Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

For more or less starting the game around the same time the Summer Event started, I'm pretty amazed that I managed to gather all of the Ascension + NP materials for the welfare Scathach. She might not be great, but seeing as how the grind is just a lot faster at higher levels (and because the Summer 2 events required a much higher level party than I could be expected to field for playing the game less than three weeks) I can't believe I pulled it off.

Thank you to all of the random Lvl 100 maxed Jalters that pulled my sorry rear end through things (although for story events, some of the event servants - I'm looking at you, Edison - were more hindrance than help).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LuiCypher posted:

Thank you to all of the random Lvl 100 maxed Jalters that pulled my sorry rear end through things (although for story events, some of the event servants - I'm looking at you, Edison - were more hindrance than help).

Yeah. The mandatory servants can be kinda bad. And sometimes they love forcing you to take on against an enemy that has class advantage over them.

As somebody who had to stumble their way through the Onigashima event at low levels with nothing but Medusa and a dream, I can promise it will get easier once you get some servants higher up.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

LuiCypher posted:

(although for story events, some of the event servants - I'm looking at you, Edison - were more hindrance than help).

Much like the real Edison, he rises on the backs of his betters.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dawgstar posted:

As somebody who had to stumble their way through the Onigashima event at low levels with nothing but Medusa and a dream, I can promise it will get easier once you get some servants higher up.

One benefit is that in trying to push myself through Summer 1, Summer 2, and getting all the items, I'm pretty sure I gained at least a third of my Master levels in the past few days alone. I more or less made a beeline for the Summer events after clearing Orleans, so it will be amusing to see how Septum goes (I am probably very over-leveled for it).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually don't mind Summer Jeanne's 3rd sprite/ascension, but it's just that her 2nd is so much top tier that it's not fair. Why is Jeanne cursed to not have her 3rd ascension be the best

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Squirtoria rules and Chloe is the worst thing in the game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BlondRobin posted:

Re: the pigs, it's worth noting that a continuing theme in the game, especially in Part 2 (and I think many of Type-Moon's broader works) is that humanity and civilization are at once special and not unqualifiedly good, important and yet absolutely dangerous. Humanity in the Nasuverse isn't just a random group of monkeys that sprung out and built them some civilization; they're pretty much a project Reality is running, and tries to keep a fairly tight leash on. For better or worse, 'rogue' civilization in the Nasuverse is a huge liability, especially in the shadowlands where time and reality are much more mutable.

In Nasu Lore, this is what the 'Foundation of Humanity' actually is. They go into it with Extella a bit, but in essence Reality fits only so many parallel realities into existence. Those that are too far gone, or even too advanced, get pruned from the timeline entirely, shunted off into a dead-end direction. Those realities that fit into the probability tree are allowed to continue on, so that humanity's progress can match it's capacity to handle that process.

This allows for realities where differing parties win the Holy Grail War, which is where we're at with Fate/GO (Maris winning the 5th HGW, as pointed out in Camelot), instead of the reality where Shirou and Saber destroy the grail (F/SN) or the one where Kiritsugu never meets Irisveil and becomes the Counter Force (Zero Order). That means one of the 'quantum timelocks' for Humanity is the Holy Grail coming into existence, and given the poo poo it's caused that kinda sucks, which goes back to the 'humans aren't necessarily good' idea.

Which, in turn, makes Solomon's actions all the more horrifying. He incinerated the Foundation of Humanity. That means that all of those pathways, all of those alternate realities, are destroyed outside of the singularities. The only thing that keeps Humanity around as a conceptual idea is Chaldea, the meager handful of staff, and one Master suitable enough to go repair time/space. That is it. Even for Nasu, that's kinda bleak.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

the_steve posted:

I was gonna say Galgamesh, but yours is better.

Gal == Gyaru

Gilgamesh == ギルガメッシュ == Girugamesshu => Gyarugamesshu => Galgamesh == Gyarugamesh

Which type of gyaru would she be.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's a level of weeb I'm not prepared to descend to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

J.A.B.C. posted:

In Nasu Lore, this is what the 'Foundation of Humanity' actually is. They go into it with Extella a bit, but in essence Reality fits only so many parallel realities into existence. Those that are too far gone, or even too advanced, get pruned from the timeline entirely, shunted off into a dead-end direction. Those realities that fit into the probability tree are allowed to continue on, so that humanity's progress can match it's capacity to handle that process.

This allows for realities where differing parties win the Holy Grail War, which is where we're at with Fate/GO (Maris winning the 5th HGW, as pointed out in Camelot), instead of the reality where Shirou and Saber destroy the grail (F/SN) or the one where Kiritsugu never meets Irisveil and becomes the Counter Force (Zero Order). That means one of the 'quantum timelocks' for Humanity is the Holy Grail coming into existence, and given the poo poo it's caused that kinda sucks, which goes back to the 'humans aren't necessarily good' idea.

Which, in turn, makes Solomon's actions all the more horrifying. He incinerated the Foundation of Humanity. That means that all of those pathways, all of those alternate realities, are destroyed outside of the singularities. The only thing that keeps Humanity around as a conceptual idea is Chaldea, the meager handful of staff, and one Master suitable enough to go repair time/space. That is it. Even for Nasu, that's kinda bleak.

Sounds like the Limit of Questions in Eureka Seven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4mQgudr7mk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gologle posted:

I actually don't mind Summer Jeanne's 3rd sprite/ascension, but it's just that her 2nd is so much top tier that it's not fair. Why is Jeanne cursed to not have her 3rd ascension be the best

And to play a sad game of 'if only.'

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

RevolverDivider posted:

Squirtoria rules and Chloe is the worst thing in the game.

Man have you SEEN Assassin of the Nightless City? That's a whole new level of bad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm playing through various Interludes now that I have a little bit of free time, and Atalante's interlude is actually pretty enlightening on how HS' perceive their past incarnations in the many HGWs throughout the timelines. More importantly, it drops Void Dust like crazy and I love it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah is it that time again? *unfurls list of characters i must loudly proclaim my hate for unprompted*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's talk about how great Sherlock Holmes is, and how it's cool they based his design on Jeremy Brett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_A-KxpF3WY

Grailed him to 100 on JP no ragrets.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

As summer ends, I must once again declare how annoying the servant bonus distribution for part 2 was.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about how great Sherlock Holmes is, and how it's cool they based his design on Jeremy Brett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_A-KxpF3WY

Grailed him to 100 on JP no ragrets.

Yeah! Holmes is cool! Baritsu makes artes buster!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think I at least got all of Scat's ascension items...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Am I a bad person for demolishing everything in Part 2 before it goes down? I didn't like it very much, and if they're already going to lose everything, why not make it faster, right? :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
oh wait, I hosed up and can't get scat fully ascended. Ugh

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Final verdict, summer was fun, we had a blast, Mordred was dumb but adorable, Martha is awesome, and I got just barely enough sea shells to ensure that next year if I do roll Summer Raikou I am set sea shell wise for her.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I NEED loving MEDALS AAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: can someone post the guide for the next event so I don't gently caress up so hard next time?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 15, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

I NEED loving MEDALS AAAAAAAAAAAA

I thought I was clever. I got all the Medals in the Part 1 store for Lartoria. All was well. Then oops Squitoria needs them well.

Artoria might have a problem with validation.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Got nearly everything out of the shops, with the only things left being pieces/monuments, and a few things on the second shop I just ran out of time and patience to grind. Specifically Black Beast Grease, Spirit Roots and Shells - and the only one I'm particularly disappointed about was the Shells (seriously, the list of servants that use Grease for anything is ludicrously tiny, and heavily in the far future). Also maybe 140 prisms or so lost due to stage 2 projects I didn't get around to completing - none of the scenes were particularly interesting, so just no drive to finish.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

BlondRobin posted:

Re: the pigs, it's worth noting that a continuing theme in the game, especially in Part 2 (and I think many of Type-Moon's broader works) is that humanity and civilization are at once special and not unqualifiedly good, important and yet absolutely dangerous. Humanity in the Nasuverse isn't just a random group of monkeys that sprung out and built them some civilization; they're pretty much a project Reality is running, and tries to keep a fairly tight leash on. For better or worse, 'rogue' civilization in the Nasuverse is a huge liability, especially in the shadowlands where time and reality are much more mutable.

Even just within the context of the event itself, it was kind of a running joke that you were enabling the pigs to build a sci-fi dystopia. Some of their reactions to things you can build are pretty, uh, off-kilter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're like me and want to hit some skill gem targets over the next couple of months (I'd like to clear some milestones before the xmas lottos so that I can, like, actually have some sort of buffer afterwards), there are some skill gems to be had in upcoming events:

Prisma: +10 of Archer/Caster/Lancer
Nerofest: +20 of Saber/Lancer/Rider
Halloween 1 Rerun: +5 Caster
Halloween 2: +5 of all classes

Might've missed a few but that's the gist of it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gem hell never ends

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Thuryl posted:

Even just within the context of the event itself, it was kind of a running joke that you were enabling the pigs to build a sci-fi dystopia. Some of their reactions to things you can build are pretty, uh, off-kilter.

DON'T ASK THEM WHERE THE BEEF IN THE BEEF BOWLS COME FROM.

The writing in Part 2 was pretty bad for the most part, with a few occasional highlights like that here and there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The common gems seem like the hardest to find.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ruler Martha's skill up situation is going to be the death of my gems. :negative:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Traveller posted:

Ruler Martha's skill up situation is going to be the death of my gems. :negative:
Nah the current half-AP training quests is super helpful. I've now got over 30 of each Berserker gem today with just my normal daily AP and I didn't have many to begin with.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 15, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Martha doesn't seem terribly desperate to have all her skills maxed, at least

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like the Limit of Questions in Eureka Seven.

Once you get out into the wilder cosmos of the Nasuverse, outside of the Human Order, poo poo gets WEIRD really fast. In the wider cosmos, there is very little evidence of intelligence similar to human intelligence and you often wind up with weird, Evangelion-like creatures where the planet produces a single, ideal lifeform and nothing else.

Even Atilla, which is probably the closest we've seen to an intelligence SIMILAR to human, is so utterly alien that to understand what she's saying is to not quite understand what she means.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dogsicle posted:

Martha doesn't seem terribly desperate to have all her skills maxed, at least

It feels like if you get her third skill to 10 everything else is gravy.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Even Atilla, which is probably the closest we've seen to an intelligence SIMILAR to human, is so utterly alien that to understand what she's saying is to not quite understand what she means.

She's sure become a friend though, our alien friend.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Nate RFB posted:

If you're like me and want to hit some skill gem targets over the next couple of months (I'd like to clear some milestones before the xmas lottos so that I can, like, actually have some sort of buffer afterwards), there are some skill gems to be had in upcoming events:

Prisma: +10 of Archer/Caster/Lancer
Nerofest: +20 of Saber/Lancer/Rider
Halloween 1 Rerun: +5 Caster
Halloween 2: +5 of all classes

Might've missed a few but that's the gist of it.

What rarities are these? Because I'm set on blue gems for TamaLancer, but I'm desperate need of red/gold gems for her.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nerofes has all three rarities and I'd assume that's the case for the others

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gloomy Rube posted:

She's sure become a friend though, our alien friend.

Only after she had invested humanity, assimilated our concepts and thoughts into herself and ceased to be what she was before.

Because this is, apparently, how her species reproduces.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

serefin99 posted:

What rarities are these? Because I'm set on blue gems for TamaLancer, but I'm desperate need of red/gold gems for her.
Generally speaking whenever you see a skill gem in an event as a reward/shop, it's always all three types. At the very least that is the case for what I outlined above.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gearhead posted:

Only after she had invested humanity, assimilated our concepts and thoughts into herself and ceased to be what she was before.

Because this is, apparently, how her species reproduces.

Is 'our' Altera the same as Altera from Extella? I've never been quite clear.

She's good civilization either way, I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Dawgstar posted:

Is 'our' Altera the same as Altera from Extella? I've never been quite clear.

She's good civilization either way, I'm just curious.

Not exactly. Spoilers for Extella: The original giant Altera from space landed on the moon and was trapped there. However, she sent down a copy of herself to destroy any civilizations that were present. The copy was destroyed by Excalibur, but the remnants of it eventually created a human size Altera thousands of years later, which was eventually found by the huns and became Atilla the Hun. This is the heroic spirit that we have in this game. While there is a human sized version of Altera in Extella, she is a copy of the heroic spirit created by the original giant Altera, not the heroic spirit in this game.

I think. That game is confusing,