Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

:siren: Please support Stardom World :siren:

Welcome to the STARDOM 5 Star Grand Prix thread! The 5*GP is one of the best possible entry points for Stardom, showing off the large chunk of the roster in easily digestible bite-size chunks. The 5 Star Grand Prix is comparable (and likely inspired) by the NJPW’s G1 Climax. The Grand Prix however, is two 8-woman blocks, with a time limit of 15 minutes per match, so its not nearly as grueling to everyone involved. The winners of each block meet in a no time limit final to decide the winner of the Grand Prix, who gets a shot at the World of Stardom championship (known as the "Red Belt").

It will run 11 shows, from August 18 to September 30, with a few matches being uploaded every day. There’s no live streaming of events, but subtitles for promos are provided (but not ring announcers or in-ring trash talk, unless storyline/match relevant). Stardom storylines are generally simple, and there are pre-match promos establishing almost every match. Last year’s 5*GP was won by Toni Storm, defeating Yoko Bito in the finals, winning the Red Belt from Mayu Iwatani shortly after.

Recent History of Stardom

At the beginning of 2018, Oedo Tai, Stardom’s band of trickster heels, were down on their luck. After months of confrontations, matches, and bad blood between them and Queen’s Quest (Io Shirai’s team of super-talented wrestlers), Kagetsu (leader of Oedo Tai) challenged them to a match for the first big show of the new year: a 5v5 match between Oedo Tai vs Queen’s Quest, the losing team would lose a member. Unfortunately for Oedo Tai, they lost Tam Nakano, the former idol they had turned into a trickster villain. This, in addition to the loss of Kris Wolf due to legit visa problems, they were down to only three members.

Kagetsu, ever the schemer, thought up a way to replenish her flagging faction: Have a faction draft. She was able to convince Stardom President Rossi Ogawa to let the three major factions split the roster into three groups: Oedo Tai, Queen’s Quest, and STARS, lead by Kagetsu, Io and Mayu Iwatani, respectively, with the winner of a 3-way match getting first pick.

Oedo Tai had first pick in the draft, and Kagetsu took her core members, and then used her advantage to steal a core member of QQ: HZK Hazuki. After both OT and QQ had finished their picks, Mayu took everyone not yet picked. Among those not picked by anyone: a minor faction called Team Jungle, lead by Jungle Kyona, who were very offended by this disrespect.

Over the next few weeks Team Jungle became more and more angry at their lack of respect, and eventually broke off from STARS with a few rookies, renaming themselves the Jungle Assault Nation (JAN). Hazuki, after initial resistance, eventually embraced her dark side, becoming a much more brutal, angry fighter than before. Io, leaving for WWE, passed the torch and the Wonder of Stardom championship (the secondary belt, the “White Belt”) to her QQ protege Momo Watanabe, losing in a hard fought match. Kagetsu won the World of Stardom title from Toni Storm, who had held it for about 9 months.

Which brings us to the 2018 5 Star Grand Prix.

Blue Stars Block
  • Mayu Iwatani (STARS)
  • Saki Kashima (STARS)
  • Momo Watanabe (Queen’s Quest)
  • Hazuki (Oedo Tai)
  • Natsu Sumire (Oedo Tai)
  • Kelly Klein
  • Nicole Savoy
  • Jamie Hayter

Red Stars Block
  • Kagetsu (Oedo Tai)
  • Jungle Kyona (JAN)
  • Tam Nakano (STARS)
  • Konami (Queen’s Quest)
  • Natsuko Tora (JAN)
  • Rachael Ellering
  • Kimber Lee
  • Utami Hayashishita

The Finals will take place September 24th. Please note that there is no live streaming of shows, but matches will be uploaded over the next week.

All notable matches below are Youtube or Dailymotion links, many of which are from Stardom World itself. (This has been cleared with Jerusalem.) If you enjoy these matches, please support Stardom World. It’s the best $7 I spend on wrestling a month. Please note that I'm not going to upload any of the 5*GP, you've got to drop the cash for that.

:siren: The official Stardom English twitter posts live results. Expect spoilers if you follow it. :siren:

STARS
STARS is the default good guy faction (called a seiki-gun in japanese) where good guys do generic good guy things.

Full roster: It’s literally everyone not mentioned below here ok

Mayu Iwatani (Blue Stars Block)
The leader of STARS, former simultaneous holder of the Red and White belts, and one of Stardom’s Big Four. Idiot savant for wrestling. Generally awkward, unnaturally flexible and nearly completely indestructible. Professional neck bumper. Master of suplexes.

Finisher: Bridging Dragon Suplex

Notable Matches:

Saki Kishima (Blue Stars Block)
Recently returned to wrestling. Energetic and flashy. I feel like she watches a lot of Ring of Honor and NJPW Juniors. Currently tag champs with Mayu (Goddess of Stardom).

Finisher: Unprettier

Notable Matches:

Tam Nakano (Red Stars Block)
Former idol, martial artist, obnoxiously cute. Formerly part of Oedo Tai, she lost a match against Momo Watanabe, where the loser had to leave their faction. Oedo Tai does not take defectors well, even unwilling ones. Kicks hard and has deathmatch experience.

Finisher: Running Knee Strike

Notable Matches:

Utami Hayashishita (Red Stars Block)
Debuting on 8/12/18, Utami is the daughter of a Japanese celebrity with 13 kids or some poo poo like that. Her pro test is the only pro test available on Stardom World.

Queen's Quest
Formerly led by Io Shirai, Queen’s Quest is the No Fun Club of Stardom. They’re serious wrestlers doing serious things. Currently leaderless, but with Momo the heir apparent (though rookie firebrand and future ace AZM [pronounced “Azumi”] would disagree), we’re yet to see exactly how QQ reforms itself without Io at the helm. Queen’s Quest’s official pattern is colored cheetah-print.
Full Roster is: Momo Watanabe, AZM, and Konami with touring gaijin Viper, Bea Priestley, and Chardonnay

Momo Watanabe (Blue Stars Block)
One of Stardom’s Big Four. Current Wonder of Stardom champion, and a potential company ace. Strong all around, with absolutely MURDEROUS kicks. She’s only 18, but she’s already great and has infinite potential.

Finisher: B-Driver / Tequila[ Sunrise

Notable Matches:

Konami (Red Stars Block)
Trained by Kana (WWE’s Asuka), Konami is a solid striker and submission wrestler. A long-time freelancer who recently signed full time with Stardom, she was inducted into Queen’s Quest in the draft. Don’t gently caress with Konami.

Finisher: Triangle Lancer (Overdrive into armbar)

Notable Matches:

Oedo Tai
Everyone’s favorite rowdy, slacker heels, Oedo Tai is LIJ combined with Team Rocket. They dance, they cheat, they steal, and they don’t give a drat about your rules. Showing up drunk to press conferences, bringing toys (both weapons and literal toys) into the ring, and using their numbers to win, they’re the most unpredictable and dangerous faction in Stardom.

Full Roster: Kagetsu, Hazuki, Sumire Natsu, Hana Kimura (touring Mexico), and Nao Yamaguchi (injured) with touring gaijin Session Moth Martina and Brandi Rhodes

Kagetsu (Red Stars Block)
World of Stardom champion, Leader of Oedo Tai, one of Stardom’s Big Four. She’s a dirty, ruthless cheater, and one of the best joshi around. Handpicked successor of joshi legend/maniac Kyoko Kimura, she’s proven herself to be a confident and powerful leader. If her backup doesn’t get you, her blue mist will.

Finisher: Oedo Coaster (450 Splash)

Notable Matches:

Hazuki (Blue Stars Block)
Formerly of Queen’s Quest, HZK was a mid-tier roster member, mostly tagging with AZM and doing a whole lot of nothing. Upon being drafted to Oedo Tai, Hazuki has come into her own, becoming meaner, more violent, and somehow even more cocky.

Finisher: Bombs Away

Notable Matches:

Sumire Natsu (Blue Stars Block)
Oedo Tai’s diva, Natsu isn’t the best wrestler. A vain, cowardly heel, what she lacks in the ring, she makes up for with attitude, cruelty, and a leather lash. Her entrance theme is a club banger, though.

Finisher: Bridging Scoop Suplex

Notable Matches:

Jungle Assault Nation (JAN)
Team Jungle, feeling (rightfully) unappreciated in STARS, split off on their own and rebranded. Dancing on the line between face and heel, they’ve got chips on their shoulders and something to prove. Pre-match, they yell “Jungle Jungle!” to psyche up, which is deeply embarrassing for anyone outside the group who may be tagging with them. Currently holding the Trios Championship (Artist of Stardom).

Full Roster is: Jungle Kyona, Natsuko Tora, and joshi legend Kaori Yoneyama with rookies Leo Onogawa and Ruaka.

Jungle Kyona (Red Stars Block)
Leader of JAN and one of Stardom’s Big Four. A “power fighter” with a lot of upper body strength (a former shotputter), Kyona is still looking for her big breakout win. She’s had a number of good-to-great matches, and is now looking for the thing to finally put her over the top. (Fun fact: Her current gear was designed by Kairi Hojo/Sane)

Finisher: Sitout Powerbomb

Notable Matches:

Tora Natsuko (Red Stars Block)
With only two years of experience under her belt, Tora has a lot of untapped potential, and a LOT of simmering rage. If anyone goes Full Heel, it’s her. Will murder you with her spear.

Finisher: Frog Splash

Notable Matches:

Touring Westerners

Kelly Klein (Blue Stars Block)
From Women of Honor, Kelly Klein is giant powerhouse striker. Don’t expect anything technical. This will be her second tour with Stardom, the first one tagging with Bea Priestley in a tag tournament.

Notable Matches:
  • :raise:

Nicole Savoy (Blue Stars Block)
The reigning champion of Shimmer and the Queen of Suplexes. Uses MMA-style matwork. This will be her second tour with Stardom

Notable Matches:

Rachael Ellering (Red Stars Block)
Daughter of wrestler and legendary manager “Precious” Paul Ellering, Rachael is an accomplished powerlifter, taking a Bronze in the 2014 World Powerlifting Federation championships. A Lance Storm trainee. This is her 3rd(?) tour with Stardom.

Notable Matches:

Kimber Lee (Red Stars Block)
An indie veteran, having held titles in 9 different promotions (5 of which concurrently), including Grand Champion of Chikara, Kimber Lee has made a name for herself everywhere. Coming off a DOA run in NXT, but we don’t talk about that.

Notable Matches:

Jamie Hayter (Blue Stars Block)
A UK native and EVE regular.

Finisher: Curb Stomp

Notable Matches:

:siren: Please support Stardom World :siren:

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for this post! Going to sign up tomorrow but I think today I'll look through some of those linked matches.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Awesome thread. I'm very excited to see Konami kick people in the head for two straight weeks. I wish Hana wasn't making terrible hair decisions in Mexico during the tournament though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What was her horrible decisions other than just hanging out with Sexy Star

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I just finished Kagetsu/Mayu and I'm already mad at myself for not getting into this sooner. God drat it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RealFoxy posted:

What was her horrible decisions other than just hanging out with Sexy Star

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlwmApHAg0e/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bb23vnf66zke

Also, wasn't it not actually Sexy Star she was hanging with?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fantastic OP - the time period in question is pretty busy for me but I'm going to do my best to try to get in on this, as it sounds like a perfect post-G1 treat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is the push I needed to finally sign up, fantastic OP.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Last year's 5* was pretty good but didn't get a lot of buzz. Great fuckin OP.

Here's last year's show. IIRC Tam Nakano's performance is worth a look.

http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-19-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-20-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-26-2017-osaka/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-27-2017-hamamatsu/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-02-2017-yokohama/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-03-2017-niigata/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-10-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-16-2017-takaoka/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-18-2017-korakuen-hall/

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 1, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Aww shucks, thanks. Stardom deserves more attention than it gets, so I hope this gets some more people watching.

Make sure you check out the three Oedo Tai vs Oedo Tai matches. Both Kris Wolf matches are very fun, and Kagetsu vs Hana is great.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, wasn't it not actually Sexy Star she was hanging with?

It was not.

My Stardom watching has fallen far by the wayside lately so I'm looking forward to jumping back in with the 5*! Thanks for the thread.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm glad I know ahead of time that the tournament matches have a 10 minute time limit. If I didn't know that beforehand I think I'd be confused and a little bummed as to why the matches were all so short. Plus, as much as I love the G1, it'll make everything much easier to watch and digest.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Go RV! posted:

Io, leaving for WWE, passed the torch and the Wonder of Stardom championship (the secondary belt, the “White Belt”) to her QQ protege Momo Watanabe, losing in a hard fought match.

Fun fact: I appear in this footage. I'm the gray blob in the second row behind the guy wearing blue. I shouted Io a couple times, yeah.

Anyway, I want to see one or more of these matches live but I'm not quite sure which one to go to yet.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Konami's ring gear looks 100% better since joining QQ even if it's just cheetah spots added to bits of her old gear. Don't remember her using her finisher until recently too. Hope she goes far.

Also loving Hazuki Violence Mode a lot. Please support Stardom guys!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i am rooting for savoy and tam

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hazuki is winning.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Good op, let's go Hana Kimura Kris Wolf Hazuki!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Update: The official match schedule has been released.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 3, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Now that the G1 is winding down, its time to bump this with some news.

The last participant in the 5*GP has been revealed at today's show: The newly debuted Utami Hayashishita is the final participant in the Red Block.

e: added her to the OP

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tonight's the last night of G1, so 5 Star Grand Prix seems like a pretty good way to jump in while chasing more of that sweet, sweet round-robin tournament high. :getin:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Go RV! posted:

Now that the G1 is winding down, its time to bump this with some news.

The last participant in the 5*GP has been revealed at today's show: The newly debuted Utami Hayashishita is the final participant in the Red Block.

e: added her to the OP

Check out her debut match with Jungle Kyona. They uploaded it early instead of Mayu/Kagetsu. It was maybe the best debut match I've seen. They've also put her front and centre in the new front page image, so they're clearly really high on her.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Check out her debut match with Jungle Kyona. They uploaded it early instead of Mayu/Kagetsu. It was maybe the best debut match I've seen. They've also put her front and centre in the new front page image, so they're clearly really high on her.

Yeah, apparently she's only had like four months of training, but has a strong Judo background and a genuine love of wrestling. The fact she's a minor celebrity means public performance isn't new for her, either.

She's got some real potential.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I guess the judo background would explain her transitions between moves already being so good maybe, I don't really know. Her selling was also way too good for someone only four months in.

She's clearly been prepared well in other aspects too. Like compare her gear to someone like Leo's (lmao). She's also got all her hand signs and stuff down.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The GP starts this weekend! The matches should be up over the course of the week next week.

Also, quick correction: I am an idiot, the time limit is 15 minutes, not 10.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I guess the judo background would explain her transitions between moves already being so good maybe, I don't really know. Her selling was also way too good for someone only four months in.

She's clearly been prepared well in other aspects too. Like compare her gear to someone like Leo's (lmao). She's also got all her hand signs and stuff down.

I watched the match and while I wasn’t floored by it, I didn’t realize she was only 4 months in. That was an amazingly impressive showing. Most people 4 months in would trip over their own bootlaces.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Who is going to win.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got Mayu vs Kagetsu in the finals with a coinflip to decide it. I’d like to see Kagetsu get the nod.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I've got Kyona beating Hazuki, personally.

It's Kyona's time to shine.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So if you subscribe to STARDOM's streaming service are the shows live or on demand?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

On demand, TJPW is the only joshi promotion with live shows to my knowledge

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1030416868056555520

:rip:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

So if you subscribe to STARDOM's streaming service are the shows live or on demand?

on demand. each match opens with subtitled promos from each of the contestants so Stardom is by far the most accessible of the japanese promotions.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dancing entrances are great. Look at Fuego and Kraneo

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

9/24 is going to be a very sad day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know, thinking about it now, I did just binge on the G1 so maybe getting another service and watching ANOTHER tournament is a bit much. Time to rein it in a bit and be fiscally respo-

nevermind :stwoon:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom’s English twitter is tweeting match results so if you’re trying to catch the matches cold, best to avoid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Generally just block Stardom's Twitter if you care about spoilers and want to follow Stardom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey so I'm dumb as gently caress. When I go to the Stardom World page I don't see any sign-up option?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hey so I'm dumb as gently caress. When I go to the Stardom World page I don't see any sign-up option?

The first block match is already up btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The first block match is already up btw

Ahaha, I was clicking the link in the OP which goes to the home page which doesn't have those buttons, I feel so loving dumb now :xd:

• Locked thread