Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want these plus Wonderful 101 and NES Remix. Mario Maker I’d want greatly expanded enough to be a sequel and not just a port.

There are other Wii U games I love like Nintendoland but I don’t think they’d work on Switch.

Oh yeah those would be cool too. Never got to play Wonderful 101 either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

The Saturn's weird Frankenstein hardware is apparently really hard to emulate, so a Saturn collection might be a while off, if it ever happens. :(

Sega Ages is promising me things and I demand to be catered to. Give me Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga or give me well im not thay invested so ill just be sad.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly I'd rather have Grim Dawn or Path of Exile than Diablo, but whatever. Might give it a go.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just want the Xenoblade games on this thing. The New 3DS version of 1 is trash and I don't have a Wii U anymore to play X or my Wii copy of 1. I could just play it on Dolphin but I'd really like to actually give Nintendo and Monolithsoft more money for Xenoblade games I like and/or tolerate.

Barudak posted:

Sega should release a Dreamcast Collection like the Genesis collection for switch.

Maybe include the Saturn collection too.

Sega's probably just gonna keep doing singular Dreamcast remasters. Shenmue 1&2 HD is about to drop next week and it's looking great.

Barudak posted:

Sega Ages is promising me things and I demand to be catered to. Give me Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga or give me well im not thay invested so ill just be sad.

Sega doesn't even have the source codes to those games anymore... :(

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Did Blizzard/Nintendo rush out that awful announcement video because of Forbes breaking the embargo, or was that always going to be that bad. Most people were expecting the official announcement at Gamescom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sega Ages will likely focus on 8 and 16-bit console and arcade games because putting together a combination of custom ROM hacks and emulator tweaks for those games without the original source materials is less, well, terrifying a prospect. Still terrifying, mind, but a terror well within M2's jurisdiction.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Snackmar posted:

Oh no - first Luigi and now Reggie??

Reggie's gone to Hell to save Luigi. It's a secret unlockable campaign.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm glad I got Diablo 3 for 12 dollars because I forgot how incredibly boring it is. It's like playing an MMORPG. Makes me feel like I'm dying of old age

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Sega Ages will likely focus on 8 and 16-bit console and arcade games because putting together a combination of custom ROM hacks and emulator tweaks for those games without the original source materials is less, well, terrifying a prospect. Still terrifying, mind, but a terror well within M2's jurisdiction.

As of April the head of Sega Ages talked about wanting to include Dreamcast titles but I dont think Sega Ages is doing great so probably rip.

Policenaut posted:

Sega doesn't even have the source codes to those games anymore... :(

Companies with the source code have release Rom+Emulator versions but I agree Saturn Emulation is a nightmare.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

whaley posted:

I'm glad I got Diablo 3 for 12 dollars because I forgot how incredibly boring it is. It's like playing an MMORPG. Makes me feel like I'm dying of old age

Ye are

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Shares an unpopular opinion

This thread's reaction:

Me:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

As of April the head of Sega Ages talked about wanting to include Dreamcast titles but I dont think Sega Ages is doing great so probably rip.
IIRC that's Sega Forever, which is the mobile port initiative handled in the US. Sega Ages is the Switch initiative being handled by M2 in Japan, who did the incredible 3DS remasters.

It's all very confusing, and that's before you factor in the PC stuff that the European branch is doing with the official ROM Hack support and poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This thread's reaction:

Me:

Dude I hate Hollow Knight and the endless discussion of it too but shut the gently caress up no one cares. You're being really weird about this whole thing and said you were gonna stop posting like 3 posts ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

IIRC that's Sega Forever, which is the mobile port initiative handled in the US. Sega Ages is the Switch initiative being handled by M2 in Japan, who did the incredible 3DS remasters.

It's all very confusing, and that's before you factor in the PC stuff that the European branch is doing with the official ROM Hack support and poo poo.

Sega, Sega never changes

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Wii U ports are a blessing to Nintendo. Due to that console bombing, practically nobody but hardcore Nintendo fans played them, so they are just as effectively a new game for people who have yet to purchase the Switch. Already fully developed system sellers? A blessing.

Well if they were system sellers, would the Wii U have bombed :v:

I'm just taking the piss, I am pro ports of good poo poo that too few people have played. As long as they don't get quite the pomp and circumstance on announcement as a from scratch project, but that's just my weird personal opinion.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Prediction: The NSMBU port will have a new hand-drawn artstyle and all the nerds who were against the port will be fawning all over it instantly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This thread's reaction:

Me:

LOL

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought all this Jonny_Rocket drama felt familiar, then I clicked the ? button.

In happier news, I've got a heavily drifting left JoyCon so I'm gonna try compressed air or WD-40 or whatever it was people did to correct that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This thread's reaction:

Me:

Keep playing the victim card, it's totally working and making us all like you more.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

American McGay posted:

Shut the gently caress up no one cares.

Yeah, I got that. You have nothing to worry about moving forward. This is my actual last post, not that anybody actually cares (no one does here, obviously).

I'm getting too old for this poo poo, I'm done and leaving the forums for good. Go back to talking about games instead of piling on someone who's already having a bad day.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WE TALKING ABOUT DIABLO 3 YET

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This thread's reaction:

Me:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh wow I didn't know people still did the "I'm leaving the forums now you big dicked motherfuckers!!" thing

It takes me back to simpler times...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Yeah, I got that. You have nothing to worry about moving forward. This is my actual last post, not that anybody actually cares (no one does here, obviously).

I'm getting too old for this poo poo, I'm done and leaving the forums for good. Go back to talking about games instead of piling on someone who's already having a bad day.

:stare:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I do wonder who is doing the New Super Mario port. The original studio mostly consisted of new hires as a test of their skills and when a project was done they'd get folded into other projects. Eventually the studio got made permanent and they started on a obscure little game called Spaltoon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So doing research, I found out that Nintendo was planning on launching the GameCube alongside the PS2 in late 2000, but stopped solely due to software not being ready.

It's all in here in this behemoth of an article.

parabolic posted:

Well if they were system sellers, would the Wii U have bombed :v:

It would have bombed worse. The Wii U was on track to sell less than ten million at the end of a full lifespan until certain hit games gave it a bump.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I thought this guy was familiar. He likes to do this a lot

Jonny_Rocket posted:

My intention wasn't to pick fights with anyone. I guess I'll just go ahead and delete my account altogether, not like anyone would care anyways.

Unfortunately this didn't take place

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Over There posted:

I thought this guy was familiar. He likes to do this a lot

Unfortunately this didn't take place

Lol cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never played Mario/Luigi U on Wii U so that’s cool and will be new to me at least, but I really just wish they’d release 3D World already

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lodin posted:

I do wonder who is doing the New Super Mario port. The original studio mostly consisted of new hires as a test of their skills and when a project was done they'd get folded into other projects. Eventually the studio got made permanent and they started on a obscure little game called Spaltoon.
I believe NSMB2 was the new-crew game.

MarioWiki posted:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 had a more unique development cycle than other games in the series. Not only was the game developed by the Entertainment Analysis and Development team, but also by members of other development teams, including the Software Planning and Development team, as part of the "Mario Cram School," a program meant to teach other teams about the development of Mario games. Also different is that the game's stages were designed before the mechanics and main focus were thought of.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The wiiu was designed to fail, it was a brilliant strategy by Nintendo. They made more money by rereleasing games then they lost in wiiu development. It's genius! The switch successor will be a manufactured failure for the same reason.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I tried Googling for Tangledeep on Switch and couldn't find anything recent. Is there a release date or ballpark guess for when it's due out?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
as someone who does own a wii u, i still want all the ports

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dreamcast stuff

There were a few other things to consider here too. The weird decision to go with a nonstandard disc format. Someone figured out how to rip and burn Dreamcast games to regular old CD-R discs but they used a weird GD-ROM 1GB format natively. The video tech wasn't too weird. Sure, 3DFX was pretty standard then but they were the juggernaut and probably expensive to implement. PowerVR2 was competitive with PC 3D graphics of the time. I remember the PC cards being a valid option and some excitement for the tile based rendering since it was a new tech.
Do your numbers take into account the effect of it being on fire sale after it was cancelled? I remember seeing the consoles for ~$20 each at Black Friday sales after it was cancelled.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

Oh wow I didn't know people still did the "I'm leaving the forums now you big dicked motherfuckers!!" thing

It takes me back to simpler times...

I'm giggling irl like an idiot (which I absolutely am) at this post

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm glad they're porting two games for $60 this time. Maybe next will be the Prime Trilogy?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Sure, 3DFX was pretty standard then but they were the juggernaut and probably expensive to implement.
The issue with 3DFX wasn't price, it was that they publicly released details of their contract with Sega to develop a new console as part of their IPO, which pissed Sega Japan off pretty hard.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

On the subject of Wii U ports, i'm of the stance that all the stuff I don't care about like Super Mario 3D World would be sort of lame, but all the stuff I really liked or never bought on Wii U like NSMBU, Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 and so on would be rad as hell.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I really liked that Dreamcast post, Guy Who Did The Dreamcast Post. That was a good effortpost. I don't know if the Switch thread is the best place to continue doing all these Sega posts but I am reading them and liking them even if I'm not commenting on them. You might want to make your own thread at this point but then I feel like I would miss out on your posts because I would probably not go read that thread.

Mega hyped for Diablo 3. I think it will do pretty well because it's not competing with a Diablo 3 launch on the other two systems.

Confidential to Jonny_Rocket: :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If I remember correctly, the first-gen PowerVR cards were widely panned in the press. By the time the better cards were out, the market had already coalesced around 3Dfx and Nvidia (and ATI to a lesser extent)

• Locked thread