Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Maybe this one? http://amzn.eu/hCinA4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 that I've enjoyed a lot. They're 'good enough' and I can listen to them for hours without my ears getting tired. I'd like to pick up a second pair for work but it seems they are discontinued - does anyone know what a comparable Sennheiser model in the current lineup would be?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Looks like 579 is the update to the 555

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Airpods hurt my ears!

Ok, so I am going to get me some of the https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio...s/dp/B01BDX1IVW you recommended. I don't want to use the 3.5mm plugs on my computers, they both give a wierd hum. Can anyone recommend a usb soundcard or something that I can plug these headphones into?

These showed up yesterday from amazon, they are both great. Thank you, thread.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sloppy posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 that I've enjoyed a lot. They're 'good enough' and I can listen to them for hours without my ears getting tired. I'd like to pick up a second pair for work but it seems they are discontinued - does anyone know what a comparable Sennheiser model in the current lineup would be?

Spend the $40 extra and get the HD58X. This hype ain't bullshit, you'll love em. Unless you're dead set on having extremely similar headphones in both locations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Do any of the top-end noise cancelling headphones have an edge in the Co-Workers Who Will Not Shut The gently caress Up Ever category? I'm at the point where I can either spend $300 or lose my job due to murdering everybody, so I just want to know if between Sony, Bose, and Sannheiser anyone is particularly good at killing conversation noise.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CapnAndy posted:

Do any of the top-end noise cancelling headphones have an edge in the Co-Workers Who Will Not Shut The gently caress Up Ever category? I'm at the point where I can either spend $300 or lose my job due to murdering everybody, so I just want to know if between Sony, Bose, and Sannheiser anyone is particularly good at killing conversation noise.

IEMs with memory foam tips are the solution you are looking for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah this or if you don't like IEM's I'd have to give Bose the slight edge with the ANC.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Hamelekim posted:

Yup, I barely hear my very loud co-workers and workspace with my Jaybird X3 with Comply foam tips. Comply makes magical memory foam eartips and I highly recommend them with a solid pair of IEMs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CapnAndy posted:

As a Bose QC3 owner and have a loud coworker who sits approximately 20 -25 feet away from me, either get IEMs or play loud music on you ANC headphones. Noise cancelling does nothing for loud bursts of laughter.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Kindly ask them to be quieter? Go full-on, bulky ear protection?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fetko posted:

Kindly ask them to be quieter? Go full-on, bulky ear protection?

God combo is foam tipped IEMs with full hearing protection over them :smuggo:

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

God combo is foam tipped IEMs with full hearing protection over them :smuggo:

My next suggestion. That and some good bookshelves playing whatever he's listening to at max volume for everyone else.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

HD 58X are super good and fun. They remind me of my AKG 7XXs soundstage-wise without being afraid to take them outside. The Fulla 2 I got for the office is driving them great, and so is my phone (Pixel). Seems like my iPad, Switch, and 3DS will drive these great.

Sound leak isn't too bad, but my cramped officemates wear IEMs most of the time, so no complaints yet. I'm super pleased I went with these instead of the 6XX since so much more can drive them.

Clamping force is definitely higher than anticipated. I have a pretty large head, but it seems like the padding is getting accustomed to my large noggin' pretty quickly. Looks like there are replacement pads for them, so cleaning them shouldn't be much of a chore. Overall comfort is really good, even with my glasses. If you have TMJ, I could see these being problematic, though.

I would highly recommend these - especially if you haven't had open-back cans before or are unsure if you want to invest in a DAC/amp. They're really wicked good.

Fake edit: the soundstage is wild.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok I wasn't sure if it was just me but I do have a little TMJ and god drat these cans are tight. I'm also used to the feather pillow comfort of the 598's so I had to get used to these suckers.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

Fake edit: the soundstage is wild.

I still think the 595/8/9 line have a wider soundstage, but man going back to them after listening to the 58xs for a few days actually makes them sound muddy in comparison. The amount of detail the 58xs resolve is just crazy for a $150 headphone. Especially for music with lighter instrumentation, like piano, violin or harp, there's a delicacy that's reproduced in the 58xs that's really delightful.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

I still think the 595/8/9 line have a wider soundstage, but man going back to them after listening to the 58xs for a few days actually makes them sound muddy in comparison. The amount of detail the 58xs resolve is just crazy for a $150 headphone. Especially for music with lighter instrumentation, like piano, violin or harp, there's a delicacy that's reproduced in the 58xs that's really delightful.

I’m not sure if this post here is tongue in cheek or not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey all, hopefully this is the right place to ask about a headset for PC gaming? Just looking for some recommendations on a new set to pick up, not looking to spend more than $200CAD, Circumaural and an integrated mic are must haves. Wireless is a plus, probably? I'm not playing anything competitively so I'll never notice a few ms of lag.

Previously I've used SteelSeries sets that have been good, but have broken on me a couple years in; twice I started intermittently losing connection in one ear, presumably as some solder joint failed. Is this considered normal wear?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You can look through my post history for recommendations. The options hasn't really changed. Most of the recommendations are headphones with 3.5mm jacks that you can plug a V-Moda BoomPro to to make it an integrated mic.

EDIT:

- Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro
- Status Audio CB-1 + V-Moda BoomPro
- Sennheiser HD598 + KetDirect Mic
- Sennheiser Game Zero

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
SHP9500s are discontinued now, unless you're comfortable paying big dollar for them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Still very happy with my modmic on my 598s

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I finally got around to replacing my lost Shure SE425 after a year or so. I went with the lazy choice of the SE535LTD. I know there are better reviewed IEMs at that price point but I definitely like the Shure sound and I love the fit and the degree of passive isolation that the Shures give me because I use them mostly on commuter rail and subway. I just got them and so far they seem quite decent. Nothing mind blowing but certainly meets expectations for their price range. I decided not to get the SE846 or KSE series because I have a tendency to lose IEMs.

I'm still using my B&W P7 for wired over ear at home but I recently got some cheap KEF Q350 as bookshelf speakers (NAD 1050 DAC to an older Nakamichi receiver) and the sound from the loudspeakers is so much better than any headphones that I rarely use headphones/earphones at home now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 16, 2018

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PittTheElder posted:

Hey all, hopefully this is the right place to ask about a headset for PC gaming? Just looking for some recommendations on a new set to pick up, not looking to spend more than $200CAD, Circumaural and an integrated mic are must haves. Wireless is a plus, probably? I'm not playing anything competitively so I'll never notice a few ms of lag.

Previously I've used SteelSeries sets that have been good, but have broken on me a couple years in; twice I started intermittently losing connection in one ear, presumably as some solder joint failed. Is this considered normal wear?

The Audeze Mobius is supposed to hit the market soon - https://www.mmorpg.com/hardware-rev..._medium=twitter

I used the prototype in the past (I work for the company who made the 3d audio algorithm) and I liked it a lot, it's pretty expensive and despite what the review is saying the 3d function is actually not suitable for VR at all (in fact no VR application can actually utilize any external 3d\virtual-surround functions as VR applications already output in binaural stereo) - it is pretty cool for games with surround output as the head tracking does help localize audio sources (in my opinion).

Again, it's pretty expensive but if I had to compare it to the Astro A40 and A50s which cost quite a lot themselves I think these are much better, the headset itself is high-quality and doesn't sound like a 'boomy' gaming headset, the 3d function while still only a virtualization has some more oomph to it and sounds well with movies as well as games, the headset supports bluetooth (even though it can't receive surround inputs in bluetooth).

Still, I think it's nice.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
There've been a few discussions over last few pages but no real results: does anyone have recommendations for in-ear bluetooth headphones, mid-range (£50 - £80 or so), that are decent?

My bro got me some JBL E25sfor Christmas which were all good until after 6 months they started falling apart due to constant use. Also they do have some annoyances like having to hold a button for about 10 seconds just to turn them on or off.

Anyhow Amazon refunded me the cost of the JBL's so I am just checking if anyone knows of better quality ones. I can't really see any alternative on Amazon at the moment that has the following:

6hrs+ battery life
Not total poo poo build quality/sound
Use case: everyday for music & radio/podcasts on commute

There are some Jaybird models, and that's a brand I've seen recommended in this thread, but most of them have crap reviews on Amazon? Maybe I should just go for the JBLs again and hope for a less lovely unit?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Aliexpress has SHP9500s for $80-$85, so not as bad as ebay or amazon/newegg resellers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

El Grillo posted:

There've been a few discussions over last few pages but no real results: does anyone have recommendations for in-ear bluetooth headphones, mid-range (£50 - £80 or so), that are decent?

My bro got me some JBL E25sfor Christmas which were all good until after 6 months they started falling apart due to constant use. Also they do have some annoyances like having to hold a button for about 10 seconds just to turn them on or off.

Anyhow Amazon refunded me the cost of the JBL's so I am just checking if anyone knows of better quality ones. I can't really see any alternative on Amazon at the moment that has the following:

6hrs+ battery life
Not total poo poo build quality/sound
Use case: everyday for music & radio/podcasts on commute

There are some Jaybird models, and that's a brand I've seen recommended in this thread, but most of them have crap reviews on Amazon? Maybe I should just go for the JBLs again and hope for a less lovely unit?

BeatsX maybe? You can get em for about a hundred bucks in the US so that ought to be in your range.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

BeatsX maybe? You can get em for about a hundred bucks in the US so that ought to be in your range.
Yep. Fair enough, they look spot on so I'll see if I can find some knocked down somewhere, cheers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are gamer headsets worth getting? (Logitech / Steelseries / Razer)

For games, movies, and music, I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

They really aren't worth the extra money IMO.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Schneider Heim posted:

Not really. They're usually the worst of both worlds with mediocre sound and terrible mics.

It can be worth it for wireless though as there's not really an all in one audiophile wireless headset solution (you know, with the mic being wireless as well). Just know that you're compromising on audio quality for the convenience of a wireless headphone + mic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Buy these:

KingShiro posted:

Aliexpress has SHP9500s for $80-$85, so not as bad as ebay or amazon/newegg resellers
And this:
http://a.co/ejLIDLY
Enjoy.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Also: Zeos updated his headphone pick guide if anyone is interested

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/97mi5s/zguides_headphones/

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My hot take on the 58X is that they need different pads if you have big ears like me, my ears touch the drivers and it's quite uncomfortable. I went back to my AD900x quite quickly solely for this reason. They are more semi-open than open like the HD600+ headphones, the foam behind the drivers makes them noticeably more isolating than the 6XX for better or for worse. The bass is definitely nicer. Comparing to my mates 6XX, the only thing I really am jealous of is the nice box (the 58X are just loose in a cardboard box, definitely not a premium unboxing experience) and the appearance. They're near identical as expected, it's splitting hairs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I keep looking for a pair of IEMs to replace my older Velodyne Vpulse's. Any recommendations? Should have flatish mids and highs, no bass bloat, massive subbass.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm looking for something to replace my Shure215s that I've had over the last couple of years. I would buy another pair but I'm hoping there's something better on the market after all of these years.

I'm looking for something with comparable or better noise-isolation. I've tried all of sort of tips on them and they've only been okay. I'm hoping to not have to turn up the sound so high on the subway and hopefully something that can block out my coworkers' voices.

I wear them probably 8+ hours a day but not always with music on since they function as socially acceptable earplugs at work. Probably 2 hours in the subway, 2 hours at the gym and 4-6 hours at work per day.

Would almost any other pair of IEMs offer comparable noise isolation with comply tips? I'm a bit hesitant to get Etymotics since I'm not sure if I would like the deep inserts.

My budget is ~$200 CAD.
I'll be listening to mostly hiphop and podcasts.
No real preference between IEMs or closed-backs.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 21, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm interested in an answer to that too, but I'm having a hard time imagining something with better isolation than a well-fitting set of Olives. Mine block out almost all noise before turning on any music. I know you said you tried a lot of tips, but with the foam tips are you sure you have the right size / have inserted deep enough to get a tight seal?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I have not! I have only tried whatever came with the 215s and a few different comply tips in medium and large. They weren't bad, but I'm just hoping something better has come to market over the last few years. Research does suggest noise cancelling could be a viable solution for the subway but those start at 300+ and easily into the 400s which is a bit steep.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Spinfit tips are insane. They don't have the weird vacuum feel that most IEM silicone tips give you, and are just more comfortable, I don't know if it's in my head, but I swear they even sound better. I recommend trying them out if you prefer silicone tips to foam in general.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Olives are the black foam tips that come with Shure products, so you've probably tried them, but in my experience there's a world of difference when it's properly inserted. If you haven't, crush/roll them up, extend your lower jaw, and push them in nice and deep and see if that doesn't get you where you're trying to go.

ANC is ideal for commuting, but it does have the premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

No, olives are those foam tips that I buy on Amazon for my Etymotics because everyone says they’re so great, and then they come off in my ear when I’m trying to take them out and I start hopping around and panicking because now I have this thing stuck elbow deep in my drat ear. :mad:

I eventually got it out with tweezers. :(