Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Setting up a Gofundme for my pals Evankhell and Jinsung, who got fired by their rear end in a top hat of a boss just for talking on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Last station stuff should be fun, at least. Ship's Team is back at last, gently caress yeah :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hope we get a proper extended break from rachel now

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pierson posted:

Setting up a Gofundme for my pals Evankhell and Jinsung, who got fired by their rear end in a top hat of a boss just for talking on the job.

That was such a jarring and clumsy transitiom.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I was just worried that Evankhell was gonna job to those chumps. At least the Administrator intervening saved her some dignity.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pierson posted:

Poor guy and girl, although that seems to have been the Administrator taking the side of the little monster on the hell train rather than actually being that mad at them

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Disappointed the administrator didn't give them a giant magic eel whale wink before "firing" them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have a good feeling Rachel is twisting the truth. The information we got before from Garam feels like it would be reliable, because it literally came from Arlene's personal diary. Unless Garam and the narration was lying/twisting the truth, what Rachel says doesn't make much sense with what we already know.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think it makes sense. The bits and pieces of Rachel's flashbacks have a brief shot of a monstrous looking figure hidden in the dark of Baam's pit and Baam straight up ate a couple billion souls.

Arlene's diary may have been true when Arlene wrote it and she changed her mind later. Or perhaps it's just a lie to make it so the Tower does not unite against Baam.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its good that the administrators seem to be getting actively involved because of jahads bullshit imo. its not just headon

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Gologle posted:

I have a good feeling Rachel is twisting the truth. The information we got before from Garam feels like it would be reliable, because it literally came from Arlene's personal diary. Unless Garam and the narration was lying/twisting the truth, what Rachel says doesn't make much sense with what we already know.

I wouldn't be surprised if his "monstrous" nature isn't connected to his bizarre charisma. Maybe he was in the cave because if he weren't, it would be impossible to convince people to let him leave for the Tower.

Also, in line with the "25th Night" thing, one of the most important books about Christ written in the last century or so is Zizek and Milbank's "The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its not clear at all in the translation but evankhell being an ancient species means shes a native one like rak

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hodgepodge posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if his "monstrous" nature isn't connected to his bizarre charisma. Maybe he was in the cave because if he weren't, it would be impossible to convince people to let him leave for the Tower.

Also, in line with the "25th Night" thing, one of the most important books about Christ written in the last century or so is Zizek and Milbank's "The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic?"

Literally nothing Zizek has ever written is important.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

:raise:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Alright Rachel is actually way too boring for this story. Even if we don't see her for a long time it just bugs me that it's something Baam has to deal with eventually and the resolution seems uninteresting right now. Also, Baam needs to grow other than eating power ups.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Alright Rachel is actually way too boring for this story. Even if we don't see her for a long time it just bugs me that it's something Baam has to deal with eventually and the resolution seems uninteresting right now. Also, Baam needs to grow other than eating power ups.

Well he just did that by making up his own powers with his own qualities and whatnot. So it's the right direction.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Coffee Mugshot posted:

He sort of did that here, it's just that it still revolved around Rachel.

He should maybe take like five seconds to think about it and realize that he likes Endorsi. But then every girl couldn't potentially be shipped with him I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ToG has never felt like it really had an "obvious" love interest. Closest thing is Endorsi, but even she doesn't seem to fit as well.

I'm partial to fire girl I forget the name of, even though she's realistically not well suited to Baam.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ytlaya posted:

ToG has never felt like it really had an "obvious" love interest. Closest thing is Endorsi, but even she doesn't seem to fit as well.

I'm partial to fire girl I forget the name of, even though she's realistically not well suited to Baam.

Yeon Yiwah, I think.

tbh I'm not sure Baam has went through puberty yet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
What kind of fool would look past Yuri.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Gologle posted:

What kind of fool would look past Yuri.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The thing that makes me most curious about this whole confrontation with Rachel is Baam is still blissfully unaware that Prince and Arkraptor are dead, Arkraptor himself explicitly killed by Rachel in a ridiculous and cruel way.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Didn't Rachel rationalize that she didn't kill him to herself because she's a coward and that was her coping mechanism?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gologle posted:

Didn't Rachel rationalize that she didn't kill him to herself because she's a coward and that was her coping mechanism?

I mean yeah Rachel can justify anything she does. But it's how the rest of the world, especially Baam, sees her that will matter in the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The reason I like Rachel a lot as an antagonist is that she isn't very confident or powerful. She is constantly unsure about what to do and rarely in control of the situation, and the only person on her team that is particularly strong (relative to the strongest folks in Baam's party anyways) is White (and White isn't exactly a reliable companion). Her position has always been very precarious, which is something very unusual in any non-joke antagonist.

Contrast this with Baam's crew, which consists of a huge number of people, several of which are members of the 10 families or Jahad princesses (or Rak, who is basically equal to 5 Jahad princesses by himself). If not for the fact that Baam has some people way above his weight class targeting him, he would be in an almost ideal situation.

(All of this is why I like Wangnan so much as a secondary protagonist figure; unlike Baam, he isn't very strong, and the only people he's really directly connected to are Team Tangsooyook, who are mostly nothing exceptional. He also has more of a compelling personal reason to climb the Tower than Baam, in my opinion.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Team Sweet and Sour are also basically disbanded by this point. Most of the members are either dead or otherwise out of commission. I think the only ones in a stable condition are Wangnan and Yeon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I miss Prince, he was my favorite and it is very sad how now Miseng doesn't have her friend.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Ytlaya posted:

The reason I like Rachel a lot as an antagonist is that she isn't very confident or powerful. She is constantly unsure about what to do and rarely in control of the situation, and the only person on her team that is particularly strong (relative to the strongest folks in Baam's party anyways) is White (and White isn't exactly a reliable companion). Her position has always been very precarious, which is something very unusual in any non-joke antagonist.

Contrast this with Baam's crew, which consists of a huge number of people, several of which are members of the 10 families or Jahad princesses (or Rak, who is basically equal to 5 Jahad princesses by himself). If not for the fact that Baam has some people way above his weight class targeting him, he would be in an almost ideal situation.

(All of this is why I like Wangnan so much as a secondary protagonist figure; unlike Baam, he isn't very strong, and the only people he's really directly connected to are Team Tangsooyook, who are mostly nothing exceptional. He also has more of a compelling personal reason to climb the Tower than Baam, in my opinion.)

Yeah. The angle I hope is explored is that Baam is a magnet for disgruntled elites, and while she could have hopped on that train in a privileged position, she insists on being her own protagonist and going her own way. She also has all the fears, insecurities, and rationalizations which a Chosen One is spared by virtue of the narrative.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, Baam is basically fated to successfully continue his journey for the next long while. Rachel, as far as we know, has no such fate-based protection.

And yeah, there's the whole "she chose to take the hard way" thing, too. This is the biggest reason why I expect some elaboration to her motive; not letting Baam be the prophecied one (or making herself into them) is apparently so important to her that she's willing to put herself in an extremely precarious position that is literally on the wrong side of fate itself (since I doubt that she's not aware that Baam is the "default" prophecied one).

Mulva posted:

What's interesting about that?

Most antagonists in stories like this tend to be powerful and/or confident types (or super evil in the sense of enjoying doing bad things). And when you take into account Baam's whole prophecy, it feels a lot more like Rachel has an uphill long-term battle than he does (as opposed to a more typical setup where the hero has an uphill struggle and the villain is in a position of power).

edit: btw this is completely unrelated, but anyone reading ToG who doesn't read many other Korean webtoons should read Kubera. It's also in the vague genre of "fantasy thing with some fighting" and is, in my opinion, actually a bit better than ToG in some ways (mainly in terms of its characterization).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
What's interesting about that?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-315/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=396

So much stuff is going down this arc, it's great.

Hatsu is still the best, but Baam dueling with the God of Guardians like its the most casual thing ever is pretty drat great. ...To say nothing of how intense and insane the final stop is gonna be.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I have to wonder the logic of announcing your identity when you are just gathering information. Because it's not like you aren't a notable regular or anything and that stealth isn't important when a bunch of 10 family sponsored regulars are convening in one area.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A neat detail about Hatz is that he's STILL using a katana, long past the point where it was said that everybody else switches to needles because of the shinsoo.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm not going to lie I've literally forgotten every single thing about Hatz and I have no clue how they are going to be on any assistance to the hell trainers

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think "stoic katana boy" was kind of his thing during the floor of tests and we haven't seen him since the end of part 1?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pierson posted:

I think "stoic katana boy" was kind of his thing during the floor of tests and we haven't seen him since the end of part 1?

He showed up at the Workshop and learned to swordfight with a pipe full of shinsoo I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He did he also picked up the ignition sword Arie inieta took off that mook

Swords arent useless higher up the tower they just require you to be extremely good. Arie hon has the only s+ ranked weapon that is also a sword

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Hatz also has the ignition sword that he used against princess Shilial at The Name Hunt Station, though he never ignited it. Season 2, Episode 214, 218, 219.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like S.I.U. needs to get someone to help him with fight choreography. Probably the worst part of Tower of God is the straight-up fights, especially ones that center around shinsu (which seems like it's gonna be almost all higher-level fights). There has visually been very little difference between any of the fights that have taken place in the last really-long time. Like, Baam and Hoaqin in their fight didn't come off looking much weaker than Baam and Jahad in theirs, despite there supposedly being a really huge gulf there. Same goes for the fight between Yuri and Karaka; they didn't visually appear much stronger than Baam/data Jahad in their fight, even though they should have been waaaaaaaaaay above their level. I guess there's only so much you can depict with big energy blasts and stuff.

He does an okay job when fights are centered around some objectives (other than "beat the other person"), though even then any direct clashes tend to be DBZ-esque affairs where one person's attack will either work or it won't. It doesn't help that Baam's whole deal is "growing rapidly during fights," which really removes a lot of tension.

edit: I should mention that the shinsu attacks in the fights still look really cool; it's just that the fights aren't interesting to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i agree with all of that. i think the high ranker shinsu fights need to be shown from further out a bit like the very recent ones have been so you can see the scale of it more easily