Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

FirstAidKite posted:

As far as the FNaF series goes, I just wanna know what the gently caress was the deal with the box

That does get addressed in the interview. Although Scott doesn’t tell us explicitly what’s in there, he does admit the contents changed over time. The latest book The Fourth Closet also strongly suggests what the contents may be, although the novels are meant to be a parallel AU to the games instead of a 1:1 retelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the game theory videos that keeps showing up in my recommendations says "WE WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG!" regarding that time Scott explicitly told them they were wrong, something they've been bitter about ever since. Also a month before that video he apparently released one that straight up says "FNAF CAN'T BE SOLVED". I don't know if the dude is as bitter as he seems but god drat arguing with the creator about their own canon is something else

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Danaru posted:

One of the game theory videos that keeps showing up in my recommendations says "WE WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG!" regarding that time Scott explicitly told them they were wrong, something they've been bitter about ever since. Also a month before that video he apparently released one that straight up says "FNAF CAN'T BE SOLVED". I don't know if the dude is as bitter as he seems but god drat arguing with the creator about their own canon is something else

surprising number of people are willing to do this and it has never stopped confusing the poo poo out of me

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Coolguye posted:

surprising number of people are willing to do this and it has never stopped confusing the poo poo out of me

It's what you do when you don't consume any actual literature but have heard about the death of the author.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FirstAidKite posted:

As far as the FNaF series goes, I just wanna know what the gently caress was the deal with the box

i kinda liked it when it was with the first 2 where it was still sorta mysterious. now its just if doctor frankenstein was serial killer who got off by killing kids in hazadoz Reagan era party animal suits and his one kid is probably a robot.

exquisite tea posted:

FNAF is not really my thing but I applaud the creator's success and his continual ownage of the pathetic Game Theory guy.

same. i have poo poo nerves so its not my type of game. but the guy is cool and i am glad he made a gently caress ton of money.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

1stGear posted:

It's what you do when you don't consume any actual literature but have heard about the death of the author.

And this is why death of the author is one of the most egotistical and dumbass concepts ever

It’s called FANFICTION

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Black August posted:

And this is why death of the author is one of the most egotistical and dumbass concepts ever

It’s called FANFICTION

quote:

Alucard knew this day would come, the monster truck rally. Alucard put on his beer hat and put on his favorite shirt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm giving the PS4 dead by daylight a shot for a bit if anyone is interested. PSN is roxormancer

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can someone explain why We Happy Few is so bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

it's sixty bucks for a threadbare procedural survival game with lackluster gameplay and a story that utterly wastes its premise

it's just one of those titles that fell to pieces as soon as it moved past the marketing phase

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't say anything about the gameplay but it's mostly that all the hype and presentation of the game was a huge bait and switch. They present an interesting setting and concept and the trailers were very cinematic, and showed some gameplay that involved fleeing from the happiness police or whatever. Then everyone found out that all of that was the prologue and the game in practice is actually some survival sim for some reason.

Also it's in early access hell I think, which just suggests to me that they have no idea what they want to do. They had a story conceit in mind and then it feels like they decided what kind of game they actually wanted later, and put it out in early access so they could get some actual money to buy time to figure out what they were making.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

There's a fair chance no one has actually played it to tell you because it's one of the worst marketing disasters I've seen + launched at $60.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Glagha posted:

I can't say anything about the gameplay but it's mostly that all the hype and presentation of the game was a huge bait and switch. They present an interesting setting and concept and the trailers were very cinematic, and showed some gameplay that involved fleeing from the happiness police or whatever. Then everyone found out that all of that was the prologue and the game in practice is actually some survival sim for some reason.

Also it's in early access hell I think, which just suggests to me that they have no idea what they want to do. They had a story conceit in mind and then it feels like they decided what kind of game they actually wanted later, and put it out in early access so they could get some actual money to buy time to figure out what they were making.

You can straight up turn off the survival elements and have a bioshocky experience. I'm enjoying We Happy Few immensely so far. Also it's out of early development as a finished release with a full story now.

E: v no, Compulsion was just bought by microsoft this month or last.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Wasn't We Happy Few that ambitious indie game that got bought by Gearbox and they vastly overstepped trying to make it a AAA title? Kinda like No Man's Sky.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
It wasn't bought by Gearbox but they were brought in to publish it so you're still thinking of the right game.

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 14, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dead by Daylight makes me feel guilty because I keep forgetting its pairing me against new players and I keep dropping higher-tier tactics on them :frog: I had a game where every survivor jumped through a window onto my knife at least once. Plus they keep falling for me letting them heal while stalking, so once they're at full health I can hit EW3 and one-shot them anyway

On the other hand for some reason I can never remember that R1 is the "interact with literally everything" button so sometimed I'll just awkwardly stand in front of a closet trying to remember how to open it :cripes: also the controller is taking some getting used to.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey someone spoil the We Happy Few story please. Not the beginning elements. The actual good stuff.

Is there good stuff?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bogart posted:

Hey someone spoil the We Happy Few story please. Not the beginning elements. The actual good stuff.

Is there good stuff?

I haven't played in a while, but it looks like there's now coherent stories for the playable characters instead of just being a survival sandbox. The last time I played there was the start of Arthur's main quest, but it was incomplete.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bogart posted:

Is there good stuff?

Every time I've read something where they talk about the background of it all, it's always 'they do happy drugs to hide the pain/forget something horrible they had to do'. I always assume it's that they killed all their kids to 'save' them. It usually is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Every time I've read something where they talk about the background of it all, it's always 'they do happy drugs to hide the pain/forget something horrible they had to do'. I always assume it's that they killed all their kids to 'save' them. It usually is.

You're half right.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

You're half right.

They killed half the children ?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

it's sixty bucks for a threadbare procedural survival game with lackluster gameplay and a story that utterly wastes its premise

it's just one of those titles that fell to pieces as soon as it moved past the marketing phase

your right other than the story, i think the story is pretty good, the issue is the gameplay is too "open" for its own good, so every quest is loving fetch quest.

Ferrous posted:

They killed half the children ?

the germans say they will leave(they are losing to the soviets and need the manpower) if they can take all the kids 13 and younger with them, some people say gently caress but are killed by the townspeople and the kids are all sent off to germany, the game never explains what happens to the kids, its implied that germany is losing really bad and needs more population and soldiers(even if they are kids) also as hostages. the entire town, including the player character are complicit in the act. there is a bunch of other stuff too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/review-we-happy-few/

"We Happy Few Imagines A World Where People Haven't Played Bioshock"

e: in fairness, harddrive is a satire site, but still

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 14, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bogart posted:

yeah pretty much. the issue is it plays like a really awful dishonored(control wise).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogart posted:

drat that's brutal, hahahah.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lol wow. We had the original doom decades ago, why make more fps right

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Lol wow. We had the original doom decades ago, why make more fps right
bad game buyer alert! bad game buyer alert!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There was a horror game that either came with a pair or offered a coupon for a complementary pair of underpants, and I can't remember what game it was, but I feel like they were Big Dog underpants, and it's really bugging me because Google is failing me, and now I'm just looking at images of dogs wearing diapers and humorous Big Dog t-shirts.

"Big Dogs Eat Barkfast" indeed.

catching up with this thread and you just sparked a memory of something I hadn't thought about in literally 20 years.

*digs through closet*

The biggest horror is that the coupon is gone :stare:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 15, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basticle posted:

catching up with this thread and you just sparked a memory of something I hadn't thought about in literally 20 years.

*digs through closet*

Did you buy it new?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Did you buy it new?

yeah, when it first came out

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 15, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Relin posted:

I have Agents of Mayhem, I cannot dispute.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Relin posted:

i'll do one better and say i backed the loving game, at a pretty high level too. i think with enough patches it can be salvaged but gently caress what a mess. what sucks is it genuinly has some cool and good story ideas and mechanics. if you read some of the dev blogs, you can tell they struggled with the vision of the game a bunch. in the beginning and for a bunch of its life, it was a straight up rogue like. but people(including me) complained that it kinda squandered the setting, so they added more and more story until they added a campaign but they refused to remove the survival because they felt that it would ruin they immersion( its starving society on the brink so i can understand) but they allowed for a alot of difficulty customization. one of the biggest problems is they never got rid of the "random" map generator. so maps are still weird jigsaw pieces with weird ways they can gently caress you over.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have Agents of Mayhem, I cannot dispute.

that sucks. I wanted to like that game so much but got is it meh.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basticle posted:

*digs through closet*

Hey, I used to keep my weed paraphernalia in that box. Good times.

No free underwear tho.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, it just kinda sounds like We Happy Few should've never been made in its current form. It could've been a competent survival based roguelike, people wanted a Bioshock style thriller, and we got some weird chimera that's barely able to support its own weight.

At first I found the promise of a complete change in direction admirable, and figured it'd be more fondly remembered than fellow vaguely-horror kickstarter Hello Neighbor in the end. But now I'm seeing why you don't just make a huge change all of a sudden like that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey gang! It's been awhile but hopefully you remember the horror review series I do around here every October. Well, I'm starting early this year by streaming some of the games I'll be reviewing soon. Join me here right now for a look at Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn and whatever else I can get to in the next three hours.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Basticle posted:

*digs through closet*

Holy poo poo thank you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My favourite "We Happy Few" thing is watching people comment like "I refunded this when it was only worth £10 and its now a £40 title? I got screwed".

No buddy, you didn't get screwed, you just don't understand the difference between perceived value and actual value.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Basticle posted:

*digs through closet*

Do you remember what the prize in the sweepstakes was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
From what I've seen and read, We Happy Few has a good game at its nucleus, but it's brought down by the half-assed survival gameplay, a lack of focus, and a lot of bugs.