Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

Jim going ham on Nintendo for being Nintendo is always a pro-watch.

I can't endorse that video and similar sentiments enough, since Emuparadise getting gutted is majorly disappointing. They were the go-to resource for emulation stuff. There's still other sites out there, but now I worry about how much longer they'll survive for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I somehow missed that this is still going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zfLa9s4pMI

Drake is right to reject Eye of the World, The Wheel of Time is a horrible fantasy series, and in no way comparable to either Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'd take Wheel of Time over GRRM's poo poo pretty much any day, nervously tugs at braid'ing and all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yardbomb posted:

I'd take Wheel of Time over GRRM's poo poo pretty much any day, nervously tugs at braid'ing and all.

*Furiously digging through hundreds of pages of characters commenting on each other's/their own boobs and how they compare* "Where the gently caress is the plot! I thought the world was ending! Give me plot!

Honestly, the first two books were more or less fine, then 3-10 had time come to a standstill because of ever multiplying plotlines and boobs, then the 11th one starts picking up again, only for the author to die. loving Christ.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

I like martin and the show a bunch but he loves to put some weird/hosed up poo poo in there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

I like martin and the show a bunch but he loves to put some weird/hosed up poo poo in there.

That's actually how the books end too because he will never publish another one now that the show beat him to the ending.

Dany shits herself in a field. The end.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Martin never updated his War of the Roses fanfiction :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

That's actually how the books end too because he will never publish another one now that the show beat him to the ending.

well thats what she does in the show too basicaly. in the books she is basicaly a dumb/naive horny teen who is trying to do the righ thing. in the show, she just kinda comes off a mentaly disabled. at least she grew smarter in the newer seasons. anyway the one true king died in season 5 anyway.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 14, 2018

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Are the wheel of time books worth reading today? Im into lovely fantasy as long as it's not an obvious excuse for the author to write about whatever weird fetish poo poo they're into.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I started the first Game of Thrones book and quit like 50 pages in when I realized how much attention was being given to breasts and nipples and how they move and feel, specifically. I have never managed to work up the interest to finish it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Down The Rabbit Hole is back with an episode about one of the favorite targets of old-school SA, furries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aF2GxWi7Ag

It dives into the origins of the furry "fandom," including how intertwined it was with the early anime and indie/underground comics scenes, how furries have been there since pretty much the beginning of computer-mediated social interaction (BBSes, MUDs, the early web), and the "issues" that started when it began gaining traction and attention in the mid-late 90s (particularly regarding how sexualized the fandom should be and how the cultural "mainstream" would react to sexual/sexualized furry content).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 14, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nine-gear crow posted:

He will publish one more because he's got so many chapters left over from the previous book that he decided to cut (which also robbed several storylines of an actual climax). But it will be the last.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr.Radar posted:

Down The Rabbit Hole is back with an episode about one of the favorite targets of old-school SA, furries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aF2GxWi7Ag

It dives into the origins of the furry "fandom," including how intertwined it was with the early anime and indie/underground comics scenes, how furries have been there since pretty much the beginning of computer-mediated social interaction (BBSes, MUDs, the early web), and the "issues" that started when it began gaining traction and attention in the mid-late 90s (particularly regarding how sexualized the fandom should be and how the cultural "mainstream" would react to sexual/sexualized furry content).

One little factoid they didn't talk about was that sci-fi cons of the late 70's and through the 80's also had a definite swingers party scene going on, the main difference being that it was more heterosexual, somewhat more vanilla and people knew to keep it low-key. At least one friend of mine had parents who were part of that, and according to her they're still running given the "invite" she received at one of the old-school local cons.

Also, from people I know who ran some of the older anime conventions some had to dig their heels in *hard* to not have the anime con scene go the way of the furry con scene early on; with the popularity of anime drawing a lot of kids to the events they did not want to deal with (for lack of a better term) fetish "evangelists" trying hard to steer the convention content.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He will publish one more because he's got so many chapters left over from the previous book that he decided to cut (which also robbed several storylines of an actual climax). But it will be the last.

Funny story, GRRM didn't cut those chapter out, his he hadn't written them yet, or at least had them in a readable form or format so he publisher flat out said "give us what you have now because the show is going to premiere in a couple of months and we're publishing this with or without you." Now thanks to the show GRRM's so rich they don't have any sway over him anymore so they can't even pull another panic publish like they did with A Dance of Dragons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The fifth book was already too long (it split into two for some paperback releases, just like the 3rd), and he started releasing WoW chapters alongside the paperback release of it. Even if he dropped dead tomorrow there would be something resembling book 6 that could be released, it's just that there will never be anything after that.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

stillvisions posted:

One little factoid they didn't talk about was that sci-fi cons of the late 70's and through the 80's also had a definite swingers party scene going on, the main difference being that it was more heterosexual, somewhat more vanilla and people knew to keep it low-key. At least one friend of mine had parents who were part of that, and according to her they're still running given the "invite" she received at one of the old-school local cons.

Also, from people I know who ran some of the older anime conventions some had to dig their heels in *hard* to not have the anime con scene go the way of the furry con scene early on; with the popularity of anime drawing a lot of kids to the events they did not want to deal with (for lack of a better term) fetish "evangelists" trying hard to steer the convention content.

People joke about virgin nerds but if you don't smell, can speak to the relevant sex/gender, and go to cons, it's pretty likely you can find whatever form of strange interests you. Nerds are horny as poo poo.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

BobbyK posted:

Are the wheel of time books worth reading today? Im into lovely fantasy as long as it's not an obvious excuse for the author to write about whatever weird fetish poo poo they're into.

WoT is one of the most influential fantasy series and was an absolute juggernaut during the 90s and early 00s. Some aspects are a product of its time, and the first book gives off LotR-vibes because it was practically a requirement by publishers of the time. Jordan is good at writing action, mostly succeeding at giving a huge cast distinguishable personalities, and portraying a character who spends most of the series off their rocker (without making it obvious).

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 14, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Corvinus posted:

WoT is one of the most influential fantasy series and was an absolute juggernaut during the 90s and early 00s. Some aspects are a product of its time, and the first book gives off LotR-vibes because it was practically a requirement by publishers of the time. Jordan is good at writing action, mostly succeeding at giving a huge cast distinguishable personalities, and portraying a character who spends most of the series off their rocker (without making it obvious).

I thought Terry Brook's Shannara was said to be the big, blatant LotR clone?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Shannara is Science Fiction, completely different genre

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

The first Shannara book is blatantly a LotR clone and then it quickly starts doing its own thing, though the writing stays mediocre.

WoT starts similarly but Jordan's writing improves significantly through the series and he starts stronger than Brooks ever will be.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Though I liked the story where the Elves have to defend their home against an invading horde of demons.

To this day I'm not sure if Brooks loved Warhammer 40k so much he had to copy the Eldar's defense of Iyanden, replacing Tyranids with demons, or if the GW author of early 40k responsible for the Eldar codex loved Brook's writing a bit too much

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jordan genuinely tried to write strong female characters with agency but he had...odd...ideas about gender and relationships. It leads to his work feeling progressive and backwards simultaneously.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Again, isn't there one book in the Shannara series where the protagonist kicks a six year old girl in the teeth and it's heralded as a Good Thing because she was a brat AND a pacifist who was preventing her people from going off to die in a senseless war?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, isn't there one book in the Shannara series where the protagonist kicks a six year old girl in the teeth and it's heralded as a Good Thing because she was a brat AND a pacifist who was preventing her people from going off to die in a senseless war?

That's Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth I think. But I get them mixed up a bit too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth I think. But I get them mixed up a bit too.

Touche.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jordan genuinely tried to write strong female characters with agency but he had...odd...ideas about gender and relationships. It leads to his work feeling progressive and backwards simultaneously.

For being a white male American author in the nineties his work is actually pretty progressive, he doesn't have the really weird sex stuff of the 70's and 80's and his contemporaries were people like the sword of truth guy. Doesn't mean it's progressive nowadays but it's generally more quaint than horrific and bigoted.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

if you can't compete with piracy the free market has spoken, nintendo's just mad at capitalism

the "netflix for games" thing comes up a lot, but it's really obvious that if you do that model right it's an insane cash cow, just look at the money netflix throws around to acquire stuff, they're loaded

like imagine if nintendo had some sorta app that you could just download on everything, PCs, macs, iphones, android, and you paid a monthly fee and had access to everything they've made from nes to gamecube since that's realistically what most people can emulate, it would be loving gigantic, and pretty much the only way to actively monetise their obsoleted library beyond the pathetic VC offerings on wii u or the nes/snes minis

nintendo still operates like it's the loving 90s

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hel posted:

For being a white male American author in the nineties his work is actually pretty progressive, he doesn't have the really weird sex stuff of the 70's and 80's and his contemporaries were people like the sword of truth guy. Doesn't mean it's progressive nowadays but it's generally more quaint than horrific and bigoted.

didn't one of the main characters have a four way marriage with three women, only one of whom he actually spent more than a couple of days with? and then they mind linked so whenever he has sex with one, all three can feel it?

the other two main characters also had really weird marriages but at least they actually worked on their relationships and tried to be better spouses

cat doter posted:

if you can't compete with piracy the free market has spoken, nintendo's just mad at capitalism

the "netflix for games" thing comes up a lot, but it's really obvious that if you do that model right it's an insane cash cow, just look at the money netflix throws around to acquire stuff, they're loaded

like imagine if nintendo had some sorta app that you could just download on everything, PCs, macs, iphones, android, and you paid a monthly fee and had access to everything they've made from nes to gamecube since that's realistically what most people can emulate, it would be loving gigantic, and pretty much the only way to actively monetise their obsoleted library beyond the pathetic VC offerings on wii u or the nes/snes minis

nintendo still operates like it's the loving 90s

I imagine part of the problem is that movie studios have licensing poo poo on lockdown, while game companies are a lot more of a mess.

If you're Netflix and you want to stream Star Wars, you go to Disney who own the license, negotiate who gets what, then load the mp4 onto the servers.

If you're Netgames and you want to stream Super Star Wars, you'll need to negotiate between (looks at Wiki) Sculptured Software, LucasArts, Code Mystics, JVC Musical Industries, Nintendo of America, and Disney Interactive Studios, plus a separate license to get a SNES emulator, which will need to be bug tested to know that it doesn't crash whatever console it's streaming towards so now you need to hire a QA studio so it can actually be allowed on the service.

Honestly speaking, Good Old Games is probably the closest we've gotten to a stream service thus far, and they still charge for each game cause the workload just to get one game working is too much to guarantee continual releases, which is what a streaming service really needs to stay afloat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
We had Gametap attempt it. It didn't work out.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Funnily enough, a game streaming service called Antstream is on its way in a few months time hopefully. But licenses...drat. They're looking to launch with a few hundred games (+ more in reserve) and it's taken them over 4 years to get to that point in terms of licensing alone.

I'm hoping they succeed because they're good dudes (I've had an opportunity to play a demo and was very pleasantly surprised by it) but yeah, must have been the lord's work just to get all those games on board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kim Justice posted:

Funnily enough, a game streaming service called Antstream is on its way in a few months time hopefully. But licenses...drat. They're looking to launch with a few hundred games (+ more in reserve) and it's taken them over 4 years to get to that point in terms of licensing alone.

I'm hoping they succeed because they're good dudes (I've had an opportunity to play a demo and was very pleasantly surprised by it) but yeah, must have been the lord's work just to get all those games on board.

As mean as it sounds, they're almost certainly not going to succeed. Streamed gaming has a whole lot of logistical and network issues that simply can't be worked around in most of the world right now. There's a reason Sony doesn't push PS Now all that hard beyond reminding people it exists every so often, and the only real reason it's probably even still around is because it's costing them relatively nothing sitting on their own cloud services.

And to be perfectly fair, it's doable in some places that're fibred up six ways to Sunday, but the kind of upkeep and profit you need to be sustainable just isn't going to be there. Especially when they're going to need to pay licensing fees on top of everything else.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New video from Raycevick about how video game publishers react to (and maybe abuse) audience apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPpWbH7ATBA

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 14, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

We had Gametap attempt it. It didn't work out.

man, that was the poo poo when I was a kid. so much time playing Metal Slug... lost in the rain... :smith:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim Sterling didn't like We Happy Few.

The thing is, I'm not too surprised it was released in that state.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dmboogie posted:

man, that was the poo poo when I was a kid. so much time playing Metal Slug... lost in the rain... :smith:

at this point i only remember them for being the first platform for Telltale's Sam & Max and facilitating online arcade game multiplayer before Fightcade was a thing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As mean as it sounds, they're almost certainly not going to succeed. Streamed gaming has a whole lot of logistical and network issues that simply can't be worked around in most of the world right now. There's a reason Sony doesn't push PS Now all that hard beyond reminding people it exists every so often, and the only real reason it's probably even still around is because it's costing them relatively nothing sitting on their own cloud services.

And to be perfectly fair, it's doable in some places that're fibred up six ways to Sunday, but the kind of upkeep and profit you need to be sustainable just isn't going to be there. Especially when they're going to need to pay licensing fees on top of everything else.

It's gonna be tricky yeah. When I played it I was surprised about the lack of lag, especially as retro games tend to make that more noticeable (there was one moment when things went a little haywire, mind - although that did also show there weren't any smoke and mirrors going on in the demo).

I didn't make it too clear that these guys are concentrating on retro games too - with perhaps indie games coming down the line (so far it's a fair amount of UK/Europe-based stuff, SNK and Data East are definitely in though - so if you wanna stream up some Metal Slug then that'll be a thing). It's not an AAA-games service. I certainly wish them the best in any case - a "Netflix for video games" is something I'd like to see succeed.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Surely streaming of retro games would be much easier than what most companies are trying to do what with streaming modern games through hardware proxies.

Like, cartridge games could probably have their entire game data loaded locally pretty much in a minute or two without needing streaming hardware, and I imagine CD and maybe DVD games could work in a similar fashion considering they load data on demand rather than constantly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disproportionation posted:

Surely streaming of retro games would be much easier than what most companies are trying to do what with streaming modern games through hardware proxies.

Like, cartridge games could probably have their entire game data loaded locally pretty much in a minute or two without needing streaming hardware, and I imagine CD and maybe DVD games could work in a similar fashion considering they load data on demand rather than constantly.

The entire point of streaming games is that you don't need the end device to run the game, either for performance or DRM reasons. Sure, the internet Archive let's you run DOS games in a browser but they are explicitly doing it for games conservation reasons, something companies like Nintendo are very much against.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rudecyrus posted:

Jim Sterling didn't like We Happy Few.

The thing is, I'm not too surprised it was released in that state.

A game published by Gearbox rushed out the door in a half-assed state? Quel Surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Hel posted:

The entire point of streaming games is that you don't need the end device to run the game, either for performance or DRM reasons. Sure, the internet Archive let's you run DOS games in a browser but they are explicitly doing it for games conservation reasons, something companies like Nintendo are very much against.

I'm not sure if that's the point of all games streaming, and I don't think it should necessarily be the major selling point at least for a retro/indie streaming platform - people don't stream other media because they don't have a dvd player, they do it for the convenience of accessing a big library of stuff for cheap.

Streaming game data only and playing on local hardware is totally doable and has existed at least since the 1990s (in limited format), almost everything can run a SNES or a MD emulator, and there's especially no reason that a streaming library like that couldn't work on a console like the Switch.

It's not something that'd work with modern 40GB+ games certainly but it makes the most sense to run locally for at least up to PS1 era games.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 14, 2018