Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

I hope we actually get a character creator instead of playing prebuilt avatars like the first RDR or the largely identical skinny dweebs of GTA Online.
The online characters they've shown so far look a lot more lacking in character than the singleplayer characters. They seem to cut to one in the gameplay trailer, and it's jarring.

Rumor is the GTA Online system is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

The online characters they've shown so far look a lot more lacking in character than the singleplayer characters. They seem to cut to one in the gameplay trailer, and it's jarring.

Rumor is the GTA Online system is back.

The only glimpse we can be certain that we have of possible RDR Online character models are the images of the online preorder bonuses.

Everything else, every rumor, is just redditor/GTA Forums speculation and worth nothing. We only know when we know.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

So the epilogue is Arthur enjoying his retirement when Jack walks in and plugs him?

Fucker had it coming

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just wish John Marston was the protagonist and not this generic bandit.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Those special editions are dumb as poo poo.

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

Sioux posted:

Isn't he in the new game? Who knows what they will do with how the story goes and who is going to be playable like the first Red Dead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sioux posted:

John Marston looked plenty generic until you actually played the game.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Over There posted:

Those special editions are dumb as poo poo.

Completely agree. Nothing is motivating me to preorder outside of playing immediately upon release.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Ended up going with the standard X version. I dont think Ill miss 1 mission and 1 hideout, whatever that is, and getting some stuff early. Their games are massive enough already.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Tercio posted:

Completely agree. Nothing is motivating me to preorder outside of playing immediately upon release.

that's a good thing imo. let people pay extra for novelty things rather than sincerely expect the majority of the playerbase to literally buy the full priced game twice right off the bat like :dice:

Sioux
May 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

John Marston looked plenty generic until you actually played the game.

But I'm emotionally invested in him at least. Why not start there for RDR2?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Sioux posted:

looks like you're going to have to try something new but we're all pulling for you, you brave little soldier

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sioux posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying you need to be emotionally invested in him from the first gameplay footage for it to count?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Im cool with anyone waiting for PC in spite of it not being announced but they should have to sign a contract promising that if it never actually comes out on PC they dont spend the next 8 years complaining about Rockstar not releasing the PC port every time somebody mentions RDR

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm going to be spending a lot of time playing online poker in this cowboy sim.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if its anything like the first game idk how it won't constantly end in a gunfight

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

zelah posted:

I’m torn between getting this for PS4Pro or XB1X. I don’t really care about online, so it’s kinda down to which it’ll look better on. Is it safe to say that it’ll look better on the X? Or has rockstar not really done enough this generation to say one way or another

Every new game looks better on the X. It's significantly more powerful than the Pro.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying you need to be emotionally invested in him from the first gameplay footage for it to count?

I'm saying I don't care about whoever is the protagonist of RDR2. I'm saying I do care about Marston. He is in the RDR universe, hell he is in the Dutch van der Linde gang, why not write RDR2 with him in mind as protagonist? And of course I will get to know generic cowboy #2 better once I start playing RDR2, just... why did Rockstar not use Marston?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point you get to play him. just look how the last one ended. iirc even the first game had you play buffalo soldier and shadow wolf at certain points.

also, one of the single most impressive things about GTA5's singleplayer was the transition from Franklin to Michael so maybe they'll do something similar

but even if they don't and you're seriously asking, the most obvious reason is to give the writers some extra wiggle room.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to hogtie people and put them on railroad tracks, cackling madly while I do so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sioux posted:

I'm saying I don't care about whoever is the protagonist of RDR2. I'm saying I do care about Marston. He is in the RDR universe, hell he is in the Dutch van der Linde gang, why not write RDR2 with him in mind as protagonist? And of course I will get to know generic cowboy #2 better once I start playing RDR2, just... why did Rockstar not use Marston?

Probably because we already know exactly how John Marston's story ends, which would remove a lot of dramatic tension for his story?

It's the classic prequel problem. If you already know how the story ends, there's going to be less investment in seeing what happens. You could never put John Marston in danger in Red Dead Redemption 2 because we know he has to survive everything just fine and has years ahead of him.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably because we already know exactly how John Marston's story ends, which would remove a lot of dramatic tension for his story?

It's the classic prequel problem. If you already know how the story ends, there's going to be less investment in seeing what happens. You could never put John Marston in danger in Red Dead Redemption 2 because we know he has to survive everything just fine and has years ahead of him.

I absolutely agree with you, which makes it a bit odd of Rockstar to put John Marston in danger in the trailer for RDR2.

I mean, I know its supposed to elicit an oooh theres that dude I remember! reaction, which is fine, its a trailer for a prequel. It just seems there would be more obvious ways of doing the nudge and wink than a situation that we already know doesnt kill the guy.

Yes, I clearly have thought about this too much, what of it?

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 16, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cultural Marxist posted:

I absolutely agree with you, which makes it a bit odd of Rockstar to put John Marston in danger in the trailer for RDR2.

I mean, I know its supposed to elicit an oooh theres that dude I remember! reaction, which is fine, its a trailer for a prequel. It just seems there would be more obvious ways of doing the nudge and wink than a situation that we already know doesnt kill the guy.

Yes, I clearly have thought about this too much, what of it?

You can still have dramatic moments for story purposes even if the audience knows it can't end badly, since that's in service to the story. The problem with prequel tension is if you make the entire story about someone or something with a foregone conclusion.

Take Star Wars, for instance. The prequels cover the rise of Darth Vader, but we already know what happens. Anakin's turn to the dark side and mutilation on Mustafar could have been a lot more dramatic if we didn't already go into The Phantom Menace knowing that the annoying little kid was going to become the bad guy. The three movies were just building up to something we already knew would happen and everyone in the audience knew exactly how Obi-Wan and Anakin's duel would end. It doesn't shock anyone and just becomes about the spectacle of seeing all the special effects in a lightsaber duel.

On the other hand, Rogue One is able to be a prequel that still has dramatic tension by covering characters we've never seen before. The situation (stealing the Death Star plans) has a foregone conclusion, but we don't know what happens to any of the protagonists until we watch the movie. You can still maintain drama despite knowing that they have to succeed at their mission because you don't know if they'll make it out alive.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I'm just saying I don't care about whoever is the new protagonist of these new stories. I'm saying I do care about Curly, Larry and Moe (The Three Stooges). They are established characters in film, appearing in dozens of tales of wit and whimsy, so why not write every film with them in mind as the protagonists? And of course I will get to know generic film star #2 better once I watch other films, just... why did Hollywood not use Curly, Larry and Moe (The Three Stooges)?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Every new game looks better on the X. It's significantly more powerful than the Pro.

That still doesn't account for how this game is being developed, and there isn't any way to answer this question until the game is actually out on both systems

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kind of weird but you can't pre-order physical on Amazon right now? Same with Spider-Man apparently.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

^burtle posted:

Kind of weird but you can't pre-order physical on Amazon right now? Same with Spider-Man apparently.

Amazon is feuding with game publishers over pre-order discounts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ElwoodCuse posted:

That still doesn't account for how this game is being developed, and there isn't any way to answer this question until the game is actually out on both systems

Nah, there's zero chance it looks better on the Pro.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Powershift posted:

Amazon is feuding with game publishers over pre-order discounts.

Well poo poo, I must have missed the e-mail.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah, there's zero chance it looks better on the Pro.

It'll probably look the same. The X should make everything look better, but so many games don't look any better on it. I don't know if it's developers not using what is available or what.

I'll be surprised if there's any serious difference in terms of looks.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they're both going to look the same after spending :10bux: in the saloon

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tercio posted:

Everything else, every rumor, is just redditor/GTA Forums speculation and worth nothing. We only know when we know.
Except that's not really true.

We know a lot of the leaks including the leaked map are some variation of the map were real because they were later verified. I mean you're right in the sense that the leaks and rumors shouldn't be considered binding absolutes, things change. But we do have information that is at least credible outside of the officially released info.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
From what I found looking into Assassins Creed Origins, it looked a little better on X but nothing substantial. At least Ill have a new game to play on this dumb console.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Except that's not really true.

We know a lot of the leaks including the leaked map are some variation of the map were real because they were later verified. I mean you're right in the sense that the leaks and rumors shouldn't be considered binding absolutes, things change. But we do have information that is at least credible outside of the officially released info.

The entire map has been verified? Can you link that to me please?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Leaked map: http://i.imgur.com/sbhTx5T.jpg

From this thread: https://gtaforums.com/topic/871493-mapping-red-dead-redemption-2-landmark-analysis-thread/?page=86

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

And that thread equals verification? Like official word?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tercio posted:

And that thread equals verification? Like official word?

No.

There has been no official word. The map itself is based on one from Trusted Reviews, but about 2 fifths of it are imagined additions to that one, and the original it is based on isn't 100% for sure real.

The bottom left bit, from Thieves Landing down, is completely speculation. We think you'll revisit Armadillo, and one or two other places in the previous game, and some people have read that to mean the entire previous game's landscape is in this new game. Someone is stretching with this map to imagine how that would look. It could very easily be that those older sections are just for cutscenes, or more likely used in the same way GTA 5 has a map for the prelogue that then never shows up again and isn't reachable.

There is some real wishful thinking in that thread. With people being certain that the map is going to be way larger than GTA V's map, for example. Which is pretty much ridiculous and not even slightly feasible.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 17, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I really dig the first RDR but I have concerns because this is a Rockstar game and their games have often come across to me as designed in a vacuum and they have the money to make their games look and sound very impressive, but always have weird design decisions and rarely evolve. GTA5 improved on some aspects but it still feels like you're controlling a ten-ton bowling ball instead of a character.

What I'm saying is if I have to still tap a button to make the character sprint, goddamn it. It's been a dumb way to control a character since GTA 3 and in modern games putting any kind of maintained movement control to a face button on a controller is dumb because then you have to choose between running and camera control.

Rant over!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I swear I saw that map years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

No.

There has been no official word. The map itself is based on one from Trusted Reviews, but about 2 fifths of it are imagined additions to that one, and the original it is based on isn't 100% for sure real.

The bottom left bit, from Thieves Landing down, is completely speculation. We think you'll revisit Armadillo, and one or two other places in the previous game, and some people have read that to mean the entire previous game's landscape is in this new game. Someone is stretching with this map to imagine how that would look. It could very easily be that those older sections are just for cutscenes, or more likely used in the same way GTA 5 has a map for the prelogue that then never shows up again and isn't reachable.

There is some real wishful thinking in that thread. With people being certain that the map is going to be way larger than GTA V's map, for example. Which is pretty much ridiculous and not even slightly feasible.

Thanks! Your reply was basically what I was getting at.

Nothing is confirmed, everything is speculation until it comes from Rockstar or a journalist with direct access to the game.