Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
That poppet is not the right size for that post. The metal poppet itself should be more or less flush with the top of the post, not protruding like that. And, of course, the O-ring should not be prolapsed out the top, either. I think I suggested those universal poppets, which clearly did not work for you, so I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

This is old already...

edit: imgur app loving sucks.

drat. Maybe it's the pin locks that is just being really screwy themselves? Can you get some different ones that will fit your threads? Or maybe it's just time to convert them to ball locks?

It's unnecessarily expensive whichever way you end up going. Not to mention the potential loss of all that liquid that you've worked on making.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's the Ferroday universal poppet. They are proud from the post by bit, definitely not flush, and this keeps happening. They're not in upside down or anything.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2018

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
How bad did I gently caress up today when I bought specialty grains for Mike "Tasty" McDole's Janet's Brown Ale?

I bought 1.25 pounds of 50L American SPECIAL ROASTED Malt instead of the required 40L Caramel that is called for in the recipe. I was distracted because my daughter was in the grain room with me and didn't notice the "Special Roasted" part of the label. Never used a special roasted malt before and didn't know how closely it was related to caramel/crystal.

I've got about $5 of grain in the bag, so if I need to go back and re-pull the grains I didn't have, then that's okay.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 9, 2018

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I am assuming by special roasted they mean it was dry roasted and not treated like they do crystal malts where they are essentially partially mashed inside the husk. So you would probably get a beer close in color but a bit more dry than intended.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

LaserWash posted:

How bad did I gently caress up today when I bought specialty grains for Mike "Tasty" McDole's Janet's Brown Ale?

I bought 1.25 pounds of 50L American SPECIAL ROASTED Malt instead of the required 40L Caramel that is called for in the recipe. I was distracted because my daughter was in the grain room with me and didn't notice the "Special Roasted" part of the label. Never used a special roasted malt before and didn't know how closely it was related to caramel/crystal.

I've got about $5 of grain in the bag, so if I need to go back and re-pull the grains I didn't have, then that's okay.

morebeer posted:

50° L Briess Malting - Special Roast malt is know for its intense biscuit like flavors that have been described as tasting like bran flakes and Sourdough bread. Similar to Victory Malt, which color is 28 Lovibund, Special Roast is even more intense and with a darker color that registers at 40 degrees on the Lovibund scale.

Use it at around 10% of your recipe to get the signature Sourdough flavor that many brewers appreciate in ambers, browns, porters and stouts. Use a smaller percentage to add the bran/biscuit complexity to IPA's, Marzen/Octoberfests, or any other style where you want to add some unique flavors and layered depth.

This malt is drum roasted and is included is the category of malts called Biscuit Malts.

So it's not much like a crystal malt, but it sounds like it would be good in a brown beer. You won't see much color difference, but the flavor is definitely going to change. Less sweetness to back up the base and roasted grains, more bready/biscuity flavor.

So you could roll with it, if you wanted to accept a slightly dryer beer. Or you could go back and rebuy your specialties if you wanted to stick to the recipe as designed.

Or you could brew it both ways, just to see which you like better. That's what I would do, personally.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, that's what I feared.

Think I'm just going to go back and do the recipe as intended. Never done Janet's Brown, but I hear so many good things, that I can't help but try it out.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Speaking of malts, I just got a bag of Admiral Malting's Feldblume. http://admiralmaltings.com/malt/feldblume/

I had one beer made with it at the malt house and it was awesome so I'm pretty excited to make a clean lager.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Michael Tonsmeire said something in a recent video about how chalk doesn't dissolve in purified water unless it has CO2. Sure enough, I've noticed that chalk added to my RO water doesn't dissolve and usually just settles at the bottom of my water bottles.

How are you guys dissolving chalk into your water as you create a water profile?

I've also noticed that Calcium Chloride when added to an envelope with other additions will tend to turn into a gooey mess.

So here's the question: How are you treating your water pre-mash/during mash.

I'm not a chemist (mathematician actually and can do the numbers just fine), so all this seems like voodoo to me. Seems to me, I'm going to start with the approach of adding the separate additions to the mash.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LaserWash posted:

How are you guys dissolving chalk into your water as you create a water profile?

I don't.

I use Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) for my salts. Both add calcium, which you want between 50 - 150 ppm of in almost every beer, mostly for yeast health. Chloride can impart increased mouthfeel, while sulfate can emphasize dryness, and some feel, bitterness. The secondary effects of these salts are in my opinion subtle, but if you're going to try for it keeping chloride and/or sulfate levels between 50 - 150 ppm seems to be a pretty safe guideline.

If said salts are not going to lower my pH to where I want it (5,2 - 5,3 for light colored beers, 5,3 - 5,4 for amber colored beer and 5,4 - 5,5 for dark beers) then I add lactic acid to the mash. Some prefer to add other acids, or use acidulated malts in their grain bills to make up the difference. If, instead, said salts are going to bring the pH down too much (if you've got soft water this will likely only happen with dark beers) I add baking soda to balance it. Using too much will make your beer salty.

How much to use for your water? Impossible for us to answer, go check out the brewersfriend.com mash chemistry and brewing water calculator or download Bru'n Water, then find a local water report for the values those tools will ask you to input. Also, keep these chemicals in separate zip-lock bags or other containers, and measure out additions as you brew. Some of them are reactive, as you've experienced. Good luck!

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 9, 2018

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Glottis posted:

Speaking of malts, I just got a bag of Admiral Malting's Feldblume. http://admiralmaltings.com/malt/feldblume/

I had one beer made with it at the malt house and it was awesome so I'm pretty excited to make a clean lager.

That looks really interesting. Let us know how it turns out. Clover would be an interesting flavor to pick up from malts instead of honey.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Hey brew thread, long time no brew. I got a new job so I can afford shiny new stainless, but have no time to use it.

Anyway, what's the current best practice on cocoa/cacao/etc in chocolate porters? I've got 20l ready to sit on something for a week before kegging.

Also, has anyone ever encountered cacao shells (or something similar at least)? My housemate brought some back from South America, and they're apparently used to make a sort of chocolate flavoured tea like beverage. I'm planning to just try some handfuls in a glass or two of stout to work out reasonable proportions, but just wanted to see if it had been done before.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Nanpa posted:

Hey brew thread, long time no brew. I got a new job so I can afford shiny new stainless, but have no time to use it.

Anyway, what's the current best practice on cocoa/cacao/etc in chocolate porters? I've got 20l ready to sit on something for a week before kegging.

Also, has anyone ever encountered cacao shells (or something similar at least)? My housemate brought some back from South America, and they're apparently used to make a sort of chocolate flavoured tea like beverage. I'm planning to just try some handfuls in a glass or two of stout to work out reasonable proportions, but just wanted to see if it had been done before.

Cacao nibs is what I've used (sounds similar to what you describe), you lay them out on a sheet and bake them at 220C until they start to smell like brownies. I want to say I used 125g for a 20L batch.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Good timing. I'm doing a Chocolate Black Ale tomorrow. I had a bar of bakers chocolate ready to go, but go talked out of it. I'm doing 3oz of Cocoa Powder in the mash, then some roasted nibs in secondary. I was cautioned to drop your target IBU from hop additions slightly because nibs induce some bitterness. Any input on that?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

robotsinmyhead posted:

Good timing. I'm doing a Chocolate Black Ale tomorrow. I had a bar of bakers chocolate ready to go, but go talked out of it. I'm doing 3oz of Cocoa Powder in the mash, then some roasted nibs in secondary. I was cautioned to drop your target IBU from hop additions slightly because nibs induce some bitterness. Any input on that?

Makes sense to me, traditionally prepared cocoa drinks I've tasted definitely had a noticeable bitterness to them, but I've never brewed with it. I agree with your better angel about the bakers chocolate too.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I have a feeling that even good baking bars have too much oil.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Chocolate Stout went went good. A little worried about under-bittering, but I'm just trusting the system here. Color was remarkably dark with such small amounts of dark grains.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

LaserWash posted:

Michael Tonsmeire said something in a recent video about how chalk doesn't dissolve in purified water unless it has CO2. Sure enough, I've noticed that chalk added to my RO water doesn't dissolve and usually just settles at the bottom of my water bottles.

I've also noticed that Calcium Chloride when added to an envelope with other additions will tend to turn into a gooey mess.

I'm not a chemist (mathematician actually and can do the numbers just fine), so all this seems like voodoo to me. Seems to me, I'm going to start with the approach of adding the separate additions to the mash.

Mix it up in club soda before adding it to your mash water, it works great.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
So this is kettle sour #4 in a row that has spontaneously fermented. I cleaned the everyloving piss out of the souring vessel, so I'm under the suspicion that the Goodbelly has yeast in it. However, the fermentation is really clean (no telltales of wild yeast / esters / etc). Not really complaining as it saves me $3-5 on yeast.

This batch came in under OG target at 1.037 and finished at 1.002. It's getting boiled wednesday with some lactose, graham flavoring, and toasted marshmallows secondaried on Lemon Zest because I have killed all my heroes and god is dead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Have you had better success with fruit in secondary? I usually pitch it in primary for my meads.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Edit: I'm a loving idiot edit can't read. Here's some totally unsolicited advice:

I always put whole blanched or alcohol sanitized fruit in first, peels and juice last. A lot of fruit flavor is just sugar. If it ferments completely, that flavor is gone. Therefore, my late addition philosophy is to ferment fruit sugar last if there goal is flavor. After that, it's up to the quality and choice of ingredients.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 16, 2018

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Liquid Communism posted:

Have you had better success with fruit in secondary? I usually pitch it in primary for my meads.

Primary is over already, either way. I've done fruit zest a couple times now and I've had a lot of success doing a secondary for 5-7 days. There's no sugar in the zest obviously, so I'm just leeching out color/flavor.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
BeerSmith 3 update on iOS appears to have been free. Doesn’t look like much changed though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to make a metheglyn, I'm thinking with the rosemary or thyme I've got growing outside. With fresh herbs, should I add them at the same time as the yeast? A few days into primary? After racking to secondary?

Trader Joe's had 3 lb cans of their "mostly mesquite" honey for $10/can... I bought one and I'm actually thinking I might go get two more so I can do one rosemary, one thyme, and one ginger + grains of paradise.

Edit: Sir Kenelm Digby seems to largely lean toward boiling the herbs in water first, then straining it and dissolving the honey into this water, but he warns:

quote:

I conceive, that bitter and strong herbs, as Rosemary, Bayes, Sweet-marjoram, Thyme, and the like, do conserve Meathe the better and longer, being as it were in stead of hops. But neither must they, no more than Clove-gilly-flowers, be too much boiled: For the Volatil pure Spirit flies away very quickly. Therefore rather infuse them.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 15, 2018

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I got some szechuan peppercorns in from Penzey's today. I've done a beer before with black peppercorns and orange marmalade; I'm thinking I will do these szechuan peppercorns with some homemade lemon marmalade, just for grins.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I tasted the keg of mixed fermentation second runnings (from a quadrupel) and after another month and a half or more it no longer tastes of THP and is a little more sour. Which is fantastic and I can't wait to put it on. It will need to wait until I free up some space as the sour saison went in today as well. Tastes a little of grapefruit, but that's the hops. The yeast gave plenty of character and dry hopping after a little more than a day worked out really well to give me an early stall on pH drop. Really looking forward to this, and I wish I'd tried it much earlier.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: Sir Kenelm Digby seems to largely lean toward boiling the herbs in water first, then straining it and dissolving the honey into this water, but he warns:

I would at least steep them in 180F+ water to get a good extraction of the herbs' flavors. I would definitely remove them like you would for steeping tea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd like to make a metheglyn, I'm thinking with the rosemary or thyme I've got growing outside. With fresh herbs, should I add them at the same time as the yeast? A few days into primary? After racking to secondary?

Trader Joe's had 3 lb cans of their "mostly mesquite" honey for $10/can... I bought one and I'm actually thinking I might go get two more so I can do one rosemary, one thyme, and one ginger + grains of paradise.

I usually do herbs in secondary, since they don't bring sugars that can kick fermentation back off. Rosemary I haven't worked with, but from what I've read it does wonders as an aromatic. i kinda want to do a rosemary/lemon zest now... maybe once I rack off my current batch into secondary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I use the Trader Joes three pounds of honey a fair amount. It's decent, but you get what you pay for.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Dear Penthouse Home Brewing Thread, I never thought it'd happen to me:

The chocolate stout I brewed on Saturday isn't fermenting. 1.080 OG. I pitched a newish packet of Mangrove Jack Empire Ale Yeast, which I used successfully 2 weeks ago, PLUS the recycled trub yeast of that same beer and Monday night added another packet of US-05 in desperation. I've never had a stalled fermentation before. My only option right now seems to be oxygenating the wort again. Any other input?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
What temperature is it at and have you taken a gravity? Something would have to be seriously wrong for no fermentation to be happening after pitching that much yeast. I would probably lean towards rousing the yeast gently with a spoon and making sure your fermentor is at 68* at this point.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Josh Wow posted:

What temperature is it at and have you taken a gravity? Something would have to be seriously wrong for no fermentation to be happening after pitching that much yeast. I would probably lean towards rousing the yeast gently with a spoon and making sure your fermentor is at 68* at this point.

I took post-boil OG reading right at 1.080 and the fermenter is sitting in my kitchen which is 68-71 all day. I've jostled the fermenter a couple of times already and it didn't seem to do anything.

If it's not active when I get home from work tonight, I'll take another reading.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I took post-boil OG reading right at 1.080 and the fermenter is sitting in my kitchen which is 68-71 all day. I've jostled the fermenter a couple of times already and it didn't seem to do anything.

If it's not active when I get home from work tonight, I'll take another reading.

Here's hoping you just have a leak in the gasket and it's actually fermenting. With the extra yeast from the previous fermentation that should be plenty of yeast, but if it wasn't happy yeast it may just take a bit. Really, the US05 should have kicked things into gear if that other yeast wasn't healthy.

I think you're just having a crappy month for brewing. Must be something wrong with August.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

Here's hoping you just have a leak in the gasket and it's actually fermenting. With the extra yeast from the previous fermentation that should be plenty of yeast, but if it wasn't happy yeast it may just take a bit. Really, the US05 should have kicked things into gear if that other yeast wasn't healthy.

I think you're just having a crappy month for brewing. Must be something wrong with August.

You know, you might have a point. I noticed when I opened the fermenter to pitch the US-05, the lid wasn't nearly as difficult to remove as my other buckets - I usually resort to a lid wrench - so there's a chance that's the culprit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

You know, you might have a point. I noticed when I opened the fermenter to pitch the US-05, the lid wasn't nearly as difficult to remove as my other buckets - I usually resort to a lid wrench - so there's a chance that's the culprit.

Have you taken a gravity reading where it's at now? I think that is what they were asking for above, rather than the starting gravity.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

rockcity posted:

Have you taken a gravity reading where it's at now? I think that is what they were asking for above, rather than the starting gravity.

Yeah this. Bubbles are not a measure of fermentation.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
OK Gravity Reading came out to 1.030, which is down 50pts since Saturday, so it's definitely fermenting despite no bubbles, no kreusen, and no alcohol smell.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I wonder if the chocolate somehow acted as a defoamer / surface tension breaker, so the krauesen never built up.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I suppose that's possible. There's a LITTLE fat in the cocoa (1% of 4oz which is ~1g of fat in 5.5gal), but it's not obvious enough - there's no telltales of an oil slick like the last time I tried using Coconut.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I suppose that's possible. There's a LITTLE fat in the cocoa (1% of 4oz which is ~1g of fat in 5.5gal), but it's not obvious enough - there's no telltales of an oil slick like the last time I tried using Coconut.

The other thing to remember is not all yeasts are the same, and not all grists react the same way. Anecdotally, I can recall doing the same recipe with two different yeasts (1028 and 1968 from Wyeast) treating a London Porter very differently. The 1028 had little bubbles and a lot of them. The 1968 looked very flat with almost no sign of a krausen. There was CO2, and my vessel was well sealed, but just visually it would have concerned me.

Then there were my idiot moments. I can recall probably posting in this thread the first time I used 3711 because of the strange gooey yeast rafts it likes to make thinking it was infected. Yeasts are strange. :shrug:

At least you're likely to have a chocolate imperial stout at the end of this one (it will probably have terrible head retention, but I bet it tastes good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I only post my foibles here because I have a Hell Job that is super boring and I'm left alone for hours at a time to worry about the things that are or AREN'T happening at home. I hope you'll all forgive me. My problems are my own.

PS that Chocolate Stout is going in bombers to sit until it's cold outside. After that it will get center-poured into elegant goblets around campfires while we complain about how goddamn cold it is outside.