Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I somehow missed The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck until a couple of days ago and I just want to say I'm enjoying the gently caress out of the crazy roller coaster that is Catherine Tate's voice acting for Magica. Whoever cast Tate for the role scored a goddamn coup, she just so charismatic and I can't wait for the finale to see her and Scrooge finally come face to face, because her and David Tennant always have a blast in whatever they're in together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Catherine Tate is Magica De Spell? :psyboom:

Like I knew most of the other voice cast, but guess I didn't bother looking up the villains and poo poo.

Doctor Who parody ep when?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty funny given her casting was at first controversial in Doctor Who, being known more for cringe comedy, but she turns out to play off David Tennant really well and has a lot more range than they thought. She can clearly do cartoon supervillainy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Donna is the best 10th Companion and I'll die on this hill :colbert:

gently caress Rose forever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

gently caress Rose forever.

There was a clone of the Doctor for that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blehhhhhh she reached levels of Mary Sue that shouldn't even be possible.

I wish 10 had more Moffat episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh back during the one good season that was true...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Infinitum posted:

Now where have I seen that Spear before?

Launchpad cosplaying was the bessstttt Especially the Donald ragefit

We had subtitles on and they put in "Imitating Donald's tantrum"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Infinitum posted:

Blehhhhhh she reached levels of Mary Sue that shouldn't even be possible.

I wish 10 had more Moffat episodes.

can someone explain this comic to me, I have never watched Doctor Who in my life but I like this comic and wish to understand it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

paradoxGentleman posted:

can someone explain this comic to me, I have never watched Doctor Who in my life but I like this comic and wish to understand it

10th doctor was an angsty anime, 11th doctor was a goofy manchild/grandpa in a young man's body.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

The Doctor is an alien who upon death "regenerates" with all his memories intact, but a new body and different personality.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Avalerion posted:

The Doctor is an alien who upon death "regenerates" with all his memories intact, but a new body and different personality.

Also he travels around time and space* with a sexy young lady, who is replaced frequently with a younger sexier lady.

*Approximately 60% of all space adventures take place in modern London

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Which one was Kilgrave in Jessica Jones?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Scrooge.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Moon Slayer posted:

Which one was Kilgrave in Jessica Jones?

Doctor Ten(nant)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Infinitum posted:

Catherine Tate is Magica De Spell? :psyboom:

Like I knew most of the other voice cast, but guess I didn't bother looking up the villains and poo poo.

Doctor Who parody ep when?

Honestly so far in this series I feel like Kate Micucci is stealing the show in terms of the voice acting. It probably helps that she's not really doing a "voice" she just naturally sounds exactly like that.

I also thought it was neat that Lin-Manuel Miranda did not go full on WACKY but gave a relatively restrained performance. I have to wonder if they weren't planning to bring him in for the Sky Pirates in the Sky captain character and then changed their minds to give him bigger billing.

Also since I just found this thread let me call back a bit:

I fuckin' loved the Gummi Bears episode as soon as I saw that silhouette I was bouncing here and there and everywhere

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly so far in this series I feel like Kate Micucci is stealing the show in terms of the voice acting. It probably helps that she's not really doing a "voice" she just naturally sounds exactly like that.
Webby's definitely higher pitched, but yeah, otherwise it's mostly just her being her and she's been amazing.

quote:

I also thought it was neat that Lin-Manuel Miranda did not go full on WACKY but gave a relatively restrained performance. I have to wonder if they weren't planning to bring him in for the Sky Pirates in the Sky captain character and then changed their minds to give him bigger billing.
I think he was tapped specifically to play Fenton.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Scrolling back through the thread:

HIJK posted:

I put forth that both Gyros are good and that the old Duck Tales holds up so long as you remember it for the ridiculously sweet and cute 80s piece that it is.

I actually went back and rewatched the first season of the original series a few years ago, before this relaunch was announced, and it absolutely holds up. It's not as sophisticated as the current incarnation, but it nails the sense of Indiana-Jonesy fun that's the core of the franchise.

Also, fight me on this I dare you, but the original series version of the theme song is just better. Not everything is improved by vocal fry.

What's actually hard to read are the original Carl Barks comics. I picked up a volume from a Fantagraphics sale a while back and while the story was brilliant every few pages there would be the casual racism we all expect from 1950's era Disney. Even Scrooge himself is a bit of a racist stereotype (as being tight-fisted is a stereotype of the Scots). Still excellent storytelling etc, just every few pages, *wince*, like reading old TinTin

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, if you read pretty much any classic adventure fiction you're going to encounter that sort of stuff in spades. The entire genre is built on exoticizing and othering non-Western cultures. Hell, the Indiana Jones movies are full of that sort of stereotype-driven, cartoonish racism themselves. It's something where everyone's tolerance is going to be different, but I have no issue taking that stuff as a product of its era :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, if you read pretty much any classic adventure fiction you're going to encounter that sort of stuff in spades. The entire genre is built on exoticizing and othering non-Western cultures. Hell, the Indiana Jones movies are full of that sort of stereotype-driven, cartoonish racism themselves. It's something where everyone's tolerance is going to be different, but I have no issue taking that stuff as a product of its era :shrug:

Oh yeah. The problem is that one of the seminal texts of archaeology-pulp was the Fu Manchu series, which was explicitly, "The Nazis are literally the strong aryan protagonists fighting the Yellow Devil" racist, to the point that the last novel in the series was published in 1939 for *reasons*

It's actually bizarre reading Fu Manchu today because any modern reader, you get more than a few pages in, you start to realize Fu Manchu is actually the hero to any modern audience and the purported protagonists are the clearly racist villains. The central stroke of genius behind the entire Indiana Jones franchise was "Ok, let's write Fu Manchu stories, but this time we make the Nazis the villains"

You just have to be able to read it with a certain amount of academic distance I think is all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Oh yeah. The problem is that one of the seminal texts of archaeology-pulp was the Fu Manchu series, which was explicitly, "The Nazis are literally the strong aryan protagonists fighting the Yellow Devil" racist, to the point that the last novel in the series was published in 1939 for *reasons*

It's actually bizarre reading Fu Manchu today because any modern reader, you get more than a few pages in, you start to realize Fu Manchu is actually the hero to any modern audience and the purported protagonists are the clearly racist villains. The central stroke of genius behind the entire Indiana Jones franchise was "Ok, let's write Fu Manchu stories, but this time we make the Nazis the villains"

You just have to be able to read it with a certain amount of academic distance I think is all.

I've got a copy of the first Fu Manchu book, and I've been meaning to read it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/GLove39/status/1025727777063006208

Fictional duck billionaire publicly drags fictional orange billionaire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall hearing the American government explicitly told them to stop making Fu Manchu stories because the Chinese are their allies against the Japanese now.

He mostly appears solely in parodies now, famously in that one joke trailer played by Nicholas Cage, and also in a one-panel joke in the TF2 comics where he was the original Spy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe there's also some sort of copyright issue around Fu Manchu so you can never actually name the character if you use him. So in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he's only ever called "the Doctor" or "the Lord of Limehouse" while in Kim Newman novels he's exclusively referred to as "the Lord of Strange Deaths".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe there's also some sort of copyright issue around Fu Manchu so you can never actually name the character if you use him. So in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he's only ever called "the Doctor" or "the Lord of Limehouse" while in Kim Newman novels he's exclusively referred to as "the Lord of Strange Deaths".

If I recall properly it's mostly just that the estate of his creator are pretty aggressive in both protecting and licensing his trademarks

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Will we ever find out about Webby's folks?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Will we ever find out about Webby's folks?

Assuming she's actually from the comics and not another creation of the original show like Launchpad, have we ever actually seen or heard of either of her birth parents in any form of media?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall hearing the American government explicitly told them to stop making Fu Manchu stories because the Chinese are their allies against the Japanese now.

He mostly appears solely in parodies now, famously in that one joke trailer played by Nicholas Cage, and also in a one-panel joke in the TF2 comics where he was the original Spy.

It was also that the original books were explicitly pro-fascist.

Like, I can't emphasize this enough. The final Fu Manchu book, published in 1939, features a dastardly plot by Fu Manchu to prevent international race war by assassinating a hitler analogue, and the heroes are working to save Hitler so that a glorious Aryan race war can still happen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You honestly can’t make that sort of poo poo up.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You mean he didn't get his start building weather machines to make ships sink and double-crossing the three-piece-suit wearing daughter of a drug dealer? This is a double disappointment.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It was also that the original books were explicitly pro-fascist.

Like, I can't emphasize this enough. The final Fu Manchu book, published in 1939, features a dastardly plot by Fu Manchu to prevent international race war by assassinating a hitler analogue, and the heroes are working to save Hitler so that a glorious Aryan race war can still happen.

I don't know about the fascism content, but according to Wikipedia the Fu Manchu series lasted until 1959.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't know about the fascism content, but according to Wikipedia the Fu Manchu series lasted until 1959.

Weird, yeah, this is like a Berenstain Bears moment for me. But yeah the title I was talking about was Drums of Fu Manchu I'm pretty sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of the Barks comics, does anyone have a collection they'd recommend if I wanted to dip my feet into it? I read some of the comics when I was younger but have kept meaning to get to back to the classics as an adult.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

feedmyleg posted:

Speaking of the Barks comics, does anyone have a collection they'd recommend if I wanted to dip my feet into it? I read some of the comics when I was younger but have kept meaning to get to back to the classics as an adult.

I'd probably point you here: http://www.fantagraphics.com/series/the-complete-carl-barks-disney-library/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Recco's on which of these lovely-looking tomes to purchase? Or just choose the one that looks most up my alley because they're all equally quality?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

feedmyleg posted:

Recco's on which of these lovely-looking tomes to purchase? Or just choose the one that looks most up my alley because they're all equally quality?

Sorry. I ended up getting one ("Donald Duck: Trail of the Unicorn") as a kickstarter reward when Fantagraphics had a "please help us not go out of business" sale a while back, and it was excellent, with very well-done introduction and story notes, but I have no reason to believe it was better or worse than any other volume, essentially just a random pick. A lot of them look like they might be out of print right now unfortunately, but it looks like they have fairly large preview sections up on their website for each volume (e.g., http://www.fantagraphics.com/images/stories/previews/wdus01-preview.pdf )

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

feedmyleg posted:

I've been getting these (and the Don Rosa collection) as a future present to give to my nephew when he's old enough so I can read them first, and they're all pretty good to be honest.

It's all nice clean artwork, with crisp colouring, and some behind the scenes stuff which is pretty interesting. I'd say go with what takes your fancy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Great ep, but the first 3/4 of it was frustrating as gently caress with the teeter-tooter grabbin the paper bit dragging on for wayyyyy too long.

Launchpad continues to be the best.
DEWEY THE DARKWING DUCK VIDEO IS STILL RUNNING! DO YOU WANT ME TO PAUSE IT UNTIL YOU GET BACK?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's already aired, dude, no need for spoiler tags.

The ghost butler walking out at the end too was just insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, that just leaves the finale next week, then?
And then a long wait for the next season to pop out.