Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Goal for tomorrow: eat a healthy breakfast; don't touch the croissants and danishes and poo poo at the office. They're not even that good, but, yaknow, when they're there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Today's goal: Getting back to work and eating normally today (much easier with work and a set schedule/routine, and packing my lunch where I can't really deviate). It's gonna be wet and rainy today so no biking, and have errands after work so no gym. I'll aim for doing yoga tonight and not eating a huge dinner.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

It's my go-to sandwich veg these days, no idea how i shunned it for so long.

Think I busted my calorie goal for the day, but still in the loss range so shouldn't be too big a deal. I get real hangry doing this, though idk if that's cause of the intermittent fasting schedule or just the overall calorie restriction.

Yeah, I get real hangry under ~1900kcal, especially if I don't protein load. Luckily it's pretty recognizable.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Immediate goal: do not anger-eat the pastries at the Subaru dealership.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo y'all, great work all around!

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): SHOULDER DAY FAVORITE DAY. Goal is to hit every Bodyspace workout, including the ones I don't like. Then post a badass swolefie. Because shoulder day. Mmmmm.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, again.
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: There will be haters, doubters, non-believers, and then there will be you, proving them wrong.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Didn't make it to crossfit, because I have to go pick up the ice cream maker today. But I pedaled extra hard on my way home to make up for it :shobon:

Strava says 8.2 km and 56m elevation in 26:30, avg/max speed 21.3/47.2 kph.

Not too bad for a fat dude who's been out of the saddle for ~2 years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All set up with the new bench, need to print out my exercise calendar and I'm ready to rock. The jack stands are for deadlifts, I don't have olympic plates so reach down that far was hurting my lower back and ruining my form.

RIP original workout shoes, you served me well

Hit 13K steps for today and came in just over my calories.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ FYI deficit deadlifts are a thing and worth learning how to do, ends up working like a squat/dead combo.

https://barbend.com/deficit-deadlifts-vs-regular/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I noticed the jack stands before I read the text and thought you were trying to use that as safeties for if you fail a lift... Your explanation made a lot more sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ FYI deficit deadlifts are a thing and worth learning how to do, ends up working like a squat/dead combo.

https://barbend.com/deficit-deadlifts-vs-regular/

I tried this but my hips didn't cooperate. I owned the jackstands and they work just fine for my purposes.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone have some low carb tips to increase fiber intake? I have so much trouble getting to 40g of fiber while staying under 40g of net carbs, even if I'm taking multiple scoops of wheat dextrin

E: a pound of spinach has like 10g of fiber, why does it have to be like this?

Usually a Fiber Supplement in one of their various Powder forms will solve all your fiber deficiency issues, without the added carbs. The ones out there today don't taste bad like, as long as you get the fitness supplement versions, and not the disgusting grocery store varieties.
I have one scoop every night with my last protein shake, and it makes a big difference with me being able to stay regular. They also help with weight loss if you're doing the rest of your program correctly.

Adiabatic posted:

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): SHOULDER DAY FAVORITE DAY. Goal is to hit every Bodyspace workout, including the ones I don't like. Then post a badass swolefie. Because shoulder day. Mmmmm.

Hell yes shoulder day is the best day. If I was transported to a desert island and told I could only train one body part forever it would def be shoulders. Feels so good.
Today was shoulder day for me, but I got some business calls at the start of my workout, and then became so stressed out from said calls that I had to stop. My focus was all off, and when dealing with heavy overhead presses, you better have your mind in the game.
So new goal today is to jog a little farther with my doggo since I didn't lift, and to not eat like a pig since my metabolism wasn't lit from lifting.

Rhyno posted:

I tried this but my hips didn't cooperate. I owned the jackstands and they work just fine for my purposes.

You actually don't need to use the jack stands if you don't want to. Your power rack is a perfect setup for partial deadlifts. Just lower the rack arms to about the jack stand's height, or a little higher.
Leave your barbell in the rack arms, do your normal deadlift setup, grab the bar while it's resting low in the rack arms, and lift. Then just lower it back into the rack's arms at the bottom of the range of motion.
You've just completed a partial deadlift focusing on the back without having to compromise your form and lose tension! No olympic plates or jackstands needed.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dennis McClaren posted:

You actually don't need to use the jack stands if you don't want to. Your power rack is a perfect setup for partial deadlifts. Just lower the rack arms to about the jack stand's height, or a little higher.
Leave your barbell in the rack arms, do your normal deadlift setup, grab the bar while it's resting low in the rack arms, and lift. Then just lower it back into the rack's arms at the bottom of the range of motion.
You've just completed a partial deadlift focusing on the back without having to compromise your form and lose tension! No olympic plates or jackstands needed.

Eh, the jackstands work and I can go from one exercise to the next without stopping to reset the rack.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Eh, the jackstands work and I can go from one exercise to the next without stopping to reset the rack.

Whenever I use my home gym this is the deciding factor on what I'm doing next. I am a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Whenever I use my home gym this is the deciding factor on what I'm doing next. I am a lazy rear end in a top hat.

It just works for me and I don't have to modify my exercise routine. I tried variations but I came from using large plates. I really just need to buy two large plates and I'll be able to get rid of the stands.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Usually a Fiber Supplement in one of their various Powder forms will solve all your fiber deficiency issues, without the added carbs. The ones out there today don't taste bad like, as long as you get the fitness supplement versions, and not the disgusting grocery store varieties.
I have one scoop every night with my last protein shake, and it makes a big difference with me being able to stay regular. They also help with weight loss if you're doing the rest of your program correctly.

Maybe I need to switch to psyllium husk then , because wheat dextrin isn't getting me close to where I want to be
My goal today is to actually hit my 40g of fiber goal

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Back when I lifted regularly deadlifts were fun, but also kind of a pain. Even with standard 45lb plates I had to bend way down to reach the bar, so low that I constantly had trouble getting the bar around my knees.

Do they make extra large diameter plates for tall fucks like me?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Back when I lifted regularly deadlifts were fun, but also kind of a pain. Even with standard 45lb plates I had to bend way down to reach the bar, so low that I constantly had trouble getting the bar around my knees.

Do they make extra large diameter plates for tall fucks like me?

A set of HF jack stands is $17.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

A set of HF jack stands is $17.

Or if you have extra plates, just stack the unused plates flat on their sides and use those as stands. Unless you're ridiculously tall or have really long legs, a plate or two should do just fine

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He said he was tall!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I actually did the plate stacking thing, but once I had a few plates on the bar they wouldn't nock down into the hole on the flat plates, so it would end up just rolling off when I set it down.

E: I dunno how you're supposed measure knee height, but I rested my laptop on my thigh just now and measured to the ground (shin vertical), got an even 24 inches. 6'5" overall. I can reach the bar just fine with knees out of the way... if I hunch my back over like Quasimodo, which is less than ideal for pulling hundreds of pounds off the floor.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 16, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe I need to switch to psyllium husk then , because wheat dextrin isn't getting me close to where I want to be
My goal today is to actually hit my 40g of fiber goal

https://www.amazon.com/Species-Nutrition-Fiberlyze-Supplement-Fruit/dp/B00OIC3GKM?th=1
This is the one I use. The mango flavor is pretty good; never tried the fruit punch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh my god I forgot how much I hate being hungry all the time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

I actually did the plate stacking thing, but once I had a few plates on the bar they wouldn't nock down into the hole on the flat plates, so it would end up just rolling off when I set it down.

E: I dunno how you're supposed measure knee height, but I rested my laptop on my thigh just now and measured to the ground (shin vertical), got an even 24 inches. 6'5" overall. I can reach the bar just fine with knees out of the way... if I hunch my back over like Quasimodo, which is less than ideal for pulling hundreds of pounds off the floor.

Wow, them's some long legs, man. Or maybe mine are really short, my leg is only 20 inches from the heel to the top of the fibula and I'm 6'3"
A power cage would be your friend, but in lieu of a few hundred dollars of lifting equipment, Ryno's jack stands might be your best bet

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Species-Nutrition-Fiberlyze-Supplement-Fruit/dp/B00OIC3GKM?th=1
This is the one I use. The mango flavor is pretty good; never tried the fruit punch.

I always want unflavored, but it is good to know that psyllium husk is the way to go. Hopefully they make unflavored metamucil or something

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I should be clear, probably not gonna be hitting the weights for the time being. Mostly gonna focus on cardio and diet. I'm kinda just bitching about the past, like a fool.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I should be clear, probably not gonna be hitting the weights for the time being. Mostly gonna focus on cardio and diet. I'm kinda just bitching about the past, like a fool.

This is the thread for action, not bitching.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh my god I forgot how much I hate being hungry all the time.

Whenever I get hungry and it ain't eating time I chug water. Small amount of lime juice is a great addition.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo y'all, great work all around!

GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, again.
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: There will be haters, doubters, non-believers, and then there will be you, proving them wrong.

WHAT?! MAGIKARP'S EVOLVING!!!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Adiabatic posted:

Whenever I get hungry and it ain't eating time I chug water. Small amount of lime juice is a great addition.

Yeah... that only works for me to a point. One of those things that I just have to deal with.

Big test tonight will be going out to help friends with welding stuff and (since we're midwestern) not eating everything in sight there. So tonight's goal is to not blow today's calorie budget by more than a couple hundred. Which, won't be the end of the world or anything, but I'm going to try not to. I know that it's a self selecting thing with who's sharing photos but man does it make me ashamed of where I got, which is kind of motivation in and of itself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Even if you don't share one here, I posit that everyone should definitely at least take one right now if you're serious about working out with us. You're absolutely under no pressure to share pics but if you hang with for a month or two you'll have a great "check out my month progress" comparison pic that you'll probably want to show off!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also is it just me or is soda water the best poo poo ever? It hits my soda itch, it's basically water, and it's both available and free at any fast food place / cava / chipotle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

Also is it just me or is soda water the best poo poo ever? It hits my soda itch, it's basically water, and it's both available and free at any fast food place / cava / chipotle.

It totally rules, and is more refreshing than straight water. A bit of lemon/line and it's perfect.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I drink a poo poo ton of lacroix.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Whenever I get hungry and it ain't eating time I chug water.

I need to keep reminding myself this. Pretty much impossible to drink too much water.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Protip:

Blue Coast Burrito, Firehouse Subs, and Taco Bell (and others) have not only posted nutrition information, but also nutrition calculators. Very handy and let's you see the breakdown of your custom order so you can easily throw it in MFP.

Obviously, the ideal is not eating out, but for my wife and I now... That just isn't possible most nights, so we've had to do some digging on this.

I'll throw my goals and stuff up here when I get on the laptop tonight.

E: Here's a link to my log with my goals:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845366

Today's goal was to take a rest day and work on my dissertation. So far, I'm doing the former but not the latter.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 17, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's gonna be awesome info when I get sick of CAVA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

I tried this but my hips didn't cooperate.

Sounds like you have mobility issues, it's a common thing but it can be fixed with some work. There's a load of stuff on youtube including a quite frankly fantastic channel called 'Squat University' and the guy there focuses a lot on mobility and various exercises to fix your poo poo. Mobility after all stops you from turning into an old person before your time.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

If all else fails you, might I suggest..

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

jamal posted:

I drink a poo poo ton of lacroix.

I started drinking it to combat :catdrugs: cotton mouth, then I kept drinking it to stop the cotton mouth from my real meds, and now I'm addicted to the stuff. I will drink 3 cases a week if I let myself

The only problem is that if I drink it while I'm exercising or really sweating, I'll get dehydrated because it makes me feel less thirsty so I drink less water overall. No clue why

Spam is healthy, right? If it weren't for the pound of sodium, it'd be perfect for my macros

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Sounds like you have mobility issues, it's a common thing but it can be fixed with some work. There's a load of stuff on youtube including a quite frankly fantastic channel called 'Squat University' and the guy there focuses a lot on mobility and various exercises to fix your poo poo. Mobility after all stops you from turning into an old person before your time.

Yup, hips and hamstrings are probably tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, I don't think I'm going to hit my fiber goal for today, but I do want to shill for Chronometer. Its food database isn't as massive as MyFitnessPal, but it gives you better calorie and macro options

Plus, watching the bars go up scratches the same itch that video game EXP bars do