiking National Parks. I'd like to walk the Camino de Santiago some day soon. Where does one begin?!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I never ever knew this entire forum existed. I’ve been lurking the hiking thread in YLLS, wondering how that can be the only outdoor resource.

I’m just excited to check out these threads is all. Gonna upgrade from just hiking to camping this fall.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My fiancee and I are gonna start gearing up to do some camping next year. I haven't gone properly camping in like a decade because of reasons:mad:, and she wants to try it out but was never able to get any of her one thousand and one siblings to commit. So we're gonna shoot for an easy weekend trip like Memorial Day weekend or something. Lots of good state parks and stuff around here to choose from.

I gotta shop for so much gear lol. I always used to borrow other peoples' poo poo except for a sleeping bag, or Be In Boy Scouts.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

deadly_pudding posted:

My fiancee and I are gonna start gearing up to do some camping next year. I haven't gone properly camping in like a decade because of reasons:mad:, and she wants to try it out but was never able to get any of her one thousand and one siblings to commit. So we're gonna shoot for an easy weekend trip like Memorial Day weekend or something. Lots of good state parks and stuff around here to choose from.

I gotta shop for so much gear lol. I always used to borrow other peoples' poo poo except for a sleeping bag, or Be In Boy Scouts.

If you're going on a weekend like that, make sure you book the campsite as far in advance as possible.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

khysanth posted:

If you're going on a weekend like that, make sure you book the campsite as far in advance as possible.

Yeah I plan to book like before the end of November. We're also planning a wedding, so there's a lot.

I'm hoping to score a site up in the Thousand Islands region so we can see Canada from our campsite lol.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Hi outdoor goons!

I'm just about to take the leap into camping with kids :ohdear:

I'm picking up a tent in the end of season sales and going to pick up more gear as the months go on, with the aim of taking it out proper in late spring.

We've done some safari tent camping with small children and it was fun, but that didn't involve having to pitch a tent after a multiple hour drive so that could make things more interesting.

We're pretty lucky in that we live in the middle of England so have easy access to amazing places like the Peak District, Cotswolds and the south west coast isn't too far for us either.

Any handy tips for poo poo I really should buy or avoid would be fantastic!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just make sure the kids have things to do the whole time. Games, hikes, food, etc.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Would it be cool to post a separate thread to discuss Yosemite? I'm going there in May (never been farther west than KS, never have seen a mountain with my own eyeballs) and already planning itineraries. I'm so excited I could puke. You inspired me to take this incredible trip many moons ago, Picnic Princess! I searched Take a Hike! and didn't find a Yosemite-specific thread. I just have logistical questions and basically just love talking about it and looking at pictures of the park. :)

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pig Head posted:

Would it be cool to post a separate thread to discuss Yosemite? I'm going there in May (never been farther west than KS, never have seen a mountain with my own eyeballs) and already planning itineraries. I'm so excited I could puke. You inspired me to take this incredible trip many moons ago, Picnic Princess! I searched Take a Hike! and didn't find a Yosemite-specific thread. I just have logistical questions and basically just love talking about it and looking at pictures of the park. :)

You can probably ask away in the general hiking/backpacking thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3521471&perpage=40

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Hello! I have been away a while, I remember when this was a rotating subforum.

I like to "walk", as opposed to "hike". I do a lot of urban walking, which if you want to call it urban hiking, you can.

I was thinking of making a thread about how I walked from Lo Barnachea to Talagante! And also from Sandy to Forest Grove! Its not actually as straightforward as it seems.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've gone camping 3 times.

First time was with a group of 13-14 people, so it was basically just moving into the woods with my college friends. I'm not sure it counted, I didn't need to move a finger, beyond acting as a porter to bring in the coolers.

Second time, I went camping as my buddy's bachelor party. Again, it was a group event (though only 8 people this time). Again, people knew how to handle their poo poo, I didn't have to fend for myself at all.

We went to a Yurt in a state park.
Wasn't my house, therefor, camping.

I'm hoping to work up the courage to say to my wife, "let's go camping" and back it up with action.

My question for you guys: What drives you to go camping? I like nature, I like going out and not dealing with nonsense from my day-to-day, but I simply cannot prioritize this poo poo at all. Got any tips on how you guys find the time?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm just really passionate about it I guess. Camping/backpacking/wilderness time is a priority for me so I treat it as such. If it's not a priority, it won't happen.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've gone camping 3 times.

First time was with a group of 13-14 people, so it was basically just moving into the woods with my college friends. I'm not sure it counted, I didn't need to move a finger, beyond acting as a porter to bring in the coolers.

Second time, I went camping as my buddy's bachelor party. Again, it was a group event (though only 8 people this time). Again, people knew how to handle their poo poo, I didn't have to fend for myself at all.

We went to a Yurt in a state park.
Wasn't my house, therefor, camping.

I'm hoping to work up the courage to say to my wife, "let's go camping" and back it up with action.

My question for you guys: What drives you to go camping? I like nature, I like going out and not dealing with nonsense from my day-to-day, but I simply cannot prioritize this poo poo at all. Got any tips on how you guys find the time?

Discomfort.

Sleeping on a rock, making GBS threads in a hole, pissing in the bushes.
Burning yourself trying to start a fire, getting bitten by mosquitoes.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Money has directed the construction of an engineered world, and subjugated us all to it's singular purpose. Stepping out from the system renews the spirit. Moments of respite from the toil are available just out the door, no console purchase required. Of course money would have you believe otherwise (see the one remaining active thread on this forum), but the further out you go, the less you need. Take a hike!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sooo, long story short, looks like I'm going to be living in a 1977-79 (not sure about the vintage) Dodge Sportsman camper van for the next couple months. Parked on someone's farm, the land is beautiful --- there's a pristine mountain creek and incredible views of the Blue Ridge mountains. It's on the AT and the property literally borders Jefferson National Forest.

Anyways, I have some car camping experience but would love to chat with anyone who's done the small RV thing, or long-term camping outside. Should I start my own thread here?

I've already learned quite a bit from the mega thread, looking forward to hitting this sub forum more often!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

wesleywillis posted:

Discomfort.

Sleeping on a rock, making GBS threads in a hole, pissing in the bushes.
Burning yourself trying to start a fire, getting bitten by mosquitoes.

Well, I sold the idea. We're going camping this weekend! Over night Manistee. I'm very excited. We're bringing the doggo, who's bound to go loving bonkers. :3:

EDIT:

All done.

Doggo, in fact went bonkers. She was super put off by randos as they hiked the trail and didn't seem to be much at ease.

We didn't prepare properly for the nighttime cold and got little sleep, but otherwise had a wonderful time. We've scheduled another camping trip in the next month too. poo poo yeah goons.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sooo, long story short, looks like I'm going to be living in a 1977-79 (not sure about the vintage) Dodge Sportsman camper van for the next couple months. Parked on someone's farm, the land is beautiful --- there's a pristine mountain creek and incredible views of the Blue Ridge mountains. It's on the AT and the property literally borders Jefferson National Forest.

Anyways, I have some car camping experience but would love to chat with anyone who's done the small RV thing, or long-term camping outside. Should I start my own thread here?

I've already learned quite a bit from the mega thread, looking forward to hitting this sub forum more often!

Actually, I was thinking of making an RV thread. Would that be cool?

Edit: Went and made one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 9, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Quick note about administration in Take a Hike.

TaH's IKs are (and will continue to be) in no particular order, Picnic Princess, Levitate, and Verman. Feel free to contact them with any issues.

Unfortunately IKs don't have access to the reports forums, so any reports in TaH will go to me and/or SoundMonkey. If I happen to be the one to deal with any I'll either deal with them directly or pass them on to Picnic Princess, Levitate, and Verman.

This isn't a change to anything; this is how it's been for some time, but I thought it worth writing down somewhere since there's no user-visible list of sub-subforum mods/IKs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

checkout r/treelaw next

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
hi I posted a backpacking thread in GBS and I dont think it's going to fare well. I'll cross post it here, and continue lurking this sub.

"Welcome to the backpacking thread! Your place for discussing trails, camping tips and whatever else you all want to talk about when it comes to roughing it in the open country!

I would love to be the guy with all the knowledge in the world of backpacking, however I am fairly inexperienced, and will likely be asking more questions than answering them!!! I currently have a massive framed pack, compact sleeping bag, one hammock, a life straw, camel pack, and several other odds and ends, 4 man tent although I will likely be downsizing to a 2 man tent since backpacking means packing smart.

I'm posting this thread now in preparation for the spring season. For a little backstory, I have a lot of this stuff that I have either obtained from people who have replaced their gear, or purchased it because I have a calling, and sadly haven't answered the calling. This is largely due to wanting the 3 of my family to go together and do a short cheap weekend together, but it never pans out. This is largely due in part to my partner(she, i am a dude, but it doesnt matter) is not really the outdoorsy person, and very much a homebody, and I have sort of been waiting for her to show some interest, but I have waited in vain. That leaves myself and my 5 year old son, whom I think would absolutely love to do this. However, safety comes first, and I want to make sure I am 100% ready to take my little boy out into the wilderness, and not end up some buffoon being helicoptered out of the wilderness, forever being an irresponsible father. I will say this, I have done several solo hikes, or duo hikes with adults, and I know my limits physically, and I know my son will probably have as much energy or more to do the same. A lot of this desire stems from my desire to experience life outdoors with my son, and provide some of my own experiences on how to survive out in the wild. This is not at all a prepper thread, but having these skills, to me, seems very important, and involves a whole lot of skills that I think make a lot of sense to have as an upright traveling mammal.

I have this vision, where we can drive out in my Subaru Forester(literally) to a trail parking area, hike for a few hours or more, set up camp, build a camp fire, fish for dinner(of course bringing plenty of food as backup) as I am a capable chef, sleep, wake up and head back to the car. All without taking time off or spending much money. We live in north central Ohio, but according to ODNR, you're not allowed to camp off trail in state parks here, which seems like kind of a bummer. Anyone with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. A lot of these trails have designated camping zones, but I would wager a guess that these are very unprimitive, and will likely be crawling with people. I am not wholly against this, but the idea of this, to me is to escape, and people are pretty lame, particularly when you don't know them. What I would really like to do, after several preparatory outings, is trek up to Michigan's UP and really check out all that sexy wilderness and wildlife, but I know that there are some serious rules to follow, such as permits to camp in remote areas or somesuch.

Anyone have any good online sources with varying levels of prep lists, trail lists, how to get there, and what and what is not acceptable, and advice that they would like recommend? How bout carrying a firearm?

Anyone have any of their own experiences, maybe in blog form, that they would like to share?

How about freshwater fishing? I know that this can be a huge amount of information, so lets keep it in the form of backpacking related fishing.

Talk to me!"

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Any info I can absorb through SA I would appreciate, I know theres a billion "top ten lists" out there but ehhhhhh.

To put things in perspective, I know I will be ok just winging it, but I really want to bring my kid along, and don't want to be THAT guy that fucks up big time. Im thinking Mohican here in Ohio will be the first place I start.

Can you not hike places and throw up a tent anymore?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What about federal forests and similarly federal owned lands?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
How old is your kid? Dunno how much experience he has with hiking but if he's still pretty young then I think you gotta keep the mileage low even if you think they have a ton of energy. E: saw that he's 5, still probably not ready for many miles I think

I don't know much about Ohio at all...but a lot of Park "designated camping areas" on trails and such probably aren't much more than some flat spaces that have been cleared so you're not tearing up new ground whenever you try to make a tent. It's probably worth checking out, it may be less swamped and crazy than you think. Weekdays will also always be less crowded. Even so, just getting out and exploring some of those areas and looking for new places to go is worth doing if you're trying to get started...don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that, first try some easy to plan trips and see how things go and build up your confidence and your camping system etc.

Like el dorito said check out if there are any forest service lands and stuff like that, their rules are generally more lax in terms of camping, camp fires, guns, etc (national parks don't allow guns, state parks might not either...that said, I'd have to ask why you'd want to take one unless it's going to be a hunting trip in a place that it's allowed).

An overnight trip like you describe sounds entirely possible and nice to do with your kid as long as you don't overestimate his abilities

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Levitate posted:

How old is your kid? Dunno how much experience he has with hiking but if he's still pretty young then I think you gotta keep the mileage low even if you think they have a ton of energy. E: saw that he's 5, still probably not ready for many miles I think

I don't know much about Ohio at all...but a lot of Park "designated camping areas" on trails and such probably aren't much more than some flat spaces that have been cleared so you're not tearing up new ground whenever you try to make a tent. It's probably worth checking out, it may be less swamped and crazy than you think. Weekdays will also always be less crowded. Even so, just getting out and exploring some of those areas and looking for new places to go is worth doing if you're trying to get started...don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that, first try some easy to plan trips and see how things go and build up your confidence and your camping system etc.

Like el dorito said check out if there are any forest service lands and stuff like that, their rules are generally more lax in terms of camping, camp fires, guns, etc (national parks don't allow guns, state parks might not either...that said, I'd have to ask why you'd want to take one unless it's going to be a hunting trip in a place that it's allowed).

An overnight trip like you describe sounds entirely possible and nice to do with your kid as long as you don't overestimate his abilities

this seems like sound advice to me

maybe do hiking and car camping (aka drive up to the campsite) on separate occasions to see how things fare individually before combining the two. See if you can get water hookups and on-site toilets to see how you two fare with water conservation and make sure you're not missing anything obvious on a low risk trip.

A one or two mile hike back to the trailhead in an emergency can feel like a lifetime if someone trips...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they don't call me surefoot, that's for sure

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

interwhat posted:

according to ODNR, you're not allowed to camp off trail in state parks here, which seems like kind of a bummer.

Can you not hike places and throw up a tent anymore?

State parks in the farmland region seem to be more "heres a cool cliff with trees/old building/waterfall, we'll put a parking lot and outhouse by it." So camping wherever doesn't match what management is going for. That doesn't mean you have to drive to the UP to get off trail. West Virginia is closer, or if that's still too far just as close to the Ohio river as your driving range allows. Find the biggest green patches on the map and head that way

Garden of Kida
Dec 28, 2012
Hi! I take small hikes, more like walks really, but I love seeing wildlife! I've done small camping trips too, but not since I was like 11. However, I'd like to expand my boundaries a bit and look into camping by kayak and the best ways camp/hike while having pets.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Just found out this subforum exists, hey there. I've been pretty indoors this past year after moving for work, so I set a goal for myself to spend more time outdoors. With my rec sports teams getting cancelled from the virus, I figured it'd be a good time to pick up a bike and start hitting the gravel. Not a lot of hiking in my province, but I think I'd like to learn how to fish once the season opens.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Katana_Warrior posted:

Just found out this subforum exists

Same here. I was looking for something like this, but didn't think to look in DIY.

I really like hiking/backpacking etc, but haven't done much in the past ~8 years due to having lived in a place where it's cold 9 months out of the year and any real nature was ~4 hours away. Now I live near the Rocky Mountains and am stoked to get back to the outdoors!

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
Swedish outdoorsy goon checking in. Just found this sub forum and I love it. Already got some good equipment tips and stuff!

I used to be a avid nature person when I was a kid but kind of lost it when I moved to Stockholm for job purposes. Have gotten more into it the last year or so and planning on using this summer to expand my interest.
Already have two hikes and a canoe trip planned.

I’ve been seeing a lot of cool pictures and stories from the states. Ima hella jealous of your mountains! I have to travel like 6 hours by car to get those kind of views.

But I was wondering if there was any interest from you guys seeing some trip reports from the Swedish countryside?
First trip is this weekend where we’ll be going into an “urskog” (old-growth forest) for just a night. It’s still quite cold during the nights here, we’re mostly out to test out new equipment for the summer.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

Swedish outdoorsy goon checking in. Just found this sub forum and I love it. Already got some good equipment tips and stuff!

I used to be a avid nature person when I was a kid but kind of lost it when I moved to Stockholm for job purposes. Have gotten more into it the last year or so and planning on using this summer to expand my interest.
Already have two hikes and a canoe trip planned.

I’ve been seeing a lot of cool pictures and stories from the states. Ima hella jealous of your mountains! I have to travel like 6 hours by car to get those kind of views.

But I was wondering if there was any interest from you guys seeing some trip reports from the Swedish countryside?
First trip is this weekend where we’ll be going into an “urskog” (old-growth forest) for just a night. It’s still quite cold during the nights here, we’re mostly out to test out new equipment for the summer.

I'd be interested. Maybe make a new thread and post a link here?

I have been buying a lot of gear but I haven't been able to try them out. Work has been crazy and there's the lockdown and riots besides. And summer brings out the insects. On the other hand, I bought a hat for just hiking and now I'm wearing it everyday since I've been unable to get a haircut for months.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

starbucks hermit posted:

I'd be interested. Maybe make a new thread and post a link here?

I have been buying a lot of gear but I haven't been able to try them out. Work has been crazy and there's the lockdown and riots besides. And summer brings out the insects. On the other hand, I bought a hat for just hiking and now I'm wearing it everyday since I've been unable to get a haircut for months.

I’ll definitely do that! Going out Saturday, so probably have something on Monday.

I tend to wear all my new outdoor clothes as leisure wear for a while, they’re just so darn comfortable!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

I’ll definitely do that! Going out Saturday, so probably have something on Monday.

I tend to wear all my new outdoor clothes as leisure wear for a while, they’re just so darn comfortable!

Same. Although my latest pants are cotton (yes, I know that it's a terrible fabric for hiking), they actually work pretty well for everyday clothes since they're so durable.

Might as well, since j crew is filing for bankruptcy. I can shop at rei for overpriced clothes since I'll be working from home anyway.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
NEVER COTTON is like keep both hands on the wheel. Once you know what you are doing you can eat a burrito and drive :piss:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Epitope posted:

NEVER COTTON is like keep both hands on the wheel. Once you know what you are doing you can eat a burrito and drive :piss:

true. I like cotton but synthetic is certainly lighter.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Martin posted:

The weather turned on us and we had to cancel unfortunately. Swedish summer in a nutshell. Ill try to make some updates from our bigger trip in the end of July and hopefully some more after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

The weather turned on us and we had to cancel unfortunately. Swedish summer in a nutshell. Ill try to make some updates from our bigger trip in the end of July and hopefully some more after that.

ah dang

well, I hope the weather cooperates for your later trips!