Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intel NVMe QLC 512GB for 99 bux.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ID=1800524&SID=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

QLC is here, and ATs review was pretty interesting:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13078/the-intel-ssd-660p-ssd-review-qlc-nand-arrives/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The 660p keeps most of the data as SLC until the capacity of QLC becomes necessary.

Holy poo poo really? 512GB/4 = 128GB.. of SLC'ish NAND? Huh.. thats really interesting.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The 1TB version is a very fast NVMe drive as long as you never go beyond 140GB SLC and at the worst a SATA3 one if you do. The endurance at half the 960 Evo is also a total non issue for consumer workloads especially considering how potentially cheap the replacements in the next 3 years will be. After the usual -33% SSD firesale discounts it would be ~$140, and this price it's a complete no brainer over current $170 1TB SATA TLC SSDs.

I can see SATA QLC drives are going to be even cheaper like <$100/TB, small wonder WD is downsizing their HDD operations.

EDIT: And a big :lol: at people still beating up the write endurance boogeyman.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 8, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Crucial MX300 525 GB 2.5" for $80. Despite being a previous-gen model it's a better drive than the low-end DRAMless stuff around the same price. Also this is the product line to which the OEM Micron 1100 (notably the cheap 2 TB version) belongs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd still contend the 500GB MX500 is a better buy at $100 - for a primary drive. This would be fine for a Steam/secondary drive.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's not bad per se except the MX500 500GB has hit $80 days ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Palladium posted:

The 1TB version is a very fast NVMe drive as long as you never go beyond 140GB SLC and at the worst a SATA3 one if you do. .

Can you explain this?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lockback posted:

Can you explain this?

The 1TB version has a 140GB SLC cache, the controller writes data to the fast cache first before writing to the slow QLC NAND. If no more than 140GB gets stored on the drive there isn't any performance penalty incurred by accessing the slow QLC since all the data can be 100% mapped on the cache. However once more data gets written over that 140GB the cache becomes less and less effective and the effects of slow QLC gets increasingly felt.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
From what I remember reading in reviews, it's not that it has a 140 GB SLC cache, it's that it can either write the cells in SLC mode or QLC mode - the former is faster, the latter has higher capacity. So to start, the drive will run entirely in SLC mode, and then as it fills up it starts switching more and more over to QLC mode, degrading performance as the drive gets more and more full.

128 GB of real SLC would be a lot, like easily $1000+ even at current market prices.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd still contend the 500GB MX500 is a better buy at $100 - for a primary drive. This would be fine for a Steam/secondary drive.

The MX500 is indeed $90 right now on Amazon, and was available more cheaply with the SAVE15 coupon on Rakuten recently. At $100 though it's still a 25% increase in price for comparable drives, and you're underestimating the MX300's performance (as a mainstream drive with DRAM, albeit a little older,) plus there are far better candidates for secondary (bulk storage) SSDs in even cheaper, DRAMless options like the Inland for as low as $70/500 GB or the SU650/1 TB for $128 (available NOW on Rakuten, code AD22.)

Paul MaudDib posted:

From what I remember reading in reviews, it's not that it has a 140 GB SLC cache, it's that it can either write the cells in SLC mode or QLC mode - the former is faster, the latter has higher capacity. So to start, the drive will run entirely in SLC mode, and then as it fills up it starts switching more and more over to QLC mode, degrading performance as the drive gets more and more full.

128 GB of real SLC would be a lot, like easily $1000+ even at current market prices.

It has some permanent SLC cache (6-24 GB depending on capacity) and then the rest of the QLC operates in SLC mode but then is "folded" back into QLC as it's filled.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm running my OS and non-game apps off of a NVMe Samsung Evo 960.

Its pretty fast, but I swear my boot time was faster off of my standard SSD (an 850 Evo, currently my secondary drive) in my old PC. Its a totally minor quibble but maybe I missed something?

I've got the Samsung SSD drivers installed and Samsung Magician says everything is good. Fast boot is enabled in the bios. Without fast startup enabled in power settings (which I turn off because I had problems with my PC not shutting down properly in the past) it takes about 10 seconds to boot (first world problems, I know, I know) but on my old PC from an SSD it was about 6 seconds to boot.

Have I just missed a bios setting somewhere?

EDIT: I should say, when I talk about boot times, I'm talking post-post screen, Windows 10 loading screen.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 8, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Do you have Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode (GPT partition scheme on your boot drive)?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Do you have Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode (GPT partition scheme on your boot drive)?

Yup.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Boot time is meaningless. Most of the time is spent initializing drivers/hardware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Depending on your board, it may not be capable of natively booting from NVMe, and instead using an oprom. Loading oproms will kill your boot times, this was a common complaint back when NVMe first surfaced maybe around the Z97 days.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's also motherboard dependent for whatever reason. I had an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 that would hit the desktop in about 5 seconds after hitting the power button! It was incredible. One of the boards bullet points was ULTRA FAST BOOT. lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
No extra 3rd party bullshit to probe on boot probably. Doing stuff like making sure you only have what you’re booting from in the boot order helps a lot, no lan trying to pxe boot etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've had motherboards with options for faster bios booting, which would go from power on to windows startup in a couple seconds. Win7 and a much older SSD so not super fast after that, but the bios was quick.

I always turn those things off though, I only reboot my desktop once a month so don't much care about boot time. And I like having more time to hit whatever key for bios setup.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is the EX920 a reasonable sidegrade to the 960 Evo or should I just pony up the Samsung Tax?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is the EX920 a reasonable sidegrade to the 960 Evo or should I just pony up the Samsung Tax?

It looks pretty decent honestly. You could probably go either way based on price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

For all intents and purposes they'll perform the same:

Why not the 970 EVO, though? There's nothing egregiously wrong with it - it just didn't blow the doors off everyone's estimates for how fast it'd be as an 'upgrade' to the 960 EVO.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Micron 1100 2 TB 2.5" for $245 after code PLM50 through the 15th.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Want....to push....button....

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Atomizer posted:

Micron 1100 2 TB 2.5" for $245 after code PLM50 through the 15th.

Seems to throttle down to like 250-300 MB/s after writing data to it for a little while (16+ gigs/when it hits 60 celsius?). That loving price though.

Mini Review on the Micron 1100 SSD Just someone copying a lot of data between their two SSDs back and forth to test sustained throughput.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 11, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I took a chance and used the 15% off everything eBay coupon to grab one of those Inland 480 GB SSDs, and I lucked out in getting the older, Centon-based (with DRAM) version for under $70, so that's pretty great!

havenwaters posted:

Seems to throttle down to like 250-300 MB/s after writing data to it for a little while (16+ gigs/when it hits 60 celsius?). That loving price though.

Mini Review on the Micron 1100 SSD Just someone copying a lot of data between their two SSDs back and forth to test sustained throughput.

Yeah, it's all about the price though. The Micron 1100, btw, is the OEM version of the MX300, so search for the latter if you want to be able to find more information in reviews.

Edit: Through the 14th, Rakuten has a 15% off code of BTS15 which can be used on other SSDs if the 2 TB Micron is too much.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 12, 2018

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/13/flash_oversupply_analysis/

quote:

Objective Analysis' Jim Handy, speaking at last week’s Flash Memory Summit, confirmed we are in a flash over-supply situation, and there will be a downward pricing correction, if not collapse, close to the production cost of 64-layer 3D NAND, meaning $0.08/GB in 2019. Handy characterized it as the largest-ever price correction in the history of semiconductor products.
He said he sees a trend for NAND prices to fall to roughly 25 per cent of their current prices. If SSD prices go down in lock-step, then we are looking at a 75 per cent cost reduction in their prices.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:jackbud:

8c/GB jesus christ

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Thanks Ants posted:

:jackbud:

8c/GB jesus christ

prices of finished drives will stay the same, because we have to increase profits.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeesh, and I was happy about the prices of SSDs like this:

Microcenter has an Inland 512 GB NVMe (2 lane) for $110. The similar SX6000 apparently gets excessively hot so for around the same price this could be an alternative worth trying, at least until the SX8200 (4 lane) goes on sale again.

They also came out with a 1 TB Inland 2.5" drive for $155. Nobody's opened it up so we don't know who makes it, but the absence of heavy overprovisioning (i.e. not 960 GB) and a 660 TBW for 3D TLC suggest it has DRAM. Around $150 for a 1 TB drive with DRAM is a good price [currently].

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If we have $160 2TB drives next year I'm going to be looking at running an all-flash NAS at home a lot sooner than I thought.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SU800 1 TB for $139 after code AD23. This is the better of the two commonly sold Adata drives, the SU650 being DRAMless.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

prices of finished drives will stay the same, because we have to increase profits.

we're more likely to get one of those humorous situations like the mx500 releasing for far cheaper than the mx300 and retailers being loath to tick their prices down, causing hundreds of thousands of mx300s to be rebought by micron and reshelled as 1100s to be sold through third party enterprise distributors at half of the price the mx300 sold for

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

we're more likely to get one of those humorous situations like the mx500 releasing for far cheaper than the mx300 and retailers being loath to tick their prices down, causing hundreds of thousands of mx300s to be rebought by micron and reshelled as 1100s to be sold through third party enterprise distributors at half of the price the mx300 sold for

Having just bought a 2tb 1100 for 250 i am ok with this.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You know what? This timeline ain't half bad.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB 4-lane NVMe is back on sale for $100 after coupon code AD17.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mushkin Triactor 500 GB for $80 through the end of today. Decent 3D TLC 2.5" with DRAM.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Would anyone consider a used 860 pro/960 pro from amazon warehouse? I figure there's not much you can do to them that won't just make it DoA (and warrantyable).

They come down pretty good in price from time to time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

Would anyone consider a used 860 pro/960 pro from amazon warehouse? I figure there's not much you can do to them that won't just make it DoA (and warrantyable).

Does the warehouse deal make them cheaper than a new Evo or equivalent TLC NVMe drive? Does your use case actually need a Pro?

One of those would have to be a Yes for me to consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Harik posted:

A lot of the warehouse deals are due to damaged packaging so I'd give it a shot. If the drive has a problem then you'll get amazon quality return service. I mostly buy hand tools from warehouse deals but they've all been in perfect shape with maybe a dinged up cardboard box or something.