Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wiffle posted:

Only 135% subbed. They were really careful with the subclass charges this time.

Still a pretty good deal, given that you spent that turn blocking an attack. There’s worse utility you could get out ofna subclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Oh, right, those are charges now. Not exactly something you can just fire off all the time, though.

How practical do those look this time, anyway? I was planning on a Zodiac somewhere in there, and they seem like a nice way to deal with poo poo like dragons in my protector-less party.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I finally got subclassing unlocked and operation "Farmers with guns" with Reprisal Command is working as advertised. Unfortunately I had to remove the Imperial because Drive blades still prevent you from equipping subweapons. It's hilariously effective when it works—my basic strategy for random battles is now "everyone defends except the shogun while all the enemies kill themselves on the wall of guns"—but as a side effect of equipping subweapons my team is now horrifically squishy and sometimes the shogun dies just because she's the only one not defending. Unfortunately the subweapon's attack value actually matters and I can't just use guns with vit bonuses.

This would probably work way better if I had a protector, but eh, screw protectors. I hate that class: it's so boring and kind of screws over the game balance.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So you might've noticed that composite damage attacks seem a bit weaker now. Well that's because they actually overhauled how important weaknesses are. Striking a weakness actually gives you a very significant damage boost now. Namely, a majority of the enemies that have a damage weakness actually have a 150% multiplier at the minimum instead of 125%. (Only 3 enemies in the entire game have their weakness multiplier that low.) So striking a weakness will boost the damage of composite attacks way more than their purely physical counterparts. And if they don't have a weakness, you're better off using the purely physical version of the skill instead.

Also for that matter, damage resistances are pretty much actual resistances now. The multiplier is set at 50% at the maximum when an enemy resists something. (No enemy has a 75% damage resistance multiplier in EOX.) So it's important to get around them if you can.

In short, there's actually a reason to use skills like Assault Drive and Charged Shot now, where there was pretty much very little reason to ever use them in the previous games.

And yes, they did change how Poison works. The poison damage formula, courtesy of Ragnar Homsar:

Poison damage formula posted:

[[(Poison Factor + (Level * 0.1667) + RNG Factor 1) * (1 + (Level * 0.04))] * Difficulty Factor] + RNG Factor 2

RNG Factors are some single digit numbers apparently. So probably some random number from 0 to 9?

Difficulty Factor is 1 on Expert (And possibly Heroic as well) and 1.2 on Basic. No idea about Picnic, though.

In short, the damage scales much more with levels than in the previous titles, though the maximum damage is along the lines of some of the better Poison skills in 5.

Damage formula is exactly the same as 5's (This thing, if you want a refresher.) so upgrading both weapons and armor is still important!

They're also still using the additive buff system from EO5, for the most part. Here's a list of which buffs and passives that boost damage are additive, and which are multiplicative.

quote:

Passives:
100: Raging Waves (Full Binds + SE)
50: Nightseeker Proficiency
30: Fighting Spirit, Circle Mastery, Restore Ether
25: Duel
20: Landsknecht Proficiency, Sight, Singularity, Hero's Bonds, Single Devote
15: Phys ATK Up, Elem ATK Up, War Edge Mastery, Staff Mastery, Ether Mastery
10: Ninpo Mastery, Intercooler
20xn: Bloody Lance
9xn: Felling Bird

Active:
55: Great General
45: Bloody Offense
40: Fore Honor, Bravant
35: Attack Order, Etheric Gleam
30: Vanguard, Guard Slash
25: Eroding Miasma, Bone Crusher, Star Drop, Medical Rod, Guard Break, Atrophic Eye
x2: Proof of Nobility

[Independent Modifiers]
Some active and passive skills are independent modifiers, and multiply all other modifiers.

Varied: Force Boosts, Force Breaks (Except Proof of Nobility)
Varied: All charge-type skills
50: Foul Mastery (3 procs)
40: Last Order
30: Fire/Freeze/Shock Arms
20: Upper Stance
12(?): Proof of Mastery

No idea on the rest of the formulae yet, though.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 9, 2018

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Subweapons are gonna be a lot more interesting this time, I think. In EO4 there was little reason not to use a subweapon if you could, but here seems like there's a notable opportunity cost if you want to enable subclass skills or use the weapon skills themselves.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

I finally got subclassing unlocked and operation "Farmers with guns" with Reprisal Command is working as advertised. Unfortunately I had to remove the Imperial because Drive blades still prevent you from equipping subweapons. It's hilariously effective when it works—my basic strategy for random battles is now "everyone defends except the shogun while all the enemies kill themselves on the wall of guns"—but as a side effect of equipping subweapons my team is now horrifically squishy and sometimes the shogun dies just because she's the only one not defending. Unfortunately the subweapon's attack value actually matters and I can't just use guns with vit bonuses.

This would probably work way better if I had a protector, but eh, screw protectors. I hate that class: it's so boring and kind of screws over the game balance.

Around what level are your characters when subclassing unlocks? Like mid 30s same as past games?

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014

Clarste posted:

Does Reprisal command activate once per hit taken or once per enemy action? This is a strategy I was interested in so I'd like to know. (ex. would a row wide attack activate 2-3 counters instead of just 1)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I know PQ2 is gonna suck but honestly I don't really care: I'm just glad to see FeMC alive again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Around what level are your characters when subclassing unlocks? Like mid 30s same as past games?

I was around level 50 when I unlocked it. It’s a much longer game than usual. I’ll also note that they didn’t give me any free level boost items like they have been in EO4 and EO5.

Wiffle posted:

Does Reprisal command activate once per hit taken or once per enemy action? This is a strategy I was interested in so I'd like to know. (ex. would a row wide attack activate 2-3 counters instead of just 1)

It only activates once per enemy action, regardless of how many people it hits or how many times it hits. It still goes off even if the shogun who used it is dead or disabled, but one of the targets needs to actually survive the attack, ie: you can’t counterattack a hit that kills someone.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014

Clarste posted:

I was around level 50 when I unlocked it. It’s a much longer game than usual. I’ll also note that they didn’t give me any free level boost items like they have been in EO4 and EO5.

It only activates once per enemy action, regardless of how many people it hits or how many times it hits. It still goes off even if the shogun who used it is dead or disabled, but one of the targets needs to actually survive the attack, ie: you can’t counterattack a hit that kills someone.

Guess shield flare is the only counter to work on multihits then. Guess you can't use it as a boss destroyer but still a fun concept to build around.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

So you might've noticed that composite damage attacks seem a bit weaker now. Well that's because they actually overhauled how important weaknesses are. Striking a weakness actually gives you a very significant damage boost now. Namely, a majority of the enemies that have a damage weakness actually have a 150% multiplier at the minimum instead of 125%. (Only 3 enemies in the entire game have their weakness multiplier that low.) So striking a weakness will boost the damage of composite attacks way more than their purely physical counterparts. And if they don't have a weakness, you're better off using the purely physical version of the skill instead.

Also for that matter, damage resistances are pretty much actual resistances now. The multiplier is set at 50% at the maximum when an enemy resists something. (No enemy has a 75% damage resistance multiplier in EOX.) So it's important to get around them if you can.

In short, there's actually a reason to use skills like Assault Drive and Charged Shot now, where there was pretty much very little reason to ever use them in the previous games.

1) Do purely elemental attacks work similar to purely physical attacks, in having higher base values?
2) What's the bonus damage for Singularity this time?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Reprisal Command has amusing interactions with Charge skills.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay so, now that the game has been out for a while, some things have been discovered. I'm making this post (with approval from Ragnar Homsar who discovered this) to nip some false rumors that may potentially spread here, right in the bud.

So anyways, when the game released, Ragnar Homsar did some data mining. One of the very first things that was discovered were these two portraits.

These are player character portraits by the way. In fact, they even have transparent versions so players can color them in.

Before you get excited, (or get mad about spoilers) let me just say immediately and with great sadness that these are completely unusable and everything that follows is completely scrapped content.

So these portraits belong to a class called the "Vampire." As for what this class can do... we don't much about them. It appears that they were scrapped early on. They have Force skills and one other thing, but that's it. No skill tree or anything, or a skill list.

As for what was working gameplay wise?

They had an innate class ability (Like the Yggdroid's natural bind immunity, which would have made it the very first class since EO3 to have an innate attribute.) If you travel with them during the day, they lose HP after every turn in battle. However at night, they would have been healed instead.

quote:

Force Boost: Immortal Flesh: User cannot die from damage. Only instant death can kill them.
Force Break: March of the Dead: Revive all party members. Randomly attacks all enemies a number of times, depending on the number of people revived (2 + r INT almighty attacks, where r = number of revives)

It seems like they were a defensive support of some kind. But now we'll never know.

Now if you're thinking that these can just be added in as DLC? Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are slim to none. To put things simply, when a 3DS game gets DLC, the amount it can have has to be determined beforehand. 3DS DLC is added to Nintendo's servers as having a certain number of content packs. The data stored within them can be changed, but the amount can't. Some games put in extra dummy pieces of DLC as a result to get around that limitation, just in case. But EOX does not do this.

And for that matter, these are not unlocks. Parts of the Japanese community has beaten the game at this point (and they are aware of these portraits) and have reported that no matter what they did, they didn't unlock any trace of these people or their portraits.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 12, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
whats with japan and their obsessions with vampires as a class in rpgs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That innate attribute would've been annoying anyway so good riddance

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

On the other hand I'm a bit disappointed you can't use literally Alucard.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I would have loved this, and also would have loved someone getting through the game with a party of five of these.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Now clearly we just need to hack the portraits in with save modifiers.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 12, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I want to play a Vampire. :smith:

Are the full-sized portraits available?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 12, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Welp, I just found out that this isn't actually unused content. It's in fact, an extremely obscure Easter Egg :doh: (Himukai tweeted that the community finally found them when these were discovered.) Apologies for the unintentional spoilers.

That said the unlock method is extremely obscure (We're talking King Grimoire level of obscure here), and it doesn't seem to have been figured out yet, and part of it appeared to have been done through hacking. Heck, I'm not sure if these portraits are even usable. The skills most definitely are, though.

There's an accessory a class can equip. Gives +100 HP, and a 10% boost to all stats. It also replaces their Force Boost and Break with what I just mentioned, and gives the aforementioned innate passive to them. The portrait of the class that equips this is also forced to have red eyes while wearing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess the real question is whether the inevitable EOX LP will have someone turn into a vampire midway through.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess the real question is whether the inevitable EOX LP will have someone turn into a vampire midway through.

Why that far in? :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's an accessory a class can equip. Gives +100 HP, and a 10% boost to all stats. It also replaces their Force Boost and Break with what I just mentioned, and gives the aforementioned innate passive to them. The portrait of the class that equips this is also forced to have red eyes while wearing it.

That's a very very good one for Shogun, then, since Warrior Might can't kill you (and neither can the enemies for that matter) while the Boost is up. Or alternatively on a Protector using Line Divide, it's like a discount True Endurance, but which can last 3 turns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nothing to see here, just OHKOing FOEs at my level.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 13, 2018

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Can you get 5 vampire bracelets without NG+? Could lead to some silly party compositions.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
What class is Flair?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wow. I was regretting playing Untold on Story Mode, but the ending sequence—the M.I.K.E. fight especially—really blew me away. Still not really worth it, though; being forced to go to boring ol' Gladsheim and fight a nasty boss when I wanted to explore the cool new stratum sucked every single time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elephant Parade posted:

Wow. I was regretting playing Untold on Story Mode, but the ending sequence—the M.I.K.E. fight especially—really blew me away. Still not really worth it, though; being forced to go to boring ol' Gladsheim and fight a nasty boss when I wanted to explore the cool new stratum sucked every single time.

If you hadn't gone to Gladsheim, you'd be underleveled for the new stratum every time. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BrightWing posted:

What class is Flair?

Arcanist.

The person actually doing the hit is a Landsknecht though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 14, 2018

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Strange Quark posted:

If you hadn't gone to Gladsheim, you'd be underleveled for the new stratum every time. :v:
I would say I'm disappointed in the devs, but I'm not really surprised: in an incredibly :psyduck: move, EOU feels like it's designed more around Story Mode than Classic. Between the bestiary including Story-exclusive enemies in both modes and the new classes being unavailable in Classic outside of NG+ (how many people are going to play through any Etrian Odyssey game—let alone a remake—twice?), it's clear someone on the design team was cutting corners.

postgame report: random encounters keep owning me and it really sucks :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Elephant Parade posted:

(how many people are going to play through any Etrian Odyssey game—let alone a remake—twice?)
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've played through each EO game at least twice. Though I only played through the Untolds twice cause of Story and Classic, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with two Classic.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

just got instamurdered by an Iron Turtle / Seahorse x 3 ambush on postgame B15F. didn't even get an action off! time to use Gingerlife on every expedition forever, I guess

also, what's the over-under on EOX being localized?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

It almost certainly is, but probably not until next year or so.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

100% chance it gets localised, it's just a matter of when we get it. EO5 took a year or so but Atlus was also localising Persona 5 at the same time and they aren't that big a company. I'd expect it to take 6 to 9 months, but then again there's also PQ2 coming out so...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Elephant Parade posted:

I would say I'm disappointed in the devs, but I'm not really surprised: in an incredibly :psyduck: move, EOU feels like it's designed more around Story Mode than Classic. Between the bestiary including Story-exclusive enemies in both modes and the new classes being unavailable in Classic outside of NG+ (how many people are going to play through any Etrian Odyssey game—let alone a remake—twice?), it's clear someone on the design team was cutting corners.

postgame report: random encounters keep owning me and it really sucks :(

You can tell the devs realized how dissatisfied players were with how EOU handled it, because EO2U improves on this a lot. The only missable gameplay content in 2U's Classic Mode is the Fafnir Knight class; the game just comes up with different excuses for you to go through the new areas and fight the new bosses.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Thuryl posted:

You can tell the devs realized how dissatisfied players were with how EOU handled it, because EO2U improves on this a lot. The only missable gameplay content in 2U's Classic Mode is the Fafnir Knight class; the game just comes up with different excuses for you to go through the new areas and fight the new bosses.
Glad to hear it. I'll play 2U in Classic, then, unless Story is somehow the goon-recommended mode (not holding my breath on that one).

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

[...] unless Story is somehow the goon-recommended mode [...]

Ha ha ha no.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story party in 2U are good lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty