Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One thing that made all the difference for me:

Motivation is bullshit. You can't sit around waiting to get or feel motivated. Motivation is absolute bullshit.

You need determination.If you attack each day with determination you're not waiting on something to happen to motivate you. Determination is a state of mind. Motivation is a mood swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
gently caress it. Since we're encouraging each other, here goes.
Height: 6'2"
Weight (current): 245 :(
Weight (goal by year-end): 215
Weight (stretch goal): 205

I've been massively overworked, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I run my own business from my house, and there's very little physical exercise built-in anymore. I've been 230-235 for several years, and suddenly put on another ten pounds in the past 2 months. That's gotta go!

I used to work on boats doing sampling and whatnot 200+days per year. I ate like a horse, and was about 255#. Switched to low-carb in 2009, and proceeded to drop 50# in 6 months. Then I developed an egg allergy which totally hosed up my morning ritual of 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon/sausage. Breakfast became an English muffin and peanut butter and jam. Then 2 of the same. I still dont eat much pasta, potatoes, bread, or rice at dinner, but I'm eating too many carbs for breakfast and lunch. Zero carbs via liquids, either (don't drink, no soda, no fruit juice). I just need to back down on portion sizes and get back into some form of exercise. I've got a a bike and trails right behind my house, so zero excuses. Hell, just walking for 30 minutes around lunch would help a bunch. I've got a Strava, but never use it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

One thing that made all the difference for me:

Motivation is bullshit. You can't sit around waiting to get or feel motivated. Motivation is absolute bullshit.

You need determination.If you attack each day with determination you're not waiting on something to happen to motivate you. Determination is a state of mind. Motivation is a mood swing.

Totally. However I need mood swings sometimes so I will be popping motivation all over my posts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Totally. However I need mood swings sometimes so I will be popping motivation all over my posts.

Motivation is not the worst thing but you're never going to change your life with motivational moments.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Currently 30, 5'10 175lbs, up from 155 a year or so ago. Was doing full crazy keto for awhile and went ftom 195-155 pretty quickly, but got off the wagon and the gym.
I ride a bike share 3ish miles a day, and go to yoga 3x a week, but im finally getting back to the gym since my apartment building just got a crazy new state of the art "fitness studio" aka serious gym.

Been just waking up at 5:30, doing a little yoga, run a mile and lift weights, but I need to get back in to some serious lifting.

I just wanna fit back into my motorcycle pants, which are now too tight to button :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Motivation is not the worst thing but you're never going to change your life with motivational moments.

This thread is not for the discussion of motivation versus determination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

This thread is not for the discussion of motivation versus determination.

FINE I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFUL AND ENCOURAGING

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Be helpful and encouraging by posting your dietary and fitness goals for today! Maybe some motivational determinational content!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): Bodyspace says it's chest day, with 6-8 reps per set. On Bench I'm looking to get up to 185 on at least one set of 6.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, where I'll probably eat a bunch of grains. Should this be before or after the workout? Does it matter?
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: Dr. Eric Thomas will get you the gently caress up off the couch

What's everyone's goals for today? If youd like to put some motivational content up that you may find helpful, feel free to do so as well!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OKAY

So according to threads in YLLS, you can base your weight on how many calories you consume each day. If you want to weigh 150 pounds, you consume 1500 calories. This is directly affected by how much exercise you do each day. This is not universal, your mileage may vary.

A fitbit is a great thing for reminding yourself to stay active. You can set reminders so it will buzz you to get your tubby rear end moving. You can get a basic one for very cheap that just buzzes you or high end models with screens and poo poo.

My daily goals are a minimum 10,000 steps, a maximum 1700 calories and a minimum 30 minutes of cardio every day. Time permitting I do double the cardio. And BONUS, the more calories you burn the more you get to eat. I've also been told that your body generally doesn't begin burning fat until 30 active minutes of exercise so that's a god goal to have as well. I'm also planning on dropping my caloric intake to 1600 September 1st and starting a new phase of intermitent fasting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

What's everyone's goals for today?

Bike to work - Done (well, from the train station to work. I'm not ready yet for a ~16km ride from my girlfriend's apartment to work, without getting seriously sweaty)
Take stairs at work, avoid elevators - Done
Stand at desk - Done
Eat a light lunch - Done
Bike home (7.5km) - Done

Feeling pretty good for a non-workout day.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

What's everyone's goals for today? If youd like to put some motivational content up that you may find helpful, feel free to do so as well!

back/core/leg stretches and workout: done my back is a piece of piss...build the core up to reside on a firm foundation of big assed legs.
hour of cycling: done
downing a breakfast fuel rod consisting of a slice of wheat bread and one tablespoon of peanutbutter.
re-assemble the moto cause the truck has no brakes so that I can go get a salad for lunch, or else walk to get a salad :v:

I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch.. 1/2 sandwich consisting of either almond butter or PB, lunch is a leafy greens salad from the local grocery store.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Today's goal: Get to my diabetes prevention class early and do some cycling before tonight's class and group workout.

Already killed some weights yesterday and I'm feeling good. Closing in on 80lbs lost since Jan 2017. Glad to see AI getting interested and involved in fitness.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today's goal: Go for a bike ride after work, will update in 8-10hr :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I already screwed up today's goal by not setting my alarm right and missing cyclocross practice. So I guess backup goal is not eat too many snacks over the course of the day, hope the smoke isn't too bad for tonight's group ride, and figure out something light and healthy for dinner.

My longer term goal is to do better at the fall race season than I have in previous years. So keep up with the riding and keep my weight down, which is going to be challenging in the next month as everything around me lights on fire and makes the air quality bad. I should probably have been doing some weightlifting this summer. I did it over the winter and it seemed to help. And then I will have to start doing some actual specific interval workouts on the bike, which I basically haven't been doing all year.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Adiabatic posted:

GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, where I'll probably eat a bunch of grains. Should this be before or after the workout? Does it matter?

The carbs that you use to fuel your exercise are the carbs that you consumed 24 hours prior, meaning the day before during all your meals. Your body doesn't make available the energy from carbs immediately, or even shortly, after eating them.
So the idea is to meet your carb macros throughout the day in your meals.
Electrolytes, and amino acids are a little different. You can drink/eat these before or during your workout to refuel some of your active energy stores, if you feel like you're dragging a little bit.
Personally I always have to slam a powerade after lifting in the gym for an hour, before I go run 2 miles with my dog. If not, this Texas heat and my depleted energy stores from working out will cause me to cramp. A small amino or Powerade drink is all you need to refuel in that scenario.
But to answer your question - it doesn't matter too much. Just make sure you meet your dietary macros you have set out for yourself.

Did Triceps this morning. My split is Tris - Delts - Bis - Tris - Chest - Bis - Back - Legs. Like I wrote in my op, totally arms focused here since my body is up to date. Started with some heavy compound close grip Bench presses, and then just tore the meat off the bone with some intense cable drop sets. The pump was real.

I feel like im already at 17 1/4", even though I'm not supposed to hit that monthly goal until Sept. When you feel like you're doing really good - that's the time that you need to make sure you don't start slipping. Consistency will be the number one agent towards your physical change.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 15, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Adiabatic posted:

My goal for today is to find that sick rear end poster and put it up over my own toilet
But also to go grocery shopping, so I actually have something to eat that has less carbs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

The carbs that you use to fuel your exercise are the carbs that you consumed 24 hours prior, meaning the day before during all your meals. Your body doesn't make available the energy from carbs immediately, or even shortly, after eating them.
So the idea is to meet your carb macros throughout the day in your meals.
Electrolytes, and amino acids are a little different. You can drink/eat these before or during your workout to refuel some of your active energy stores, if you feel like you're dragging a little bit.
Personally I always have to slam a powerade after lifting in the gym for an hour, before I go run 2 miles with my dog. If not, this Texas heat and my depleted energy stores from working out will cause me to cramp. A small amino or Powerade drink is all you need to refuel in that scenario.
But to answer your question - it doesn't matter too much. Just make sure you meet your dietary macros you have set out for yourself.

Thanks! This helps immensely.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
This is comparatively modest, but goal for today was to get back to doing the myfitnesspal logging and stay in my calorie budget... so far breakfast and lunch down at only 650 calories for the day, 1200 to go and only kind of hungry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress it, maybe some accountability will make me stick with it this time.

GOAL: 240 or less, because I've loving been there and I know I can get down at least that far. Longer term C25K if my knees don't tell me to go gently caress myself like they have the last two times I've tried.
Current: Probably 300. I literally don't know where my bathroom scale went.

Portion control alone got me down to 240 last time I was up this high.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am 6'2" and down to 158.

My goal today is to make myself eat something.

I walk a couple of miles a day around the block at work because I have a tiny little store.

My main goal is to try to maintain being slim but I have to like start eating food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

What's everyone's goals for today?

Already hit it, did 5k this morning, few laps around the lake.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): Bodyspace says it's chest day, with 6-8 reps per set. On Bench I'm looking to get up to 185 on at least one set of 6.
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: Dr. Eric Thomas will get you the gently caress up off the couch

Currently monching some Chipotle for the first time in forever after working out. Got that 1 set of 6 185lbs in, just barely. Excellent day all around.

e: SWOLOTH

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Goddamn dude, which M Series do you drive? M5?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Goddamn dude, which M Series do you drive? M5?

Post up actual goals and work at them, or get out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
SHeeeeeeeeee-it you got it boss

Current
-6'2
-215lbs
-B Cup

Goal
-6'2
-31 as long as I can
-200.00lbs
-Maybe surgery for real, this is problematic

I'm trying intermittent fasting and ECA but that just makes me cranky all the time, and the consistent low calories is probably behind why I'm sprouting some melons. Gonna start playing tennis 3x a week and eating a salad for dinner.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Sure why the gently caress not.

5'6, about 160-165. Unable to deadlift or do anything that overloads my low back at all anymore, due to probable herniated disc. Work nights four nights a week and cycle to diurnal on the weekend, which fucks up both my sleeping and eating schedules, and have an eight month old who always seems to need me to be the one watching him right as I'm planning on going to the gym.

Goals, in roughly descending order of focus:
  1. Cut some of the garbage out of my diet in order to help drop some Dad Weight. I don't have a weight goal per se, but I'd like to get my belt back on the third notch instead of the second. My plan for this is:
    1. Have my dinners on work days be a salad with a lean protein plus an egg.
    2. Work meals will continue to be a low-carb wrap (with turkey, cheese, and a leafy green). I will up the current one serving of easy-to graze vegetables (carrots, pepper slices, etc) to two. I will continue to take a piece of fruit that I will probably scarf down at 0545 when I realize poo poo, it's almost time to go home.
    3. I will make myself eat something when I get home in the morning as well, which is something I either don't do or end up eating something trashy like a Starbucks sandwich that my wife has picked up; going to shoot for another egg or two (what, I like eggs as easy protein) and a piece of fruit.
    4. Not allow myself to eat like total poo poo from Friday through Sunday. Yeah, yeah, aim high, I know.
  2. Better utilize my free time regarding exercise. I should be able to get to the gym four times a week (Friday evening after I've slept post last night shift, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, late Monday morning so I can reliably get extra sleep in before the workweek begins again). I've been, uh, very lazy on this front and maybe do three days, and more often have been finding stupid excuses to go only twice. I've also been lovely about using the weights I actually own, but a lot of this is because they are in the guest area, which has been occupied frequently ever since Tet Jr was born. So my plan here is:
    1. Reliably go to the gym three times a week (Saturday through Monday) and shoot for four. This will require me to stop lazing about like a shithead after my last shift, and get the hell to sleep so I'm actually physically capable of lifting weights without killing myself because I'm dragass tired.
    2. On mornings in between shifts, use the spin bike for a minimum of thirty minutes, more preferably an hour. This could be tough -- I generally have to watch Tet Jr in the morning for a little bit while my wife does some stuff, and unfortunately if I push my sleep time back to far past 0930 sometimes I will simply not fall asleep. So I'm not sure if this will work out great, but it's a working plan here.
    3. Make sure I'm continuing to do the exercises I need to do in order the help out my back as well as a nagging left epicondylitis that has been plaguing me.
  3. Work on my lifting goals:
    1. Get my bench press back up over three plates. I'm at about 300 right now. For one shining moment last year I was juuuuuuust about at my long-term goal of twice bodyweight (did 315 at 158), so I know it's doable, but it'll be hard, slow going if I'm trying to trim up a little.
    2. Get back into a regular leg day, which the back issue has screwed up. No weight goals here, just a general "don't skip legs, dummy" goal.
So that's a start. Good thing I spent all that time typing it out instead of, I don't know, using the wrist roller or something! I'm gonna have to just face the fact that I'm going to have to choose between my internettin' and my health.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

mekilljoydammit posted:

This is comparatively modest, but goal for today was to get back to doing the myfitnesspal logging and stay in my calorie budget... so far breakfast and lunch down at only 650 calories for the day, 1200 to go and only kind of hungry.

1740 calories for the day and I'm not crazy hangry. Progress!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

Today's goal: Get to my diabetes prevention class early and do some cycling before tonight's class and group workout.

Already killed some weights yesterday and I'm feeling good. Closing in on 80lbs lost since Jan 2017. Glad to see AI getting interested and involved in fitness.

Did my class. Haven't lost since last week.

Goals are in my fitness log. Do I have to repost them here?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

My life goals are a lot less specific than all of you folks.

6' 285 lbs right now.

The caveat here is that 1/1/17 I was 355.

Since then I have changed my diet, cut a lot of carbs but not all, dramatically reduced red meat intake, dramatically reduced refined sugar and processed meat, stopped eating fast food and friend food, and do at least 30 minutes of cardio on an exercise bike 5 or 6 days a week.

I don't have specific number goals, I don't even own a scale. I weight myself maybe once a month or two when one is available. In general it's just to continue to eat better and be more active. I do know that as an adult in my mid 30s when I weighed 225-230 I had a 34 inch waist, that's just an observation but as close to any kind of a goal I have right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Came in under calorie goal and nailed 16000 steps for the day. I feel good about that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Shoveled about two tonnes of wet mulch out of a trailer at work. The banana and muesli bar for smoko we’re not sufficient fuel!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anyone have some low carb tips to increase fiber intake? I have so much trouble getting to 40g of fiber while staying under 40g of net carbs, even if I'm taking multiple scoops of wheat dextrin

E: a pound of spinach has like 10g of fiber, why does it have to be like this?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 16, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

E: a pound of spinach has like 10g of fiber, why does it have to be like this?

Yeah but after you cook it it's like a half ounce.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
CHECKING IN

https://www.strava.com/activities/1775440273

The 1000 steps trail is about 9 minutes drive from my house, I have no excuse not to get there at least once a week. Today, I was passed about a third of the way up by a dude going down, who passed me again coming up when I was about two thirds of the way up.

CURRENT WEEK
3km of heavy trail walking done, would like to get in 10 more at least of regular walking before Sunday night.

NEXT WEEK
Will attempt to get in 3km of heavy trail walking, and 17km of regular walking for the total 20km.

END OF YEAR
Would like to get my 1000 steps moving time down to 30 minutes - I have literally no idea how realistic this is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

Yeah but after you cook it it's like a half ounce.

Also delicious, I bulk up my curries with spinach all the time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wishful thinking hasn't worked so far, maybe peer pressure will? :hmmyes:

5'7" 70kg, don't really care about weight as long as it doesn't rocket up, I would like some actual strength and stamina though, when I get back from camping in a couple of weeks I'll empty the garage of all the poo poo I've promised myself I'll sell and set the bike up on the stand and find some weights.

Goal: lift a weight

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

Also delicious, I bulk up my curries with spinach all the time.

It's my go-to sandwich veg these days, no idea how i shunned it for so long.

Think I busted my calorie goal for the day, but still in the loss range so shouldn't be too big a deal. I get real hangry doing this, though idk if that's cause of the intermittent fasting schedule or just the overall calorie restriction.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Status at 1034 hours:

Biked to work (7.5km), tried to not work up too much of a sweat. Biking succeeded, no-sweat tactic failed, but I could handle it with a splash of cold water and a fresh t-shirt.
Helped my colleagues carry ~300 cans of soda up the stairs to our office.
Lunch is going to be relatively hefty, since it'll be my only proper meal of the day.
Gonna bike home, then do crossfit for an hour, then collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Goals -

10000kms for 2018
27.8kms a day, 194kms a week.

Back under 80kgs for November.

FTP - back over 250w

Today - https://www.strava.com/activities/1775582744/

Hopefully going to do something bigger tomorrow