Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin
Sard Peoples Assembly

Sard Self Sufficiency Act
Given that we have some money saved up for some other property allocations I propose to the assembly that we direct 10m NSC to the purchase of more factories to further Sardine's self-sufficiency with capitalist's abandoning their obligations towards the people that they exploited. These new factories once established should focus on creating more basic necessities - hygiene supplies, clothing, basic medical supplies. If we somehow meet up our needs and are building a surplus the Professional Advisory Council can determine what other items should be fabricated instead, or to build up a surplus for Sard or other municipalities.

I also ask the Advisory Committee and Professional Advisory Council for a shortened update on what they consider to be important for the People's Assembly to address first as well as the status of established programs. With the new cooperative bank, we may be able to take out a loan to establish other public ventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Comrade Luxemburg, Prime Minister

Appointments
TJC:
2 screening committee commissioners
-Samir Helen, SDU member and professional detective
-Kristín Cruz, CLF member, experience in CLF intelligence
4 investigative commissioners
-Former TRC Member Masamba Ife
-Former TRC Member Rachel Hoffman
-Former TRC Member Bruce Kaufman
-Former TRC Member Mila Newell
1 lower court commissioner
-Elen Sabela, SRLF Member and judge
1 higher court commissioner
-Constitutional Court Justice Rachel Gales

Vast Heaven:
3 Directors
-Teasag Cirino, veteran freighter captain
-Amelie Sharyl, representative of newly formed longshoreman's union
-Padraig Sima, logistical expert and professor at Sard University

Bureau of Labor:
Director
-Shenandoah Bada, radical union organizer

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 14, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Comrade Luxemburg, Minister of Infrastructure

While currently barely functional, Sirta's infrastructure has been left in a dire state by the previous regime that needs immediate attention lest it collapse. To facilitate this, I am putting forth two bills. Although radical, I believe them necessary to halt the decline of Sirta's critical infrastructure and prevent disaster in the future.

Infrastructure funding release posted:

200,000,000 NSC are hereby released from the Reserved Funds to the Ministry of Infrastructure, earmarked for the purchase and upkeep of capital necessary to sustain major repairs, upgrades, and expansions to Sirta's critical infrastructure.

Emergency Nationalization Act posted:

The Minister of Infrastructure is hereby empowered to immediately nationalize and utilize any capital deemed necessary to preserve and expand Sirta's critical infrastructure. Any restitution owed to the previous private owners is to be determined by the Property Appropriations Committee within six months of the seizure. "Critical infrastructure" is defined as the infrastructure necessary to sustain a modern industrial society on Sirta, including but not limited to electrical generation and transmission infrastructure, terrestrial transportation infrastructure, water and sanitation infrastructure, and space infrastructure within the Janus system. Capital necessary to maintain this infrastructure includes but is not limited to construction equipment, specialized materials, and the facilities necessary to produce and maintain such.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Denver Axo
Minister of Finance and Foreign Affairs

For Parliament's consideration:

quote:

Immigration Promotion Act

Any noncitizen arriving on Sirta following the passage of this Act that meets the following conditions:

i) seeks permanent residence on Sirta
ii) is under 55 years of age

shall have their duty to pay an income tax waived for the first five calendar years following the date of their arrival.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 14, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Comrade Radek
Minister of Security and Defense

To slash our income taxes so severely with so little apparent deliberation, while certainly politically attractive, seems a bit hasty. At this time where we yet struggle to maintain our existing obligations to the Sirtan people, to arbitrarily decide to slash an unknown amount of that income from the budget is not something I can support.

Directives to the Sirtan Arms Manufactorum

1. Executive Structure

Overall policy of the SAM will be determined by the Minister of Defense. Day to day operations will be overseen by a Plant Manager, who will be appointed by the MoD and have authority to establish whatever subdivisions required to accomplish assigned quotas.

2. Civilianization

All existing management and project leads will be transitioned out in favor of fresh blood. This process will take a month, with the replaced workers receiving up to 3 months severance. Exisiting employees will be permitted to apply to reinstatement, which will be handled on a case by case basis.

3. Future Direction

I call upon the relevant staff of the Defense and Security (SDF, NFP, NSP, et al.) to forward their materiel needs to my office. I will ensure, as much as possible, that our brave defenders have the tools they need to keep the people of Sirta safe.

Additional Q to the GM: what are current production capabilities?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 13, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
From the Desk of NFP Commissioner Saint-Just
To All Task Force Heads

You have all exceeded my expectations by a large margin. Well done everyone. It's time to shift gears and resources. Let's see if we can't catch our enemies off guard.

Large Scale Corruption is now assigned to assist Organized Crime in their prosecution of the Chappell family cases. I want you to tear down their web of influence and insure the integrity of public and especially judicial functions as the government's cases move forward. I want witnesses. Annette, I want Evelyn Chappell singing like a canary. Find leverage and apply it.

It's clear that our campaign against The Old Cartel is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. Illegal substances should cooperate with the Health Department to find effective counters and neutralizing agents for the Cartel's most addictive substances, and coordinate the the NSP and the Foreign Ministry's Office of Customs Enforcement to disrupt local distribution and extra solar import and export of Cartel goods.

I am also reassigning the Financial Crimes task force to the Old Cartel and the Chappell Family. Find out whose taking their money and arrest them. Find out whose holding their money, indict them, and seize it. Make it absolutely clear that their is no profit to be found in breaking our laws.

My apologies to the SCN Security task force for taking away resources on what is already a frustrating task. I want you to continue your current efforts, but I'd also like you to reach out to Sirta's technology firms and Universities for help on cracking the tech that facilitates the Exchange's operations.

Enforcement, you've done a great job backing the gangs into a corner. Now it's time to start squeezing. Set up shop in the gang's core neighborhoods. HTR teams will lead the way. These neighborhoods are now our neighborhoods. I want forward operating bases and watchtowers. No one makes is to make a move, day or night, without us knowing about it. Cooperation with local households is to be sought out, and those that cooperate are to be protected, and relocated if requested. Gang markers and graffiti are to be taken down and painted over, open displays of affiliation discouraged. Make it absolutely clear that there is no room in any neighborhood, in any city, anywhere on this planet for these types of organizations.

All other departments are to continue as previously directed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Questions for the SBO

What would the costs be to acquire suitable facilities to meet current facility needs for the Child Care program? What would it cost to provide additional training to the staff? What would it cost to create a support program for former wards of the state as they seek employment or enter higher education?

On a separate but related note, what would it cost to provide free daycare services to working Sirtans? What would it cost to provide safe spaces for older children and teenagers in the hours between school letting out and their parents returning home from work?

Question for Child Care Management

What is the status of the minors under your care's educational enrollment and attendance?

Ministry of Interior Budget for Ministry of Interior-March 3063

Income- 45.08

*Admin and Salaries: 4 Million NSC

* Citizen Records: 3.625 Million NSC

* Passes and Documents: 7.5 Million NSC

*Unemployment Allowance: 8.405 Million NSC

*Disability Allowance : 3.90 Million NSC

*Food and Essentials Rationing:12 Million NSC

* Child Care: 5 Million NSC

* Care and Shelter: 650,000 NSC

Total Program Expenses: 45.08 Million NSC

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

To: Director, Office of Foreign Research & Analysis

Please provide my office with an analysis of Outer Alliance negotiating priorities regarding any prospective agreement that would establish Sirta as a partial member.

- - - - -

Director of First Heaven

In addition to the 200 million released to Infrastructure, and pending the Prime Minister's approval, I am releasing 150 million NSC to the Ministry of Interior and 50 million NSC to the Ministry of Health.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo
Panorama Regional Government

March 3063 Panorama Budget Proposal

Companions, this month we are embarking on two major products. A significant portion of Panorama residents are illiterate or lacking in technical skills as a result of our region's long period of neglect. Now, we are continuing to establish Panorama as a national center for education. The first project is a fully functional Community Education Center, with a special emphasis on adult education and nursing and paramedic education. The second is a sister university for PARI - the Panorama Polytechnic University, which will focus on research in biomedical, chemical, mechanical, and computer engineering and complex systems software development. The initial size of the staff and facilities will be 1,000 undergraduates and 500 graduate students and faculty. This month's funding will provide for an initial round of hiring expert faculty and lab equipment, as well as normal operations.

Income

Income Breakdown:

* Profits from Appropriated Business – 7.5 (+1.3) – 0.19 (+0.02)

* [Remaining from last month – 0.195 - 0]

Overall Income: 7.695

Expenses:

* Advisory Committee - 0.5 (+0)

* Residential Power – 0.08 (+0.015)

Overall Expenses: 0.58 (+0.015)

Remaining: 7.115

Expenditures

Expenditures

Miscellaneous

PARI funding - 475,000 NSC

Food Distribution Network - 600,000 NSC

Panorama CEC Construction - 3,800,000 NSC

PanPol funding (hiring bonuses, lab equipment, construction of facilities) - 2,200,000

Remainder: 40,000 NSC

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 14, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

After consulting with the Royal Messenger, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is happy to present to Parliament a mutual criminal justice enforcement treaty between Sirta and the Eternal Monarchy. As the Royal Messenger has signaled their approval, all that remains for the treaty to take effect is Parliament's ratification.

quote:

Maat Accord

or the

Sirtan-Hesperidean Mutual Criminal Justice and Tax Authority Enforcement Treaty

The State of Sirta and the Eternal Monarch of Hesperides pledge the following:

I. The Ministry of Internal Security and the Ministry of Finance, and their Hesperidean counterparts, shall maintain a database listing all Sirtan or Hesperidean citizens who have outstanding warrants for their arrest issued by a Sirtan or Hesperidean court;

II. In order to facilitate a constant update of the database, any vessel departing for Sirta from the Hesperides or vice versa shall carry the latest copy of the database in its manifest, and transmit the new files to the relevant authority upon its arrival;

III. The criminal justice enforcement agencies of both nations shall, upon being made aware of the presence of wanted foreign persons in their jurisdiction, faithfully execute the foreign warrant, arrest the offender, and deliver the offender to the embassy of their counterpart for extradition;

IV. The tax enforcement authorities of both nations shall, in addition to the above responsibilites, freeze any assets held in their jurisdiction by wanted foreign persons, and seize and remit any property alleged to have been stolen or transferred illegally in a warrant issued by a Sirtan or Hesperidean court.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

Denver Axo

After consulting with the Royal Messenger, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is happy to present to Parliament a mutual criminal justice enforcement treaty between Sirta and the Eternal Monarchy. As the Royal Messenger has signaled their approval, all that remains for the treaty to take effect is Parliament's ratification.

Comrade Radek

I welcome this news brought by our esteemed Comrade Foreign Minister - let the criminals of Sirta who may be contemplating flight know that there will be no place for them to run. We shall be sure to take full advantage upon ratification.

------------------------------
To: CINC, SDF Central Command

EYES ONLY

General -

I believe we can be frank with each other - relationships between SDFCC and the Ministry are...cool, at best. The reforms my office have begun will continue - the recent elections have solidified that - but I do believe there is a future in which the SDF is a partner in this future, not an opposition. We are swiftly rejoining the galaxy writ large, and will thus once again have to be concerned with foreign threats, not whatever we see in each other. I do not expect an enthusiastic embrace, nor do I expect the divisions between our, say, organizations, to disappear overnight - it will be a lengthy process, no doubt. But a detente - perhaps? And at least communication. For now, you have my number, and I look forward to discussing further via your representative at the next Defense Objectives Committee Meeting.

----------------------------

GM: Did work on the prison commence as ordered?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 14, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

The SDU is committed to democracy and popular rule in every facet of society. As part of our party platform, we promised to introduce a constitutional amendment altering the makeup of Parliament to reflect these values.

quote:

Common Seats Constitutional Amendment

Upon the expiration of their current terms, all fifteen seats in Parliament currently assigned by Guardian Council appointment shall instead be filled by the random selection of adult citizens to 2-year terms unaffected by elections, joining the five such seats already in existence.

We believe that a government must not only claim to represent the mass of ordinary people, but also be made up of those ordinary people. The Guardian Council shall retain the power to dissolve Parliaments and call for new elections, so we do not believe we are challenging its fundamental sovereignty upon which the current Constitution rests. In addition, the expectation that any citizen may be called upon to help their fellows at the highest levels of government will do much to combat the old dictatorial atmosphere of cynicism and apathy too common in our society. As comforting as it may be to trust our futures to those we imagine to be wise or exceptional, it is more important that we reinforce our belief in democratic input: every citizen is equal. Every citizen has within them the capacity to help others. Every citizen has the right to be a part of government. Every citizen has a duty to participate in government.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 14, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

Denver Axo

The SDU is committed to democracy and popular rule in every facet of society. As part of our party platform, we promised to introduce a constitutional amendment altering the makeup of Parliament to reflect these values.

We believe that a government must not only claim to represent the mass of ordinary people, but also be made up of those ordinary people. The Guardian Council shall retain the power to dissolve Parliaments and call for new elections, so we do not believe we are challenging its fundamental sovereignty upon which the current Constitution rests. In addition, the expectation that any citizen may be called upon to help their fellows at the highest levels of government will do much to combat the old dictatorial atmosphere of cynicism and apathy too common in our society. As comforting as it may be to trust our futures to those we imagine to be wise or exceptional, it is more important that we reinforce our belief in democratic input: every citizen is equal. Every citizen has within them the capacity to help others. Every citizen has the right to be a part of government. Every citizen has a duty to participate in government.

Comrade Radek

I do not disagree with your ultimate objectives here - that being a greater democratization of the people's parliament. I fear however, at the moment, the constitution enjoys a rather sacrosanct status when it comes to more...radical changes - I have already forwarded the minutes of our first session, where a less comprehensive bill failed rather spectacularly. Perhaps yours will have better success. I further agree with your closing sentiments, but do we not already have that with our current system? The citizens of Sirta may engage with their government in a multitude of ways - from standing for lists and citizen seats to direct lobbying on the issues of the day. I agree absolutely that we must fan this revolutionary zeal and ethos, cementing our new government, our new society, on the unbreakable foundation of the people's mandate.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 14, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Bing Ngai, Minister of Health

The health system's necessary reliance on imported pharmaceuticals and other critical medical supplies, and our lack of sufficient native industry in this sector, remains a serious problem. To correct this, I am authorizing the construction of four additional large and modern pharmaceutical factories to be operated by the Sirtan Drug Administration. As each costs an average of 3,500,000 NSC to construct, the total expenditure will be 14 million NSC, drawn from the 50 million released to the Ministry by First Heaven. Further operating costs will be borne by the newly expanded budget of the Sirtan Drug Administration.

The location of the factories are:
- 3 to be located in the city of Opal
- 1 to be located in the city of Sard

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

sniper4625 posted:

GM: Did work on the prison commence as ordered?

Yes it has. You ordered it and have enough free funds in your Ministerial budget. However, please make sure that you have a full grasp on your Ministry's budget.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Crazycryodude posted:

Comrade Luxemburg, Minister of Infrastructure

While currently barely functional, Sirta's infrastructure has been left in a dire state by the previous regime that needs immediate attention lest it collapse. To facilitate this, I am putting forth two bills. Although radical, I believe them necessary to halt the decline of Sirta's critical infrastructure and prevent disaster in the future.

MP Stefan Borisov, Chairman of the Forward Development Group:

"I appreciate the need for repairing and maintaining our vital national infrastructure, but the language of the Emergency Nationalization Act is too broad and too vague. What does "deemed necessary to preserve and expand Sirta's critical infrastructure" mean, in practice? Deemed necessary by whom? The current language of the bill would allow the government to unilaterally seize all construction equipment and "specialized materials" in the country. It goes without saying that the passage of this bill in its current form would have profoundly crippling effects on our construction, maintenance and resource extraction industries. Further, such a sudden, unnecessary and radical move would make foreign investors wary of investing in Sirtan companies for fear of further erratic government seizures, halting our economic recovery. I urge the Prime Minister to reword their bill and narrow it down to the appropriate scope."

tatankatonk posted:

Denver Axo

MP Silvia Collins, Guardian Council Appointee

"Minister Axo seems to fundamentally misunderstand the role of the Guardian Council in our system of government. Its purpose is twofold: the long term purpose is to act as a check on Parliament, preventing abuses of power and deviations from the principles behind the revolution with only a narrow majority, while the short term purpose is to represent each of the factions behind our revolution, thereby preventing internal discord and instability. The 15 seats in Parliament reserved for Guardian Council appointees are one of its primary instruments in carrying out both purposes, with the individuals filling them representing the Council's legislative priorities. Their elimination would greatly diminish the Council's ability to exert influence over legislation, leaving the door open for a ruling coalition commanding a majority of seats to dictate major constitutional changes and stripping the revolutionary factions of their legislative representation. I trust that I don't need to spell out the potentially disastrous consequences of such a change.

That aside, the Minister is also apparently unfamiliar with the motivation behind including the Citizen Seats in Parliament. They are meant to expose Parliament to the perspectives of common citizens, thus preventing it from becoming insulated from the effects of its decisions on ordinary people. However, they are not intended to hold significant sway over those decisions. Giving a fourth of the seats in Parliament to random individuals is a very silly thing to do, from a perspective of creating a sane and functional system of government. It is no different than throwing dice to decide the outcome of contentious votes.

In short, the proposed constitutional amendment is a mess, born either out of deep ignorance or from a cynical ploy to increase the coalition's power in Parliament. "

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 14, 2018

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

To: Academic Institutions Department
Subject: Oversight of the new Medical University of Opal

Hello,

After some consultation with other departments, given the immense nature and necessity for a Medical University to be established in Sirta, let alone in Opal, I have determined that some restructuring is necessary that the future institution follows through on it's commitment of care for the residents of Opal as well as in educating a new generation of Sirtans to be our future doctors, nurses and medical technicians.

Therefore the Medical University of Opal once established will operate under a separate department of Medical Institutions, answerable to a board of seven appointed individuals, three appointed by the Minister of Health and four by myself. That board will also directly report to me. I do not expect many conflicts on this board but the different viewpoints being exchanged will only strengthen the foundation of this institution to Sirta in the years to come.

To that end I have carefully considered the following individuals to represent the Ministry of Education on the board:
Keira Arleth - 57, Former president of the State University of Sirta.
Chao Sze-Ma - 53, Former Dean of Medicine also of the SUS in Opal.
Alaine Wildner - 45, Respected educator and editor of the Sirtan Journal of Medicine.
Terica Tameron - 49, Former Provost of Sard University

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 14, 2018

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin
Peoples Assembly of Sard

Assembly,

To continue with my previous proposal I submit the Sard Renewal Act.

Sard Renewal Act posted:

The People's Assembly of Sard hereby approves the appropriation of all privately owned industrial properties and capital therein. The People's Assembly of Sard will go through the PAC to determine proper valuation of these properties and utilize the Property Appropriation Mortgage Act to begin a mortgage to pay off the previous owners.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Bing Ngai, Minister of Health

I welcome the opportunity to collaborate with the Minister of Education on the vital subject of medical education, and hope to see a further expansion of our medical training capacity in the near future.

As Minister of Health, I appoint the following to the Medical Institutions Board:

- Tâm Quỳnh, 43, Chief of Medicine at First Mercy Sapphire Municipal Hospital
- Nguyễn Minh, 56, Head of Nursing at South Shore Opal Medical Center
- Jana Hlavatý, 38, Director of Peridot's Mental Recuperation and Wellness Center

- - - - - - -

REPORTER: Minister, just a quick comment on the proposed amendment to the constitution-

NGAI: I support the SDU party platform and the amendment.

REPORTER: Just a quick elaboration?

NGAI: I really don't have the patience for dressing up my language. It's obvious that there are elements in the non-elected portion of the government - the Guardian Council, the SDF, and the remnants of the former opposition and intelligence communities - who only participated in the revolution in the expectation of retaining their powerful and largely unaccountable positions. As their number is mostly made up of technocrats and soldiers, it is unlikely that they have any real affection for democracy or greater public involvement in government, and they certainly have no faith in the ability of the people to govern themselves. If Greene had not been incompetent enough to trigger the broader economic and diplomatic crisis, I doubt they would have felt compelled to act against him. Unfortunately for this faction, the public has overwhelmingly endorsed three parties who do not share their elitist disdain for the ordinary person: added together, the SRLF, SDU, and SnnSP received 80% of all votes cast. Obviously, nearly everyone on Sirta desires further major political reforms in the spirit of the policies of these parties. Obviously, these elements of the SDF, Guardian Council, and opposition will have to reconcile themselves to the democratic will of the people sooner or later.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 14, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Michael Saint-Just, Minister of Interior

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

MP Silvia Collins, Guardian Council Appointee

"Minister Axo seems to fundamentally misunderstand the role of the Guardian Council in our system of government. Its purpose is twofold: the long term purpose is to act as a check on Parliament, preventing abuses of power and deviations from the principles behind the revolution with only a narrow majority, while the short term purpose is to represent each of the factions behind our revolution, thereby preventing internal discord and instability. The 15 seats in Parliament reserved for Guardian Council appointees are one of its primary instruments in carrying out both purposes, with the individuals filling them representing the Council's legislative priorities. Their elimination would greatly diminish the Council's ability to exert influence over legislation, leaving the door open for a ruling coalition commanding a majority of seats to dictate major constitutional changes and stripping the revolutionary factions of their legislative representation. I trust that I don't need to spell out the potentially disastrous consequences of such a change.

Actually Minister, I would very much like for a Guardian Council appointee to spell out exactly what they think the consequences would be. For the public record, and anyone who might review this session later. What threat would rise to torment Sirta's people if they actually got to choose who votes on their laws?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Comrade Radek

To: Commissioner, NSP

My Dear Commissioner,

My heartiest congratulations on your successes thus far. In this time of taking account, I wanted to check in with your division as to:

1. Your current initiatives
2. The state of your current divisions
3. Any particular needs - financial, materiel, or otherwise - for your division.

Obliged.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

With the government's current priority of major economic reforms, nationalizations, and restructuring, an inter-ministerial working group would be useful to coordinate economic plans.

quote:

Economic Direction Committee Act

Parliament shall establish a Committee of Economic Direction, consisting of the following voting offices:

-Minister of Infrastructure (Chair)
-Minister of Finance
-Minister of Foreign Affairs
-Minister of Education
-Minister of Health
-Minister of Interior
-Minister of Agriculture
-Guardian Council Member;

and the following nonvoting offices:

-Director of Office of Foreign Research and Analysis
-Director of Office of Economic Research and Analysis
-Director of Office of Secondary Markets Studies
-Director of Sirtan Budgetary Office
-Director of Office of Agriculture Statistics & Planning Services

Ministers holding more than one Ministerial office simultaneously shall count as one vote. At the passing of this bill, the Committee shall be chaired by the Minister of Infrastructure. The position of Chair may be relinquished voluntarily at any time, and reassigned by majority vote. The Guardian Council Member shall be selected by a vote among members of the Guardian Council.

The Committee is to possess power of recommendation of nationalization, direction, and sanction over any Sirtan industry or firm. The Committee may recommend mergers or closures, or recommend the revoking of corporate or bank charters. The Committee may recommend production targets for firms. Any such direction or recommendation resulting in appropriation must be referred to the Property Appropriation Committee for a full valuation.

Any voting member may author a recommendation. Upon a majority vote of all voting members, the recommendation will be adopted by the Committee.

Any recommendation of direction, nationalization, establishing production targets, sanction, or appropriation, must be presented to the Prime Minister for approval. Upon approval, the recommendation shall proceed to Parliament for a vote.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The March 3063 Drafting Phase is extended until Monday - the 20th of August - at 9:00 UTC.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

BREAKING: Health Minister Binh "Bing" Ngai resigns from cabinet

quote:

From the Sapphire Times:

PUNISHED: Was Ngai forced out for his harsh comments about Guardian Council members?

quote:

From the Opal Recorder-Courier

Ngai gave a brief statement to reporters, citing his desire to return to work as a physician during the current health crisis: "We can always use more doctors. As one of the nation's leading biomedical-neurology surgeons, I have decided that the scope of the emergency means that I would be of more use in the hospitals and medical schools themselves. I will remain a SDU MP. My Deputy Minister and fellow SDU MP Yamakawa Kikue will suceed me as Minister in the interim until a permanent replacement is voted on."

quote:

From the Panorama Evening Star:

THANK YOU MINISTER NGAI: We remember a dedicated civil servant's brief but productive months in office

quote:

From The Watch Network

SUCCESSION ODDS: Interim Health Minister Yamakawa is also a physician...but does the Prime Minister want someone else for the job?

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 17, 2018

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Kikue Yamakawa
Deputy/Interim Minister of Health

Thank you, Outgoing Minister of Health Ngai, for your faithful service to the people of Sirta. We are in your debt, and I dedicate myself to continue and expand upon your work.

I inherit a Ministry that is on the right path, but badly underfunded. In my time as the head of Epidemiology at Peridot People's Hospital, I saw many cases of preventable illness, and illnesses that we couldn't treat as a result of ongoing supply shortages. I fully support Outgoing Minister Ngai's initiative to construct factories to produce critical and vital medications and supplies.

I'm also concerned about the mental health and well-being of all Sirtans. I've seen many, many patients with clear signs of posttraumatic stress, yet we only have resources for the most profoundly sick patients. Often, patients go without treatment until their cases are severe, and many succumb to their illness, or self-medicate and get caught up in the illegal drug trade. As such, I humbly request of the SBO an estimate of how much it would cost to fully fund mental health services. I'm aware all of the Ministry of Health needs such estimates, and will get to each in turn.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 17, 2018

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

To: Department of Academic Institutions, Ministry of Education
Subject: Curriculum changes

Hello,

As we are now able to more fully fund each respective institution, I would like to ensure that our academic standards for a quality education are met for all Sirtans and that said education prepares each student for a worthwhile purpose in life, especially since we are still rebuilding after a devastating civil war and decades of neglect under a tyrannical regime. With all that said, I don't want to personally force a specific set of curricula down each of your institutions throats. Your various histories and specialties make that unpalatable and untenable. As long as we can follow these guidelines in updating curricula where appropriate, we should be setting these students up for greatness for decades to come:

1.) That each student understands fully the atrocities of the Vallstein regime, and the political, economic and social systems in place that oppressed the people of Sirta.
2.) That a critical review of capitalism, one of the tools of oppression of the Vallstein regime, is offered in any economics department's class, and alternative economic systems (Neo-Marxian economics, Post-Post-Keynesian, etc) are encouraged to be studied upon.
3.) That courses be developed with advanced strategies of communal development, building a more just and equitable society, and strategies to mitigate a future Vallstein from coming to power in mind.

--Bookchin

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The March 3063 Drafting Phase is extended until Thursday - the 23rd of August - at 12:00 UTC. Currently having some unexpected real life issues, so sorry for being a bit unresponsive lately. On the plus side, they should be resolved fairly soon, and then I will have literally unlimited free time to devote to this game for at least a month.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Shazia Hassan, SDU MP

quote:

Restroom Access Act

No retail or food service business or worker's cooperative on Sirta may restrict the use of restrooms on their premises to paying customers or employees only. A 50 NSC fine is to be levied against any business or worker's cooperative that is found in violation of this law, per instance.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

Shazia Hassan, SDU MP

Perhaps the honorable member would care to sponsor a public infrastructure investment program instead of this overly broad piece of legislation. I note there's not even a proposed penalty for failing to comply with the mandate .

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 21, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

Perhaps the honorable member would care to sponsor a public infrastructure investment program instead of this overly broad piece of legislation. I note there's not even a proposed penalty for failing to comply with the mandate .

I may introduce the former myself if I have time to draft it.

Shazia Hassan, SDU MP

Perhaps the Minister of Infrastructure has such a plan, in which case she should submit her bill. The suggestion of a minor penalty for seeking to bar your fellow citizen from the simple necessity of relieving themselves is appreciated, though, and I have added one.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 21, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I have drafted and submitted my own idea, thank you. A far superior solution than attempting to turn the NSP and Judicial System into the Bathroom Police.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Shazia Hassan, SDU MP

Not only does the Ministry of Interior already face a shortage of funding, but the esteemed Minister of Defense's bill surely represents a larger, and more unnecessary, government expenditure than simply encouraging the opening up of utilities that everyone needs to the public.

Edit: After further consulation with coalition members, I have revised the bill to cover only retail and food-serving businesses.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Stanislav Sykora
Judicial Appointments Committee
SDU MP

This bill has been withdrawn.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 22, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

Shazia Hassan, SDU MP

Not only does the Ministry of Interior already face a shortage of funding, but the esteemed Minister of Defense's bill surely represents a larger, and more unnecessary, government expenditure than simply encouraging the opening up of utilities that everyone needs to the public.

Edit: After further consulation with coalition members, I have revised the bill to cover only retail and food-serving businesses.

A superior compromise I could support. I thank the member for her wisdom.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Comrade Radek

As for the MU reorganization bill - I believe it premature and unnecessary. The comparative autonomy of the MU was a feature, not a bug, and my Ministry has several initiatives in the works to address the point the honorable member raises about standards, training, and equipment. But to strip the brave defenders of the frontier of that hard earned autonomy, in a massive bill proposed this late in the legislative session? Not the way to proceed, in my opinion, let us take this one back to the drawing board and abandon this effort.

I have also withdrawn my act, as it is no longer needed, though I would certainly support its return at a more fiscally feasible date.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 21, 2018

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Kikue Yamakawa

Memo to: Ministers of Justice, Internal Security

Please conduct a survey of the prison populations regarding the natures, methods of use, effects, withdrawal symptoms, and comorbidities of the top five illicit drugs plaguing our people. Please include samples in your reports, as we are working to develop new medications to counteract the drugs and treat addictions. It is in this way that we will starve organized crime bosses of revenue. Thank you for your cooperation.

Memo to: Sirtan Drug Administration

We need more information on the illicit drugs being used by the people. I've requested a survey of prison populations to see what substances are being abused and how, but we need to know what exactly these drugs are doing to people, in order to develop ways to treat addictions. Within the coming months we will receive funding for this, so please start drawing up plans now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cat_herder posted:

Kikue Yamakawa

Memo to: Ministers of Justice, Internal Security

Please conduct a survey of the prison populations regarding the natures, methods of use, effects, withdrawal symptoms, and comorbidities of the top five illicit drugs plaguing our people. Please include samples in your reports, as we are working to develop new medications to counteract the drugs and treat addictions. It is in this way that we will starve organized crime bosses of revenue.

Consider this forwarded to the relevant people.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Minister Saint-Just

I present the following bills for Parliament's consideration. I believe they'll do a great deal to make our justice system safer for all involved.

The Court Protection Officer Act

The Ministry of Justice shall create a force of Court Protection Officers who are armed and empowered as law enforcement officers and tasked with the physical protection of justices, court officers, and the physical spaces of Sirta's courthouses, and with carrying out any other duty Parliament assigns to them. The Minister of Justice is to appoint someone to head this agency as its chief officer. The Minister will also ensure that they are subject to the same level of training and standards as all other national law enforcement bodies, and that they are sufficiently funded and equipped to carry out their assigned tasks.

The Witness Protection Act

The Ministry of Justice is hereby ordered and empowered to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety and security of any who testify as a witness and their family in any case it brings before the courts of Sirta for as long as it believes such a threat exists. These steps include but are not limited to:

a)sealing the witness and their families public records
b)creating new identities for witnesses and their families
c)relocating the witness and their families's residence, place of work, place of business, and place of education, including to a foreign host nation
d)purchasing, equipping, and guarding safehouses with Court Protection Officers
e)assigning Court Protection Officers as temporary or long-term bodyguards

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Excellent legislation designed to protect the very fundamentals of our justice system. Of course it has my full support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Denver Axo

The SDU supports both bills, especially the Witness Protection Act, a service we have called for in our party platform.

At the urging of coalition partners, I have also suggested that the Militia Union Act be withdrawn for now.