Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the keyboard is so bad. What the heck were they thinking? The keys barely go in when you press. This means theres no good laptops anymore. holy crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I agree

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Are these still the same models that the space key spontaneously pops off of? That they finally acknowledged was a problem after like 2 years? lol

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Are these still the same models that the space key spontaneously pops off of? That they finally acknowledged was a problem after like 2 years? lol

That’s a feature you are using it incorrectly

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Buy a $400 Chromebook OP.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
you deserve this for not wearing the hat op

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

are you telling me i can't run silverligjt on this piece of junk

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

are there still laptops with the little nub in the middle of the keyboard I can sensually rub like it was a nipple?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

are there still laptops with the little nub in the middle of the keyboard I can sensually rub like it was a nipple?

Many lenovo laptops still have clitmice

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Its the greatest laptop ever made if you are a developer w/ high limit credit cards

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
At least Steve Jorbs had a vision and the chutzpah to ensure poo poo was quality. poo poo human being... definitely.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All laptops suck, and if you buy a laptop for gaming like I had to(need to be portable for work stuff also) then you are a failson to gaming and should turn in your cheeto chopsticks.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

SwissCM posted:

Also still in use on some HP's (zbook range).
Which are better laptops than macbooks, get this they actually have ports and they don't wait 3 years to refresh the range.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Lol if you use a MacBook, why?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

2011 was the last year macbooks were good since you could still change all the parts out and upgrade stuff.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k&t=25s

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My 2013 MacBook Pro is still as quick and nice as the day I bought it which is something I adore about it. But also a family member bought it for me for college so I didn’t really buy it. If it broke today I’m not sure I’d replace it because I realized I’m significantly more productive on a windows desktop with a bigger monitor.

I’d probably get a mid range chrome book if I was just going to use it for word processing and typical media consumption again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A friend texted me the other day that he was going to purchase one of the new MacBooks, but he found they removed the HD recovery port, meaning all your data is gone if your motherboard ever dies (and the motherboards on MacBooks aren't known for, uh, not dying). So he swore off MacBooks permanently. I told him to get a ThinkPad, T series and he's going to.

Coincidentally, I just received my Thinkpad T25 (25th Anniversary Edition) laptop to replace my 9 year old T420, and a few things struck me as pretty amazing when I took off the back cover to upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Not only does this laptop have an external battery (something that is getting more rare by the day), but it has an internal battery as well. On top of that, the internal battery is extremely easy to replace. Suck it, Crapple.

Here's some pics from when I opened it to double the RAM:

The desk is in my garage so no, I don't care that it's scratched.

So not only are both batteries incredibly easy to replace, but there's space and ports for TWO hard drives, a spot for an extra stick of RAM (remember when you could upgrade RAM?), 3 USB ports, full-sized HDMI and RJ-45, thunderbolt, memory card reader, and more. I can even choose a classic-style dock where I just plop it down on the $35 dock I got off eBay instead of buying some $300 thunderbolt bullshit that I have to plug in like a jackass every time.

If the motherboard ever dies, I can actually retrieve my data. The keyboard does not die from a spec of dust; in fact this keyboard is the classic-style "switch" and not the Chiclet bullshit. If EITHER of the TWO batteries ever die, the laptop does not get thrown in the trash.

Oh and best of all........A MATTE loving SCREEN. Even though it's a touchscreen, they still knew nobody wants that glossy trash that used to be exclusive to poo poo-tier laptops in the mid 2000s.

And yet it somehow manages to do all of this while still having great battery life, and while remaining thin and light (like me). The trackpad is great for gestures and scrolling, and as always, the trackpoint nub is the greatest mouse pointer known to man.

My final thought of the day; the T470 and T480 are almost identical except they have Chiclet keyboards, so if the keyboard isn't a big deal to you, you can go with those over the 25th Anniversary Edition. Because the T series Thinkpads aren't made by sadomasochists in Cupertino, you can do all of the things mentioned above re: actually owning the hardware you buy.

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

A friend texted me the other day that he was going to purchase one of the new MacBooks, but he found they removed the HD recovery port, meaning all your data is gone if your motherboard ever dies (and the motherboards on MacBooks aren't known for, uh, not dying). So he swore off MacBooks permanently. I told him to get a ThinkPad, T series and he's going to.

Coincidentally, I just received my Thinkpad T25 (25th Anniversary Edition) laptop to replace my 9 year old T420, and a few things struck me as pretty amazing when I took off the back cover to upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Not only does this laptop have an external battery (something that is getting more rare by the day), but it has an internal battery as well. On top of that, the internal battery is extremely easy to replace. Suck it, Crapple.

So not only are both batteries incredibly easy to replace, but there's space and ports for TWO hard drives, a spot for an extra stick of RAM (remember when you could upgrade RAM?), 3 USB ports, full-sized HDMI and RJ-45, thunderbolt, memory card reader, and more. I can even choose a classic-style dock where I just plop it down on the $35 dock I got off eBay instead of buying some $300 thunderbolt bullshit that I have to plug in like a jackass every time.

If the motherboard ever dies, I can actually retrieve my data. The keyboard does not die from a spec of dust; in fact this keyboard is the classic-style "switch" and not the Chiclet bullshit. If EITHER of the TWO batteries ever die, the laptop does not get thrown in the trash.

Oh and best of all........A MATTE loving SCREEN. Even though it's a touchscreen, they still knew nobody wants that glossy trash that used to be exclusive to poo poo-tier laptops in the mid 2000s.

And yet it somehow manages to do all of this while still having great battery life, and while remaining thin and light (like me). The trackpad is great for gestures and scrolling, and as always, the trackpoint nub is the greatest mouse pointer known to man.

My final thought of the day; the T470 and T480 are almost identical except they have Chiclet keyboards, so if the keyboard isn't a big deal to you, you can go with those over the 25th Anniversary Edition. Because the T series Thinkpads aren't made by sadomasochists in Cupertino, you can do all of the things mentioned above re: actually owning the hardware you buy.

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

Mods? Can we get the gay nerd shilling to make Apple look better by comparison out of here?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

The real rear end workhorse in an ocean of bullshit

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, I did the MacBook pro to Lenovo swap too, 'pro' should mean MORE possibilities for connectors, ram, storage, etc. Plus Bash / Ubuntu on Windows 10 Is close enough to get work done, something that was not true of cygwin.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

eh, nah

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I got a brand new MacBook Pro and I agree with the op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

I work for ... let's say more than a decent sized business and we're a Lenovo shop. 90% of my users have laptops, with the T420/430 going obsolete a few years ago. I do light repairing, imaging, and supporting of the current stuff.

Let me just say that based on my years of experience and your write up:
"Heh. Hehe. Hehehe!"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

Big Beef City posted:

I work for ... let's say more than a decent sized business and we're a Lenovo shop. 90% of my users have laptops, with the T420/430 going obsolete a few years ago. I do light repairing, imaging, and supporting of the current stuff.

"Heh. Hehe. Hehehe!"

Does this mean you agree or disagree?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SwissCM posted:

lol

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Windows Subsystem for Linux is not that bad these days. The T series also make good hackintoshes if you want to go full retard

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The T420/T430 is the GOAT

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

"Heh. Hehe. Hehehe!"

They’re so bad we started calling them Lenogos

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

The T420/T430 is the GOAT

gently caress that thing, so so many hours of my life wasted to the computer hanging while excel calculates or autosaves.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What's that you say? A major corporation shouldn't be doing most of their work in 30mb excel binary files while using twelve year old hardware? Yes you are probably correct.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

Holy poo poo man...ITS JUST A COMPUTER!

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

What's that you say? A major corporation shouldn't be doing most of their work in 30mb excel binary files while using twelve year old hardware? Yes you are probably correct.

Pft. Yeah let me know when this stops happening

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I got a Dell... something or other at work recently. It has a bunch of full size ports, a clit mouse, card slots, matte screen, etc., and it came with a dock so I can plop it down on my desk and instantly be connected to my monitors and a real keyboard/mouse. It's OK.

schmug
May 20, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Not only does this $2000 POS that work got me have a clitmouse, its clitmouse has its own clitmouse buttons! Awww-yeah.

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 11, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They're good OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

schmug posted:

Not only does this $2000 POS that work got me have a clitmouse, it's clitmouse has its own clitmouse buttons! Awww-yeah.

Lol, that might actually be the one I was just talking about

• Locked thread