Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Boywhiz88 posted:

At this point, I have to believe the executive in charge of Predator is just a Xenomorph w a shirt and tie.

Aliens Against Predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dunkirk digital movie code for anyone who wants it:

e: claimed

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 12, 2018

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spatulater bro! posted:

Dunkirk digital movie code for anyone who wants it:

mxqvcfh993yh

Claimed it. Thank you kind goon

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

On a whim I stopped by Best Buy today, which I haven't done in years. It was pretty shocking to see how much the movie selection has diminished. The entire section consisted of two half-sized shelves. And one entire side was dedicated to children's movies, and another half was dedicated to Marvel stuff. It makes me feel nostalgic for the days of visiting Best Buy and perusing through 7 or 8 full length aisles of packed shelves. Today their entire selection is about the size of just their horror section back in 2002.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

On a whim I stopped by Best Buy today, which I haven't done in years. It was pretty shocking to see how much the movie selection has diminished. The entire section consisted of two half-sized shelves. And one entire side was dedicated to children's movies, and another half was dedicated to Marvel stuff. It makes me feel nostalgic for the days of visiting Best Buy and perusing through 7 or 8 full length aisles of packed shelves. Today their entire selection is about the size of just their horror section back in 2002.

Yep, unless you're after a major blockbuster release like Infinity War, there's a good chance you're gonna have to buy it online, especially if it's 4k.

The Mission Impossible films just has UHD releases, and every store in town(Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc.) had Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation on the shelf, but no plans to ever order the first three. It seemed crazy to me that even these Tom Cruise franchise blockbusters weren't deemed worthy of using shelf space on.

Of course, last month Best Buy for some reason had like six UHD copies of The Quick and the Dead on the shelf, so it can seem pretty random sometimes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd say the problem is that everybody, like you, hadn't been in a Best Buy in years. It's kinda like when I was shocked when Hastings closed down, only to remind myself that I hadn't stepped foot in one in like 5 years and that likely nobody else had either. Amazon's loving ruined everything for everybody, and the worst part about it was that when I went to Hastings' going out of business sale their shelves were stocked with Arrow and Scream Factory blu-rays. I mean, there weren't many left but I didn't even know they had them there.

I miss going into stores and browsing for cool poo poo and then buying cool poo poo after reading the back of the box. The only place left near me like that is a Barnes and Noble that has decent Criterion sales constantly. Or they did have, but like any other brick and mortar store I haven't been there in years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it's better to buy directly from all these boutique labels, but I really miss being able to just walk around a huge movie section and chance upon something that looks interesting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Same thing happened to all the PC games. Or go into a Barnes and Noble and see how many bookshelves they've gotten rid of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It does save me money though, tbh. I'm the kind of person who will always hesitate to spend money online, because there's no instant gratification of having the movie in your hand right at that moment. But if I had a store with a big comprehensive blu ray section near me I'd be stopping there like multiple times a week spending money on impulse buys.

I know a lot of people are more the opposite though, where they'll spend irresponsibly online but hardly ever be motivated to actually go into a store.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Because the boutique gods crave blood from thy wallet, Kino Lorber Studio Classics has another sale going on:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/aug18sale?affiliate=klscsm

Lots of great titles this round. Films are from the MGM, Fox, Paramount, Republic, CBS Films, ABC Films, Selznick, Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures libraries.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Casimir Radon posted:

Same thing happened to all the PC games. Or go into a Barnes and Noble and see how many bookshelves they've gotten rid of.

Barnes and Noble feels like a toy store nowadays

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New VS blus up for pre-order
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxgno4sv0s4&t=10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNe38900U4&t=10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hTDnxsH5Fk&t=10s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: Body Melt looks amazing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just dug out my vhs for House on Tombstone Hill last week. That restoration almost looks too good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I can assure you it's every bit as awesome as it looks :getin:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

feedmyleg posted:

Body Melt is equal parts batshit crazy and awesome. It's one of the few locally released blus that I've paid full price for (which was around $40AU on release) and I'm totally double dipping on the VS edition.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Because the boutique gods crave blood from thy wallet, Kino Lorber Studio Classics has another sale going on:

Lots of great titles this round. Films are from the MGM, Fox, Paramount, Republic, CBS Films, ABC Films, Selznick, Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures libraries.

thanks, tons of great stuff in there!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think this September's VS drop is the first time they slipcovered a hardcore.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion for November:
The Magnificent Ambersons
Some Like It Hot
True Stories
A Story of Chikamatsu

Plus 4K releases for Hook and Air Force One coming later this year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

I just dug out my vhs for House on Tombstone Hill last week. That restoration almost looks too good.

I think you mean Dead Dudes In The House.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Omg yes True Stories

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think you mean Dead Dudes In The House.

That is quite the rebranding there. :stare:

e: May have to buy House on Tombstone Hill just to have that reverse-side cover artwork on my shelf.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 16, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Some of their blus are cheaper than their DVD counterparts. :psyduck:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

All this talk of getting two copies of a movie in a box set scared me and I opened the Friday the 13th box set I've has laying around for months. Two loving copies of part 4 and no part 2. God damnit.

Paramount took care of me already and Fedexed me a replacement Blu Ray.

Here's a great list of customer support contacts BTW:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91684

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

Barnes and Noble feels like a toy store nowadays

Their CEO (not the one they fired a few months ago, the guy he replaced) pretty much bet the company's future on Nook tablets and nerd toys. A friend of mine has worked for them part-time for fifteen years, and he says morale at his store is worse than it's ever been and it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic; his store is on its eighth GM / store manager this calendar year.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Timby posted:

Their CEO (not the one they fired a few months ago, the guy he replaced) pretty much bet the company's future on Nook tablets and nerd toys. A friend of mine has worked for them part-time for fifteen years, and he says morale at his store is worse than it's ever been and it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

This is extremely true. I used to work there when I was in school, and have a few friends who are still there. They laid off thousands of their most reliable workers a few months ago and cut hours to skeleton crews, while making higher demands on the people left, so anybody still working there is overworked and miserable. Also, that most recent CEO was canned a few weeks ago with no parachute for reasons undisclosed, and everybody thinks it's a metoo moment.

It's a company still being steered by a dude in his 70s who has no idea what to do except try to sell more toys and their lovely member cards, which has as much long term value as getting a Blockbuster membership in 2010.

I give it another year, tops.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know if Barnes and Noble loses money on their Criterion/Arrow sales? Or is the bulk cost cheap enough that it's still somewhat profitable? I've always wondered how they're able to do them year after year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Origami Dali posted:

I give it another year, tops.

I really hope not. I still miss Borders, and I don’t have a Books-a-Million anywhere near me. Not to mention that it’ll make Amazon basically the only place to offer books that aren’t airport trash or movie tie-ins.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every Barnes and noble I’m ever in is super busy :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

Does anybody know if Barnes and Noble loses money on their Criterion/Arrow sales? Or is the bulk cost cheap enough that it's still somewhat profitable? I've always wondered how they're able to do them year after year.

I'll ask my friend to check what the store cost for a disc is the next time a sale comes around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Every Barnes and noble I’m ever in is super busy :shrug:

Didn't they literally just fire like more than half of their employees?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

Didn't they literally just fire like more than half of their employees?

Def not half, just the ones who had been there the longest and had the most responsibilities. In other words, the most expensive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope not. I still miss Borders, and I don’t have a Books-a-Million anywhere near me. Not to mention that it’ll make Amazon basically the only place to offer books that aren’t airport trash or movie tie-ins.
I was just in the Middle East where Borders still exists and the one I went in was pretty much a clone of what Barnes and Noble looks like in the US.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Casimir Radon posted:

I was just in the Middle East where Borders still exists and the one I went in was pretty much a clone of what Barnes and Noble looks like in the US.

I want to go to where there's still Kenny Rogers chicken and eat that poo poo again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Origami Dali posted:

Def not half, just the ones who had been there the longest and had the most responsibilities. In other words, the most expensive.

Yeah, it was straight cost-cutting, including firing a lot of middle management (regional managers, especially, but also assistant managers at stores, too), so there's almost no leadership or organization in the company anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Luckily, independent bookstores are actually on the rise. I'm admittedly spoiled in a big city, but I'd never step foot in one of the big chains these days—they're just so, so much better. Hopefully if they do close in your area, a mom and pop shop will crop up to fill the void.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I worked for BBY for 12 yrs starting in 05. About half of the store was media, same thing when we moved to a new store the next year. By 2009 though, I was on a project team and I participated in the first remodel where media was reduced. I stopped into one of their flagship stores a few days ago. It was undergoing a remodel and yep, just a single row for media. I ended up sending a picture to my parents cause it was so funny to me.

We’ve talked about it in this thread, but we’re probably on the last physical format for movies. There’s not going to be a revival like there was for vinyl. We’ll just be the weirdos hoarding our Criterion’s and bitching about bitrate in streaming options.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Luckily, independent bookstores are actually on the rise. I'm admittedly spoiled in a big city, but I'd never step foot in one of the big chains these days—they're just so, so much better. Hopefully if they do close in your area, a mom and pop shop will crop up to fill the void.

There are a couple used bookstores in my city, but no independent ones that sell new books. Every time I go to New York it's like being a kid in a candy store. I wouldn't buy much at B&N outside of their Criterion sales otherwise, but I shop there anyway because I dislike them less than I dislike Amazon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I worked for BBY for 12 yrs starting in 05. About half of the store was media, same thing when we moved to a new store the next year. By 2009 though, I was on a project team and I participated in the first remodel where media was reduced. I stopped into one of their flagship stores a few days ago. It was undergoing a remodel and yep, just a single row for media. I ended up sending a picture to my parents cause it was so funny to me.

We’ve talked about it in this thread, but we’re probably on the last physical format for movies. There’s not going to be a revival like there was for vinyl. We’ll just be the weirdos hoarding our Criterion’s and bitching about bitrate in streaming options.

I said for years that Blu-ray would be the last physical medium, but UHD just barely snuck in there. But yeah it's definitely the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
gently caress that, bring back rca videodisc