Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is the alternative to teflon for non-stick skillets?

I have a ceramic pan, but it feels like the non-stick has worn off after a year of use. Should I just get a higher quality ceramic pan?

e: and I do have cast iron, which has some non-sick qualities, but it is no where near what teflon is.

Nothing is anywhere near Teflon. For me it goes Teflon > well-seasoned cast iron > new ceramic > stainless with a poo poo ton of butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I got a set of All Clad anodized aluminum pans off Amazon for Prime Day and they've been great so far.

Ceramic sucks, either toss some bones at anodized pans or just replace a cheap teflon pan every year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lawnie posted:

My San Marzano’s have ripened off the vine, yours may too?

Gonna wrap them in newspaper and a bunch of them will (hopefully) ripen, but I think they're going to keep producing so not sure if they'll all be developed enough for that.

Also, I've got a butt-load of green tomatoes and I'm too impatient to wait to do something with them if there's something I can do now.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 12, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

replace a cheap teflon pan every year.

This is all I do now.

I use the cast iron for sears and stuff but I rotate out a <$30 teflon pan for eggs and poo poo every year or two.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's starting to be hatch chile season, and I'm thinking this year of getting a whole bunch to keep in the freezer. I've never really stored roasted peppers before; is it better to peel them before freezing or just leave the skins on and peel after I thaw later?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Outrail posted:

Against all odds my garden is going to produce a shitton of roma tomatoes, but it's very unlikely they'll all (or any) ripen before first frost. Beyond frying them up has anyone done anything preservation wise with green romas before that tastes good? I'm thinking some sort of slow cooker tomato sauce/ketchup/relish or something but trying to get some long slow cooking flavors from an unripe vegetable sounds really dumb.

Pickle them! It's really tasty and they go great on sandwiches.

Tendales posted:

It's starting to be hatch chile season, and I'm thinking this year of getting a whole bunch to keep in the freezer. I've never really stored roasted peppers before; is it better to peel them before freezing or just leave the skins on and peel after I thaw later?

Optionally roast and always peel peppers before freezing. I mince them and then freeze flat so I can use any amount I want later.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: ^^^^ Sure. Might start doing it this way just because pre-mincing them makes it easier later.

Tendales posted:

I don't know if one method is better than another, but I buy a poo poo ton every year and freeze them skin on, then peel them after I thaw them before use. They're still awesome.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Well, I probably won't pre-mince, just because my favorite use for hatch chiles is chile rellenos. But I'm going to take the split opinion on whether to peel before freezing or not as 'it doesn't matter that much either way so don't worry about it.' Thanks!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is the alternative to teflon for non-stick skillets?

I have a ceramic pan, but it feels like the non-stick has worn off after a year of use. Should I just get a higher quality ceramic pan?

e: and I do have cast iron, which has some non-sick qualities, but it is no where near what teflon is.

I have an cast aluminum pan with a "Titanium II ceramic" coating. It is amazing but also made in Germany by a company called Harecker, and they don't sell abroad I think.
It is 5 years old and still non stick and undamaged.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Outrail posted:

Also, I've got a butt-load of green tomatoes and I'm too impatient to wait to do something with them if there's something I can do now.

My wife says they can replace tomatillos decently. We're putting that to the test with chicken pozole this week, I'll let you know!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Another gardening question!

I think I know where my daughter got her green-fingered ability to grow seven peas. I have a chilli plant in my garden, and it has produced one chilli. One measly chilli. After months of careful tending, this is probably the most labour intense chilli ever made.

I want to eat it, but I don’t know what to do with it. Shoving it into something else to make that a spicy food seems like something I could do with a regular shop-bought chilli. What can I do with this precious one that will make it all worth it?

No, I don’t know what type of chilli it is. It’s long and green.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As you don't know how strong it is the best thing is just to eat it on camera :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AnonSpore posted:

I always thought food processor was the easier but worse method of getting dough together compared to the traditional mix well with fingertips/fork deal

I tried a nice rustic pasta method and it came out fine enough. Then I tried an easy peasy food processor method and it came out just as good or better. Food processor is my go-to, now.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 13, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Another gardening question!

I think I know where my daughter got her green-fingered ability to grow seven peas. I have a chilli plant in my garden, and it has produced one chilli. One measly chilli. After months of careful tending, this is probably the most labour intense chilli ever made.

I want to eat it, but I don’t know what to do with it. Shoving it into something else to make that a spicy food seems like something I could do with a regular shop-bought chilli. What can I do with this precious one that will make it all worth it?

No, I don’t know what type of chilli it is. It’s long and green.

I grew exactly one scotch bonnet this year. A single, lovely, perfect pepper. I tossed it into a batch of pickled carrots and now I have one single, lovely, perfect pickled scotch bonnet plus a jar of mild pickled carrots. Do that. Pickle the perfect pepper.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I just made a shitload of feta! Once it's done brining, curing and aging I want to cut a bunch into chunks and put into bottles of oil with herbs/spices from the garden. Has anyone done this themselves? Any recommendations on good oils that are not solid at fridge temps?

I was planning to mix up the herbs and stuff, then heat it up to 150ish for an hour to sterilize them, then do a batch of garlic confit and toss one clove per jar in to not be overpoweringly garlicky.

Any thoughts?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think the canon answer here is "have fun with your jar of botulism cheese" ...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cakesmith handyman posted:

As you don't know how strong it is the best thing is just to eat it on camera :v:

Agreed. Scientastic, was it you that ate the Bhut Jolokia straight at my prompting many years ago? I forget who did it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I rendered a shitload of suet into tallow and I am not happy with the results. I used a slow cooker and added some water and let it go for many many hours, 10 hours or so on low. Then I strained it through a cheese cloth. Unfortunately it has a distinct smell/odor that I cannot get over. I made french fries since I read making fries in tallow was gods gift to men but while it was crunchy and good like any fry it had that horrible aftertaste or odor lingering on the fries... I do not like this. I don't think it smells or tastes like beef either.

The tallow was yellowish and most likely it's from a grass fed dairy cow.

Is there anything I can do to deodorize it?

I tried adding more water, baking soda and vinegar and reheating it (to ~90C) since I read that online that it should work, but it smells the same still. Most stuff I find googling is about soap making and I don't think those procedures, like adding bleach is intended to keep it edible... Really disappointed if I went through all this effort for something that makes food taste like poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Manuel Calavera posted:

Agreed. Scientastic, was it you that ate the Bhut Jolokia straight at my prompting many years ago? I forget who did it.

Unless I blacked out and got a severe blow to the head, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hopper posted:

I think the canon answer here is "have fun with your jar of botulism cheese" ...

Would cooking the garlic separately, to a higher temp as confit not remove the fears of botulism?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I rendered a shitload of suet into tallow and I am not happy with the results. I used a slow cooker and added some water and let it go for many many hours, 10 hours or so on low. Then I strained it through a cheese cloth. Unfortunately it has a distinct smell/odor that I cannot get over. I made french fries since I read making fries in tallow was gods gift to men but while it was crunchy and good like any fry it had that horrible aftertaste or odor lingering on the fries... I do not like this. I don't think it smells or tastes like beef either.

The tallow was yellowish and most likely it's from a grass fed dairy cow.

Is there anything I can do to deodorize it?

I tried adding more water, baking soda and vinegar and reheating it (to ~90C) since I read that online that it should work, but it smells the same still. Most stuff I find googling is about soap making and I don't think those procedures, like adding bleach is intended to keep it edible... Really disappointed if I went through all this effort for something that makes food taste like poo poo.

Do you know what part of the cow the fat was from? That can make a huge difference.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
as far as I know it was supposed to be suet from around the internal organs

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What's the general opinion on air fryers? Are they appropriate to fry up big bulky things like katsu in them?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Holy poo poo forum search actually did something

it appears there is an air fryer thread

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions on an app that can keep track of my spice rack? I've been annoyingly buying duplicates of spices that I already have.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BrianBoitano posted:

Holy poo poo forum search actually did something

it appears there is an air fryer thread

I guess 11 posts constitutes a "thread" :D

But seems general consensus is that it does its job but takes a long time and a lot of kitchen space.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions on an app that can keep track of my spice rack? I've been annoyingly buying duplicates of spices that I already have.
...notes?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah I know that is available, but I was hoping for something more elegant.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I had a huge habanero crop this year and am going to steal an idea from the dinner thread and make habanero anchovy compound butter. Should I toast these rascals or just mince 'em up with the anchovies and throw 'em in there?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Unless I blacked out and got a severe blow to the head, Im pretty sure it wasnt me.

...I think it may have been Gourd of Taste/Lord of Space? Is he still around even?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

obi_ant posted:

Yeah I know that is available, but I was hoping for something more elegant.

Paprika has a pantry section. Can put in expiration dates and stuff as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What other dairy items (sour cream?) can be used for a chicken marinade or sauce or whatever like yogurt does in Indian or Arabic dishes??

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

obi_ant posted:

cryptoclastic posted:

Paprika has a pantry section. Can put in expiration dates and stuff as well.

I'd take photos of your spice rack every now and again, and go by that. That's what I do for liquors. Requires 3-4 photos which is hella faster than typing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make a list of things to buy and if a spice isn't on the list I don't buy it. It works for other things too. It integrates with OneNote too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

What other dairy items (sour cream?) can be used for a chicken marinade or sauce or whatever like yogurt does in Indian or Arabic dishes??

paprikash is good yes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Make a checklist in Keep of the spices you have, strike them off when they're used up?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Buttermilk is good for marinating chicken in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I had a huge habanero crop this year and am going to steal an idea from the dinner thread and make habanero anchovy compound butter. Should I toast these rascals or just mince 'em up with the anchovies and throw 'em in there?

I'd toast, the skin probably won't be the texture you want for butter.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I was at a korean restaurant on travel yesterday, and they served this amazing spicy/savory chili paste with my gimbap.

It was so good, I asked the owner what it was called, intending to go to the big international market next door and buy some. Unfortunately, she spoke less english than I realized, and thought I was asking if she got the stuff from the store (she doesn't, its made in-house).

Luckily she also SELLS the stuff, so I bought a tub of it.

My question is, when my tub of delicious chili paste (which is very thick, about the consistency of hummus) runs out, what do I plug into Google/Amazon to buy more?

Pic of the sauce below:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That would be gochujang my dude