Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

After The War posted:

Regardless of anything else, JNT's first and last seasons are some of my favorite Who eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I am amused by the fact that ever since BF started, people asked them to do novel adaptations (some wanted them to do them in lieu of original stories), and when they finally do them, they don't sell well enough to continue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF to adapt 2 DWM classic comics: The Iron Legion and The Star Beast. Meep-Meep!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/more-fourth-and-seventh-doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

BF to adapt 2 DWM classic comics: The Iron Legion and The Star Beast. Meep-Meep!

Ohh, I've always liked the Iron Legion as a story. Every time they published it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh, I've always liked the Iron Legion as a story. Every time they published it.

I have SO much copies of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yesssss

https://twitter.com/DWComicArt/status/1028844032984842246

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't listened to much Big Finish, but she's loving great in it. I love her impression of 11 in Destiny of the Doctor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

After The War posted:

It doesn't work on male politicians. :smith:

low energy jeb

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm working through the novels they got established SF authors to write and so far

The Harvest of Time by Alistair Reynolds was pretty unmemorable in a way I never find his own works.

The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter was ace and really captured the feel of the Second Doctor period.

The Coming of the Terraphiles by Michael Moorcock is... definitely by Michael Moorcock. I'm about 3 chapters in and so far it's turned from classic Moorcock purple prose and weirdness into a kind of Wodehouse pastiche. I want to see where it goes but it's kind of exhausting.

I definitely recommend The Wheel of Ice. I can't figure out who else they got involved other than Dan Abnett so if anyone knows please let me know.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

JN-T was well and truly into the "I have been persuaded to stay..." period by then, in which nobody else wanted to do his job, and if he left it would have meant cancellation, as in fact it did when his patience finally ran out.

Not to mention they made it clear HE wouldn't get any work in TV ever again, so yeah, JNT should have virtuously made himself unemployed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

EdBlackadder posted:

The Coming of the Terraphiles by Michael Moorcock is... definitely by Michael Moorcock.

I read most of it a few years back and...yeah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BadWilf/status/1029070451404951558

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahahaha, that's awesome.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh my god I’m choking I’m laughing so hard. :laffo:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Plot twist: they’re not even his grandchildren. Sparacus just kidnapped his next-door neighbour’s kids and sent them to Peter after they refused to reenact the Ben Chatham Adventures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Plot twist: they’re not even his grandchildren. Sparacus just kidnapped his next-door neighbour’s kids and sent them to Peter after they refused to reenact the Ben Chatham Adventures.

Unsubstantiated assertion!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Differences in opinion.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Differences in opinion.

I hope that chair has a nice cushion. You know how Sutekh is about his cushions

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

I hope that chair has a nice cushion. You know how Sutekh is about his cushions

(That's Omega)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

(That's Omega)

Oops, so it is :blush:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Differences in opinion.

The War Doctor takes on Time's most nefarious foe...bureaucracy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

:peanut:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Probably not news to anyone else here in the Doctor Who thread, but watching the modern series made me curious about checking out the old show, so I jumped right into An Unearthly Child, and I was pretty drat impressed. The caveman story was pretty meh but I was actually pretty surprised at how many elements were right there from the very beginning. Contrast that with something like Star Trek, where the later revisions added a lot more and outright retconned a bunch of stuff to make things fit together better. I mean, for all I know stuff like that happens with Doctor Who also but I mean, right off the bat you have the TARDIS, the sonic (though I don't think it was named at all in the first serial), bigger on the inside, companions, and honestly, as gruff and weird as the first doctor seems, he didn't really seem out of character at all.

I don't know if I have the fortitude to watch everything that's available but I'm definitely stoked to check out first appearances of iconic Who villains like the Daleks and the Cybermen. I was a little saddened to hear that the episode with the first regeneration is one of the lost episodes, but apparently there is footage of that still around somewhere?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Probably not news to anyone else here in the Doctor Who thread, but watching the modern series made me curious about checking out the old show, so I jumped right into An Unearthly Child, and I was pretty drat impressed. The caveman story was pretty meh but I was actually pretty surprised at how many elements were right there from the very beginning. Contrast that with something like Star Trek, where the later revisions added a lot more and outright retconned a bunch of stuff to make things fit together better. I mean, for all I know stuff like that happens with Doctor Who also but I mean, right off the bat you have the TARDIS, the sonic (though I don't think it was named at all in the first serial), bigger on the inside, companions, and honestly, as gruff and weird as the first doctor seems, he didn't really seem out of character at all.

I don't know if I have the fortitude to watch everything that's available but I'm definitely stoked to check out first appearances of iconic Who villains like the Daleks and the Cybermen. I was a little saddened to hear that the episode with the first regeneration is one of the lost episodes, but apparently there is footage of that still around somewhere?

The regeneration itself has been saved thanks to archival footage, but the episode was lost. You can watch it animated though.

The Daleks is more in line with An Unearthly Child in quality and just ramps up everything. It's quite a good serial.

Dalek Invasion of Earth is a touch long, but it's also REALLY good 1960s scifi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrNutt posted:

the sonic (though I don't think it was named at all in the first serial),

There was no sonic until Season 5? What did you think was the sonic?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The ring maybe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Davros1 posted:

There was no sonic until Season 5? What did you think was the sonic?

Huh, I could have sworn he at one point was doing some sort of scan of something and it looked like he was holding a pen-shaped object and I just assumed it was a sonic screwdriver.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DrNutt posted:

Huh, I could have sworn he at one point was doing some sort of scan of something and it looked like he was holding a pen-shaped object and I just assumed it was a sonic screwdriver.

1 has a tendency to just poke things and look closely and go "hm hm yes yes."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a thread consensus about which episodes you should watch...

:kheldragar:

Robots of Death

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean at the very least I will probably try to watch as much as I can while I have a free britbox trial going on but if nothing else it was very cool to see the absolute first and realize they had so much right from the very beginning.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I do stand by my suggestion of watching all the Dalek episodes, at least from "Genesis" on. They tend to encapsulate a lot of what's best and worst about each era.

(Don't worry, they were a lot less frequent in Classic Who! Doctors 5-7 only had one Dalek serial each.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

After The War posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a thread consensus about which episodes you should watch...

:kheldragar:

Robots of Death

City of Death! City of Death!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

After The War posted:

I do stand by my suggestion of watching all the Dalek episodes, at least from "Genesis" on. They tend to encapsulate a lot of what's best and worst about each era.

(Don't worry, they were a lot less frequent in Classic Who! Doctors 5-7 only had one Dalek serial each.)

There have been carefully put together lists of episodes at the beginning of each thread as far as I can remember and while it wouldn't be as bad as suggesting someone watch all the Cyberman episodes, the Dalek episodes are in general far from the best each run has to offer. Worse, they have a habit of being tonally off from the rest of a given Doctors run. Take Genesis for example, I would say it is absolutely the most serious you will ever see Tom Baker in the role, and it is worth it for that, but it kind of feels off for him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Heh heh, there eh, can't be anything in old Who worse than Aliens of London, right? Right!?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Heh heh, there eh, can't be anything in old Who worse than Aliens of London, right? Right!?

Honestly, no.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, no.

That's actually pretty reassuring. I still can't believe they used two episodes for that concept.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

For better and worse, bad classic Doctor Who is generally dull and draggy rather than idiotic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What about the Twin Dilemma?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I said generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does the Doctor having a granddaughter ever get explored further? It would seem to imply that he's had a wife and children also, and we did see lots of kids on Gallifrey during the 50th Anniversary. But of course the Doctor's Daughter makes it seem like he's never been a parent until then so :shrug: . I get that maintaining "canon" over fifty years of continuity is bound to be fruitless but it could certainly have some ramifications (especially if they ever decide to bring a regenerated version of her back at some point).

• Locked thread