Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Two episodes next week, "The Shadow War," parts 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That was an incredibly tight 22 minutes.

EDIT: The last shot reminded me of something and with a quick search I found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ducktales/comments/96jseb/spoiler_the_last_crash_of_the_sunchaser_ending/

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 12, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm really starting to see where Dewey gets it from.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

eatenmyeyes posted:

That was an incredibly tight 22 minutes.

EDIT: The last shot reminded me of something and with a quick search I found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ducktales/comments/96jseb/spoiler_the_last_crash_of_the_sunchaser_ending/

Same.

Everybody hates me, and I hate everybody!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

It’s actually weird how much emotion is successfully conveyed in that four second GIF.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The end of that episode was so good. I think it's safe to say that Ducktales 2017 is A Good Cartoon.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I still have some problems with it but it's shaping up to be grand. I think it's biggest strength is how defined the characters are. I like how Louie is the one who's usually aloof and careless but is the most prone to panic and fear. It's a good believable contrast in his personality. I could go on.

And this episode proved once again that Ducktales 2017 could do serious well. I was worried when the show debuted because it seemed like it was going to fall down the same hole Gravity Falls did with it being too jokey at the worst times. But no, Ducktales is doing it good. This isn't the only example either.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus Christ I didn’t expect quite how full on that got at the end. That was incredible. Next week seems rather far away all of a sudden.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like the implication that the Sunchaser is in a lot worse condition than it looks because of how much it's been crashed and rebuilt, and that it's both super old and was probably cheap when it was new. Scrooge's submarine seems to be in a lot better nick, probably because it IS new.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

It's already aired, dude, no need for spoiler tags.

The ghost butler walking out at the end too was just insult to injury.

Duckworth walking out too made me do some combination of laugh and gasp at the same time. Like, wow, you crossed a line with a man who came back from the loving dead out of loyalty to you. That's a deep cut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It really seems like the while thing is such a deep cut because from Scrooge's recounting of events, which no one seems to dispute so far... it's hard to really pin the blame on anyone but Della Duck herself. She even apologised for taking the Spear, acknowledging what she was doing was without Scrooge's permission, leaving her children behind against the better judgement of her brother and piloting an experimental rocket on an uncharted course without warning or time for a proper ground crew to prepare, leaving Scrooge to hastily try to support her on his own. It was a suicide mission, and no one seems to know why.

...and it doesn't seem a coincidence that this episode has Dewey basically echoing Della's behaviour- constantly putting himself at risk to accomplish a goal he won't tell anyone else about, defying Scrooge repeatedly without telling him why and putting himself and others in danger even when the others agree the goal isn't worth that. And it ends with an inevitable blow-up because no one can think of anyone to blame but Scrooge for putting everyone in that position, and having left the whole thing a mystery in the first place, but gets out of hand because no one's willing to admit that it was hard to blame anyone but Della for being selfish, single-minded and suicidally disregarding her own safety, and running his own space program is a bit much even for the world's richest duck.

Of course, the big question is... Della Duck doesn't seem THAT stupid or selfish. Why was she so obsessed with taking the rocket?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I am betting that Della was trying to move against Magica de Spell and was trying to protect her family from the witch. Of course now Scrooge is alone and unprotected from Magica and Lena already knows the layout of the manor thanks to Webby, and Della won't be there to bail him out this time.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Scrooge did nothing wrong and this better end up with his family realizing what dicks they are being to him instead of the other way around. :colbert:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

HIJK posted:

I am betting that Della was trying to move against Magica de Spell and was trying to protect her family from the witch. Of course now Scrooge is alone and unprotected from Magica and Lena already knows the layout of the manor thanks to Webby, and Della won't be there to bail him out this time.

I sincerely hope they don't undercut their own storytelling by pulling something like this. They've been working hard to establish Della as Scrooge's favorite, but also built her up in the comics to make her flaws more interesting. If they then pull a "actually she didn't do anything wrong" card it'll feel incredibly weak and basically entirely negate her character flaws. It'd also undercut Scrooge's arc - he's been built up as being stubborn yet having a lot of guilt over Della, while still not wanting to face the fact that Donald was right and he should've never built the drat rocket in the first place. If it turns out Della had some really deep purpose for taking the rocket before it was ready, then it'll just mean Scrooge was absolutely justified in the end, and his apparent favoritism of Della had absolutely no negative effect.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really seems like the while thing is such a deep cut because from Scrooge's recounting of events, which no one seems to dispute so far... it's hard to really pin the blame on anyone but Della Duck herself. She even apologised for taking the Spear, acknowledging what she was doing was without Scrooge's permission, leaving her children behind against the better judgement of her brother and piloting an experimental rocket on an uncharted course without warning or time for a proper ground crew to prepare, leaving Scrooge to hastily try to support her on his own. It was a suicide mission, and no one seems to know why.

This emotional baggage between the three of Donald, Della, and Scrooge won't be resolved until she returns to the series, which seems an inevitability. The lack of Donald in this season so far (for whatever reasons he hasn't been showing up production-wise) has left exploration of his feelings and role in the event off the table. How heated was the argument shown in the flashback stills before Della left? Is he deflecting his own guilt on to Scrooge so he doesn't have to confront whatever role he played in it?

There's no innocent party in this, but in the blame share, Della would definitely get more of it.

quote:

Of course, the big question is... Della Duck doesn't seem THAT stupid or selfish. Why was she so obsessed with taking the rocket?

The preview for next week mentions that Magica hasn't been seen in fifteen years. When did Della steal the rocket? About the same time.

I hope it's not as tidy as that, but it seems very likely that the two are linked in some way.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 12, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...actually, that theory makes sense to me just because Magica de Spell specifically says her powers grows as the eclipse approaches and presumably will reach its apex during the eclipse itself... presumably it has some kind of ties to the moon. And Della took that rocket and headed into space. And we know that the Moon Theme is going to be used at some point...

Also, I'm starting to see how the brothers might match up to their relatives with their attitude towards adventure. Dewey is obviously compared to Della, both being eager and reckless to the point of having little to no regard for their own safety. Huey sometimes matches up closest to Scrooge, loving adventure but preferring to properly prepare and take the time to do it right. While Louie has been known to outright turn down an adventure if he doesn't see any profit out of it (Even if Scrooge takes all the money, he sees Scrooge's fortune as his eventual inheritance and all) in effect not bothering unless he sees something to gain; much like it's hard to drag Donald out on adventure unless he has something in it for him. (Like a reasonable paycheck)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 12, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

kefkafloyd posted:

The preview for next week mentions that Magica hasn't been seen in fifteen years. When did Della steal the rocket? About the same time.

I hope it's not as tidy as that, but it seems very likely that the two are linked in some way.

That seems a few years off to be the same time. Unless the triplets are meant to be 15?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Argue posted:

That seems a few years off to be the same time. Unless the triplets are meant to be 15?

I thought Scrooge gave a number of years when he started recounting what happened to Della, but he didn't, it was just a generic "in the past." Still seems a bit close for coincidence, though.

How old are the boys, anyway? The wikia says 12 which sounds reasonable but I thought it was mentioned in some episode some year that Donald hasn't spoken to Scrooge in X number of years, and that corresponds to when they were still eggs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kefkafloyd posted:

How old are the boys, anyway? The wikia says 12 which sounds reasonable but I thought it was mentioned in some episode some year that Donald hasn't spoken to Scrooge in X number of years, and that corresponds to when they were still eggs.

I think they're being deliberately vague about it, pretty common in cartoons these days. They're pretty mature and intelligent but young enough to be all girls-have-cooties.

(though they're more mature about that than in the 80s show; I mean more how they react to Goldie O'Gilt, though they might have been a bit carried away by surprise with Scrooge actually having an ex-girlfriend)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I enjoyed the fact that those ducks actually hatched from eggs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think they said Donald had been estranged from Scrooge for 10 years, but that doesn't seem long enough given they weren't hatched until Della was gone.

Where's the triplets dad though? I had assumed Donald took on infant orphans, rather than them being orphaned without being born/hatched.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nobody wants to talk about how Della was a slut.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m calling it now; Della left because she was overwhelmed at the thought of having kids. Monsters and dungeons and bandits, sure, but being a mother? Terrifying.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ruflux posted:

I sincerely hope they don't undercut their own storytelling by pulling something like this. They've been working hard to establish Della as Scrooge's favorite, but also built her up in the comics to make her flaws more interesting. If they then pull a "actually she didn't do anything wrong" card it'll feel incredibly weak and basically entirely negate her character flaws. It'd also undercut Scrooge's arc - he's been built up as being stubborn yet having a lot of guilt over Della, while still not wanting to face the fact that Donald was right and he should've never built the drat rocket in the first place. If it turns out Della had some really deep purpose for taking the rocket before it was ready, then it'll just mean Scrooge was absolutely justified in the end, and his apparent favoritism of Della had absolutely no negative effect.

That's a good point! I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see! :aaaaa:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Phylodox posted:

I’m calling it now; Della left because she was overwhelmed at the thought of having kids. Monsters and dungeons and bandits, sure, but being a mother? Terrifying.

I think this will be the case. Going stir crazy, terrified of new responsibility, believing her life was over. Discovers Scrooge's plans for a new ship and believe that moment, that specific moment will be her last chance for adventure. Only for it to go wrong.

Man, the reunion is going to hurt.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Della being overwhelmed by the idea of motherhood would be pretty dark but would make her very interesting. One of my favourite tropes is when a character is built to be a saint or practically flawless and then revealed to be really flawed or just downright villainous.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Della heard there was sweet-rear end music on the moon and wanted to go there immediately.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kefkafloyd posted:

The lack of Donald in this season so far (for whatever reasons he hasn't been showing up production-wise) has left exploration of his feelings and role in the event off the table.

Donald being such a bit player is the show's biggest weakness so far in my opinion. He's more of a running joke than a character most of the time. I hope he's in season two more.

Avalerion posted:

Scrooge did nothing wrong and this better end up with his family realizing what dicks they are being to him instead of the other way around. :colbert:

Beakley was right about him in this particular episode though; he takes the safety of everyone around him for granted based on his own self-confidence and while it does work out for the best so far it's kind of stupid and dangerous if you step back from it. She wasn't even trying to stop him, just get him to admit he's not always capable of saving everyone.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

tsob posted:

Donald being such a bit player is the show's biggest weakness so far in my opinion. He's more of a running joke than a character most of the time. I hope he's in season two more.

I think they've actually had a nice slow build going on with Donald. In the first episode he's pretty much a stick in the mud who doesn't like Scrooge, is kind of a screw up and doesn't want the kids having any fun. Except it turns out he's got some pretty drat solid reasons for the fallout with Scrooge and his distaste for adventure.

As to his perceived lack of competence? Pretty much every story from the old days with Della has her, Scrooge and Donald basically being an unstoppable force of getting their adventure on. Whatever went down with Storkules seemingly left the guy (as dopey as he is) with a staggering amount of respect and affection for Donald. We've also seen that he'll absolutely flip out on anyone who threatens the triplets. I'm pretty sure he's going to utterly wreck some bad guys next week. Not to mention Magica is exactly the sort of person who'd underestimate him. It's not like he has a friend who's a Sorcerer's Apprentice or anything.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

J33uk posted:

It's not like he has a friend who's a Sorcerer's Apprentice or anything.

Donald himself is a wizard.

Just a really really bad one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

J33uk posted:

As to his perceived lack of competence? Pretty much every story from the old days with Della has her, Scrooge and Donald basically being an unstoppable force of getting their adventure on. Whatever went down with Storkules seemingly left the guy (as dopey as he is) with a staggering amount of respect and affection for Donald.

Most of the time that he's done anything of note in the show so far it's been a side-effect of an impotent rage rather than actually directed anger. He's almost Jar Jar Binks levels of lucky idiocy.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
8/18/20?? was one of the dates on that note.
:ducksiren:

re: ep 21 - Louie pocketed that gold key. Was he taking things throughout the season? Could I have missed something like that?

Anyway, both this week and last had great pacing. Music too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm always kind of annoyed whenever Donald is on screen. I don't want to have to turn on subtitles or strain to makeout whatever he's trying to say before he throws a tantrum. He's a fine gimmick for a looney toons short but he absolutely does not fit in with this show or the other characters.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wow, real cool of you to drag someone with a speech impediment like that. <:mad:>

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm always kind of annoyed whenever Donald is on screen. I don't want to have to turn on subtitles or strain to makeout whatever he's trying to say before he throws a tantrum. He's a fine gimmick for a looney toons short but he absolutely does not fit in with this show or the other characters.

Well, lucky for you, he's being voiced by Don Cheadle next week.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah I basically don't understand what he's saying, ever.

Some Numbers posted:

Well, lucky for you, he's being voiced by Don Cheadle next week.

Okay but as a one-off gag, or permanently? Because that's sort a recurring problem with him. Maybe that's why he doesn't appear much? Because they realize that his voice basically makes non-joke dialogue impossible?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I guess I have good ears, because I haven't had much trouble making out what he says.

Except when he talked to Lena that time, but I think they intentionally made him harder to understand that time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Webby's facial expression when Scrooge yells at her that she's not family.... Scrooge, you monster :mad:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ruflux posted:

Well, given that theory, even if accurate, that doesn't mean Della's actions were the right way to go about everything. Like, she could have had good intentions and still screwed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
a lifetime of watching Disney stuff has left me more or less fluent in Donald Duck