Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought an electric car through the Costco auto program.

I won't be needing the big hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

luchajones posted:

reversible belts and cold meat?!? Costco is going downhill!

let me tell you, about shareholders

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like Costco steaks. They are good.

GET BEEFY.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Even though Costco has the big hose, I always feel undignified wrapping it around the back of my car so I always pick the pump on the same side as the fuel tank.

My filler is right in the middle, but it's also only like a foot off the ground so i never have to stretch the hose, but still feel undignified :(

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Someone in the GWS whiskey thread said costco had some special whiskey so I went over, but they didn't have it.

I did get some of those korean bulgogi dumplings and a couple bottles of wine and a jar of marcona almonds though, and a slice of pizza for lunch, so not a total loss.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GORDON posted:

Gonna lay some Fat (40 Amp) pipe for this man :science:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GORDON posted:

I just bought an electric car through the Costco auto program.

I hope it wasn’t a Tesla

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna lay some Fat (40 Amp) pipe for this man :science:

You know what's up...I'm about to install a 220 line in my garage.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

hakimashou posted:

Someone in the GWS whiskey thread said costco had some special whiskey so I went over, but they didn't have it.

I did get some of those korean bulgogi dumplings and a couple bottles of wine and a jar of marcona almonds though, and a slice of pizza for lunch, so not a total loss.

I bought a bag of the bulgogi dumplings today, too.They are really, really good!!!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The bulgogi dumplings aren't available at my local 'co and that sucks. I did finally pick up a box of the chicken fried rice though and it's up there in terms of frozen food quality.

How long until the Instant Pot goes on sale? $110 is kinda steep since it is basically the $75 model that goes on sale for $60 occasionally. It's the Duo model with Duo Plus controls and the box lies because it's 7-in1, not 9-in-1. Still want one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Same. I didnt care about it until a goon posted about tossing their Zoji rice cooker for it. Just after the Amazon Prime Day deal, too. :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jesus, don't toss a rice cooker (especially a good one) for an instant pot. Electric pressure cookers are good at a lot of things, but a rice cooker is a thousand times better at cooking rice.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've pondered getting a pressure cooker for years, I still haven't run into anything where I have needed one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

Jesus, don't toss a rice cooker (especially a good one) for an instant pot. Electric pressure cookers are good at a lot of things, but a rice cooker is a thousand times better at cooking rice.

poo poo, especially a Zojirushi. Mine is the only rice cooker I've had that cooks brown rice perfectly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Had to go to the Irvine Costco today, there was a lady washing her hands using the water tap on the soda fountain.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm the goon who ditched his Zoji rice cooker. I wasn't planning on giving it away at the time, but my instant pot is as good or better at cooking rice, straight up.

Note that I am talking about the instant pot Ultra, which has an amazing auto-rice setting.

In any case I didn't mean to make you so angry and hyperbolic about cooking rice, sorry friend!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Instant pots suck at cooking rice. Even a cheap rice cooker does it better.

Like I love my instant pot don't get me wrong but basically all the settings other than manual pressurecook are not very good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Cool man, I'm just confused because it doesn't sound like you actually used the device and setting I'm describing?

I am a highly experienced cook and have used my Zoji about a million times. Then I got the Instant Pot Ultra, and over time it was just obvious that the instant pot was as good or better, so I ditched the Zoji.

Just my take on it, as someone who is really experienced at making rice and has done so infinity times in expensive rice cookers. Anyways, see ya.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
As Experienced Rice Master I

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Had to go to the Irvine Costco today, there was a lady washing her hands using the water tap on the soda fountain.

Go to the one in Garden Grove. See the sights, and by sights I mean a million geriatric asian folks. The stereotype of bad asian drivers is a lazy one, but holy crap just walking from my car to the entrance I saw nearly a half dozen slow-speed accidents.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kaincypher posted:

Go to the one in Garden Grove. See the sights, and by sights I mean a million geriatric asian folks. The stereotype of bad asian drivers is a lazy one, but holy crap just walking from my car to the entrance I saw nearly a half dozen slow-speed accidents.

Yes this is Irvine, many people from countries where personal car ownership is a relatively new concept.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Also, like, what if you want to make something in the instant pot that goes good with rice?

Keep yo rice cookers

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

https://www.costco.com/Mustang-Shelby-Car-Pool-Table-.product.100425969.html

$11,000 pool table, PBUC

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Yes this is Irvine, many people from countries where personal car ownership is a relatively new concept.

I once saw an elderly Asian woman knock over one of those gift sets of booze at the Tustin district Costco. She awkwardly shuffled away before any employees showed up.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Praise be unto all those who accept the warm hug of Costco.

I made some C dogs at my own house. Ate one straight with a big ol dill pickle. Pretty solid. Missing mustard.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

arisu posted:

Also, like, what if you want to make something in the instant pot that goes good with rice?

Keep yo rice cookers
If you're lacking space in a lovely tiny 1br like me, use a medium saucepan for rice which is what I do and it turns out great. I can’t comment on Zuji vs insta pot for rice; I had a cheap $20 Zuji like 8 years ago from costco and it wasn't great and long since tossed it, and now I have a Fagor instapot knockoff and it's also not very good for rice, and not very good for anything since the pressure cooking part seems to leak psi p badly.

But if you want to make fluffy restaurant tier basmati using a saucepan, I do this:

2 cups rice
Rinse rice super well in a colander and shake it around while running water over it for a few minutes, or soak for like 30 minutes. Get rid of as much starch as you can which is what makes it kinda lovely
Small amount of salt (1/2 to 1/4 tsp)
Teaspoon or two of cumin seeds (optional but the aromatic factor is A+)
Teaspoon of white vinegar to keep grains from clumpy and break up starch (also optional but I find it really really helps, just make sure not to go overboard or else you'll just take acetic acid)
Bring 3 cups water to a boil first and then add all that poo poo (optional but I boil water in a kettle first anyways)
Once all boiling, Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil, then cover that with lid (most lids I’ve used don’t seal well so the foil works really well to trap everything), reduce heat to low and cook 15 min. Take off heat at 15 and let sit covered for another 5 min

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 14, 2018

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Haven’t made rice in my regular instant pot but I use the rice setting to cook quinoa purchased at costco. 1:1.5 parts quinoa to liquid and a quick release when it beeps. Quick release is important so you don’t end up with mushy grains.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What buns does Jesus buy to serve with Costco 1/4 all beef hot dogs? Because this disciple couldn't find any buns in the church today.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Goin 2 the Co' tonight

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Goin 2 the Co' tonight

Same, gonna get a onion and ket communion

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
You guys ever buy stuff on Costco's website and get it shipped to you?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Costco has a website?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Costco has a website?

bruh!!!

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

EAB posted:

Umm I used to work on the Costco website.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

EAB posted:

Yeah, but only something not sold in stores.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I went to a ‘co in NC tonight and there were no toddler-sized bags of Nearly Naked popcorn :(

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Where the gently caress has the honey roasted peanuts gone?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

EAB posted:

It's the only way I can get Utz's Pub Mix atm

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Friends, when a thing is not at the co, talk to the people at the desk. They will tell you when/if it's coming back and supposedly requests are documented and make things come back faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Their website has some really weird problems. Like it used to always show me the Canadian one, despite me setting en-US and being way far from the border. One day I cleared every cookie and that helped but I still need to log in if I revisit every few hours. It seems bad.

Also they do :airquote: free shipping :airquote: but usually the prices are raised vs a warehouse to compensate.