Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can buy a switch and try to desolder your current switch and solder a new one in it's place.. it may just need to be resoldered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

tater_salad posted:

Okay so I want to get keycaps at some point and digging all the random poo poo is frustrating. As all get out.

Here's what I want.
1 Not to spend eleventy billion dollars.
2. Translucent numbers/ letters if possible (can either be top or side side is kind of cool)
3. That old school 80s color for the main keys.
Something like this, lighter color preferred.

This would be for cherry mx switches.

KBDfans has a ton of options. These, for example.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

tater_salad posted:

You can buy a switch and try to desolder your current switch and solder a new one in it's place.. it may just need to be resoldered.

Thanks, I'll try that. Now that I think about it, it is kind of like when a headphone jack's solder is starting to go and you've got to kind of wiggle it to get it to make contact right. Speaking of which I have to resolder the aux jack in my car anyway.

I misplaced my key puller when I moved a couple months ago. Is there something else around the house that can be used in its place? I'm figuring I'll try resoldering and then if that doesn't work I'll buy a new switch (and a clear for the space bar while I'm at it).

It's a pain because I love this keyboard in general. Ergonomics are great, kes feel good, not too loud, TKL is nice because it gives me more room for m mouse, but it's at the point where 90% of the time it doesn't register those two kes, and the result is everthing looking like this line if I don't go back, slow down, and hit the ke very carefull.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. Now that I think about it, it is kind of like when a headphone jack's solder is starting to go and you've got to kind of wiggle it to get it to make contact right. Speaking of which I have to resolder the aux jack in my car anyway.

I misplaced my key puller when I moved a couple months ago. Is there something else around the house that can be used in its place? I'm figuring I'll try resoldering and then if that doesn't work I'll buy a new switch (and a clear for the space bar while I'm at it).

It's a pain because I love this keyboard in general. Ergonomics are great, kes feel good, not too loud, TKL is nice because it gives me more room for m mouse, but it's at the point where 90% of the time it doesn't register those two kes, and the result is everthing looking like this line if I don't go back, slow down, and hit the ke very carefull.

Check with your keyboard you MAY have removable switches that you con't even need to desolder. So try and replace the switch, if that doesn't fix it just pull the back off and see if you can check the solder joints. My Keeb has removable switches so if one dies it's super easy to replace it provided it's not the solder joint (it's a super el-cheapo keyboard though).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Credit card, knife, spoon, paperclip, thick piece of card, a coin?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

paperclip, ?

This works really well.. get a paperclip.. unfold it.. fold it back so that it can fit under a key and bam you're good to pull the keycap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. On a whim I tried switching caps again and this time it seemed to work. So I figured it had to be a wiggly keycap that just wasn't actuating the switch every time. So I looked it up and some people do scotch tape on the socket to put a bit of width on it and fit better. I didn't have scotch tape, but I had a little bit of super thin cellophane, and tried applying that. So far it's working, but we'll see if it stays working. Hopefully it does, it's nice being able to type at full speed without having to backspace constantly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just used one of the cheapest outemu brown keyboards for like $29 bux and it was honestly really good. I wouldn't buy one myself but and person on the cheap can type like a mofo on them and not feel constrained in speed or feel.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont know if anyone has seen this beast:
https://www.amazon.com/CD108BT-Wire...bc%2Bbrown&th=1

Wired+Bluetooth with all cherry keycaps. Great quality. 4 Bluetooth connections simultaneously with a FN+1-4 combo. Fantastic fonts. NO goddamn loving RGB. SEX

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/A6VZbU8

To those who said it would never arrive, it did.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

redeyes posted:

I just used one of the cheapest outemu brown keyboards for like $29 bux and it was honestly really good. I wouldn't buy one myself but and person on the cheap can type like a mofo on them and not feel constrained in speed or feel.

Was it a 104 key? Although i think mine was 36. I wanted to harvest the switches from it since i wanted some feeling and 110 switches was 35ish from Korea or i could get a kb for 36 and have it in 2 days and maybe swap the reds into the base and take it to work.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 14, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ColHannibal posted:

https://imgur.com/a/A6VZbU8

To those who said it would never arrive, it did.

Oooh, nice. Cute packaging, too.

I wonder if anyone's told him the name of that cafe appears to read "Norhaforce" instead of "Norbaforce".

Maybe he was going for the archaic orthography that sometimes omitted the dakuten v:v:v

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oooh, nice. Cute packaging, too.

I wonder if anyone's told him the name of that cafe appears to read "Norhaforce" instead of "Norbaforce".

Maybe he was going for the archaic orthography that sometimes omitted the dakuten v:v:v

https://imgur.com/a/kFYB3Uo

Built it up.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Sweet. Did the flat USB Type-C cable work?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet. Did the flat USB Type-C cable work?

Yep, but it’s so short I am going to have to get a new one.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I used to be mortified by the spergs that take apart every switch to change springs/stems/lube, but today I just disemboweled a spare Havit 390L and pulled the clickbar out of every low-profile Kailh switch to make it linear. The result is amazing and I'm really enjoying it. I was going to desolder and replace the switches with red chocs from novelkeys, but apparently the stems on Havit and the choc switches are slightly different and I would have had to replace the caps as well.

I really hope the choc switches make a bigger impression on the scene... as much as I like building regular keebs, I type about twice as fast on low-profile. Kailh has a great variety of switches, but PCBs and keycap options are severely lacking. I could probably figure out PCB design software and draw something up, but I'm still at the mercy of whatever keycaps are out there.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

redeyes posted:

I dont know if anyone has seen this beast:
https://www.amazon.com/CD108BT-Wire...bc%2Bbrown&th=1

Wired+Bluetooth with all cherry keycaps. Great quality. 4 Bluetooth connections simultaneously with a FN+1-4 combo. Fantastic fonts. NO goddamn loving RGB. SEX

more indepth review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/iKBC/CD108_BT/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cool thanks for that. Good stuff. If I didn't already have that keyboard minus the bluetooth I'd buy it.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Would anyone use a keyboard sharing service to rent out their keyboards to people looking to try before they buy?

The biggest hurdle I can find is shipping keyboards. They are fragile and not suited for cheap shipping.

I'm wondering about a sharing service where people could locally post their keyboards for rent so people could try a keyboard for a week or two without taking the plunge and possibly not like what they get and have to ship keyboards back and forth.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Keyboards can get pretty nasty so I personally wouldn't really want to lend mine out to strangers or try someone else's for an undetermined amount of time.

I can see it being nice for a vendor to say have a catalog of keyboards available to rent out, and the consumer can choose to pay to keep the keyboard minus what they already paid for renting it. Shipping can be done via Pelican cases to keep things safe, but definitely would not be cheap to ship. Pretty much follow the lens rental models that established places have.

I don't know, it just seems like a super niche service for a super niche problem that can probably be solved in a better way. Like it's honestly probably a better idea to put the time, money and effort in to a local keyboard meetup and have people try other keyboards for a couple hours and get their impressions there. Then again, car sharing is somehow a thing (Maven, etc.) so it could still work I guess.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

redeyes posted:

Cool thanks for that. Good stuff. If I didn't already have that keyboard minus the bluetooth I'd buy it.

Any thoughts on the board's build quality/keycaps? I've been looking for a wireless TKL with blues for awhile...I had hopes for the Computex releases but they're all draped in RGB.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Got in the SA Calm Depths group buy last year at the beginning of October, got a shipping notice a couple days ago and was very confused as to what I had ordered. Completely forgot about the keycaps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So the GMMK is up on massdrop, but man I have a real hard time buying their products as the whole thing is, at best, in incredibly poor taste. Can some goon either validate or assuage my reluctance to buy their products? Are there any other comparable products in the hot-swapable space?

mewse
May 2, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

So the GMMK is up on massdrop, but man I have a real hard time buying their products as the whole thing is, at best, in incredibly poor taste. Can some goon either validate or assuage my reluctance to buy their products? Are there any other comparable products in the hot-swapable space?

It's good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ItBreathes posted:

The PC gaming master race poo poo is awful but I'd buy one of their keyboards if it had the features I wanted and nobody else did. It's a really stupid tagline that apes nazi ideology poo poo but I'm sure the company just used it because they could sell more hardware to reddit people. If reddit's pc gaming stuff was called PC Gayming Club Masters the keyboards would probably be the Dominator from GCM or something.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

No, I'm with you. 2018 is the wrong year for giving money to people who think Nazi references are harmless fun.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

It's good, the software is also optional unlike mainstream gaming keebs. My only complaint is that while it looks solid, it's actually a little light and hollow. Wish they packed it with more weight in the materials.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ItBreathes posted:

The K type is a hot swap, rgb keyboard. You can find it on eBay new pretty easily, it’s where I bought mine. It’s also got programmable firmware, and requires no actual software on the computer to use. It’s only a TKL if that matters to you.

I’ve looked at the gmmk a few times due to the rgb/hotswap capabilities, but even if it fit my needs, the whole schtick is too terrible to ever really consider.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I don't really browse this thread much (ok, or this site, for that matter) but I just recently put my Norbaforce on my Realforce so here's some pictures.

This is a $300 USD aluminum keyboard case. Ordered it back in November from here: https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

Installation was pretty simple, they even made a tutorial video on how to do it. Having an (included) detachable USB-C cable is also a nice touch.

Ideally I would have liked to have found some of those blue Realforce keysets, but they're impossible to find. I have some kbdfans 9009 Topre keycaps preordered but they don't ship until November.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

I don't really browse this thread much (ok, or this site, for that matter) but I just recently put my Norbaforce on my Realforce so here's some pictures.

This is a $300 USD aluminum keyboard case. Ordered it back in November from here: https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

Installation was pretty simple, they even made a tutorial video on how to do it. Having an (included) detachable USB-C cable is also a nice touch.

Ideally I would have liked to have found some of those blue Realforce keysets, but they're impossible to find. I have some kbdfans 9009 Topre keycaps preordered but they don't ship until November.

eBay is your friend, there are always china made blank topre keys on there.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
If the 9009 keycaps KBDfans are making themselves are anywhere close to the EnjoyPBT ones then you're in for a treat.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Is there anyone who sells complete boards with Kailh Box Royals or do you have to buy them loose and build the board yourself?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The only keyboard I'm aware of that you can (pre-)order to come with BOX Royals is the Input Club Kira 99-key keyboard.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Were Royals not included in the whole stem-breaking fiasco? I just got my new batch of fixed Jades today. I would be weary of old stock when it comes to box switches.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Constellation I posted:

If the 9009 keycaps KBDfans are making themselves are anywhere close to the EnjoyPBT ones then you're in for a treat.

I have the Valentine set, and I also think the keycaps which came with my Tada68 are EnjoyPBT. I think KBDfans are the ones that make them? I ordered the 9009 set off their site. I definitely think they're a step above the standard Topre keycaps.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

TheFluff posted:

Is there anyone who sells complete boards with Kailh Box Royals or do you have to buy them loose and build the board yourself?

You can order fully assembled from KBDFans if you order the right assembly service item along with all the parts.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Thanks! It saddens me though that full size DIY kits seem as rare as hen's teeth :(

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I have seen a 104 key kit in the past but I can't remember where. The 19x is as close as you can get for an easily accessible kit.

But you could also get something with hotswap sockets if all you want to change are the switches. The (ugh) Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard is on massdrop right now.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, the closest we have to DIY full-size keyboards is desoldering a premade keyboard :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, the closest we have to DIY full-size keyboards is desoldering a premade keyboard :/

Or finding one that has removable switches.