Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

We the People of Automotive Insanity:

After scoffing at the wayward soul that hears you're into bikes, only to ask if it's a fixie.
After spending multiple thousands of dollars in the name of weight reduction on our cars.
After watching the go-kart weight marshal take one look at us and say, "Nah, you're good bro".

We Crusaders of all things Car must now turn onto the street of health, for a lot of us truly Look Like poo poo.

This thread is for progress in the name of anything fitness. Weightlifting, bodybuilding, cardio, gently caress even cross-fit I guess. Post up your goals and motivational poo poo to get each-other working out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm chiseled as gently caress and I plan to stay that way even in my new 2019 BMW M2 Competition

*does donuts with middle finger out the window*

Lol later losers

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm trying to get some fuckin abs for this trip out to Colombia in October. I've never had them before and have been a lardy pile of garbage all before this year.

I'm working on weightlifting 4 times per week, as well as a low-carb diet that I'm still trying to get some science into. I have cut out all beer, though. It's a start.

GOAL: ABS
TIMEFRAME: Second week of October
PLAN: Progressive weightlifting with Bodyspace app, and low-carb diet.

E: 6'0", 200lbs before I started working out. I'm up to 213lbs and have been sitting there for a while.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 15, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh so this is a thing huh? Well gently caress it. New degree, (hopefully) new career soon, time for a new me.

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for about a week now. Since I'm loving huge I could eat like 2700 cal/day and lose 1 lb./week, but for now I'm going aggressive and aiming for 2200cal for 2 lbs/week. Currently hovering around 340 (shockingly lighter than the 350+ I thought I was, but the latter was based on fully clothed doctor's office weigh ins vs just boxers now). Hypothetically I could be under 300 by the end of the year; long term I'd like to be under 200, ideally around 170 or so. I'm 6'5" so that's sort of the low end of "normal/healthy" weight, but hey, go big or go home, right?

Not many people can say they divided themselves in half, we'll see how this goes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've dropped 25lbs or so in the last month or two by cutting soda and booze out almost entirely and watching what I eat more in general (also by stressing the gently caress out about poo poo. but mostly it was the eating healthy thing). Now I'm back to the weight I was in high school. :feelsgood:

Gonna try and get back into walking every day like I used to, maybe pick up a cheap bicycle or something.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
For all you runner and cycling record keeping (hell it does prettymuch anything these days), join Strava and then follow

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1170108

And I'll kudos you for as much as farting.

Annnnnnd....

After a few months of eating badly due to lack of time to cook, work trips and illness, I'm juuuust starting to try and get some cycling legs back. gently caress da flu. No goals just wanna lose a few kgs the last few months have made me add

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hey. Uh.

So, I was trying to lose weight and get in better shape but then stuff first kid stillborn happened and I've been stress eating and stress not taking care of myself and stress stressing. Also my job situation is lovely.

280lbs and 6'3" - going to try eating a bit less, stationary bike and bodyweight exercise or something. Wife and I were hiking for a while but joy, stress. Target is to be less fat? I'm terribad at figuring out how to motivate myself to do this stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've slowly gained back up to my Jan 2015 start weight of 263 after being down to 210. Guess daily sex is less of a workout than 50 miles of cycling per week. Goal is 190, but happy below 220.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm pretty into riding bikes. The funny thing is that moving into the socal ai goon house is what got me doing it. Weight had gradually crept up and seeing 212 (6'2) on the shipping scale at work is what really motivated me to do something about it. My roommate and his friends were into bikes and went on group rides so I saved up some cash and found a decent road bike on craigslist. Now at 35 I'm lighter and fitter than I've ever been.

I think the main thing is do what works for you. Run, go to the gym, swim, walk, hike, bike, rollerblade, whatever. Just get out there and do some physical activity on a regular basis. And I generally don't buy the "but I don't have time excuse." Like, how many hours do you spend just sitting around in front of a tv or loving off on the internet every day/week? Probably a lot.

The other side of it is eating better. I ride like 12-14 hours a week, sometimes more, and still don't get to drink all the beer and eat all the candy I want. Mainly the sugary drinks are the worst. I like beer and candy and chips but pretty much never drink anything with sugar in it. Lots of just plain water and then sparking water, iced tea, and diet coke if I want something with flavor. This year though, the biggest thing I did was drink less beer and I dropped another 10-15lbs pretty easily.

And if we're sharing stravas

https://www.strava.com/athletes/157724

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

33, 6'1", around 195ish. Started year (and last few years..) around 200 or so. I don't really move up and down more than about 5 lbs generally. Hoping to drop a little to around 180 or so via mountain biking. I can only get in a couple rides a week before picking up the kid from daycare and maybe 1 long ride on the weekends, weather permitting. Also the season will be ending in the next few months, so I'll probably go back to the gym or playing video games. :v: Cardio in the gym is so boring. Weight lifting just leaves me sore and I sleep like poo poo afterwards. I sleep like a baby if I'm putting a ton of miles in, though. I considered getting a fat bike for snow biking but it's loving cold in winter and I like being inside when it's cold outside. :effort:

I have a previous back/disc injury and both of my hip joints replaced with metal after having arthritis and extra bonus bone spurs. All is well except I can't really run anymore (used to run frequently, did a half marathon and a couple of 5k but was never really into it for the competitive aspect) due to how things healed on my 2nd hip replacement. I was really bummed about this initially because I loved running and was told I'd be able to return to it afterwards. That got me started mountain biking, which has been a lot of fun despite me being terrible and crashing constantly. I'm still trying to stretch my legs and hips to help my back out, and have to keep telling myself I'm not young and shouldn't even gently caress with doing deadlift/squats with my current body conditions. I should do yoga more.

Good luck getting less fat, goons. :cheers:

Edit: strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/21343424

Edit 2, more deets.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 15, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I weighed 195lb on January 1 this year, I currently weigh 150lb.
Eventually, I'll stop being lazy and start riding my biek with Strava more.

e: and by eventually I mean when it is under 100* at 8pm.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
6'1", 220~ lbs, there was a long time ago (I'm in my early 40s now) that I weighed 200lbs and had abs. I'm not looking to do that again, but I am looking to be a lot fitter than I am right now. Therefore, I signed up for a 100km endurance walking race at the end of March of next year. It's a combination of trail hiking through hills and valleys, then moving to some sealed bike tracks, then some more hills, then sealed tracks again.

The goal right now is to get 20km a week walking done, then ramp up in 4-6 weeks to 60km/week, another 4-6 weeks gets me 100km/week including one 50km walk per week. Then it's Christmas and a couple of weeks off. Then start the whole thing again, ramping up every 4 weeks, and tapering off for the last two weeks before the event.

I've always been dreadful at motivating myself to do things, but great at working towards a goal. I got out my old camelbak last night to discover that I hadn't cleaned it properly before the last time I put it away and now it's one big black slime mold colony on the inside. So I need another one of those, fortunately I just need the bladder and tube. My old hiking boots have probably had it, I'll need another pair of those and some light runners for the road sections. I'll get those in the next few months and break them in slowly, last thing I want is to get blistered out of my training routine.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I got like 4 cars but also used to bike commute for 7 years, mountain bike every chance I get in the summer and ski every chance I get in the winter (big mountain style, touring included).

Now I have an 80mi commute but I spin every day at my work's free gym. I should lift too but every day is leg day bro.

I have been 6 foot 4 and 200lbs my whole adult life but recently my dad and I both found out our a1c was pretty high (and members of the family have diabetes) so they told me to lose like 15 lbs and I went and lost like 35 by hittin' the moguls 3x a week for like 5 hours at a time, hopefully my a1c is better this fall when I get my physical. I'm like 165lbs now and its a "this is absolutely the minimum I want to weigh" thing at this point. I'd rather be skinny than have diabetes, but I was skinny already and this poo poo is ridiculous!

I'm more in shape than ever with respect to my chosen outdoor activities which is pretty cool though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Good timing on this thread, my goal was to not fit into off the rack suits and I just hit that today when I went to Nordstrom. Even with a jacket that was comically baggy in the chest and waist (50L), my arms fit but are uncomfortable, and trying to lift my elbows to be parallel with my head seemed like it may rip if I kept on going. Now my goal is to drop a bunch of weight while maintaining as much muscle as possible. Last year I went from working at home to working long hours at an office job, and that was good for an extra 15lbs (when I already needed to lose 30). At least my DXA scan says I'm the same body fat % as before, I just gained muscle and fat. In the highly likely chance that some of you are spergy, DXA scans are awesome because they break down exactly how much fat, muscle, and bone you have, and then give you a breakdown for each body part.

BlackMK4 posted:

I weighed 195lb on January 1 this year, I currently weigh 150lb.
Eventually, I'll stop being lazy and start riding my biek with Strava more.
drat, that's really good.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm working on weightlifting 4 times per week, as well as a low-carb diet that I'm still trying to get some science into. I have cut out all beer, though. It's a start.

Low carb diets aren't ideal for building muscle if you get into weightlifting in the long term, but if you're just trying to diet for October it's not going to be a problem.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

OK, this is going to sound really dumb but how do you actually set goals?

Like, Adiabatic had some mention of antilock brakes, other people are saying something about target weights... I'm just sitting here like... try to be less fat? Trying to find something modest enough that I can actually succeed, because the only time in my life I've been able to consistently stick to an exercise program was when I actively hated myself and had almost nothing positive going on to distract me from hating myself. And even if I'm stressed from various stuff now, I don't hate myself enough to work out like I was, and I like tasty food a lot more than I like exercise and literally cannot imagine not being fat. Even when I hated myself I was still fat.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Exercise is good for you but weight loss is going to be almost all diet, especially if you're already out of shape and can't go bike for 3 hrs straight. But if your only goal is fat loss, set something relatively easy like losing 1lb/week, then weigh yourself every week. See if you can lose 10lbs in 3 months, which really shouldn't even feel like too much of a diet.

poo poo, just make your goals something like making sure 5 meals a week are healthy (and not overeating at other meals because you were good earlier) and you'll probably drop weight. When I had more free time I'd only drink as much beer as I burned doing cardio earlier in the day, which is really effective since it shows you just how much you have to work out for that extra beer, while also limiting your beer unless you had something like 3 hrs to use the treadmill.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been on a self improvement thing for about five years now, I started by laying out basic life mile markers and doing fine tuning as it went along.
I don't care to go into all of the details because, honestly, who gives a poo poo but me, but at this point a lot of things in my life are on cruise control. I'd always weighed between 170-175lb until my late 20s, and I rarely buy clothes so last year I easily saw that the weight was getting out of hand.

The diet thing turned into just one of those things that I could save money on food, save money on clothes, feel better, motivate myself to be willing to go back to the gym / ride my mountain bike again, and check another box on my cruise control list. I didn't mean to end up at 150lb, but here we are. I would like to add in the riding / gym stuff now, then maintain around 155lb. I've been dancing around that for about a month here so I know I need to nut up and do it.

e: I stopped updating this a few months ago because my Bluetooth scale software had an update that broke wireless logging without creating an account, so I stopped caring. The gap is a trip to Japan where I walked something like 70 miles and ate whatever I felt like.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 15, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While I've already made my long term goals I now need to get my rear end in actual shape.

Current goal is to get back to lifting 3 times a week and start training for a 5K.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
abs2018!
Started the year at 205lb, currently at 172. 5'11" for reference. Thus far I've reduced portion servings to one-half, and purchased a stationary bike. I ride it 30 mins 3x week. The goal is 165ish and or abs, preferably by the 2nd week of September. I've recently doubled the time on the stationary to ensure things go to plan. imo weightloss happens at the dinner table. My heaviest was 250.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cursedshitbox posted:

imo weightloss happens at the dinner table

Absolutely it does. The two best exercises for weightloss are head shakes ("No thanks, I won't have another piece") and table push-aways (getting up after you've finished eating your meal and not staying for seconds)

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I started my degoonification process just after new years this year. I'm down to 241lbs at 6'0" from 305lbs at the beginning of this year. I'm not doing anything intense, just cardio a few times a week and autistically counting calories and weighing my food with a scale. I'd like to hit 200lbs by the end of the year but I'll be happy if I can lose another 20ish before 2018 closes. I guess I should probably start lifting sometime soon too I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I actually need to gain weight. Currently at 6' 150lbs. Since I got diagnosed with crohn's a few years ago I have slowly been dropping from my average weight of about 165. Then my shoulder freezing up on me a year ago made me stop working out and i lost a lot of strength as a result. The disease I have also effects my joints (arthritis) and depletes bone mass over time so I really need to get back into working out on a daily basis or it will just keep getting worse.

My shoulder is finally starting to get back to normal so i want to get back into a daily routine, will be tough because I haven't had a real routine in over a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I actually need to gain weight. Currently at 6' 150lbs. Since I got diagnosed with crohn's a few years ago I have slowly been dropping from my average weight of about 165. Then my shoulder freezing up on me a year ago made me stop working out and i lost a lot of strength as a result. The disease I have also effects my joints (arthritis) and depletes bone mass over time so I really need to get back into working out on a daily basis or it will just keep getting worse.

My shoulder is finally starting to get back to normal so i want to get back into a daily routine, will be tough because I haven't had a real routine in over a year.

Holy poo poo dude, you didn't need to take all the fat jokes so personally.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've never been over 170 my entire life. And I can't just pig out on junk food to gain or it all goes right to my gut and I lose my glorious abs, so I gotta eat as clean as possible. I never was much of a foodie, so it can be a challenge to choke down food when i'm not even hungry but I have to do something so this disease doesn't make me all skin and bones :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gentlemen, this thread is for setting goals and sticking to them. If you do not have a current plan, make one and post up. If you do have a current plan, tell us about it. This ain't the chat thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm working on a plan right now, will post it up once i have it all figured out. Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Honestly, right now I'd just be happy to be back and normal in the gym by the end of the year.

Background: I was extremely active for years before this, going to the gym at least four times a week and lifting heavy (my 5RM squat and deadlift were both over 400 and my squat on a good day could push 470), but since July of last year I've been sidelined with a bunch of pinched nerves in my neck. I've been doing physio fairly intensively since then, and I've had both good days and bad days (more good than bad lately), but I'm sick and tired of the bad days period. The knock on effect of this injury is it has made sleep difficult at times; right around when I started physio, I was maybe getting a couple hours of quality sleep a night, which had all kinds of very negative effects on both my physical and mental health.

I'm 6'1" and 205 or thereabouts, but in the intervening year since I've been able to lift hard, I've gone a bit soft.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm 30 and I've been a bodybuilder since I was 17. I have my ups and downs with my biggest size being 240lbs. of lean muscle, stage ready competition weight, with 19" arms.
I took a break from the gold's gym scene, and recently built a garage gym with a power rack, benches, DB's, and a lot of iron.

I'm sitting at around 205lbs of lean muscle right now, taking in about 250g of clean protein a day. Sort of working with a clean bulk diet here.
I lift every morning, for about 45mins - 1hr. Immediately after lifting, I'll go run a mile or two with my dog.

The goal I've set for myself recently is to build 21" arms. I think this will be about a year-long, to a year and a half journey for me. I'm genetically gifted in the arms department, and I'm sitting at 17" right now. I'm coming off a long break, so I'm moving at a pace of only about a 1/4" a month. For every 10lbs of bodyweight I put on, I can usually get about 1" in arm size. So I'll probably end up somewhere around 230lbs by the time I reach my goal.
I still maintain a regular bodybuilder split, hitting the entire body. But my split is focused on one goal - just 21" no matter what. So much of my exercise selection and volume training is based around that goal.
It's a fun goal. I have nothing to prove anymore because I've already been able to compete and reach most of my other bodybuilding goals I set for myself over the years. Now that I have the garage gym every morning, I just go out there and have fun with a cool goal for myself in mind. I love it.

Long way to go! One thing I learned very early on in my life is that if you make your Health a major priority in life (proper diet and exercise) you won't have to deal with many Health related issues in your life.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 15, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm currently 199 lbs at ~6'2" after nearly a year of seesawing down from 230 lbs

I still have my old "Kanye's Workout Plan, 4 days a week" bodybuilding routine kicking around from when I still had a 48" chest with a 28" waist. Completely honest though, I'm tired of lifting weights, I spent 3 years doing almost nothing but lifting weights and eating chicken breast. Plus I have a SLAP tear, so unless I'm doing almost exclusively isometric exercises, lifting in general is out of the question. Cardio sucks donkey dongs because I have pretty bad asthma and piriformis syndrome, so I've been eyeing a rock climbing gym that's ~1 mile from my school... and my buddy keeps trying to get me to box with him

I want to get back to 180lbs by midterms, which also happens to be the week of my birthday. I know only 1 lb a week is the expected amount to lose with diet and exercise, but I spent years dabbling in powdermancy. Come hell or high water, I will be <180 lbs by October 12

E: IIRC this is :toxx: worthy in the Log Cabin, right? I'll put my money where my mouth is
GOAL: To not hate myself <180 lbs
TIMEFRAME: by October 12
PLAN: active job, low carb diet, and rock climbing/boxing

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 15, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And this link should probably be up in the OP, but it's the YLLS Diet and Exercise questions megathread

It's full of great info and some really patient people

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Gentlemen, this thread is for setting goals and sticking to them. If you do not have a current plan, make one and post up. If you do have a current plan, tell us about it. This ain't the chat thread.

Looks like we have 20 weeks left in the year, so I'm going with 1.5lbs/week weight loss for 12 weeks, 4 weeks at maintenance, and 4 weeks at 1.5lbs/week until the end of the year, for a total loss of 24lbs by the end of the year. Main obstacle: work is about to get insanely busy from now until the end of the year, so I'm not sure how I'll do on having enough time to go to the gym and meal prep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay detailed post.

39, 5'8", 166lbs. Down from 215 last March, 245 in 2014.

I'm quite happy with my weight and I look better than I have in 10 years. I was lifting 3 days a week following the stronglifts 5x5 program but my new job and switch to 3rd shift is taking time to adjust so I have temporarily ceased lifting. I do a shitload of cardio, usually a full hour on the elliptical. I also count calories like a madman, barely eat fried food, cut way back on red meat and don't drink pop at all.

Edit: Equipment on hand: Elliptical, Squat rack, weight bench and weights. A bicycle purchase is planned for this year as well.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 15, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I finally bought a bike again about a month ago, after being bike-less for years. So I started lugging it on the s-train to work and biking home, and this week -- since the weather cooled down a bit -- I've started biking all the way to work instead, around 7.5km. Last time I tried doing that on my old bike, I was absolutely drenched. Now I have a nice new bike and in somewhat better shape, it's actually possible without stinking of sweat the rest of the day.

I don't really have a hard fitness goal as such, and I'm still doing crossfit a couple of times/week, but I'm hoping to improve my cardio game, I still get winded and sweaty way too quickly.

E: Gotta have (life)goals, empty chatting isn't good enough.

GOAL: 32, 178cm, currently at 100kg, so I'd like to get below 95, ideally below 90. Never gonna be skinny, but I'd like to lose the gut. Improved cardio, no hard metric for that, but I'd like to not be completely winded after biking home from work.
TIMEFRAME: End of year.
PLAN: Bike commute, crossfit, stuffing my face less than I do now, cut down on the alcohol intake, especially beer at concerts/festivals.
OBSTACLE: I just bought an ice cream maker.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 15, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hell, why not.

Currently 6'6", 360lbs. Recently got a doc to finally figure out why I've felt like complete poo poo for years, and now get to sleep with a cpap because I was stopping breathing at night thanks to fat and how my airway's built. So far it's a night and day difference in my cardio. I had zero endurance and energy because I was constantly exhausted, and now I've put in 100km on foot in the last month and feel great about it. Also, amazingly for someone my size and drinking habits, I'm not diabetic, so I've got that going for me.

Weight loss side should be pretty humdrum. I already quit drinking regularly at the start of the year and started logging everything so I know what's going on. Now that I can get some actual sleep and not be slamming sugar and caffeine all night to try and make up for not being rested it's just about consistency from here. Generally running the diet low sugar but not especially low carb (most of my carbs are veggies and beans), and high protein. Walk and bike until I get down enough for my knees to tolerate running, and get my lifting routine back on target so I maintain muscle mass.

Just scored a fat bike, so that's going to be a whole new lesson in pain and fun. Going to have to build up because it's been years since I biked regularly.

Strava here, though it's empty so far as I'm working out getting my Gear Fit to talk to it: https://www.strava.com/athletes/liquid_communsim

GOAL: 280
TIMEFRAME: 1 July 2019
PLAN: Bike, run, lift, quit eating like an idiot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

'mirin.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Lemme just post my basement gym:

I don't use it nearly enough tho, some sort of hosed up thing going on in my lower back and the damnedprecious kid taking up all my time and energy leads to not much liftin'.

Which must be corrected. Will report back.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My goal is just to get some general fitness back and loose a little bit of weight- Im at 6 foot and 89kg now, really would be good for me to to be down to 80kg. Used to basically run a small geotech drill rig by myself which was absolutely backbreaking physical work, but by the end of that I was properly fit.

Then I got the current job with Parks and well, turns out im REALLY good at operating machinery, so Im usually the bloke sitting on the backhoe/bobcat/tractor/excavator telling someone ELSE in the hole to dig with the spade. That and getting bursitis in BOTH shoulders september last year has absolutely hosed me over fitness wise.

Plan is- Physio for the shoulders and back, which is already having an effect on the amount of pain Im in on a daily basis, then work on building up muscle strength again in my upper and mid back to support the shoulders.

Hopefully once I've got that on the mend, I'll be able to get involved in some more physically intense activities to improve the fitness. We've changed up our diet at home quite a bit and cut out a LOT of junk food, and once the weather isnt alternating between "Cold and wet" and "Cold and sideways wet" we'll start doing a lot more walking around town.

Im also going back on the fire crew at work this year after a year off from injury, so thats going to kick my arse across the continent.

Really- I'd like to be able to go through my day without hurting by the end of the year, and if by this time next year my fitness has improved considerably i'll be quite happy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Door Frame posted:

Cardio sucks donkey dongs because I have pretty bad asthma and piriformis syndrome, so I've been eyeing a rock climbing gym that's ~1 mile from my school... and my buddy keeps trying to get me to box with him

I too have piriformis syndrome after having hip surgery. I tried stretching and strengthening, but that only made it more sore. So much for running ever again. :v: However it got me into biking which it doesn't seem to bother.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

OK I'll try this again.

GOAL: Back below 270 pounds (which was my stable pre-stress-eating weight) and ideally more. Hurt less on a day to day basis.
TIMEFRAME: Weight goal by end of September? That works out to around a pound and a half per week.
PLAN: Be hungry all the time, go pound on the stupid stationary bike at least 3x/week for at least half hour per session. Bodyweight exercises? Something.
OBSTACLE: I'm really not sure how well this is going to work - stress eating got me 10 pounds over my pre-stress stable weight, but prior to that I'd been stable at about 270 pounds for a year and a half, and I'm skeptical about how much I can actually cut out calorie-wise and not be a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Long way to go! One thing I learned very early on in my life is that if you make your Health a major priority in life (proper diet and exercise) you won't have to deal with many Health related issues in your life.

Dude! Amazing progress. You're killing it.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm trying to get some fuckin abs for this trip out to Colombia in October. I've never had them before and have been a lardy pile of garbage all before this year.

GOAL: ABS
TIMEFRAME: Second week of October
PLAN: Progressive weightlifting with Bodyspace app, and low-carb diet.

E: 6'0", 200lbs before I started working out. I'm up to 213lbs and have been sitting there for a while.

Ok so here's the current lack of abs:

Don't mind the scented candle.

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): Bodyspace says it's chest day, with 6-8 reps per set. On Bench I'm looking to get up to 185 on at least one set of 6.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, where I'll probably eat a bunch of grains. Should this be before or after the workout? Does it matter?
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: Dr. Eric Thomas will get you the gently caress up off the couch

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 15, 2018