Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Is the ROH/NJPW sellout of MSG the largest non WWE event in North America since the WCW days in the 90's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/pgxdjxess/status/1029365662437658625?s=19

This little kid DJ is posting a bunch of NJPW remixes
this is my favourite one. It’s not really much of a remix but on the other hand darryl with headphones :3:

https://twitter.com/pgxdjxess/status/1024069977672826880

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

KOPW is in theory a treading water kinda show but that is a stacked top end, even if it’s super unlikely plans will change

KOPW has gotten some fairly major title changes.

Demtor posted:

Is the ROH/NJPW sellout of MSG the largest non WWE event in North America since the WCW days in the 90's?

No, Mexico routinely does crowds that big. It's the biggest non WWE US wrestling crowd since July of 99 though when WCW did their last Dome show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Omega getting ready for that Nakamura match when his WWE contract expires.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Training for a Yano title match I see.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

remusclaw posted:

Training for a Yano title match I see.

yano did get two points over kenny...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Been watching a lot of NJPW since resubbing. I've subbed twice before, to watch Omega and Jericho and then to watch Dominion but this time I think it's going to stick. It's been such a joy to watch the G1 and it really has reminded me why I liked wrestling to begin with. I hope the storylines stay simple and the matches stay great.

A few thoughts:

That dude Yoshi Hashi looks like a dork
Im interested in the Bullet Club stuff but I have to wonder if they're gonna do a reunion at the end because they tried to hang that one dude.
Also is everyone in BCE white and everyone in GOD people of color? Something that stuck out to me. What is GODs beef with the rest of the club?
I kept hearing how Toma Tonga had bad matches. I guess ya'll are spoiled because I'm used to WWE. He seems good.
Kevin Kelly and Rocky are great
Sanda has really cool music and I've been rocking out to it.
One of the things that made me wanna resub was seeing NJPW guys in Yakuza 6 so good job advertising!

Shard fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 15, 2018

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yujiro's in BCE too, and the Firing Squad doesn't like them because Kenny and Cody were being really annoying about who was in charge for months and didn't actually do anything like BC used to.

Yeah Yoshi-Hashi does look like a sad lost man a lot of the time. He should wear a mask, he's really pretty big and masked guys with super wide shoulders are cool.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 15, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spikeguy posted:

Been watching a lot of NJPW since resubbing. I've subbed twice before, to watch Omega and Jericho and then to watch Dominion but this time I think it's going to stick. It's been such a joy to watch the G1 and it really has reminded me why I liked wrestling to begin with. I hope the storylines stay simple and the matches stay great.

A few thoughts:

That dude Yoshi Hashi looks like a dork
Im interested in the Bullet Club stuff but I have to wonder if they're gonna do a reunion at the end because they tried to hang that one dude.
Also is everyone in BCE white and everyone in GOD people of color? Something that stuck out to me. What is GODs beef with the rest of the club?
I kept hearing how Toma Tonga had bad matches. I guess ya'll are spoiled because I'm used to WWE. He seems good.
Kevin Kelly and Rocky are great
Sanda has really cool music and I've been rocking out to it.
One of the things that made me wanna resub was seeing NJPW guys in Yakuza 6 so good job advertising!

Tama and Fale were in Bullet Club before it became a babysitting club for roaming gaijin(with Yujiro as their resident minder). Tonga's beef is that the BC has gone soft when they were the most feared unit in NJPW. Fergal Devitt/Finn Balor used to ride Fale to the ring so there's always been some weird racial undertones to the thing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Also Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa are real life brothers, and Fale is their cousin, so it makes sense they all split off together. Taiji Ishimori is also with them since Tama brought him into BC before Best of the Super Juniors. I don't think it was intended to be a racial thing but it just kind of happened that way.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

Tama and Fale were in Bullet Club before it became a babysitting club for roaming gaijin(with Yujiro as their resident minder). Tonga's beef is that the BC has gone soft when they were the most feared unit in NJPW. Fergal Devitt/Finn Balor used to ride Fale to the ring so there's always been some weird racial undertones to the thing.

It would be great if Firing Squad were actually doing fun stuff to gently caress poo poo up instead of just crapping up the G1. Beat dudes down in the ring post-match, or only interfere like... two or three times in all of the G1. Beat some guys up in their post-match interviews. Wreck the ringside area and send fans running. I don't know, do something better than just annoying the piss out of everybody by ruining a bunch of matches in an otherwise amazing tournament. Nothing bout BCOG makes them seem like they're any more dangerous than BCE.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Phenix Rising posted:

It would be great if Firing Squad were actually doing fun stuff to gently caress poo poo up instead of just crapping up the G1. Beat dudes down in the ring post-match, or only interfere like... two or three times in all of the G1. Beat some guys up in their post-match interviews. Wreck the ringside area and send fans running. I don't know, do something better than just annoying the piss out of everybody by ruining a bunch of matches in an otherwise amazing tournament. Nothing bout BCOG makes them seem like they're any more dangerous than BCE.

They're heels who want to ruin people's fun. Their interference wasn't about winning, it was about denying the crowd moments.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only time it felt like they ruined a moment was Kenny vs Yano. Like sure the dqs in their regular matches were lame but they all came at the end of a slow match with a bunch of interference spots so it was a dull end to a boring match. I don’t think it really worked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Phenix Rising posted:

They're heels, annoying the piss out of you is the point

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rarity posted:

But what if it’s X-Pac heat???

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If they wanted to win, they’d come out and beat the poo poo out of each other. Which would confuse the gently caress out of the crowd until the finals of Tama and Fale deciding who eats the pin in a Jenken Battle. Then they’d riot.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
https://twitter.com/D_TaPla/status/1029824462521163776?s=19

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

:drat:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Your Parents posted:

They're heels who want to ruin people's fun. Their interference wasn't about winning, it was about denying the crowd moments.

Also note that these kinds of “American heel antics” get real strong heat in Japan because they’re annoying as gently caress, plus they even dragged the new (foreign) NJPW president deeper into the mud than he even intended. He came out with a statement saying he won’t get involved onscreen and hadn’t intended to.

Also that little DJ is a 5th grader :psyduck: the things Japanese kids get into and good at, I tell you...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

harperdc posted:

Also note that these kinds of “American heel antics” get real strong heat in Japan because they’re annoying as gently caress, plus they even dragged the new (foreign) NJPW president deeper into the mud than he even intended. He came out with a statement saying he won’t get involved onscreen and hadn’t intended to.

Also that little DJ is a 5th grader :psyduck: the things Japanese kids get into and good at, I tell you...

I’ll never forget a Japanese announcer screaming for the Young Bucks to go home, and the mayor of the town speaking out against their antics.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Your Parents posted:

Rarity posted:

I get that, but at a certain point it becomes redundant overkill and it's not adding to the product at all, it's just making it miserable to watch any matches they're involved in. They ran it into the ground way too hard.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

firing squad clearly working as intended

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ya i just skipped all the tongan matches

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I just thought it was funny how pissed off some people continually got about it, like after the 12th night straight what did you expect

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked the Tongan stuff, honestly. Especially Red Shoes constantly losing his poo poo at them. I still don't get the reffing rubric because towards the start of the G-1, the refs would send off Tanga without the slightest hesitation then towards the end, they were just like "gently caress it, I'm gonna eat poo poo and powder anyway, why bother?" Maybe they too were impressed by his hilaribad promos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also the disconnect between Tama saying he doesn't care about star ratings (which is good character work, because Omega clearly DOES care) and that he doesn't care about winning (which is bad because... like, at least pretend it's a sport, dude. When Fale interfered for Devitt, it was to make sure he won. When Yujiro turned, it was to help AJ win the title. BCOG style is to gently caress poo poo up so your guy wins the match, not just to 'trigger the marks' or whatever the gently caress)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
They were trying to disrespect the institution of the G1. The idea is that if they want something? They take it. They don't need to play a points game and do things officially. Tanga Loa didn't lose once in the G1 tags. Fale was never pinned or submitted.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, they ended the G1 with winning the trios belts so they care about winning. Its just more important they ruin the Elite's poo poo and in this case they could do that by winning

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine the next point of order for Firing Squad is either taking the Bucks' other belts or making sure Taiji wins the Junior belt whenever that's up for grabs again, the latter of which I think is probably the actual best course of action if Hiromu's out for as long as they've said.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Maybe Firing Squad is what happens when Gedo starts paying attention to the tag division.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

VJeff posted:

Here's another thought.

G1 Supercard is gonna be a big event and NJPW's gonna need to bring a big match for it. But G1 Supercard is gonna be like a week removed from Sakura Genesis, which is traditionally main evented by the NJC winner vs. the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

So what're they gonna do? Is the NJC winner next year gonna maybe pick the IC Title? Or is NJPW gonna have an IC Title defense at Supercard, maybe? Or would they just do two IWGP Heavyweight Championship defenses within a week of each other?

Honestly if it were me in charge, I would ice the IWGP heavyweight title after the big February show and build Okada/Omega for like 8 weeks. Make it like Austin/Rock; a must win for both men’s legacies.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I enjoyed the Tongan matches, even though they were definitely on the low end of quality for the tournament.

The thing that was hosed up to me was that their suzuki gun matches weren't stable faceoffs since this interference poo poo was like all suzuki gun did last year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sigmachiev posted:

Honestly if it were me in charge, I would ice the IWGP heavyweight title after the big February show and build Okada/Omega for like 8 weeks. Make it like Austin/Rock; a must win for both men’s legacies.

Personally, I really don't need to see Okada/Omega again until like, I dunno. Late 2019? The feud's over, let it be over for at least a full year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

Personally, I really don't need to see Okada/Omega again until like, I dunno. Late 2019? The feud's over, let it be over for at least a full year.

I agree, let them both do other things.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

After the Tana match, you think they'll put Okada in a feud against Jericho?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

After the Tana match, you think they'll put Okada in a feud against Jericho?

Maybe not a long feud but probably a match. And Chris'll do the job because he's savvy as gently caress and knows he's permanently made and can afford to do it.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I'm really curious to see what Tana vs Okada will reveal about Okada. As far as I can tell the storyline is that Okada has sort of stopped taking wrestling seriously since losing the title but even when acting like he doesn't care he's still able to go on a winning streak during the G1. I can't imagine that they would have Balloons Okada beat Tanahashi.

What will be the first clue about his return as Wrestling God Okada? His theme song going back to normal, or him going back to trunks?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't you dare blame the long boys for Weird Okada, they're what propelled him to 12 title defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I'm really curious to see what Tana vs Okada will reveal about Okada. As far as I can tell the storyline is that Okada has sort of stopped taking wrestling seriously since losing the title but even when acting like he doesn't care he's still able to go on a winning streak during the G1. I can't imagine that they would have Balloons Okada beat Tanahashi.

What will be the first clue about his return as Wrestling God Okada? His theme song going back to normal, or him going back to trunks?

He went back to the Rainmaker outfit against Tana in the last G1 match. Maybe that means Tana was the only wrestler he took seriously in the tournament.

But you'll know he's serious again when he goes back to having blonde hair.