Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

The worst password rule is “you have to have some so‐called special characters, but others are forbidden, but we’re not going to tell you which ones, and maybe will through an unrelated error like complain about the length when actually we just didn’t like the question mark.”

I once registered somewhere that disallowed consecutive identical characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I once registered somewhere that disallowed consecutive identical characters.

This doesn't even make sense because it's not going to actually make a password easier to crack unless it's just a string of "aaaaaaaa" or something (in which case wouldn't a test for a low number of unique characters be more meaningful than a test for consecutive matches?)

Password standards are all cargo cult security. Perform the right incantations and the password will be Strong.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Count Roland posted:

e2: ok so I got sucked in:

That's actually a pretty good one. It's amazing how recently there were moderate, and even liberal Republicans. Then that hard right turn...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

That's actually a pretty good one. It's amazing how recently there were moderate, and even liberal Republicans. Then that hard right turn...

Well there was a mass exodus of moderate Republicans under Nixon between the Southern Strategy and Watergate, so after that the only people left were the ones that were already fine with that stuff.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Platystemon posted:

The worst password rule is “you have to have some so‐called special characters, but others are forbidden, but we’re not going to tell you which ones, and maybe will through an unrelated error like complain about the length when actually we just didn’t like the question mark.”

My favorite is the one where the website let me create a 12 character password, but the mobile app only read the first 8 characters and cut everything else off so that it failed every time until I made a shorter password.

Edit:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This doesn't even make sense because it's not going to actually make a password easier to crack unless it's just a string of "aaaaaaaa" or something (in which case wouldn't a test for a low number of unique characters be more meaningful than a test for consecutive matches?)

Password standards are all cargo cult security. Perform the right incantations and the password will be Strong.

Use a password manager to create truly random passwords and protect it with a passphrase (such as the entire preamble to the Constitution of the United States) that has intentionally misspelled words in it.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Aug 14, 2018

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

When I went to Uni we had to have a different password for the Linux computer labs, and the password requirements were some of the most insane I've seen. It required the usage of a lower case, upper case, special character, and a number, no consecutive characters.... but the kickers was that the password length had to be between 6 and 10 characters (6 cuz of minimum length, maximum cuz.... I still have no loving idea why). All of that work to make "strong" passwords that no one will remember, yet the thing that will most reliably make it more secure is limited.

This was back in 2012 too. The windows computers had similar requirements except no maximum length.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had an account at a website that changed their password rules and disallowed underscores in passwords.

My existing password had an underscore. I couldn’t log in so I e‐mailed support about it.

They removed the underscore and otherwise maintained my password, e.g “sword_fish” became “swordfish”.

The fact that they could do this implies they were storing passwords as plain text, which is not good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If there's a max password length I just assume that it's because they're storing plain text.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Raldikuk posted:

When I went to Uni we had to have a different password for the Linux computer labs, and the password requirements were some of the most insane I've seen. It required the usage of a lower case, upper case, special character, and a number, no consecutive characters.... but the kickers was that the password length had to be between 6 and 10 characters (6 cuz of minimum length, maximum cuz.... I still have no loving idea why). All of that work to make "strong" passwords that no one will remember, yet the thing that will most reliably make it more secure is limited.

This was back in 2012 too. The windows computers had similar requirements except no maximum length.

Coincidentally, I was just talking about this with one of my coworkers who has these same rules except a minimum of 8 characters (still a max of 10), and has to be changed every 3 months for his garbage company.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Max password length is the bane of my existence. Let me have my 30 character password. Its words so I can actually loving remember it, but has enough variations that its still very strong.

Plus this stuff changes all the time. Like removing that underscore for example, or requiring a special character. gently caress.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How 2 hack any government department in any land.

1. Get job as cleaner in department
2. Read post it note
3. Log in.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
Now what?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have a friend who works at a goddamn petrol station who has to change his login details every month. Thankfully, it's only for the company website, not their tills, but they put everything on there, including training and payslips.

So, whenever he has to update whatever bullshit training he has to do, or check why his pay's been hosed up, he gets this huge prompt telling him his password is expired and it won't let him log on.

But! He found that when he tries to log on and gets the expired prompt, he can close the browser tab, reopen it and enter his password with no problem.

:bravo:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Aug 15, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My bank asks SSN alongside username to initiate login into their online services, but if you press enter fast enough you can skip the SSN form which appears shortly after you’ve entered your username.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My bank asks SSN alongside username to initiate login into their online services, but if you press enter fast enough you can skip the SSN form which appears shortly after you’ve entered your username.

:stonklol:

That's an impressive ziggurat of fuckups.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:stonklol:

That's an impressive ziggurat of fuckups.

You always must do physical 2FA in the next step regardless, but it’s a fuckup nevertheless.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

lower your sunglasses and say "i'm in"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You always must do physical 2FA

Like you turn a key in a lock?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I forgot my password for a government agency’s database so i sent them an email.

They replied the next day. “Hi we have another user registered at your organization, just use his login info which is:

Username ColleagueLastname
Password (his password in plaintext)

:stonk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Like you turn a key in a lock?

No, you use a separate code generator device (calculator like thing issued individually by bank), or plastic code sheet, or the recently introduced dedicated smartphone 2FA app.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

FrozenVent posted:

One time I forgot my password for a government agency’s database so i sent them an email.

They replied the next day. “Hi we have another user registered at your organization, just use his login info which is:

Username ColleagueLastname
Password (his password in plaintext)

:stonk:

Holy gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also yeah, Jesus.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I remember the time when your credentials were visible in the address field when you logged in into your email account.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
At this one place my password had to be changed every few months or so naturally after the first time I changed mine I forgot it completely. I went over to the IT guy and he changed my password to a simple 7 letter word and told me to change next time I logged on. I did not.
Apparently he forgot all about this as he came around asking "How come you're the only person that haven't had to change your password in the last three years?" I didn't say poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, you use a separate code generator device (calculator like thing issued individually by bank), or plastic code sheet, or the recently introduced dedicated smartphone 2FA app.

Yeah, those things are great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

These are ours. Password locked with several different PIN codes, and web auth prompts you to enter a particular pin and return the generated code.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They loving suck if you have to find them and wait for a code every time you leave your goddamn computer alone for three minutes, which is when it's set to go to sleep by rear end in a top hat admins.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Megillah Gorilla posted:

are these the ones that are crackable with like $40k like the latvian e-voting cards?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

are these the ones that are crackable with like $40k like the latvian e-voting cards?

Those are Estonian!!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We just got assigned these where I work, it's funny seeing the olds being unable to use them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don Gato posted:

We just got assigned these where I work, it's funny seeing the olds being unable to use them.

Tbh at work you should probably just use Yubis or equivalent. Also works perfectly with the olds, just tell them it's like car key for the computer.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We used these for VPN at one place I worked, and they were great. They were literally the most reliable system we had.

We replaced it FOR NO loving REASON AT ALL with a program that displayed an image of two rows of numbers like this, second row randomized for each logon attempt:

So if your PIN is 5824, you look at the digit on the second row and enter 9158 and your password. Now imagine explaining that to hundreds of oil industry workers one by one.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evobatman posted:

We used these for VPN at one place I worked, and they were great. They were literally the most reliable system we had.

We replaced it FOR NO loving REASON AT ALL with a program that displayed an image of two rows of numbers like this, second row randomized for each logon attempt:

So if your PIN is 5824, you look at the digit on the second row and enter 9158 and your password. Now imagine explaining that to hundreds of oil industry workers one by one.

and that IT managers name was Robby Mook

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

evobatman posted:

I do not understand this system.

Fake edit: okay, now I do. Took a couple of minutes. It is a dumb system. If the bottom row is random, then there is no need for the extra transformation. It is busy work that does not increase security, but it does make it more likely that people will gently caress it up.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
:It does add a bit of security against mostly old vectors: by randomizing the numbers, a simple keylogger won't work and depending on a lot of details, a MITM becomes harder.

It's still terrible; I once had to log into a system which forced using an on-screen keyboard which jumped around the screen for the same reasons. Luckily, they didn't know you can make most browsers ignore hints to not remember passwords, so I entered mine once and never again.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Boiled Water posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Those are Estonian!!

Wait, what? You mean E-stonia, the bleeding edge of electronic everything? At least that’s how my Estonian friend describes it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Brexit means Brexit?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
2% alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer