Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes. 100%. But do your research and get well-educated on the matter first or the tough guy chads of the House Bunny Thread will come down on you and reckonize.

And this is exactly why I read this thread and try to learn, even if I don't have bunnies yet. I want to make sure that I never gently caress it up as badly as that guy.

Electric Bugaloo and Cythereal are not afraid to read you to filth, and I love that about them (and PI in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Electric Bugaloo and Cythereal are not afraid to read you to filth, and I love that about them (and PI in general).

I don't even own buns, I just lurk in this thread and others for the cute photos. :shobon: That guy's attitude just ticked me off that much and I did a little research plus listening to what everyone in this and the puppy thread had to say.

Have a couple of cute non-pet bun photos from the wildlife photography thread.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

As a quick laugh for our newfound lurkers we also had Baloogan come here for "advice" recently.

Kurnugia posted:

I need to start reading this forum and also maybe get bunnies

Sure, bunnies make for great pets but they're probably not for everyone. Most don't enjoy being held, and they show affection differently from cats or dogs. (Read: they might not be as cuddly) That can understandably be a letdown for some. Also -like we told that idiot fucker Yossarian a hundred too many times- they are easily stressed. That stress can lead to major health issues so they're not a good match as a first pet if you have a toddler at home for instance.

That's just off the top of my head, if you have any questions feel free to ask. :) Have some more pictures:

Their prey mindset means bunnies are very good at hiding

You can sorta play ball with them

Buns will never be the sharpest pets but my god look at that fluff. :allears: (Why is she facing the cage ? You can't explain that)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Have some dark lord Harriet, master of floof

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Same. I don't have the space or the free time to commit to buns, so I enjoy all the buns vicariously.

(And to see if Harriet had conquered the house and posted heads on stakes outside the door.)

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Cythereal posted:

I don't even own buns, I just lurk in this thread and others for the cute photos. :shobon: That guy's attitude just ticked me off that much and I did a little research plus listening to what everyone in this and the puppy thread had to say.

Have a couple of cute non-pet bun photos from the wildlife photography thread.

I read your posts in the venting about students thread too ;) and I appreciate you.

Thank you bunnyofdoom! Harriet is definitely one of my favorite rabbits ever, and I commend all of you bunny goons for the love and care you give your buns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Have some dark lord Harriet, master of floof

Does the last one make you accessory to the murder Harriet's clearly about to commit? :ohdear:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does the last one make you accessory to the murder Harriet's clearly about to commit? :ohdear:

She's just establishing her dominance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbits are fantastic pets for working people or students with no kids or other pets. You can leave them alone for long chunks of time to go to work or school without distressing them, they litter train easily, and they don't need constant supervision. But you have to accept a pet that isn't cuddly, that wants affection on its own terms, and can be a trouble maker.

They're not bad beginner pets either. The hardest part of having rabbits is that it's only been in the last decade or so you could reliably find good rabbit information. They're easier to care for than dogs, maybe even than cats, but with a cat or a dog you can find help everywhere all the time. Finding a vet is also tricky - you have to get your rabbit spayed/neutered, and not every vet is prepared to put a rabbit under anesthesia. You might have to pay more for specialized vet care.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits are fantastic pets for working people or students with no kids or other pets. You can leave them alone for long chunks of time to go to work or school without distressing them, they litter train easily, and they don't need constant supervision. But you have to accept a pet that isn't cuddly, that wants affection on its own terms, and can be a trouble maker.

They're not bad beginner pets either. The hardest part of having rabbits is that it's only been in the last decade or so you could reliably find good rabbit information. They're easier to care for than dogs, maybe even than cats, but with a cat or a dog you can find help everywhere all the time. Finding a vet is also tricky - you have to get your rabbit spayed/neutered, and not every vet is prepared to put a rabbit under anesthesia. You might have to pay more for specialized vet care.

Yeah, I personally just prefer cats.

On that note, cats and rabbits apparently can - under specific circumstances not recommended for everyone to try - get along okay.

https://i.imgur.com/Yy30pQn.mp4

Edit: didn't realize, but of course it's a maine coon in both...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cythereal posted:

On that note, cats and rabbits apparently can - under specific circumstances not recommended for everyone to try - get along okay.

Rabbits and cats actually get along pretty well. In fact, it's often the rabbit that's the bully during introductions.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Cythereal posted:

Lol, also looks like a flemmie in both.

They’re pretty hardy (of course in the context of still being adorably dopey prey animals)—being 12+ pounds and bred for chillness (common 4H and therapy breed, too!) helps. The only interaction my fawn ones have had with a cat was in a really controlled environment (i.e., they were in a carrier), and the cat ran away and hid for like 5 hours.

That said the boy (sandy) and the girls (fawn) can't live together because they'd eat each other, so there's that.

e: screwed up my imgur

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 8, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, okay. Fair. His meltdown was funny but it's time to end it.

Aw, he already rebought his account. At least he has a probation for 30 days. So...like, we are aware he's like gonna post dead bunny photos when that's done right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Any animals can, with a lot of luck, get along. There are always exceptions. But it's always a risk. It takes a lot of dedication, a lot of knowledge, and a ton of luck. You can't jump into it just because it was on Instagram.

Edit: I say that but I actually do not think a rabbit and a ferret could ever live together.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Aw, he already rebought his account. At least he has a probation for 30 days. So...like, we are aware he's like gonna post dead bunny photos when that's done right?
If he does, he'll get permabanned.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

If he does, he'll get permabanned.

That actually makes me feel better.

Also, side note: Harriet does not like beet greens. Which is a shame.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Love this one.

"Burning churches and chilling tonight." :black101:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wow that was a hell of a read.

Ok so I don't personally own a rabbit, but my fiancee's little sister does, and said sister also owns a chihuahua that her parents got from a puppy mill so she's one of those unfortunate smaller-than-normal dogs (though not teacup tiny thankfully) and the rabbit is definitely bigger than the dog.

So I can assume from what I've read that the rabbit's gonna be stressed and pissy about the dog existing, but the parents who bought the rabbit don't...particularly care for animal safety, I guess. Like, they were surprised that the chihuahua stopped getting mad at them after they stopped kicking her around (though they do get very defensive of her when the conure they recently got is out of his cage because he tries to divebomb the dog and okay I'm getting off track here).

Basically, the situation already sounds bad but there's no way in hell they'd ever give up either of them, and I'm in no way able to make any changes because they're my future in-laws and I'm just a nosy person. My fiancee might be able to at least influence them to make any necessary changes.

Like... I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking. They have a rabbit and a dog, the rabbit is bigger than the dog and has shown aggression towards the dog when the dog gets near, and I can't personally do anything about them owning both animals, so are there like any precautions or signs that I can relay to my fiancee so that she can at least try to make the best of a bad situation?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao, the last four pages were grade-a reading material.

Read every post. :cheerdoge:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I forgot I have a rat crew tag

Rat crew!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Wow that was a hell of a read.

Ok so I don't personally own a rabbit, but my fiancee's little sister does, and said sister also owns a chihuahua that her parents got from a puppy mill so she's one of those unfortunate smaller-than-normal dogs (though not teacup tiny thankfully) and the rabbit is definitely bigger than the dog.

So I can assume from what I've read that the rabbit's gonna be stressed and pissy about the dog existing, but the parents who bought the rabbit don't...particularly care for animal safety, I guess. Like, they were surprised that the chihuahua stopped getting mad at them after they stopped kicking her around (though they do get very defensive of her when the conure they recently got is out of his cage because he tries to divebomb the dog and okay I'm getting off track here).

Basically, the situation already sounds bad but there's no way in hell they'd ever give up either of them, and I'm in no way able to make any changes because they're my future in-laws and I'm just a nosy person. My fiancee might be able to at least influence them to make any necessary changes.

Like... I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking. They have a rabbit and a dog, the rabbit is bigger than the dog and has shown aggression towards the dog when the dog gets near, and I can't personally do anything about them owning both animals, so are there like any precautions or signs that I can relay to my fiancee so that she can at least try to make the best of a bad situation?
This isn't an animal issue, it's a family issue. You can't do anything for them except cut contact with her insane family and move on.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like rabbits a lot, but where can I apply for one of these "rear end in a top hat all day" positions? I have a lot of experience!

tia

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I like rabbits a lot, but where can I apply for one of these "rear end in a top hat all day" positions? I have a lot of experience!

tia
Check around the back

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Love this one.

"Burning churches and chilling tonight." :black101:

Harriet is much more badass then I ever will be

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Came for the hilarity, but stayed to read some dam good advice on keeping bunnies. Also learned to do lots of good reaserch before buying a dog.

Cheers lads!

Edit: step one, don't try co habit predators with prey.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't an animal issue, it's a family issue. You can't do anything for them except cut contact with her insane family and move on.

C'mon man you know this isn't a reasonable thing. I can't just say "hey, you should stop talking to your family and never hang out with your little sister or babysit their pets ever again"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

C'mon man you know this isn't a reasonable thing. I can't just say "hey, you should stop talking to your family and never hang out with your little sister or babysit their pets ever again"
Okay fair, I just mean like there's way more problems here than just how the rabbits are likely to behave. It sounds like their first sign is going to be when the dog attacks the bird back, or gets in a fight with the rabbits. My point is you can't solve it, all you can do is hope they figure things out and not make yourselves crazy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay fair, I just mean like there's way more problems here than just how the rabbits are likely to behave. It sounds like their first sign is going to be when the dog attacks the bird back, or gets in a fight with the rabbits. My point is you can't solve it, all you can do is hope they figure things out and not make yourselves crazy.

Well I found out through her just today that the rabbit actively attempts to mate with the dog and the dog just kinda sits there and licks him and he thumps every time he's mad so I don't know what the hell is going on but she says that they get along fine and that it's a rare example of the exception to the rule, though I still asked her to at least remain cautious, that I wasn't trying to accuse anybody of any purposeful negligence, but that it doesn't hurt to remember these things in case something does happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Well I found out through her just today that the rabbit actively attempts to mate with the dog and the dog just kinda sits there and licks him and he thumps every time he's mad so I don't know what the hell is going on but she says that they get along fine and that it's a rare example of the exception to the rule, though I still asked her to at least remain cautious, that I wasn't trying to accuse anybody of any purposeful negligence, but that it doesn't hurt to remember these things in case something does happen.
Honestly from your description I'm more concerned about the chihuahua's health than anything.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

... I don't know where in this forum this question might go, but gently caress it - is there a PI consensus on Cuddle Clones? I can't decide whether it's really hosed up or only a little hosed up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Remora posted:

... I don't know where in this forum this question might go, but gently caress it - is there a PI consensus on Cuddle Clones? I can't decide whether it's really hosed up or only a little hosed up.

I had to look up what this was. It’s less hosed up than dead pet taxidermy.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Wew lads, what a rollercoaster

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

FirstAidKite posted:

Well I found out through her just today that the rabbit actively attempts to mate with the dog and the dog just kinda sits there

They do humping as a dominance thing even if they are neutered or female, could be that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
does anyone have a link to the post where the maremma sheepdog woman talks about giving up the dog? never saw the sequel to that. was the kid okay?

anyway here's my rabbit, Bread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

A+ 10/10 rabbit name very good

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

does anyone have a link to the post where the maremma sheepdog woman talks about giving up the dog? never saw the sequel to that. was the kid okay?

I hope you didn't want whatever it was in that box because Bread claimed it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It's in the tail end of that thread. One of the other goons was facebook friends with her, and apparently the maremma attacked the autistic kid and sent the dog to a breed rescue. The kid was fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Bread. The rabbit's name is Bread! Bread! My God!

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

awesome rabbit, I hope you don't care about any of those books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lovely!

I went visiting my parents this weekend so I took these for you guys:

Meet Pompon. (french for "Bobble" as in "bobble hat") He's a half lop so one of his ears is always up and the other is always down. Very affectionate, will nudge your leg to get head rubs. :3: