Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Crocop :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Crocop wasn’t a prospect he just lost to his own special move

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mac Danzig was the worst prospect.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
gonzaga was definitely a guy who didn't live up to his hype. world class grappler, striking was rough but he hit real hard, pretty athletic for a 2007 era heavyweight. but no cardio and especially no heart. rip gonzaga.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
A+ youtube game though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg0l0l9qYAM

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
karate

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jon Jones - almost certainly would’ve been the best ever, but became a reckless druggie and steroid cheat and lost to Matt Hamil

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
imo urijah hall and erick silva were both good fighters so they cant be the most dissapointing

nover i agree with

napao never lived up to his on paper skillset and physical gifts but especially before he semi-retired he was very dangerous and got to a title match where be broke the champs arm

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
how about roger huerta or roger gracie

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Stefan "Barrel Scraper" Struve

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
guillard

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonzaga did some cool things in the Octagon and got a title fight. That's better than 99% of fighters. People often forget that he hurt Carwin with punches and had him wobbled right before Carwin set up a stroke simulation in Gonzaga's brain.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Gonzaga did some cool things in the Octagon and got a title fight. That's better than 99% of fighters. People often forget that he hurt Carwin with punches and had him wobbled right before Carwin set up a stroke simulation in Gonzaga's brain.

hes gotta be up there for most finishes and he had amazing kos and subs. rare fighter really

i get it though. he had amazing speed, power, strength, top control, guard, granite chin, and threw great punches, kicks and knees. then he crumpled to the ground every time. also when he came back the last few years he seemed to lack his earlier athleticism

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 14, 2018

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
John Hathaway looked like one of the most promising welterweights when he first appeared. Plowed through Rick Story and then spent 15 minutes doing things to Diego Sanchez that by all rights should have killed him. Then, suddenly all his momentum just seemed to drain. He started having dull fights where nothing really happened until Dong starched him and he retired. Apparently, he was diagnosed with Crohn's just after the Sanchez fight and it really took a toll.

Also, Cirkunov looked like he was gonna be a top LHW (for what little that's worth), went 4-0 and looked dominant in all of them. Then it turned out that he dives face first into the canvas and gives up if you tap his chin.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i remember thinking Jake Ellenberger was gonna be really good when he was on that long win streak and beat jake shields and diego. hes went 4-9 since.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cart Mountain posted:

i remember thinking Jake Ellenberger was gonna be really good when he was on that long win streak and beat jake shields and diego. hes went 4-9 since.

Ellenberger is close to the top of the list of athletes that I'd forcibly retire from the sport if given the power.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

hes gotta be up there for most finishes and he had amazing kos and subs. rare fighter really

i get it though. he had amazing speed, power, strength, top control, guard, granite chin, and threw great punches, kicks and knees. then he crumpled to the ground every time. also when he came back the last few years he seemed to lack his earlier athleticism

gonzaga had the opposite of whatever whittaker has in his brain to make him win all those fights. he'd find a way to lose that big fight no matter what.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
but watching him clean up heavyweight garbage was always good, he really beat the poo poo out of people.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Remember that brief time when Todd Duffee was the future?

Then this:

edit: gif won't embed for some reason, here is the link:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2mfz01w.gif

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 14, 2018

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Oh man I used to get loving PSYCHED to see Erik Silva ......

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

n8r posted:

Brandon Vera

This is the correct answer - he was being hyped as a future two division champion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Count Roland posted:

Then this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wQUYJlbSZ4

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How the gently caress did I forget Sokoudjou

And the 20-2 debutant by the name of Dave Herman

Lid fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 14, 2018

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Foul Fowl posted:

gonzaga had the opposite of whatever whittaker has in his brain to make him win all those fights. he'd find a way to lose that big fight no matter what.

He struck me as extremely talented athletically but then he trained only with soccer moms and hobbyists in a mall gym

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Jerome Louis posted:

He struck me as extremely talented athletically but then he trained only with soccer moms and hobbyists in a mall gym

Who are you to disparage the funch bunch

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I almost said Sokoudjou earlier, because lord knows he had a shitton of hype after Pride folded, but I feel like it's less shameful than most because he was getting beat up by Machida and Banha and Babalu, which is a pretty tough ask.

Vera's also kind of tough because he only became a prospect thanks to a really good winning streak that included boatmurdering Frank Mir before that was a fashionable thing to do and his losses were five world champions (and he should've beaten Couture), Ben Rothwell on a lot of steroids, and Keith Jardine, the greatest fighter of the modern age.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

david carmichael posted:

Who are you to disparage the funch bunch

Hey I was talking about Gonzaga not Gomi :hehe:

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
I vaguely recall Tom Watson apparently being a highly touted prospect by some people (probably just Gareth Davies). He was the BAMMA champ coming in the UFC having beaten such names as Matt "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" Horwich and the still lukewarm corpse of Ninja Rua. Some of them thought he would be the biggest test for Anderson Silva at the time. Then he went 2-5, finally getting cut after losing to Camozzi.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MysteryNad posted:

I vaguely recall Tom Watson apparently being a highly touted prospect by some people (probably just Gareth Davies). He was the BAMMA champ coming in the UFC having beaten such names as Matt "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" Horwich and the still lukewarm corpse of Ninja Rua. Some of them thought he would be the biggest test for Anderson Silva at the time. Then he went 2-5, finally getting cut after losing to Camozzi.

I don't remember the hype going to those heights, but I do remember buzz around him.

I typed up this whole thing about when he fought Brian Stann but before I hit post I looked up his record and he never fought Stann, and now I'm really confused.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Jerome Louis posted:

Hey I was talking about Gonzaga not Gomi :hehe:

Gonzaga was funch's primary training partner

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pretty sure i said in the GDT when Jones won the belt off of Shogun or the monthly thread around then that Bones and Phil Davis would be fighting for the belt by 2013 or so. RIP, Triangle Shaped Man. It looks like you're doing well enough for yourself in Bellator.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

CarlCX posted:

Thatch is hard to beat as a candidate. Will Brooks is up there, too. Hector Lombard's my personal favorite; he was the terror of the entire world and the dude a lot of people picked to beat Anderson, and then he immediately got beat by Tim fuckin' Boetsch and is, what, 3-7-1 or something?

I think Boetsch would qualify as well. His debut was that sick rear end beatdown of David Heath.

After that 1-2 and kicked out of UFC.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

MysteryNad posted:

I think it was the Kong gimmick plus rather violent knockouts he produced against inferior talent. He had unfortunate habit of losing key fights.

Similar to Lee Murray.

Kong is actually making a comeback and is signed to BAMMA

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 14, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Then this:

God drat that could be my favorite fight of all time, mainly because of how hard they were hyping up Duffee. Multiple magazine covers, Rogan effusively losing his mind about 'Duffee is the New Breed Of Heavyweight'; then my dude completely derails the hype train with the most timid jab ever. I think that was the fight that made me realize Rogan is a biased idiot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That last lovely punch Duffee was throwing when Mir knocked him out is burned into my brain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

red19fire posted:

God drat that could be my favorite fight of all time, mainly because of how hard they were hyping up Duffee. Multiple magazine covers, Rogan effusively losing his mind about 'Duffee is the New Breed Of Heavyweight'; then my dude completely derails the hype train with the most timid jab ever. I think that was the fight that made me realize Rogan is a biased idiot.

I'm watching it right now and Rogan is basically calling Duffee out for being on steroids, or coming close to it. Plus Goldie tosses out some really classically stupid Goldieisms too.

"He looks like someone made him in a lab."
Joe: "Look at those legs." Goldie: "Legs like Brock Lesnar!"
Joe: "Whatever he's using I want to buy it." Goldie: "Put it in a wheel barrow!"
Joe: "Not since Cabbage have we seen a chin like this." Goldie: "That man is superhuman!"
Joe: "Tim Hague, Duffee's 7 second victim, must be at home wondering 'what is inside Mike Russow's head'" :smith:
Joe: "Duffee might be trying to set up a left high kick, a la Mirko Cro Cop." Goldie: "Cro Cop with those devestating leg kicks, Joe."
Joe (after Russow lands two big right hands to Duffee's temple): "That's the craziest thing I've ever seen in 1000 fights!"
Joe: "If that was in a movie you'd say shut up that can't happen in real life" Goldie: "It just did!"

This fight should 100% be mandatory viewing for people who are getting into UFC and want to fill in a bit about where the sport has been and gone. It puts so much of the brand on display.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

How the gently caress did I forget Sokoudjou

And the 20-2 debutant by the name of Dave Herman

i forgot soko fought in ufc

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

TheCool69 posted:

I think Boetsch would qualify as well. His debut was that sick rear end beatdown of David Heath.

After that 1-2 and kicked out of UFC.

boestch killed okami with a very unique ko

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Eat This Glob posted:

Pretty sure i said in the GDT when Jones won the belt off of Shogun or the monthly thread around then that Bones and Phil Davis would be fighting for the belt by 2013 or so. RIP, Triangle Shaped Man. It looks like you're doing well enough for yourself in Bellator.

phil davis is a good one. hes like Gray Maynard or Josh koscheck except instead of 1 guy standing between him and the belt, there were like 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bundt Cake posted:

phil davis is a good one. hes like Gray Maynard or Josh koscheck except instead of 1 guy standing between him and the belt, there were like 5

He won me money by beating Machida in an absurdly boring fight so he’s not a disappointment to me.

Probably to himself and his family though.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 15, 2018

• Locked thread