Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

univbee posted:

(univbee sighs as he goes into the basement to find those spindles of ROM's burned to CD-R's in 1999)
Double sigh's as he realizes they're all bad rips with custom midi intros BROUGHT TO U BY R0/\/\H4XX ECCEPT THE BEST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Double sigh's as he realizes they're all bad rips with custom midi intros BROUGHT TO U BY R0/\/\H4XX ECCEPT THE BEST

You fool, those are the best versions.

Also I'm pretty sure I was using GoodTools even back then

Anyway if you haven't already, now is a good time to organize some complete 7-zip files of NES and SNES (the GoodSets and/or No-Intro) and whatever other systems you're interested in, and throw that into a cloud storage or three and any other nooks and crannys your digital life allows for.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I was thinking this exact thing when I saw the originally quoted post.

To add more context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDMRdy56ek&t=676s

Edit: Going into the history of Sega - holy poo poo there's a lot of poor decisions that they made while transitioning from the Genesis to the Saturn that it's a loving miracle the company actually managed to last until the Dreamcast. It's really a shame - despite executive mismanagement, Sega pulled off some incredible poo poo in the 16-bit era and it's a shame that their place in history has been papered over by so much Nintendo Nostalgia.

It's amazing that despite the two-year gap between the SNES and the Genesis, the Genesis was still the most powerful console of that era - it had the advantage in most areas (but deficiencies in some very crucial areas). Boy howdy though - where the SNES had its advantages, Nintendo and its third-party developers really loving played those advantages to the hilt in ways that really made it stand apart and negated every single technical shortcoming.

All in all, the quintessential theme of Sega is - powerful stuff with little to no support in helping your developers and awful management.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 15, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

All this talk reminded me of a problem I can’t seem to figure out. Most of the time when I try to use CPS2 games in Mame it’s rife with incomplete rom errors even when I’m using what should be a complete set.

Can anyone recommend some reading on how to understand Mame rom sets?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

univbee posted:

You fool, those are the best versions.

Also I'm pretty sure I was using GoodTools even back then

Anyway if you haven't already, now is a good time to organize some complete 7-zip files of NES and SNES (the GoodSets and/or No-Intro) and whatever other systems you're interested in, and throw that into a cloud storage or three and any other nooks and crannys your digital life allows for.

had these stored like this for years already. I knew it would never last with a publicly known website hosting these things. god bless the underground.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

All this talk reminded me of a problem I can’t seem to figure out. Most of the time when I try to use CPS2 games in Mame it’s rife with incomplete rom errors even when I’m using what should be a complete set.

You may have a ROMset that doesn't correspond to the version of MAME you're running. IIRC while this was very long ago, CPS2 games had placeholder encrypted ROM dumps. They were still part of MAME, but flagged as non-working because a workaround for the suicide battery hadn't been figured out yet. Someone finally figured it out, causing those ROM sets to be replaced with a decrypted set. In many of these cases, tools exist to convert or decrypt if all the data is in the "old" set (especially common with games that used hard drives for storage and have CHD files).

You may want to also mess around with a Windows tool called ClrMamePro. This will take DAT files (and also work with MAME EXE's proper) and let you rebuild your MAME ROMs in the format you want:

- Merged ROM's have all versions of a particular game in a single ZIP file or whatever. This is the smallest way to get everything if you're a completionist, but will definitely have a lot of redundant cruft
- Non-merged ROM's have a "parent" set of ROM's (usually the "World" version of a game) and then small ZIP files with just the files for the other versions (so one file with the different US ROM's, one with the different Japan ROM's etc.) Slightly bigger than merged
- Split ROM's make every individual ZIP file contain copies of all the necessary files (with the exception of some BIOS files like neogeo.zip). Largest by far, more than double the size of the other two, but can be useful if you want to pull, for example, only one version of each game.

If you're truly missing files, ClrMamePro will tell you exactly what.

Lastly, in some cases, like if you're making a RetroPie or using some other older MAME build for whatever reason, you may actually want some older versions of some ROM's. Most sites with MAME collections also have a set of "Rollback ROM's" which are basically a collection of every deprecated set of ROM's in MAME. While incomplete since you also need the recent MAME set, you can use ClrMamePro to generate a folder with zip or 7z files of whichever MAME version you want, once you have all these files.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McCracAttack posted:

Do you have the correct BIOS files for the CPS2? Usually it's an issue with that.

Another thing that was a known issue with MAME regarding CPS2/Neo Geo stuff for a while, should be fixed now and this is going to sound stupid but try running it from the command line instead of choosing the ROM from a GUI.

Something else to keep in mind though is that due to the protection on CPS2 games and how folks would figure them out, there are a lot of situations depending on the encryption used (and this goes for other games too) where an incomplete ROM set works better if your only definition of works better is "I can play the game in MAME." A more complete one will technically be a more accurate set of the game's ROM files and more useful for learning about getting more games of its kind actually working, but individual files within the set may not be emulated properly as MAME itself tries to take these changes into account and when someone more properly dumps a ROM won't always line up. You can also see this reflected in how some sites will have both the "MAME" version of a ROM as well as one meant for NeoRage/KAWAKS/FinalBurn/whatever.

You can play around with this a bit if you open up the zip file of a rom, in some cases you can look at the modified date for the individual files, literally just remove some of the more recent ones, and the ROM will play MAME or an older version of it.

MAME is an incredible thing but it's a catch-all that covers an absurd variety of hardware, and it's normal for some games on it to stop working/start working as both it and dumps of the games evolve over time. I'd consider not using it for CPS2 games and instead going with Kawaks or FinalBurn Alpha to emulate them (these are both great for Neo Geo games too).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I don't know if it affects CPS2 or not, but they also started dumping some of the non-ROM chips at some point. So some games need that additional set in order to run, which I noticed when copying a reduced set of games to another system.

If you try to run it in MAME64, and it gives a missing ROM error with something in parentheses after the missing file name, that should be the name of the missing set. Some of them are BIOSes, but there seem to be a handful of other processors and things in there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys are right. It's notably more difficult to find Nintendo ROMs online now. All the big ROM sites don't have them.

I downloaded a no intro of all nes, snes, and n64 last night just in case they do get harder to find.

Stuff is definitely still out there.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

univbee posted:

32x games require a 32x, so you're correct there.

Master System games were backwards compatible on Mega Drive/Genesis with a PIN adapter, which a flash drive circumvents easily, however this does NOT work if you have a 32x hooked up because the 32x cuts off those connectors.

Oh poo poo, so that means I can play Master System games on my genesis just with the cart? That's actually the #1 selling point for me. I didn't want to look into buying a $40 attachment to put on top of my genesis on top of the flash cart, so that is pretty awesome.

I already own a Sega CD, and have 0 desire for a 32x, so I'm all set on those. I thought maybe it could load Sega CD ISO's from the cart in some magic way, but ah well, being able to do different regions should be cool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Oh poo poo, so that means I can play Master System games on my genesis just with the cart? That's actually the #1 selling point for me. I didn't want to look into buying a $40 attachment to put on top of my genesis on top of the flash cart, so that is pretty awesome.

Yeah, it's just some of the more advanced flash carts will also do the FM sound expansion dealie, if that's of interest to you, and they'll also have a reset button on the cart (because that's wired up differently, apparently).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

univbee posted:

Yeah, it's just some of the more advanced flash carts will also do the FM sound expansion dealie, if that's of interest to you, and they'll also have a reset button on the cart (because that's wired up differently, apparently).

The button on the cart is actually the pause button, because the SMS put that on the console instead of a controller button.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The Sega Master System had an on board reset button compared to the NES. So betting sms games don't read the pause input from a genesis controller, nor did sega really care to put backwards compatibility as a focus when designing the genesis.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

The button on the cart is actually the pause button, because the SMS put that on the console instead of a controller button.

Oh whoops. :downs:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn’t realize there was a Genesis version of Robocop vs Terminator, and goddamn is it more fun than the SNES version I had.

The ED-209 boss can suck a dick, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

The Sega Master System had an on board reset button compared to the NES. So betting sms games don't read the pause input from a genesis controller, nor did sega really care to put backwards compatibility as a focus when designing the genesis.
Does the Mega Everdrive support in game hooks? Seems like they could use something like that to support contoller pausing?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

It's amazing that despite the two-year gap between the SNES and the Genesis, the Genesis was still the most powerful console of that era - it had the advantage in most areas (but deficiencies in some very crucial areas). Boy howdy though - where the SNES had its advantages, Nintendo and its third-party developers really loving played those advantages to the hilt in ways that really made it stand apart and negated every single technical shortcoming.
What do you mean by "most powerful console of the era"?

The Genesis had a 68k CPU, which by most accounts is better than the 65c816 in the SNES while the SNES had better graphics and sound hardware (I suppose sampled audio vs. FM synthesis is a point of debate, but at the time sampled audio was regarded as superior). The "better CPU" was not really relevant for most games except those that did 3D raycasting, or those that did a bunch of sprite rotation/scaling effects, both of which the SNES did with coprocessors.

The Neo Geo AES wiped them both off the floor.

LuiCypher posted:

Sega pulled off some incredible poo poo in the 16-bit era and it's a shame that their place in history has been papered over by so much Nintendo Nostalgia.
It's not just nostaliga though. Many of the well-remembered SNES titles are timeless classics and while Sega had some of those (Sonic, Phantasy Star) it was also primarily known for the genres that just don't age as well (sports titles, console fighters, etc.).

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 15, 2018

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What do you mean by "most powerful console of the era"?

The Neo Geo AES wiped them both off the floor.

I mean, yeah the AES was a console, but it was almost an entirely different category considering it's just rejiggered arcade hardware. It also cost 4-5x as much as any of the "normal" 16 bit consoles of the era, and the games were 3x as much. Certainly the "era" qualification is a bit broad, but in context I think "era" meant common 16 bits: TG16, SNES, Genesis. The Genesis had the fastest processor among them, which coincidentally made it better for those games that "didn't age well," IE shooters and such.

I mean, the whole thing is pedantic, really. The Genesis was "faster" but the SNES had a lot going for it as you noted and even the poor TG could do some amazing poo poo (giant sprites and such). But the TG was also designed two years before even the Genesis was. The whole "generation" is really staggered, unlike the "within a year" release of the modern generations (and subsequent lack of distinction therein).

EDIT: The hardware is only half the equation anyhow. The Vita should've been amazing, and once the first year of decent titles came out, it was dropped like a bad habit. The SNES, Genesis, and TG16/PCE each have amazing games. God I've become a videogame war centrist what's wrong with me

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Oh poo poo, so that means I can play Master System games on my genesis just with the cart? That's actually the #1 selling point for me.

Ok someone make a Super NT equivalent of the Sega Genesis now thanks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm hoping that it'll get those 8bit and 16 bit cores jailbroken in soon.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm hoping that it'll get those 8bit and 16 bit cores jailbroken in soon.
It's a huge disappointment, but I gave up on any more cores coming to the Super NT.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for all the replies about MAME and roms. I must be getting old because I read everything y'all wrote and it sort of killed my enthusiasm for the whole thing. I used to have endless patience for this sort of stuff. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I might dig into it again the next time I get a boring Sunday afternoon.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

univbee posted:

- Merged ROM's have all versions of a particular game in a single ZIP file or whatever. This is the smallest way to get everything if you're a completionist, but will definitely have a lot of redundant cruft
- Non-merged ROM's have a "parent" set of ROM's (usually the "World" version of a game) and then small ZIP files with just the files for the other versions (so one file with the different US ROM's, one with the different Japan ROM's etc.) Slightly bigger than merged
- Split ROM's make every individual ZIP file contain copies of all the necessary files (with the exception of some BIOS files like neogeo.zip). Largest by far, more than double the size of the other two, but can be useful if you want to pull, for example, only one version of each game.

On this topic, according to older posts (~2016?) online some frontends don’t like anything but split sets. Other than taking up more space is there any advantage of one over the other?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

xamphear posted:

It's a huge disappointment, but I gave up on any more cores coming to the Super NT.

I’m waiting for Analogue to start making the NT mini again for this reason, but I don’t think they ever will.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Casimir Radon posted:

Does the Mega Everdrive support in game hooks? Seems like they could use something like that to support contoller pausing?

Only when running MD/Gen games without a 32X. The way the SMS, CD and 32X work neuters the in-game menu. There's a very low-level hardware design problem that prevents additional buttons from being used on the controller.

azurite fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 16, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bonobos posted:

On this topic, according to older posts (~2016?) online some frontends don’t like anything but split sets. Other than taking up more space is there any advantage of one over the other?

The games should all run identically since it's all the same ROM files, they're just in different locations. It's ultimately down to how you want to do things. IMO if you're not a completionist and are specifically curating your game list to be how you want it, you're probably best off with split sets for simplicity's sake.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any examples of console games running better at lower resolutions, before PS4 Pro / Xbox One X? I'm assuming that wasn't a thing before, but I'm curious if there was like some OG Xbox game that slowed down when you went from 480i to 720p or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Things were definitely weird on the OG Xbox. I'm not hugely familiar with a lot of it, but off-hand I know that Soul Calibur II at 720p would only run at a 4x3 aspect ratio; if you wanted to play in 16x9 you had to force your console to 480p.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minidust posted:

Are there any examples of console games running better at lower resolutions, before PS4 Pro / Xbox One X? I'm assuming that wasn't a thing before, but I'm curious if there was like some OG Xbox game that slowed down when you went from 480i to 720p or something.

Probably not many, but I have to imagine that Gran Turismo 4, which could run at anything from like 480p to 1080i, would have to have some noticeable frame rate differences.

How many console games even let you pick resolution before PS4 Pro / Xbox One X? PS2 is the only one I can think of, and only for a few games even.

E: Ah, I guess forcing it with the TV modes or whatever would let you change resolutions on some games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember people setting their PS3 to 720 output for marginally higher frame rates in some things. Can't really recall what though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't think of a single high-res N64 game that doesn't run better at standard resolution.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I remember people setting their PS3 to 720 output for marginally higher frame rates in some things. Can't really recall what though.

I would do that for Gundam Vs: Full Boost after they added the Banahee Norn.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bonobos posted:

I’m waiting for Analogue to start making the NT mini again for this reason, but I don’t think they ever will.

I’m waiting for the Zimba 5000 but Kevtris hasnt said poo poo about it for almost two years.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I didn’t realize there was a Genesis version of Robocop vs Terminator, and goddamn is it more fun than the SNES version I had.

The ED-209 boss can suck a dick, though.

The rule is that the SNES had the better port of everything except when ultraviolence was involved.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

get the latest MAME and the latest ROM set. PM me if you need help finding that

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

LuiCypher posted:

It's amazing that despite the two-year gap between the SNES and the Genesis, the Genesis was still the most powerful console of that era - it had the advantage in most areas (but deficiencies in some very crucial areas).
Always a good opportunity to share Ben Heck's comparison using an oscope.

https://youtu.be/yGzgKCsrNHM

Skip to 15mins or so if you have no patience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The rule is that the SNES had the better port of everything except when ultraviolence was involved.

I never heard that rule, but it makes a ton of sense.

What about Earthworm Jim? I don't have personal nostalgia for them, but I gather the Genesis still edges out the SNES versions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never heard that rule, but it makes a ton of sense.

What about Earthworm Jim? I don't have personal nostalgia for them, but I gather the Genesis still edges out the SNES versions.

Pretty much, but then there's the CD version and the later ports that make things murky.

As a general rule, multi-platform games that were primarily developed for Megadrive tended to be better there and vice-versa. assuming the two games aren't completely different to begin with.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

And sports.

And potty humor.

And disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Zaphod42 posted:

I downloaded a no intro of all nes, snes, and n64 last night just in case they do get harder to find.

Stuff is definitely still out there.

I grabbed the NES and SNES ones, but the N64 I'm hesitant on because of how huge it is.