Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

As a non-native speaker I struggle to understand Donald. I can, but drat it's difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Donald's VA has been the same guy for years, iirc, and he's gotten pretty good at adjusting how intelligible Donald is meant to be from scene to scene, even line to line. He switches a lot between his various characterisations, and I think it's implied he'll show more signs of his comic book incarnation in the season finale.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
He seems quite coherent to me

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Seeing that comic inspired me to look and see if anyone had dubbed it, lo and behold!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Is it true that it's just Mickey and Chip & Dale that are off the table? Because I'd love to see Goofy interact with Launchpad.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ducktales going for deep, emotional family drama with no easy answers is the poo poo I'm all about. Things like that can turn a show from good to Great and I hope that sort of thing continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Webby's facial expression when Scrooge yells at her that she's not family.... Scrooge, you monster :mad:

Yeah that was the gut-puncher sentence for me

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mylan posted:

Is it true that it's just Mickey and Chip & Dale that are off the table? Because I'd love to see Goofy interact with Launchpad.

They've been given permission to use any Disney Afternoon properties they want except for Rescue Rangers (because they're making a live action film of it, barf). So we could very well get the Goof Troop version of Goofy. Plus, Spoonerville's already received a mention in the show.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pakled posted:

Rescue Rangers (because they're making a live action film of it, barf)

wut

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pakled posted:

They've been given permission to use any Disney Afternoon properties they want except for Rescue Rangers (because they're making a live action film of it, barf). So we could very well get the Goof Troop version of Goofy. Plus, Spoonerville's already received a mention in the show.

I actually kinda wanna see how the triplets interact with Max and PJ, with the teenagers likely thinking they're too cool to be hanging out with a bunch of kids but then being blindsided by the crazy poo poo the triplets get up to on a regular basis, compared to their mere teenage shenanigans. Or something along those lines.

Also, Gosalyn would almost certainly get along great with Webby and be a horrible, horrible influence on her.

And I still want to see a race of Launchpad vs Baloo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd love to see this show rehabilitate Kit Cloudkicker the way it fixed Webby.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I'd love to see this show rehabilitate Kit Cloudkicker the way it fixed Webby.

What was wrong with Kit Cloudkicker?
(I haven't watched Talespin since I was a kid)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Donald's VA has been the same guy for years, iirc, and he's gotten pretty good at adjusting how intelligible Donald is meant to be from scene to scene, even line to line. He switches a lot between his various characterisations, and I think it's implied he'll show more signs of his comic book incarnation in the season finale.

Yeah, and given this it seems like Donald being more unintelligible than usual in this series may be intentional just for the sake of the VA joke in the upcoming season finale. Hopefully that'll be the end of it and we actually get to see him more in the second season because it's real dumb how he's even in the intro when he's basically nowhere to be seen in most of the adventures.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So have they announced a third season?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Not as much as with Webby

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ruflux posted:

Yeah, and given this it seems like Donald being more unintelligible than usual in this series may be intentional just for the sake of the VA joke in the upcoming season finale. Hopefully that'll be the end of it and we actually get to see him more in the second season because it's real dumb how he's even in the intro when he's basically nowhere to be seen in most of the adventures.

Well, "absent family" is like the Chekhov's Gun of the entire duck family legendarium; in the original comics it's "where the hell are Huey Dewey and Louie's parents," and then in the 80's Ducktales it's also "where the hell is Donald" ? Like, I remember being a little kid watching the original show and even I would occasionally go "ok it's weird that Donald never shows up, where is he?"

Like, we don't even know H/D/L 's dad's name! After like eighty years of stories!

The current show was absolutely right to tackle that issue head-on as much as they could but there are some inevitable story weirdnesses they couldn't really avoid given that history. Like, if you want to make a Ducktales revival show at all, it's hard to do that and fit Donald into the plot because Launchpad filled his role and you can't cut Launchpad because he's also iconic.

edit: this show and this thread is making me aware that I have much stronger Duckpinions than I had previously realized

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 13, 2018

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Infinitum posted:

Kit Cloudkicker was one of the 'cool older kid' characters from the 90's, instead of a skateboard he had a air glider. He idolized Baloo and had mom who acted as a foil to Baloo's antics. He could be improved upon but was never that annoying from what I remember. There was an annoying baby character in tailspin though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The current show was absolutely right to tackle that issue head-on as much as they could but there are some inevitable story weirdnesses they couldn't really avoid given that history. Like, if you want to make a Ducktales revival show at all, it's hard to do that and fit Donald into the plot because Launchpad filled his role and you can't cut Launchpad because he's also iconic.

I think Launchpad subbing in for Donald during the family dinner was a meta joke on that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shnag posted:

Kit Cloudkicker was one of the 'cool older kid' characters from the 90's, instead of a skateboard he had a air glider. He idolized Baloo and had mom who acted as a foil to Baloo's antics. He could be improved upon but was never that annoying from what I remember. There was an annoying baby character in tailspin though.

I think Kit was one of those convenient cartoon orphans and Rebecca was a substitute mother for him, but basically, with Rebecca's daughter being the token cute little girl. (Being an interesting case where a single mother owning her own business was a major character in a 90s cartoon, a period piece no less, who despite inconsistent characterisation frequently had good reason for calling Baloo out on his dumb poo poo)

Shere Khan would also be an interesting foil to Scrooge. Khan is willing to engage in corrupt and illegal dealings, but has his own code of honour to follow and a fundamentally pragmatic attitude. (After all, it's hard to do business both above and below board if you aren't trusted to be true to your word)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would love to see a modern take on Shere Khan.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, "absent family" is like the Chekhov's Gun of the entire duck family legendarium; in the original comics it's "where the hell are Huey Dewey and Louie's parents," and then in the 80's Ducktales it's also "where the hell is Donald" ? Like, I remember being a little kid watching the original show and even I would occasionally go "ok it's weird that Donald never shows up, where is he?"

Like, we don't even know H/D/L 's dad's name! After like eighty years of stories!

edit: this show and this thread is making me aware that I have much stronger Duckpinions than I had previously realized

I just wish we got more Donald because he's got this family tragedy thing going and seeing more of that would be cool

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There is nothing funnier to me than angsty Donald Duck fanart.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For sure. I have no problem understanding him in Ducktales or especially in the shows aimed at younger kids like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Roadster Racers, but when the duck-ness is turned up to 11 in the Mickey Mouse shorts I have to pay attention closely.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNdhDq-DF8k

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I would love to see a modern take on Shere Khan.

I think Shere Khan is one of those characters you could play nearly the same as he was in the 90s, because the hyper-rich industrialist types that Khan was based on are just as evil and corrupt today as they were 20 years ago. He’d basically be like Glomgold, only deathly serious instead of a bumbling rube. You’d just need to find someone who can live up to Tony Jay’s chilling performance as Khan.

As for Kit, he already had a pretty good starting point for a character arc in the TaleSpin pilot, if I recall. He started out as a member of the Iron Vulture’s crew under Don Karnage (and was in fact Karnage’s protege) and abandoned them after he met Baloo, who showed him he could have a better life than that of a pirate while still flying the same skies as one. It was dropped fairly quickly after the pilot, however, but with modern storytelling focusing on continuity and serialization like DuckTales is doing, Kit’s struggle to find his place in the world between Karnage and Baloo and Rebecca is something you could stretch out over the course of a season now and milk a couple of good stories out of.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

You’d just need to find someone who can live up to Tony Jay’s chilling performance as Khan.

This is the biggest sticking point. I'm not sure anyone can match Tony Jay's performance.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

You’d just need to find someone who can live up to Tony Jay’s chilling performance as Khan.
And good luck with that. I get they wern't really trying (or were tragically trying all they could) but that ReBoot redo absolutely did not pull that one off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Keith David could work for Shere Khan in a different way, but he would not be the same character.

In the same way that Jamie Camil's Don Karnage is very different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Clancy Brown might work, especially with how he's playing Red Death in Venture Bros.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Clancy Brown might work, especially with how he's playing Red Death in Venture Bros.

Yeah. Clancy Brown, Keith David, or Ron Perlman. Or if you wanted to really spend some of that Disney :10bux: and do some David Tennant-style stunt casting, shoot for the moon and get Benedict Cumberbatch. Between Smaug and Star Trek Khan, I’m convinced he could do an absolutely pants-making GBS threads rendition of Shere Khan if you let him go full evil baritone Brit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You need the English spin for Shere Khan to work.

If he was willing to slum it, Idris Elba would be perfect.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

kefkafloyd posted:

You need the English spin for Shere Khan to work.

If he was willing to slum it, Idris Elba would be perfect.

Indeed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can see Clancy Brown, Shere Khan and Lex Luthor have a lot in common.

But yeah, I think the English accent is important.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Another alternative, Peter Seranifowicz.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's very good, but too heated for Tale Spin's Shere Khan.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
That's fair. I never watched Talespin as a kid, but I just wanted to point out Idris already portrayed Khan once. :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. Clancy Brown, Keith David, or Ron Perlman. Or if you wanted to really spend some of that Disney :10bux: and do some David Tennant-style stunt casting, shoot for the moon and get Benedict Cumberbatch. Between Smaug and Star Trek Khan, I’m convinced he could do an absolutely pants-making GBS threads rendition of Shere Khan if you let him go full evil baritone Brit.

Worth it just for the obligatory instance of Scrooge bellowing "KHAAAAAAAN!!!"

Or Idris Elba in keeping with the Jon Favreau movie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wahad posted:

That's fair. I never watched Talespin as a kid, but I just wanted to point out Idris already portrayed Khan once. :v:

Oh, totally fair.

Just watch the first scene here and you'll get a good idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcqDrOC6_Y&t=2s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Some Numbers posted:

But yeah, I think the English accent is important.

David Warner.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

David Warner.

THERE. ARE. FOUR. TRIPLETS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Have Shere Khan be a local Billionaire in Asia who Scrooge basically has to deal with any time he walks into Khan's turf to do adventuring.