Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008
People really think auto responses use ai when they haven't deviated since their origins on like Nextel pagers?

There's a lot of "if else" context loops being thrown around as AI nowadays.

It's really funny somebody got mad at their phone over it's perceived noon emotional response to pulling the plug.

One coz it's a phone, and two because it handles complex emotional decisions better than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sir Lemming posted:

I like how Android Messages wants me to respond to "Happy Birthday" texts with "Thanks, you too!" I guess Google's AI is just as awkward as a real CS major. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME WITH THIS, GOOGLE

I texted "oh baby" to my girlfriend, and it suggested "what do you want?" as a reply.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The most disappointing part is eventually it runs out of suggestions (tested on email not SMS) if you and the other party just keep pressing the suggested content.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

revolther posted:

People really think auto responses use ai when they haven't deviated since their origins on like Nextel pagers?

There's a lot of "if else" context loops being thrown around as AI nowadays.

It's really funny somebody got mad at their phone over it's perceived noon emotional response to pulling the plug.

One coz it's a phone, and two because it handles complex emotional decisions better than you.

quote:

In artificial intelligence ... machines are made to behave in wondrous ways, often sufficient to dazzle even the most experienced observer. But once a particular program is unmasked, once its inner workings are explained ... its magic crumbles away; it stands revealed as a mere collection of procedures ... The observer says to himself "I could have written that". With that thought he moves the program in question from the shelf marked "intelligent", to that reserved for curios

Taken from here but written about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA, by its own developer, in 1966.

Holds true still. Particularly now when the term AI gets thrown around so casually by marketing people, or even extremely competent software people, who just want to be rich.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's just funny is all. Extremely complex thing is supposed to work well but sometimes doesn't. Although yeah, an accidental tap could become problematic.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Does gboards swipe texting go from great to absofuckinglutely terrible for random periods of time for anyone else? So incredibly frustrating and making me want to ditch gboard altogether.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

manwithoutskin posted:

Does gboards swipe texting go from great to absofuckinglutely terrible for random periods of time for anyone else? So incredibly frustrating and making me want to ditch gboard altogether.

Yes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

manwithoutskin posted:

Absolutely. I stick with Swiftkey because, even though it's terrible, it's consistently terrible. I never know what will happen on Gboard and that's worse.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

manwithoutskin posted:

yes. without rhyme or reason.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Fuckin' same, and it's especially bad for me lately. It's not even consistently capitalizing "I." God, I miss Swype.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

manwithoutskin posted:

yup. I keep trying to quit using Swype but I can't because GBoard is so frustrating.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, what timescale is the typing quality variability happening on? Like is one word good then the next bad? Or is it per input session, apk release, etc?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Steely Glint posted:

Out of curiosity, what timescale is the typing quality variability happening on? Like is one word good then the next bad? Or is it per input session, apk release, etc?

yes.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In case anyone is wondering, the support folks over at Nova Launcher got back to me and said that they'd fix the folder issue in a future update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Steely Glint posted:

It's not so much word to word or even session to session (though it does happen) but over longer periods of time and I don't think it's tied to release. I honestly believe it's server side. Toast Museum's comment about "I" is correct and an easy one to look for and it really just comes and goes. It's absolutely infuriating.

I've pretty much given up Swype but Swype even in its deprecated state is far, far more reliable and consistent. Of course its emoji list is no longer getting updated and some have just disappeared so there are problems in sticking with that.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I always thought there was something weird with the ratings for apps in the app store, like the scores would be too high for the general tone of the reviews. This is all the reviews for this app (telegram fast); they are clearly not representing the ratings correctly in the graphs at the top.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My phone just updated to pie and I absolutely hate the clock being on the left hand side of the notification bar. Anyone know if any apps to let me modify that? I looked at Material Status Bar, but the permissions on that seemed excessive.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You'll get used to it, it's not that big a deal

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

elmer chud posted:

I always thought there was something weird with the ratings for apps in the app store, like the scores would be too high for the general tone of the reviews. This is all the reviews for this app (telegram fast); they are clearly not representing the ratings correctly in the graphs at the top.

I've rated a bunch of apps, but never written a review. Why would you think that the reviews have to be representative of the overall ratings?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Modern Leper posted:

I've rated a bunch of apps, but never written a review. Why would you think that the reviews have to be representative of the overall ratings?

I think they're referring to how the graph only shows 2 one-star ratings but there are more than two reviews in the screenshot that show the reviewer gave it one star. And I think the answer here is that it's a new app: a lot of big websites have systems where some statistics (such as user ratings) aren't re-calculated instantly every time one new bit of information comes in, so the reviews are shown here but the newer ratings haven't been rolled into the big overall number on top. I've seen this on YouTube once in a while, when a newly-uploaded video goes super viral but the view counter stays at like 300 for hours

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think the answer here is that it's a new app: a lot of big websites have systems where some statistics (such as user ratings) aren't re-calculated instantly every time one new bit of information comes in, so the reviews are shown here but the newer ratings haven't been rolled into the big overall number on top.
It's this. Play Store stats mostly seem to recalculate once a day or so.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

You'll get used to it, it's not that big a deal

You're probably right, but until then I'm looking in the left corner every two seconds thinking there's a notification I missed. I'd really prefer to be able to change it if that's possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

You're probably right, but until then I'm looking in the left corner every two seconds thinking there's a notification I missed. I'd really prefer to be able to change it if that's possible.

You can't move it (without rooting) but you can get rid of the clock altogether.

Dunno if that's something you'd be interested in doing but that's your only other option.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You can't move it (without rooting) but you can get rid of the clock altogether.

Dunno if that's something you'd be interested in doing but that's your only other option.

That might work for me. You mind letting me know how to do that though? I dug through the settings and did a quick Google search and only saw suggestions to make the notification bar text black and use a black wallpaper. I don't want to lose all the icons though, just this dang clock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

That might work for me. You mind letting me know how to do that though? I dug through the settings and did a quick Google search and only saw suggestions to make the notification bar text black and use a black wallpaper. I don't want to lose all the icons though, just this dang clock.

If you use Nova Launcher (or even if you don't), use it to create a widget of an Activity. The selection should be System UI > System UI demo mode.

Once it's placed, click the widget and select "Status Bar", then at the bottom "Time". Select "Don't show this icon".

You can then remove the widget if you don't intend to venture back into the System UI Tuner.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

If you use Nova Launcher (or even if you don't), use it to create a widget of an Activity. The selection should be System UI > System UI demo mode.

Once it's placed, click the widget and select "Status Bar", then at the bottom "Time". Select "Don't show this icon".

You can then remove the widget if you don't intend to venture back into the System UI Tuner.

Thanks! I'm already in love with Nova but had no idea I could do stuff like that with the widget. I need to actually look into all the stuff it can do apparently.

I appreciate it!

Edit: Well apparently the clock only stays hidden until I pull down the notification shade and then it comes back and persists until I re-disable it. It was a good idea though. I guess I'm stuck.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 11, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Edit: Well apparently the clock only stays hidden until I pull down the notification shade and then it comes back and persists until I re-disable it. It was a good idea though. I guess I'm stuck.

Seriously? Holy poo poo, you're right.

Sorry, I didn't test it, I just knew the option was in the System UI Tuner (although I had every intention of using it on the Pixel 3 XL which can only show two notification icons at maximum). That sucks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Honestly you'll get used to it pretty quickly, a few days thinking you have a notification and then you won't care any more

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Honestly you'll get used to it pretty quickly, a few days thinking you have a notification and then you won't care any more

This is true but at the same time it's a dumb concession to a dumb idea and I certainly understand and sympathize anyone wishing it were reverted. It'd be one thing if it helped solve the problem at hand, which preventing status icons from being cut off by a notch (as those have nowhere else to live), but to break Android's primary UX paradigm of notifications leading to action is a fool's tradeoff.

The fact is that statusbar real estate is too valuable and is so populated that all compromises are detrimental to usage in some way. Until notches go away no one's going to be satisfied.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

My phone just updated to pie and I absolutely hate the clock being on the left hand side of the notification bar. Anyone know if any apps to let me modify that? I looked at Material Status Bar, but the permissions on that seemed excessive.
Isn't that the point of Oreo and Pie though, you don't have to give it all the permissions it asks for, just the ones you are comfortable with. You could also just look for a system wide modification rather than an app, or an exposed module if that's not irrelevant.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is it really dumb that Digital Wellness won't let me see how many times I unlocked my phone on previous days? The only information I get about the past is total phone usage, which I'm not terribly interested in.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It does?

See that screenshot I posted in the main thread earlier, you can click the different days and change the drop down above

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend any good workout tracking apps? Something that makes it easy to log and visualize cardiovascular exercises would be great. If it also has some kind of running route tracker too that would be awesome, but that's less of a necessity.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Montalvo posted:

Can anyone recommend any good workout tracking apps? Something that makes it easy to log and visualize cardiovascular exercises would be great. If it also has some kind of running route tracker too that would be awesome, but that's less of a necessity.

Strava?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Strava or runkeeper are solid

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone using Cricket, maybe only on Pie with a Pixel? My visual voicemail app isn't pulling up new messages, just flashing "no connectivity" at the bottom at a rapid rate. Dunno if it's because of Pie or the service itself being screwy.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Would any of you recognize what app this notification icon is for?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't but what does it lead to when you slide it and hit the gear?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

goose willis posted:

Would any of you recognize what app this notification icon is for?

Ibotta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

LastInLine posted:

I don't but what does it lead to when you slide it and hit the gear?

I see it a lot on screenshots, so I was wondering what it was!

Theeere we go, thanks!