Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

Just had 3 brand new dot matrix printers delivered to our office for delivery to a client. Because dot matrix is cutting edge stuff.
At least they are USB.

Still need them for carbon forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I want one so I can have it just print out AP newswire when coworkers are talking to me and wasting time.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Just had 3 brand new dot matrix printers delivered to our office for delivery to a client. Because dot matrix is cutting edge stuff.
At least they are USB.

As long as you need to have a duplicate copy those things will always have a use.
Also for continuous feed printing, something it'd be tricky to do with a laser.

And the fact those loud, clanky and slow things jam less and are more reliable then every laser printer I've seen for the last 15 years also helps.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Why hate on dot matrix? They're reliable and pretty much foolproof.

I have an Oki microline 182 (iirc) somewhere that probably still works if I drop in a new ribbon...

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Chunjee posted:

:geno:: I found this username/password combo in plaintext logs
:downs:: Ok what do you want fixed?
:geno:: please remove that field or censor it. We don't allow usernames/passwords in logs
:downs:: but the Database team stores passwords in plaintext, I think
:geno:: seems unlikely, but please fix these logs
:downs:: I think the old legacy system stores them in plaintext too
:rant:: fascinating, can you mask these logs now?
boss: mask the logs
:downs:: ok

How do you troubleshoot user issues or audit actions without storing the usernames?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think the issue is more with the password part.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

I think the issue is more with the password part.

Yeah, fair point but why say "we don't allow usernames/passwords in logs" instead of just "we don't allow passwords in logs"?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for malicious compliance. "What? You want to know who accessed XYZ? Sorry, I don't have any record of who did that. Three months ago you asked me to remove usernames from the logs."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
While I instantly assumed that "usernames/passwords" means that there's a direct mapping in the logs I can see why that'd confuse someone who doesn't already understand the shorthand.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

While I instantly assumed that "usernames/passwords" means that there's a direct mapping in the logs I can see why that'd confuse someone who doesn't already understand the shorthand.

"usernames/passwords" is shorthand for passwords? One of us doesn't understand what shorthand means. (And I'm hoping it's not me)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PBS posted:

"usernames/passwords" is shorthand for passwords? One of us doesn't understand what shorthand means. (And I'm hoping it's not me)

Nah, it's pretty straight forward, and unless you're a moron fairly clear in the context.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Maybe I'm just missing something.

Is there a benefit to saying usernames/passwords, when just referring to passwords? Or does username/password denote a specific situation?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A password doesn't do you much good if you don't know what it's for.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A plain text document containing only usernames isn't necessarily a huge security risk. It would provide a starting point for someone with malicious intent, perhaps especially so if those usernames are email addresses, but it's a forgivable offense if no other details are present.

Having usernames AND their corresponding passwords stored in plain text is a giant problem. You're basically handing someone the keys to the kingdom, at that point.

The post in question tells us that both usernames and passwords were stored in that plain text format, hence "usernames/passwords" -- a common enough shorthand. Maybe you've not run into that before? No need to feel dumb about it, anyway.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 16, 2018

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

my cat is norris posted:

A plain text document containing only usernames isn't necessarily a huge security risk. It would provide a starting point for someone with malicious intent, perhaps especially so if those usernames are email addresses, but it's a forgivable offense if no other details are present.

Having usernames AND their corresponding passwords stored in plain text is a giant problem. You're basically handing someone the keys to the kingdom, at that point.

The post in question tells us that both usernames and passwords were stored in that plain text format, hence "usernames/passwords" -- a common enough shorthand. Maybe you've not run into that before? No need to feel dumb about it, anyway.

No, I haven't. I can't imagine a situation in which it'd be acceptable to log passwords, even if there's no obvious corresponding user id.

I can see user names both ways I guess, they have a lot of utility though IMO.

What would be the proper way to handle user attribution without logging user name? A separate unique id?

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Wibla posted:

Why hate on dot matrix? They're reliable and pretty much foolproof.

I have an Oki microline 182 (iirc) somewhere that probably still works if I drop in a new ribbon...

Back in the day I worked 3rd shift weekends at a hospital and I'd print the charts and labs and whatnot for everyone that day. We used these huge 4' tall things with doors and a hood to keep the sound down. I'd use most of a full box of continuous feed paper. Once the reports were done printing I'd take the stack over to a machine that would slice the side holes off while separating the carbon copies into different piles. Then another machine called the burster would put a bit of tension on the pages to separate them and stack them up. The printing part generally went pretty well with very few issues and jams. The other two machines, on the other hand were a huge bitch depending on how humid it was and were sometimes unusable and I'd need to do it all myself.

A bit before I quit they installed a pair of Lexmark laser printers and holy poo poo they were amazing. I don't remember them ever jamming and were just workhorses. And no more loving with the burster and the other thing and all I'd need to do is sort into the various offices, it was great.

But in reality, gently caress printers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PBS posted:

No, I haven't. I can't imagine a situation in which it'd be acceptable to log passwords, even if there's no obvious corresponding user id.

I can see user names both ways I guess, they have a lot of utility though IMO.

What would be the proper way to handle user attribution without logging user name? A separate unique id?

This has happened at some high profile organizations, like Twitter. What happens isn't some dev says "let's dump usernames and passwords to a text file !" and does it. What actually happens is that fully verbose logging for debugging purposes ends up including memory dumps. Which include user names and passwords in plain text.

Remember, apps like Twitter only store the salted and hashed password. That's safe. But at some point they have to salt and hash the password the user actually typed. That happens in plain text form in memory. Log everything, get U/P.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Chunjee posted:

:geno:: I found this username/password combo in plaintext logs
:downs:: Ok what do you want fixed?
:geno:: please remove that field or censor it. We don't allow usernames/passwords in logs
:downs:: but the Database team stores passwords in plaintext, I think
:geno:: seems unlikely, but please fix these logs
:downs:: I think the old legacy system stores them in plaintext too
:rant:: fascinating, can you mask these logs now?
boss: mask the logs
:downs:: ok
why wouldn't you just do it and then log a ticket with whoever fixes those issues

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Came into work 3 hours early to help a customer in Finland and they didn't even join our meeting :argh:

e: actually they joined, but they never joined the call or shared their screen so I couldn't do anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

This has happened at some high profile organizations, like Twitter. What happens isn't some dev says "let's dump usernames and passwords to a text file !" and does it. What actually happens is that fully verbose logging for debugging purposes ends up including memory dumps. Which include user names and passwords in plain text.

Remember, apps like Twitter only store the salted and hashed password. That's safe. But at some point they have to salt and hash the password the user actually typed. That happens in plain text form in memory. Log everything, get U/P.
This exactly. Even having them unmapped is bad enough that it should cause :derp: but there's more ways to mitigate that than there are with "login: bob, password: fuckyoutrudy" stored in the plain.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

angry armadillo posted:

why wouldn't you just do it and then log a ticket with whoever fixes those issues

What?

Who gives everybody access to make unrestricted Dev changes to software?

A) change control is important
B) separation of access is important
C) RBAC is important

You should absolutely not make changes to another team's poo poo with the ideal of 'I'll tell them about it later'

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You and your fancy words! At my current employer, we don't even believe in change control! It's just part of the business to find broken processes because someone changed something. It would be a waste of time to organize, plan, and communicate any non-emergency changes.

:smith:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What?

Who gives everybody access to make unrestricted Dev changes to software?

B) separation of access is important
C) RBAC is important

You should absolutely not make changes to another team's poo poo with the ideal of 'I'll tell them about it later'

What? Where did I say anything to the contrary?

I am making the assumption:

"fix it" meant "follow due process to implement fix appropriately, even if that was just raising some kind of CR to get someone else to do it"

Implying Chunjee was the person to set off that chain reaction.

Sorry if that gets in the way of jumping to conclusions, but lets just be chill.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Man, after that exchange I'd be going out of my way to look for plantext login info on everything I touched.

It's poo poo like this that made me glad I moved to using a password generator.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ilkhan posted:

My whole company just got invited to a rafting day, with the company paying for the rafts.

What about the life-jackets though? Is this part of a RIF plan?

:ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

The execs get golden rafts

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

An email came in

quote:

I can log into my account, but in my Contact information, it says [other campus] and I cannot change it.
It says to contact admin. Can you change it? My username is [username] and my password is [password]?
Please let me know. Thanks
I responded by telling her that we can't change contact information and strongly recommending that she change her password immediately. I also explained that as a public university, our email is subject to FOIA and records are frequently requested.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Password control aside, who can change her contact information? Ostensibly, she was e-mailing you because she thought you were the admin.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Password control aside, who can change her contact information? Ostensibly, she was e-mailing you because she thought you were the admin.
Seriously. You may *not* be the right person, but it's at least plausible from someone who doesn't know who is that you *would* be.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Wrong thread!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

My company is doing a summer picnic thing which is neat, it's at some golf and sports park with some arcade games, volleyball, and lots of other stuff, which is neat.

It's from 2p to 6p on a Tuesday and for EMPLOYEES ONLY, which is incredibly dumb. I'm only going because it's free and I would be working the whole time anyway.

At least its working hours. I find I can't even stay for company paid happy hours if they aren't during office hours.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We just got a demo unit of the fancy new bleeding-edge Avaya touchscreen SIP desk phone.
lol this thing is garbage.
It's basically a glorified Android tablet except it probably costs twice as much for half the hardware specs, doesn't have a battery in it, is designed to lock you out of the Google Play store by default, and is a pain in the rear end to actually get working with existing Avaya phone systems.
Also the default Avaya Vantage dialer app is hastily-thrown-together garbage and actually has fewer features in it than their standard digital phones do. You don't get programmable feature buttons, so there's no Park / Page / group membership toggling / night service toggling / etc functionality. And it doesn't even have visual voicemail, it's straight back to the old-school listen-to-a-recording-that-tells-you-what-numbers-to-press-for-options system. Meanwhile their cheapest digital phones have supported visual voicemail for like a decade at this point.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sickening posted:

At least its working hours. I find I can't even stay for company paid happy hours if they aren't during office hours.

Update: I'm not going, gonna work from home that day and log out a few hours early instead.

Finally got permission to WFH twice a week as long as I'm there on Wednesdays.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Schadenboner posted:

Life jackets optional once we were on the river. The arsenal of water guns the execs bright made for some fun times.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Entropic posted:

We just got a demo unit of the fancy new bleeding-edge Avaya touchscreen SIP desk phone.
It's basically a glorified Android tablet except it probably costs twice as much for half the hardware specs, doesn't have a battery in it, is designed to lock you out of the Google Play store by default, and is a pain in the rear end to actually get working with existing Avaya phone systems.
Also the default Avaya Vantage dialer app is hastily-thrown-together garbage and actually has fewer features in it than their standard digital phones do. You don't get programmable feature buttons, so there's no Park / Page / group membership toggling / night service toggling / etc functionality. And it doesn't even have visual voicemail, it's straight back to the old-school listen-to-a-recording-that-tells-you-what-numbers-to-press-for-options system. Meanwhile their cheapest digital phones have supported visual voicemail for like a decade at this point.

Avaya throwing poo poo at a wall, and showing no evidence of a strategy that results in their products integrating with each other? It can't be true!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Entropic posted:

So they pretty much copied ubiquiti unifi phones strategy with the same grade of success :V

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SlowBloke posted:

So they pretty much copied ubiquiti unifi phones strategy with the same grade of success :V

Kinda been wondering about those phones. Also about Meraki's. Has anyone actually used the Meraki ones? Are they any good?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Also about Meraki's. Has anyone actually used the Meraki ones? Are they any good?

No.

Also Meraki says "MC is not being killed, only de-emphasized (temporarily removed from website and webinars) for some additional development and feature work, to be relaunched in the coming months although the timeline is TBD.". So given that's the state of things nearly 3 years after launch, that should pretty much be all you need to know.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 17, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meraki have given up on their phones, so have Ubiquiti. Wait until they’ve shown a couple of years of continual development before thinking about buying into either.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What phones are good? We currently have Gamma/Horizon SIP on Polycom VVX 410s and it works but it's pretty clunky and we're out of contract next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All phones are bad in their own way. Cisco UCM is good if it’s set up right but if you’re currently running a cloud service then it’s likely overkill.

Maybe look at Fuze?