Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yano is for the children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

coconono posted:

Yano is for the children

Yano's for everyone!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My favorite call during Tanahashi/Ibushi:

"A half hour of brutality...

OHHHHH JESUS CHRIST!"

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
It's funny you guys bring that up. I'm about three weeks away from my wife having our first child, a boy, and I'd be lying if I hadn't spent a weird amount of time dreaming that he'll fondly look back on his time growing up and watching NJPW matches with his dad.

I just pray his little friends aren't that in to WWE. Or that at the very least WWE turns a corner and I wouldn't be as embarrassed to have him watch it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Demtor posted:

It's funny you guys bring that up. I'm about three weeks away from my wife having our first child, a boy, and I'd be lying if I hadn't spent a weird amount of time dreaming that he'll fondly look back on his time growing up and watching NJPW matches with his dad.

I just pray his little friends aren't that in to WWE. Or that at the very least WWE turns a corner and I wouldn't be as embarrassed to have him watch it.

https://www.theonion.com/cool-dad-raising-daughter-on-media-that-will-put-her-en-1819572981

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Speaking of maybe losing the briefcase

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/1028893259190476800

if they do Okada/Tanahashi and Ibushi/Omega at KOPW it sure would mean that the Dome main event would be up in the air

hes dropping it to naito.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Remember when Liger was going around wrestlers' bedrooms at night and trying to pin them while they slept, and Tanahashi kicked out at (I think) 1? :laugh:

Edit: This one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gS2nSn42Ag

It's not just that he kicks out 1, he's also the only one sleeping on his and not on his back. Keeping his shoulders off the ground even in his sleep? Just further proof that he is the Ace.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Hahaha, nice. Yes, I get that there are parenting pitfalls with sharing/forcing your hobbies/interests. Much to consider.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

I'm interested in watching this year's G1 with my daughter to see if she likes Japanese wrestling, does NJPW World have the shows organized easily in chronological order or does anyone have a list with links so I know the order to watch them in?

NJPWext helps improve the navigability of New Japan's site by quite a bit.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

My favorite call during Tanahashi/Ibushi:

"A half hour of brutality...

OHHHHH JESUS CHRIST!"

My favorite is either Kevin Kelly’s “dragon suplex! Dragon suplex! *like a small child* He kicked ouuut!”

Or Charlton going “HE’S GETTING UP!” as Ibushi rose for the second High Fly Flow. He’s so bewildered by Ibushi even having the energy to get to his feet.

Honorable mention, after the match was done, Rocky just going “so what do you guys think of the majesty of professional wrestling?” And the end run of Kevin Kelly being like “I’ve worked shows with 70,000 people, I’ve worked WrestleMania, but this is the most fun I’ve ever had in 28 years of doing this” and just going down the line of people to thank for allowing something like the G1 to happen. Immediately followed by Rocky going “wait did you say 28 years?” And it taking Kelly like ten seconds to realize his career coincides with the existence of the G1.

And right at the end, when he thanked Chris for doing the translations and stuff, the way he phrased it made it sound like Charlton’s probably going to be something of a staple of the English desk in the future - I imagine only having to travel once a month or so, a lot of the time not even more than a couple hours out of Tokyo at most, makes it easy for a guy who lives there to maintain a day job and raise a family and write more puro books. Which is great, because he’s got so much in his head about the people and places and events that really helps fill in blind spots for people.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Y'all are making me think I need to go back and watch the main event with the English commentary

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Phenix Rising posted:

Y'all are making me think I need to go back and watch the main event with the English commentary

Do it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

Kevin Kelly is great, and at their worst, Rocky and Chris don't take away from his match calling. I happen to think they're a lot of fun, though.

Granted, I've defended Don Callis more than once in the other thread as well, but as someone who has been ambivalent at best to him for 20 years, I enjoy his color commentary for the most part.

Anyway, as Cameo pointed out there was a lot of interesting and poignant and emotional moments during commentary last night. My example was just so sudden and visceral. Everyone involved in the G1 were spent and worn out, then just out of nowhere Kevin is brought immediately back into the moment from Kota's double knees to Tana's chest, and they didn't slow back down again until the end. Just good, good stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember when people thought Kevin Kelly was the shits in WWE, and I was one of 'em.

Clearly WWE isnt a good environment for people who openly care about wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah sorry, I don't trust anyone that enjoys Don Callis on commentary. I'm willing to check out Kevin Kelly and Chris if they do the next major show.

one thing I'd wish NJPWworld would do is add the post match comments after the match when they clip down the matches. With the subtitles.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

coconono posted:

yeah sorry, I don't trust anyone that enjoys Don Callis on commentary. I'm willing to check out Kevin Kelly and Chris if they do the next major show.

one thing I'd wish NJPWworld would do is add the post match comments after the match when they clip down the matches. With the subtitles.

Hey, I get it. I think he's sucked at just about everything for as long as I've been aware of him. He's better than Striker or Corrino or JBL, at the very least. Low bar to clear, but as long as they're not actively taking away from the matches they're supposed to be calling, I can deal with it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Callis is too indie wrestling for NJPW imo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I've always had a soft spot for Callis because teenage-me loved him as The Jackyl. But yeah, his commentary is okay at best. He comes off as too much of a try-hard sometimes and often sounds phony? I don't know what it is. It kind of sounds like he's commentating in the style of a commentator from 15 years ago or something and hasn't updated his style with the times. At best he and Kelly can be a fun team and at worst I can just ignore him but, so far, he hasn't reached Cole or Coach levels at their worst for me.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I much prefer Striker over Callis. I'd take a guy who overdoes it a little with enthusiasm and smarky/insider terms than a dude who's talks about himself as if he is wrestling talent and acts horny for women. I thought Kevin Kelly and Rocky (who is mostly a sounding board for Kevin) was an improvement.

I really hope Chris Charlton is able to stick around. He might not add the kind of colour commentary that you'd expect from a second commentator, but he is probably the only other decent commentator that they've had. If they're serious about expanding into the English speaking market, they're going to have to get some full time Japan-based English announcers on board.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

striker is the worst to ever do it, including all of the super lovely guys that lasted 1 show, or that king of the ring guest guy. he's so bad. i'm going to pretend you're lying.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he's so bad i had to type that before reading the rest of your post. i'm sorry

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uh oh

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

HOLY SHIZZ

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he's quite bad

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i didn't say he was good, just better than Callis.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Callis has gotten better over the past year and is passable. Striker is bad to awful to intolerable depending on the day.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1029604274324611073

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Man King of Pro Wrestling is going to be great if we get Okada/Tanahashi there

Think we get White/Tanahashi at Long Beach?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good way to continue Okada's arc and get them back to even, since Okada's one up from Dontaku.

Assuming Tanahashi wins, which he should. Okada winning would be bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No Tana don't risk it it's not worth it :ohdear:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thought that one of either Tanahashi vs. Okada for the contract or Omega vs. Ishii for the title would have to be the semi-main at KOPW is such a weird thought.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KOPW is in theory a treading water kinda show but that is a stacked top end, even if it’s super unlikely plans will change

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's another thought.

G1 Supercard is gonna be a big event and NJPW's gonna need to bring a big match for it. But G1 Supercard is gonna be like a week removed from Sakura Genesis, which is traditionally main evented by the NJC winner vs. the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

So what're they gonna do? Is the NJC winner next year gonna maybe pick the IC Title? Or is NJPW gonna have an IC Title defense at Supercard, maybe? Or would they just do two IWGP Heavyweight Championship defenses within a week of each other?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

Here's another thought.

G1 Supercard is gonna be a big event and NJPW's gonna need to bring a big match for it. But G1 Supercard is gonna be like a week removed from Sakura Genesis, which is traditionally main evented by the NJC winner vs. the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

So what're they gonna do? Is the NJC winner next year gonna maybe pick the IC Title? Or is NJPW gonna have an IC Title defense at Supercard, maybe? Or would they just do two IWGP Heavyweight Championship defenses within a week of each other?

Have they announced when Sakura Genesis will be? Note that NJPW only officially confirmed Wrestle Kingdom recently, which I personally read as meaning the other dates are still TBD. Don’t assume.

And look at the name of the event - G1 Supercard. That would lead me to believe it’s more an NJPW event than ROH. That is not done carelessly.

I think it’s reasonable to believe Sakura Genesis gets shifted and the focus could go to the MSG G1 Supercard, but I’m not going to assume anything until official.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also NJPW haven't really had any issues selling Sumo Hall tickets with no card announced and MSG is already sold out so they don't need to be too concerned about getting the card out there.

The bigger concern would be what to do with the Fighting Spirit Unleashed/KOPW cards.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1029706645805441025

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I would love getting some chris charlton commentary on historic matches, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/pgxdjxess/status/1029365662437658625?s=19

This little kid DJ is posting a bunch of NJPW remixes