Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

chiasaur11 posted:

Things undone:

Rey was implied to have some kind of Backstory. Like, half her scenes in The Force Awakens were using pretty basic cinematic language to say "Hey, pay attention. This is going to be Important".

Snoke was set up to be a major player.

Finn and Rey were set up as the main couple, with Finn having gone through a character arc from coward to hero.

Kylo had his worship of Darth Vader as a central motivation.

Phasma was apparently killed due to being in the middle planetary explosion.

The Resistance had dealt a serious blow to the First Order.

Finn had taken serious injuries.

Kylo's scar.

Huh. That... seems to be more than two things.

1. That was a dumb thing that only idiots believed to be important.

2. Snoke sucked. Once again, another dumb thing people latched on it.

3. Still is. It’s outright said in the first scene with Kylo Ren.

4. No one said anything about phasma’s fate.

5. Yes. They did. And then the first order retaliated by going directly after the resistance.

6. Yeah and he recovered from
Them.

7. It exists what’s the big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

People latched on because he was set up to be some big bad like the emperor in 4-6

Then he died and people were like eh wtf?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snoke sucked in the first place so I don’t get it.

Bad move from JJizzle.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

1. That was a dumb thing that only idiots believed to be important.

3. Still is. It’s outright said in the first scene with Kylo Ren.

4. No one said anything about phasma’s fate.

5. Yes. They did. And then the first order retaliated by going directly after the resistance.

6. Yeah and he recovered from
Them.

7. It exists what’s the big deal.

Give it a rest bitch

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
The blow done to the First Order undone? It's like the First Order... struck back or something :thunk:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The problem with Snoke dying is that the movies did a terrible job of explaining the state of the galaxy and his backstory was presumably a big part of that.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Awakens was a response to criticisms of the prequels and TLJ was a response to criticisms of Awakens that it didn't break any new ground but they have no specific criticism to take with episode IX. At most it's just "make a better movie" and how do you do that

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

chiasaur11 posted:

Things undone:

Rey was implied to have some kind of Backstory. Like, half her scenes in The Force Awakens were using pretty basic cinematic language to say "Hey, pay attention. This is going to be Important".

Finn and Rey were set up as the main couple, with Finn having gone through a character arc from coward to hero.

Kylo's scar.

:qq: Everything didn't play out exactly like I wanted :qq:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dishwasher posted:

Wearing a cool costume that looks good on an action figure on your office desk is the most important thing you can do!

I'm not shocked at the rumors of splitting the story into two films and sorta predicted it with the lack of focus on the Roman numbering this go round. There's not a lot there after TLJ basically undid all the events of the previous movie. JJ probably needs 3 more hours to build a story back up and properly pay it off. I'm fine with it, but I feel like with better planning they shouldn't have to.

Rewatched Rogue One again after liking it the first couple times and woof! Aside from the space battle and high stakes there's like nothing there at all. The most vanilla of vanilla ice creams.

i'd personally prefer it if he used that 3 hours to tell a complete story

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Dishwasher posted:

I'm not shocked at the rumors of splitting the story into two films and sorta predicted it with the lack of focus on the Roman numbering this go round.

lol. They neglected the roman numerals in the marketing because that's what the original trilogy did. It wasn't until the prequels came out that "Episode X,Y,Z - Movie Title Here" started. The original sequels were billed as Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. All of them had the episode number in the opening crawl though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

chiasaur11 posted:

That it wasn't is kinda the fault of Abrams and the story group for building a mystery box and not bothering to put anything inside it.

Same with Snoke. "This guy's gonna be important!" "Why?" "Uh, I dunno. You think of a reason."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
well, snoke was obviously going to be plagueis given they used that theme and all

and that time daisy ridley basically blurted it out at a convention

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

well, snoke was obviously going to be plagueis given they used that theme and all
It's not necessarily Plagueis' specific theme. Variants of the leitmotif appear elsewhere in the film, and there are other themes that change over the movies (the Rebel Fanfare becomes more and more associated with the Falcon, Binary Sunset becoming the general "Force" theme).

Plus you've got things like the Resistance music sounding like the Nazi themes in Indiana Jones, and Sideways' argument that Williams didn't know what Rey's plotline was going to be and so just planned for everything that suggest the music shouldn't be the last word.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 12, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The problem with Snoke dying is that the movies did a terrible job of explaining the state of the galaxy and his backstory was presumably a big part of that.

Its this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Also, he's strongly tied to other character's motivations and goals. As is, TLJ basically says "Oh, Luke became suicidally depressed and Kylo went evil because of Snoke's manipulation. What? Who's Snoke, and what's he up to? Hah, why would anyone care about that?!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly didn't realise that Snoke had been deliberately set up as a big mystery in TFA. Rey's background, sure, that was clearly being set up for something, but there's not really a lot to Snoke in Force Awakens. He just seemed like a stock character to me; a big dark side guy who led the villain faction. Obviously he must have had a backstory but it didn't seem all that important to me and I was genuinely surprised that so many people seemed to be so invested in it.

Do you get what I mean? At the end of TFA, they'd set some things up to be answered in the next one, but I didn't come away thinking Snoke was one of them.

I guess I've never really gone in big for fan theories, though, so maybe I had the wrong mindset.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
He felt like he was being deliberately teased for the next one, in much the same way as the Emperor was in ESB. He's established as the real power behind the villains we see, we don't get to see him outside of a hologram, there's spooky music playing around him... There wasn't anything particularly interesting about him, and the name was terrible, but what there was - to me, at least - screamed 'sequel hook'.

Of course, the same could be said about Maul in 'Solo', so maybe the brains behind Star Wars at the moment just like establishing shadowy nonentities.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

He felt like he was being deliberately teased for the next one, in much the same way as the Emperor was in ESB. He's established as the real power behind the villains we see, we don't get to see him outside of a hologram, there's spooky music playing around him... There wasn't anything particularly interesting about him, and the name was terrible, but what there was - to me, at least - screamed 'sequel hook'.

Again, maybe I'm just looking at it in the wrong way. I don't think I got a "sequel hook" vibe from him as a character in the sense that we were going to learn loads about his true identity (I didn't even realise he was supposed to have a true identity and all this "Snoke is Plagueis" is literally new to me today!); he was just the villain behind Kylo and Hux and he was going to be in the next one. I never felt like his backstory or "Where did Snoke come from?" was going to be a big thing; it just wasn't interesting to me because the fact that he was some grandstanding Ming the Merciless archetype was good enough for me. Maybe that's why I actually quite enjoyed his perfunctory demise? :shrug:

I realise that other people wanted to know more and there are gaps that TLJ probably should have worked harder to fill in, but to me it was, "How did Snoke turn Kylo to the dark side?", not, "Who is Snoke?" Granted, we never find out how Palpatine turned Vader to the dark side in ROTJ (we only know that he did and Vader's basically cowed by him - all the "It is pointless to resist, my son," stuff) but I think that's a different situation.

Anyway, using the spoiler thread for potential spoilers, here's some rumours for you.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Snoks politics are interesting. The Why he is a threat is interesting. The character wasnt that interesting and the story is basically the opposite of interesting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem of Star Wars is that its storytelling is fundamentally quite limited. Every time you attempt to widen the scope of the conflict beyond Rebels vs. Evil Empire everything just gets bogged down and boring, because at its core it's a story about a handful of people who inhabit this world rather than galactic politics that nobody cares about. The original trilogy knew that less was more in this regard, all attempts thereafter to define the stakes of the conflict have just fallen flat and you're left wondering why you should even care about this band of assholes playing cops and robbers at the rear end end of space.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Question Friend posted:

Give it a rest bitch

It’s a just a movie you gently caress

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The problem of Star Wars is that its storytelling is fundamentally quite limited. Every time you attempt to widen the scope of the conflict beyond Rebels vs. Evil Empire everything just gets bogged down and boring, because at its core it's a story about a handful of people who inhabit this world rather than galactic politics that nobody cares about. The original trilogy knew that less was more in this regard, all attempts thereafter to define the stakes of the conflict have just fallen flat and you're left wondering why you should even care about this band of assholes playing cops and robbers at the rear end end of space.

The problem of Star Wars is that it is an already told story. The most interesting things to happen in Star Wars happened in three movies and everything else is trivialities bloated up to feature or novel length. It doesn't matter how good or bad those trivialities are, they are side stories. Maybe one day we get an Odyssey to The Trilogies Trojan War, but until then its just profitable, sometimes fun, sometimes not, action sci fi.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Wheat Loaf posted:

I honestly didn't realise that Snoke had been deliberately set up as a big mystery in TFA. Rey's background, sure, that was clearly being set up for something, but there's not really a lot to Snoke in Force Awakens. He just seemed like a stock character to me; a big dark side guy who led the villain faction. Obviously he must have had a backstory but it didn't seem all that important to me and I was genuinely surprised that so many people seemed to be so invested in it.

Do you get what I mean? At the end of TFA, they'd set some things up to be answered in the next one, but I didn't come away thinking Snoke was one of them.

I guess I've never really gone in big for fan theories, though, so maybe I had the wrong mindset.

I think this is what a lot of people don't get when they bitch about TLJ-haters (like myself). They'll say "Those dumbasses wanted Snoke to be Plagueis / Maul / Jar-Jar", but the people who actually wanted something that dumb are in the extreme minority. I'm just annoyed that he was literally given zero backstory; even a single throwaway line like "Snoke was a padawan Jedi who escaped the purge and has spent the last 60 years hiding and being evil" or "Snoke was an alien warlord who seized control of the First Order" would have done the job. (Remember that in A New Hope, we hear basically nothing about the Emperor except for his dissolution of the Senate). It's fine for him to be a stock character, but when you're making a movie that has six others coming in before it, you can't just drop another Big Bad in with literally zero context or backstory. It's just bad and lazy writing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I think this is what a lot of people don't get when they bitch about TLJ-haters (like myself). They'll say "Those dumbasses wanted Snoke to be Plagueis / Maul / Jar-Jar", but the people who actually wanted something that dumb are in the extreme minority. I'm just annoyed that he was literally given zero backstory; even a single throwaway line like "Snoke was a padawan Jedi who escaped the purge and has spent the last 60 years hiding and being evil" or "Snoke was an alien warlord who seized control of the First Order" would have done the job. (Remember that in A New Hope, we hear basically nothing about the Emperor except for his dissolution of the Senate). It's fine for him to be a stock character, but when you're making a movie that has six others coming in before it, you can't just drop another Big Bad in with literally zero context or backstory. It's just bad and lazy writing.

This x1000 it’s loving irritating.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps my disbelief is too suspended.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Smoke is just the latest rear end in a top hat in charge and it's better that way. Pretty funny it flusters so many feathers amongst aspiring screenwriters though!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Beef Hardcheese posted:

It's fine for him to be a stock character, but when you're making a movie that has six others coming in before it, you can't just drop another Big Bad in with literally zero context or backstory. It's just bad and lazy writing.

why though?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The thing about the Emperor is that, even though he has no backstory, his design and position tell you what his deal is: he's head of the galactic government, and also he's a dark and corrupt wizard.

What is Snoke? He's the "Supreme Leader" which sounds like he's the head of some kind of cult of personality but which might also be a government or quasi-military title (Kim Jong Un?) But we never see him really interact with anyone outside of Snoke and Hux. The Emperor speaks in a weird voice and has growths and stuff, which suggests he's corrupted, whereas Snoke has a strong voice and what seem to be scars, so he's been in a fight and gotten hosed up but...again hard to parse. Who was he fighting Luke? Jedi? He wears opulent golden robes which suggest he's some kind of aesthete or wealthy fop or something but he also is a very powerful dark wizard.

He's just kind of a mess.

Edit: The real, legitimate complaint isn't that he doesn't get a backstory or that he dies unceremoniously but that he's a lovely character. If Hux suddenly had a heart attack at the end of TLJ people would be a bit confused but they wouldn't be claiming he was secretly Jett Dexster.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 12, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The most frustrating thing about the ST is that I still have no idea what the first order is

How many of them are there? How do they pay for their military? Why doesn't anyone else outside of the fourteen people left in the resistance think that this organization who just blew up a bunch of planets is worth dealing with?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Things undone:

Kylo's scar.

This is pretty much why episode 8 sucked. It was just some new director talking it in a "new direction" that ended up sucking and letting us all down on the cool stuff that had been set up.

I completely skipped out on solo in protest (still haven't seen it, and don't care to) and I'll be skipping out on episode 9 too unless they do a 180 on this bullshit story telling.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Billy Snoke was one major player at the start of TLJ and by the end he was TWO major players.

He then fell into the blender that exists at the base of his chair for whatever reason, so he's now an uncountable number of players

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My favorite part of Episode 8 is after the movie ended, looking at the confused face of the audience as they walked out of the theaters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

spacetoaster posted:

This is pretty much why episode 8 sucked. It was just some new director talking it in a "new direction" that ended up sucking and letting us all down on the cool stuff that had been set up.

I completely skipped out on solo in protest (still haven't seen it, and don't care to) and I'll be skipping out on episode 9 too unless they do a 180 on this bullshit story telling.

I'll never get over Kylo Ren's scar!!!!

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Instead of building the universe in TLJ like they had in every other entry in the series (book, comic, movie, etc), they simply decided to do nothing and 'then' be all like "LOL nerds". It's like they were too busy patting themselves on the back for the billion already in the bank, they forgot to write a movie that made sense given the previous one. RJ had a right to be mad about being handed basically no answers for the set ups in TFA as it undoubtedly made his job much harder, especially if he had no interest in following those up anyway. He signed on to write a movie, not carry JJs baggage. But keep that passive aggression to awkward Twitter interactions and out of the movie.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My favorite part of Episode 8 is after the movie ended, looking at the confused face of the audience as they walked out of the theaters.

This was a movie that people were ready to accept and celebrate no mater how bad and it pushed even 'those' limits. For all the issues, people walked out of the prequels as well as TFA and R1 pretty jazzed up on opening day. Walking out of the theater for TLJ was like walking out of a funeral. It was like I'd watched the midnight release of Transporter 9 with the sheer amount of indifference and "welp" around.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 13, 2018

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

snoke seems like a weird complaint when the script has obvious issues: the 5 or 6 fake-outs, Rey still not having any established character of her own and basically being a tool for luke and ren's growth, the pacing problems in the 2nd act

you don't need a direct explanation to understand the first order: fascists who were allowed to grow in power because they were enabled by people who either didn't want to fight or who secretly shared their goals

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dishwasher posted:

This was a movie that people were ready to accept and celebrate no mater how bad and it pushed even 'those' limits. For all the issues, people walked out of the prequels as well as TFA and R1 pretty jazzed up on opening day. Walking out of the theater for TLJ was like walking out of a funeral. It was like I'd watched the midnight release of Transporter 9 with the sheer amount of indifference and "welp" around.

This is why Episode IX will do badly.

I can't help myself.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You can't just throw away a character like they did Snoke in TLJ after you just made him integral to not just the plot in general, but many main characters motivations in particular. Kylo does everything he's does explicitly because of Snoke. The First Order runs on Snoke and is shown to need him as a lynchpin. But if we ask the obvious "Why?" we're told "LOL not important" when it explicitly is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Love dropping important plot threads to trigger the libs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Love dropping important plot threads to trigger the libs.

This is the thing, TLJ just struck me as being written to be intentionally adversarial towards it's audience. Hence Luke's weird rear end in a top hat version of Yoda act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They can rehabilitate Episode 8 by having it confirmed in the opening crawl of Episode 9 that Luke did, in fact, molest Kylo, and that by dying he has become a malevolent Force ghost that Kylo and Rey must bang to defeat