Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Microsoft’s Game Pass has you actually download the games, not stream them. It’s not the best service mostly because Microsoft’s library of exclusives isn’t that good, but that should be something Nintendo takes notes on. With Nintendo’s huge library of exclusive titles built up over the years, offering that kinda service up at a reasonable price on the Switch would be a huge boon for the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

A game published by Gearbox rushed out the door in a half-assed state? Quel Surprise!

it was in early access for like 2 to 3 years, i backed in in kickstarter. the PC version works well enough though. gently caress gearbox, bunch of unfunny fuckbags. sterling's review is alright. overly harsh though not wrong and the whole thing about "the game mocks depressing medication" is kinda bad because they game doesn't at all. its more about people who are complicit in horrible poo poo looking for ways to forget the responsibility and such. i get where he comes from as someone who has to take those meds(as do I) but i don't see it i guess. either way, its sad. i was hoping this game would be a classic at least cult classic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's pretty much what the author came out and said the game's about on Twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

thats loving sad and dumb of them. because the game never really shows that. what sucks is the games story/setting is really good/interesting. By the time they finish patching this game to where it's decently playable, it's going to be dirt cheap to buy on any platform.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dabir posted:

I mean got a tweet or something?

Cause without the context, there's a big difference between "The game's about a disastrous society that have pilled up to the extreme" and "Fukken antidepressants are messin with our brains and vaccines cause autism" type stuff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disproportionation posted:

I'm not sure if that's the point of all games streaming, and I don't think it should necessarily be the major selling point at least for a retro/indie streaming platform - people don't stream other media because they don't have a dvd player, they do it for the convenience of accessing a big library of stuff for cheap.

Streaming game data only and playing on local hardware is totally doable and has existed at least since the 1990s (in limited format), almost everything can run a SNES or a MD emulator, and there's especially no reason that a streaming library like that couldn't work on a console like the Switch.

It's not something that'd work with modern 40GB+ games certainly but it makes the most sense to run locally for at least up to PS1 era games.

When you are talking about streaming the game data, are you talking about starting every session by downloading the game? Because why not just let you keep the data and put a DRM launcher around it like steam and skip the streaming step completely, sure it's a tiny download for the end user but it would build up unnecessarily for the provider, it works for film and tv since you are rarely needing the same data twice.

Honestly the streaming of gamedata would work a lot better for bigger linear games( I think it works like that on some consoles) since it means that the player can start playing earlier and when they give up before getting to the ending they haven't needed to download all of the game. It would also be quite a lot less than the install data since you only need one texture quality level and one language for all the dialogue which amounts to most of the data anyway.

Also while the viewers don't watch streamed movies because they don't have a DVD/DB drive, for the companies it's attractive because it mean they can only watch it when they say ok and copying is harder.

Fake edit: Didn't Remedy's last game have you stream live action video from their servers instead of cutscenes? How did that pan out for they legitimate players? I know the pirate version had local videos and thus was the superior version.

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Cause without the context, there's a big difference between "The game's about a disastrous society that have pilled up to the extreme" and "Fukken antidepressants are messin with our brains and vaccines cause autism" type stuff.

This I think was the tweet that caught everyone's attention:
https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1027710721252057090

Doing a search, it's a quote from this article from 2016: [https://web.archive.org/web/2016081...rie-1960s-twist]

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

ok i guess ill spoil the game somewhat(the big bad thing you learn about in the first hour of the game but the game gets a ton more indepth with it and i am not gonna spoil the character stories. basicaly the germans(its implied july 20th plot happend and the nazis got knocked out of power but the Germans kept the war going) took over england and "Very Bad Thing" is revealed to have been the willing choice of the population to turn over all children 13 years and younger to the Germans in exchange for their freedom, but the germans leave a tank battalion to enforce cooperation, the germans lose to the soviets and england is never "liberated" but the higher up collaborators declare victor anyway, they also realize the tanks were fake and they could have risen up and won. they basically invent joy erase the past and rewrite their brains to only feel happiness and show only happy poo poo. the whole society is slowly crumbling infastruture wise and the citizens have basicaly become hosed up children.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Looking through the tweets, the guy himself with the statement replied

https://twitter.com/CraftyScreen/status/1028380000079282178

And I mean, I feel like his original statement can be read really uncharitably but it didn't jump out to me as a "Antidepressants are BAD!" thing the way it apparently did for the OP there anyway, it came off more like condemning "Why confront bad things if you can just pop a pill?" and the game itself obviously goes entirely into that camp, the english surrendered to the capital N - Nazis and did Some Bad poo poo to appease them when people resisted, I'm not sure how that twitter person strung out all the stuff they did.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

the thread posted:

game streaming

Streaming services are still something that I'm not cool with. GOG said recently that streaming is just another form of DRM. It also goes back to that issue where if you don't have a reliable internet connection, there's going to be issues.

But more than that, I don't really like the notion of paying a monthly fee. If you only want to play a couple of games that a service offers, I'd rather pay to directly download it and play it at my discretion. I suppose, though, that it's dependent on what games are offered, but it still doesn't seem ideal.

It still doesn't address the other issue of games that lost in legal limbo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

This I think was the tweet that caught everyone's attention:
https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1027710721252057090

Doing a search, it's a quote from this article from 2016: [https://web.archive.org/web/2016081...rie-1960s-twist]

reading that, it doesn't sound like its mocking anxiety/depression meds or even reality. they are talking about their society where their game where the meds basicaly Super LSD that rewrights your brain to see only GOOD/positive things.

https://twitter.com/CraftyScreen/status/1029097361220554752

https://twitter.com/CraftyScreen/status/1029098116379811840

https://twitter.com/CraftyScreen/status/1028378363818377216

also the writer explained it in the comments and apologized. people will still drag him through the mud though. fun times.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 14, 2018

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Hel posted:

When you are talking about streaming the game data, are you talking about starting every session by downloading the game? Because why not just let you keep the data and put a DRM launcher around it like steam and skip the streaming step completely, sure it's a tiny download for the end user but it would build up unnecessarily for the provider, it works for film and tv since you are rarely needing the same data twice.

Honestly the streaming of gamedata would work a lot better for bigger linear games( I think it works like that on some consoles) since it means that the player can start playing earlier and when they give up before getting to the ending they haven't needed to download all of the game. It would also be quite a lot less than the install data since you only need one texture quality level and one language for all the dialogue which amounts to most of the data anyway.

It could certainly work like that, yes - it'd depend on local storage, storing the last few played games in a temporary cache or something could work as a good halfway as well.

And yes, I think games could be streamed more effectively than video even, if the "chunks" of data are large enough, if it's possible of course.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 14, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Looking through the tweets, the guy himself with the statement replied

And I mean, I feel like his original statement can be read really uncharitably but it didn't jump out to me as a "Antidepressants are BAD!" thing the way it apparently did for the OP there anyway, it came off more like condemning "Why confront bad things if you can just pop a pill?" and the game itself obviously goes entirely into that camp, the english surrendered to the capital N - Nazis and did Some Bad poo poo to appease them when people resisted, I'm not sure how that twitter person strung out all the stuff they did.

because she is a twitter indie pixel art dev who gets super invested in twitter stuff/critiques and then goes overbord. they do that sometimes. sometimes its good, sometimes its dumb. at least she didn't attack the dude.

also its not the nazis. i have no idea why, probably because it would be even darker then it already is. the game is weird with its world building.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 14, 2018

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"As a culture, we no longer value sadness" ain't really making me want to be as charitable as y'all

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lessail posted:

"As a culture, we no longer value sadness" ain't really making me want to be as charitable as y'all

I mean you can take that in a pretty productive way even, the internet and so many personalities push so much faux-positivity that it feels almost saccharine gross at times, that or who hasn't seen "NO POLITICS EVER" stuff on chatrooms, forums and so on, who hasn't heard truth-is-in-the-middle'ism bullshit from people who refuse to acknowledge things are wrong and need changing? Honestly one of the reasons we're in the flaming dumpster situation we have now was/is people burying their heads in the sand, it's easier to be complicit in abusive systems and ignore struggles until the actual jackboots come out like they have again, sure people are mad now and pushing for plenty of good things, DSA is being recognized whatsoever, antifascists have become 'A Thing' here, but as a person who's frequently targeted by nearly any given side (Weee existing while trans) what scares me real good is what happens when the next evil suit steps up and isn't as universally fashionable to rage against, are people gonna keep their teeth, keep pushing for real systemic change? Or am I gonna have to listen to middle class stooges cheer "WE DID IT, THINGS ARE MARGINALLY BETTER" while the next administration stomps people like me into the pavement again until the next cheeto benito happens.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, it's basically "humanity tends to want to shroud themselves with entertainment and happy thoughts instead of dealing with real issues because it's more convenient for them."

The shroud is in pill form, which is as convenient as you can get. The people in WHF aren't clinically depressed or suffering from pain; they just don't want to see the world as ugly as it really is and turn their senses into filters of a better world, rather than going out and actually making one.

That being said, the writer could've been more clear with his message from the start.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
looking at that video, it sounds like the message was way down on the list of things that needed work on that particular game that they are charging sixty bucks for

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

looking at that video, it sounds like the message was way down on the list of things that needed work on that particular game that they are charging sixty bucks for

oh yeah definitely. it needs a ton of patches/updates before its worth buying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The metaphor itself doesn't seem bad. If it weren't for the connotations with happy pills it would probably not have flared up as much

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it seems like that argument's still feeding into the opiate panic, which has been hell on folks suffering from chronic pain who need the treatment they're being stonewalled from to survive

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mr.Radar posted:

Down The Rabbit Hole is back with an episode about one of the favorite targets of old-school SA, furries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aF2GxWi7Ag

It dives into the origins of the furry "fandom," including how intertwined it was with the early anime and indie/underground comics scenes, how furries have been there since pretty much the beginning of computer-mediated social interaction (BBSes, MUDs, the early web), and the "issues" that started when it began gaining traction and attention in the mid-late 90s (particularly regarding how sexualized the fandom should be and how the cultural "mainstream" would react to sexual/sexualized furry content).

I've been following a lot more furries on twitter. A lot of them are hardcore Antifa types or are super knowledgeable about certain aspects of toxic fandoms or why certain companies act the way they do. They are mostly younger but according to a lot of them a lot of the hate int he furry fandom does seem to come from repackaged homophobia, and...well given the popular insult was Furfag for a while. Yeah, I believe that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CYBEReris posted:

it seems like that argument's still feeding into the opiate panic, which has been hell on folks suffering from chronic pain who need the treatment they're being stonewalled from to survive

yea hey, ex addict for that poo poo here, that's still a real bad answer just in way different ways.

"No no we weren't saying people on antidepressants are hiding from reality and becoming easy prey for a fascist government, we were saying people addicted to opiates are". Even using the WW2 era medicine aspect of it doesn't work because those dudes weren't hiding from reality they were basically just being made comfortable while they were likely about to die in a time before PTSD was an understood concept and medical prognosis was still kinda 'pft I dunno man hope that the infection isn't too bad?'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been following a lot more furries on twitter. A lot of them are hardcore Antifa types or are super knowledgeable about certain aspects of toxic fandoms or why certain companies act the way they do. They are mostly younger but according to a lot of them a lot of the hate int he furry fandom does seem to come from repackaged homophobia, and...well given the popular insult was Furfag for a while. Yeah, I believe that.

Not that I think you're wrong, but it's a 4chan term, everything's ___fag there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/CraftyScreen/status/1028378363818377216
also the writer explained it in the comments and apologized. people will still drag him through the mud though. fun times.
I'm the guy saying that a facist[sic] government forcing hallucinogens onto it's populace order to keep them docile sounds cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's a weird reaction to that. Like, it's a neat, if very already explored, idea but 'so loving cool!' is...weird

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
New Defunctland on Club Disney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbBGwXb9Zs
Man I got some big nostalgia when I saw that Discovery Zone commercial, I remember how bummed I was when our's got robbed and they had to close down (that or it went bankrupt)

BigRed0427 posted:

The hatred against furries just seems so lame, so some of them have a weird kink? Who cares?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think its more of the life style stuff, such as raising children to believe they're actually a spirit animal, or showing up to job interviews in fursuits or "fronting" at customers by growling at them and talking about being oppressed when they get fired for it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Leal posted:

I think its more of the life style stuff, such as raising children to believe they're actually a spirit animal, or showing up to job interviews in fursuits or "fronting" at customers by growling at them and talking about being oppressed when they get fired for it.

I think most of that is otherkin, which is a different (and more disturbing) subculture.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Leal posted:

gently caress you i'm a dragon

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the furry hate stuff (on SA anyway) was fuelled by a couple of things:

-There was a loud minority of furries that would complain about oppression and directly compare hating on furries to racism or homophobia. I don't mean to say this justified the level of hate they got, because people would absolutely seek out and cherry pick examples of this the way people look for ~tumblrina feminazis~ today.

-They were one of the earliest and most visible internet groups of people displaying a "weird" alternate lifestyle that was anywhere near public awareness. Furry hate was at its peak (again, on SA ) way back before there were bronies, obnoxious turbofans of stuff like MSPA and Undertale, Actual Literal Nazis and white supremacists on the white house, etc

-People were still relatively sheltered in terms of deviancy to the point where loving someone in a fursuit seemed 'out there'. Like I think the only time I heard about poo poo like vore back then was from Awful Link of the Day, whereas nowadays it's a relatively common thing to joke about on twitter etc.

I also think that furries themselves have mellowed slightly and are more likely to be someone who has a cartoon fox avatar but doesn't write poo poo like *raises paw*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

gently caress you i'm a dragon

Consider yourself lucky, as I used to be Dragonborn.

But then I took an arrow to the knee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

Consider yourself lucky, as I used to be Dragonborn.

But then I took an arrow to the knee.

I still don't get who thought "we need some weird half-human half-dragon hybrid in the basic system".

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

The hatred against furries just seems so lame, so some of them have a weird kink? Who cares?

I don't know man, a lot of them are kinda stunted. I had to purge some of my follows on twitter because of relentlessly retweeting lewd furry art. I don't want to see 7 pics of your green big titty wolf girl oc, your 26, your too old to have an oc, make a loving comic.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My seventh least favourite thing on SA is whenever someone would post a game or comic with anthropomorphic animals in it and likely a couple goons would post about the panic attack they just had looking at a fox or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I still don't get who thought "we need some weird half-human half-dragon hybrid in the basic system".

someone who was fuckin done with gnomes

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ApeHawk posted:

That being said, the writer could've been more clear with his message from the start.

If in the original quote he hadn't just left it at the nebulous "prescription drugs" then there probably wouldn't have been quite as much of a pushback. But even outside of that it sure seems like a messy, not-so-well thought out metaphor in a messy, not-so-well thought out game, TBH.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I think there's definitely a point to this:

BigRed0427 posted:

according to a lot of them a lot of the hate int he furry fandom does seem to come from repackaged homophobia

But there is also this:

Leal posted:

There's nothing inherently gay about furry subculture, but at the time furries were such a small group that they had to adopt fairly radical inclusion to have enough people to be a group in the first place. They cast a pretty wide net, and that covered everything from geeks in the LGBT community to the fetish community to people wanting 24/7 "lifestyle" to new age/otherkin. When you're that small a group and don't have the internet on your side yet you learn to be pretty accepting or else there is no group. When that happens, you're going to get people who make the rest of the group look bad by sheer association but people put up with it because the alternative is no group at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I watched some magic the gathering youtubers who seemed to be descent if groggy dudes. Youtube then takes this as a signal that I want my feed to be nothing but the grossest possible people complaining about WotC selling out to "the SJEWS". Thanks youtube, you always know how to ruin something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

So I watched some magic the gathering youtubers who seemed to be descent if groggy dudes. Youtube then takes this as a signal that I want my feed to be nothing but the grossest possible people complaining about WotC selling out to "the SJEWS". Thanks youtube, you always know how to ruin something.

Magic the Gathering is the most grognardy white male millennial BO cloud-made-flesh thing in existence. Why are people getting mad about--you know what, gently caress it, I don't want to know. Keep breaking your toys, boys. That'll show 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

BO cloud-made-flesh

Isn't it a thing in MtG circles that they made it a rule you can be disqualified in tournaments for smelling so bad your opponent literally can't stand to be in the same room as you?