Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
With Gunn’s old Tweets, one has to keep in mind that Guardians of the Galaxy is a franchise that jokes about prison rape: the manchild hero receives unwelcome advances from a big gay alien, who then gets his comeuppance when his orifices are (literally) penetrated with wood.

Gunn never moved past the juvenility that’s so evident in the tweets. He simply toned it down and covered it with a veneer of family friendliness.

The Guardians franchise perfectly illustrates the hypocrisy of both fans and the Disney Corporation. The franchise is nominally about a bunch of killers and criminals trying to be better people, but they are simply asinine comic book characters, alternatively sources of cheap, insufferable comedy, or of transparent emotional manipulation. Gunn’s achievement has been to sentimentalize the lives of a manchild in space, two CGI toys, and a whole bunch Star Trek rejects as they go around killing people for money. This is the crux of the movement to get Gunn back on board - this is what people are fighting for.

It’s a movie series that’s perfect for people who want it both ways. It’s perfect for fans who want Gunn’s terrible, juvenile Tweets to be forgiven, so that he can direct another terrible, juvenile movie that infantilizes its audience. And it’s perfect for a corporation that demands a strict code of conduct from its employees while teaching children to sympathize with mercenaries because they feel bad about their mums.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

This sucks poo poo, Disney is dumb as hell.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

With Gunn’s old Tweets, one has to keep in mind that Guardians of the Galaxy is a franchise that jokes about prison rape: the manchild hero receives unwelcome advances from a big gay alien, who then gets his comeuppance when his orifices are (literally) penetrated with wood.

Gunn never moved past the juvenility that’s so evident in the tweets. He simply toned it down and covered it with a veneer of family friendliness.

The Guardians franchise perfectly illustrates the hypocrisy of both fans and the Disney Corporation. The franchise is nominally about a bunch of killers and criminals trying to be better people, but they are simply asinine comic book characters, alternatively sources of cheap, insufferable comedy, or of transparent emotional manipulation. Gunn’s achievement has been to sentimentalize the lives of a manchild in space, two CGI toys, and a whole bunch Star Trek rejects as they go around killing people for money. This is the crux of the movement to get Gunn back on board - this is what people are fighting for.

It’s a movie series that’s perfect for people who want it both ways. It’s perfect for fans who want Gunn’s terrible, juvenile Tweets to be forgiven, so that he can direct another terrible, juvenile movie that infantilizes its audience. And it’s perfect for a corporation that demands a strict code of conduct from its employees while teaching children to sympathize with mercenaries because they feel bad about their mums.

Yeah great, cool story.

Me, I just hope that this leads to him going back to making personal projects so we can get a movie as good as Super again. Mostly because I like James Gunn when he's not making GotG because I could not give less of a poo poo about Marvel.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

You had me, then completely lost me.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

zandert33 posted:

You had me, then completely lost me.

its bravestofthelamps, his entire gimmick is saying dumbass takes in the most psuedo-intellectual way possible

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah great, cool story.

Me, I just hope that this leads to him going back to making personal projects so we can get a movie as good as Super again. Mostly because I like James Gunn when he's not making GotG because I could not give less of a poo poo about Marvel.

In a way, creatively, I feel like all of this will be good for Gunn. Super and Slither were both products of a man with a chip on his shoulder, and that anger really helped the movie’s fully realize themselves.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FutureFriend posted:

its bravestofthelamps, his entire gimmick is saying dumbass takes in the most psuedo-intellectual way possible

So it's wrong to say that Gunn's latest movies are not much more mature than his edgy tweets?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
movies and tweets are the same thing
:shrug:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

porfiria posted:

Born again is such a cop out. You did a bunch of bad stuff? You're going to Hell, deal with it.

That's actually Zoroastrianism.

The problem with that attitude is that it encourages people to continue doing bad things, because there's nothing left to lose. All stick, no carrot.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

e; nvm, im just ending up encouraging more derailing

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 16, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

So it's wrong to say that Gunn's latest movies are not much more mature than his edgy tweets?

Yes. It is objectively incorrect.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Aleph Null posted:

Yes. It is objectively incorrect.

In his tweets Gunn jokes about rape. In his movies Gunn jokes about rape. Seems pretty objective.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

In his tweets Gunn jokes about rape. In his movies Gunn jokes about rape. Seems pretty objective.

But the rape jokes are better now, not like those stupid juvenile rape jokes. Now they are rape jokes with class, panache.

It is totally different.

Edit: also, that one time when Starlord cranks his hand and his middle finger slowly goes up. That's art, right there.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Sure, if the only measure of maturity is "does it have rape jokes y/n"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aleph Null posted:

But the rape jokes are better now, not like those stupid juvenile rape jokes. Now they are rape jokes with class, panache.

It is totally different.

Edit: also, that one time when Starlord cranks his hand and his middle finger slowly goes up. That's art, right there.

It was better in the trailer when the HUD blurred it out and indicated 'incoming obscene gesture'.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, at least the fallout of this will be entertaining. :munch:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

peer posted:

Sure, if the only measure of maturity is "does it have rape jokes y/n"

Wait, are we gatekeeping rape jokes now? I honestly can't parse if some of you guys are being sarcastic or not.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

esperterra posted:

Pratt's always been a religious dude, I thought? Like he's always loved God and hunting lmao. Though yeah he does seem to be amping it up in the public space ever since splitting with Anna Faris.

Yeah, this is not a new development or trait at all. Maybe the divorce situation has amped it up a little, but it's been fairly consistent as far back as I can easily remember.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, this is not a new development or trait at all. Maybe the divorce situation has amped it up a little, but it's been fairly consistent as far back as I can easily remember.

When you put it that way, it's kind of sad, not in a "that's pathetic" way but in a "genuinely triggers empathy" way. Like, dude, do you need a hug?

Edit:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was better in the trailer when the HUD blurred it out and indicated 'incoming obscene gesture'.

I concur.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the “oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know how this machine worked” worked better that way too, because it implied that he didn’t realize the scanner would flag an obscene gesture (or did, and did it anyway).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fart City posted:

I thought the “oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know how this machine worked” worked better that way too, because it implied that he didn’t realize the scanner would flag an obscene gesture (or did, and did it anyway).

It didn’t imply that, the machine was always his hand.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I don't think this is quite over, despite all the previously quieted alt-right assholes reappearing on comment boards upon hearing the news and crowing victory and doubling down on every disproven claim about Gunn so far.

Nobody, at least not A list talent, wants to step up and fill Gunn's shoes as Director. That means that production of GotG3 is on hold. Despite some reports getting it absolutely wrong, Kevin Feige and Marvel STILL want Gunn to direct, and want it badly. Feige and Marvel absolutely DO NOT agree with Horn and Disney's reactions. Feige and Marvel realized that Horn wasn't likely to back down. That fact that Marvel knew that nothing productive would come of it seems to be why Feige wasn't in attendance with Gunn's meeting with....

Alan Horn.

Now, as Disney's second in command, Horn cannot be fired, and can only be called into question by Iger. Horn's contract kept him in place until he became 75 years old. He is currently 75 and steps down at the end of this year. The whole capstone of his legacy in Hollywood is now the Gunn fiasco. Disney has placed the responsibility for the whole thing on Horn's shoulders, and like a stereotypical haughty old white man Horn refuses to change his position and admit he erred so late in his career, when it was the last major decision he would ever make. Lord forbid Horn would show he was worth his salary up until the end and fix a problem he largely created.

So what I'm hoping will happen is that production on GotG3 will remain on hold until 2019, as PLANNED actually, and whoever steps in to fill Horn's position fixes this whole mess and re-instates Gunn as director. I think that's what Marvel is betting on as well, considering that some rumors put Feige in the running for Horn's position.

Hopefully by then things will have calmed down and the alt-right will have moved on to try to smear another Disney employee since they think they got away with a major coup with Gunn.

Considering how the alt-right won't quit crowing today and keep claiming that it was the pictures of Gunn dressed as a priest at that catch-a-predator themed party that put the final nail in the coffin though, I guess they won't ever shut up about this. Especially since Hollywood is wise to them now and the chances of them making it happen again to anyone else are probably nil. So the alt-right is going to need their little "victory".

I'm just surprised that they chose to spin Gunn's party costume from THAT party into an issue. On the same page they found it on, there's plenty of pics from other theme parties and general crazy hollywood life as a fringe shock director that could be twisted around into lying bullshit about Gunn being some sort of a monster, including Nathan Fillion leaving a severed testicle on Gunn's porch. Okay, that's hilarious. HA! :D

Some of the images don't load until you click them. There's nothing horrible though except for possibly the pic of the aforementioned severed testicle. Hehe

https://web.archive.org/web/20180104162732/http://jamesgunn.com:80/2012/12/19/my-2012-in-photos/

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 16, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think I can determine the difference between pseudo intellectual and proper intellectual.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ramen Pride! posted:

Considering how the alt-right won't quit crowing today and keep claiming that it was the pictures of Gunn dressed as a priest at that catch-a-predator themed party that put the final nail in the coffin though, I guess they won't ever shut up about this. Especially since Hollywood is wise to them now and the chances of them making it happen again to anyone else are probably nil. So the alt-right is going to need their little "victory".

I'm just surprised that they chose to spin Gunn's party costume from THAT party into an issue. On the same page they found it on, there's plenty of pics from other theme parties and general crazy hollywood life as a fringe shock director that could be twisted around into lying bullshit about Gunn being some sort of a monster, including Nathan Fillion leaving a severed testicle on Gunn's porch. Okay, that's hilarious. HA! :D

It wouldn't exactly surprise me to see them want to fight that battle at literally the worst time to get on someone's case about mocking pedophile priests.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ramen Pride! posted:

I don't think this is quite over, despite all the previously quieted alt-right assholes reappearing on comment boards upon hearing the news and crowing victory and doubling down on every disproven claim about Gunn so far.

Nobody, at least not A list talent, wants to step up and fill Gunn's shoes as Director. That means that production of GotG3 is on hold. Despite some reports getting it absolutely wrong, Kevin Feige and Marvel STILL want Gunn to direct, and want it badly. Feige and Marvel absolutely DO NOT agree with Horn and Disney's reactions. Feige and Marvel realized that Horn wasn't likely to back down. That fact that Marvel knew that nothing productive would come of it seems to be why Feige wasn't in attendance with Gunn's meeting with....

Alan Horn.

Now, as Disney's second in command, Horn cannot be fired, and can only be called into question by Iger. Horn's contract kept him in place until he became 75 years old. He is currently 75 and steps down at the end of this year. The whole capstone of his legacy in Hollywood is now the Gunn fiasco. Disney has placed the responsibility for the whole thing on Horn's shoulders, and like a stereotypical haughty old white man Horn refuses to change his position and admit he erred so late in his career, when it was the last major decision he would ever make. Lord forbid Horn would show he was worth his salary up until the end and fix a problem he largely created.

So what I'm hoping will happen is that production on GotG3 will remain on hold until 2019, as PLANNED actually, and whoever steps in to fill Horn's position fixes this whole mess and re-instates Gunn as director. I think that's what Marvel is betting on as well, considering that some rumors put Feige in the running for Horn's position.

Hopefully by then things will have calmed down and the alt-right will have moved on to try to smear another Disney employee since they think they got away with a major coup with Gunn.

Some of the images don't load until you click them. There's nothing horrible though except for possibly the pic of the aforementioned severed testicle. Hehe

https://web.archive.org/web/20180104162732/http://jamesgunn.com:80/2012/12/19/my-2012-in-photos/

Cool!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'There's this one stubborn old fucker holding everything up' makes a lot of corporate and government decisions that are otherwise baffling suddenly make complete sense.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ramen Pride! posted:

Alan Horn.

I want to believe, but that seems kind of unlikely.

Anyway, I wonder if it was that "To Catch A Predator" costume party where he was dressed up as a creepy priest that was a last straw.

Though, about that party, I recently read that Gunn has mentioned for years that when he was a young child in Catholic school that one of the priests was a pedophile who sexually abused the kids in Gunn's class. In light of that I tend to think it's most likely that him dressing as a catholic priest at that party just shows that he has a rather twisted sense of humor about it, and not anything more menacing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He made light of his childhood friends getting molested?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I can't believe you've been on this kick since that Lindsey Ellis video about GotG2. Actually, I can believe it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Though, about that party, I recently read that Gunn has mentioned for years that when he was a young child in Catholic school that one of the priests was a pedophile who sexually abused the kids in Gunn's class. In light of that I tend to think it's most likely that him dressing as a catholic priest at that party just shows that he has a rather twisted sense of humor about it, and not anything more menacing.

Pretty much all of Gunn's sense of humor came from attempts to handle his childhood problems. It's no surprise that he got his start with writing Tromeo & Juliet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5M5v4d3b8s

I'm sure it's been said before, but Gunn based Rocket Raccoon's personality on himself.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

He's said that the priest in question "hosed us," I don't know if himself is included in that or not.

At any rate, "It probably means he's a pedo" is the most stupid possible conclusion to reach from that costume party.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 17, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sucrose posted:

At any rate, "It probably means he's a pedo" is the most stupid possible conclusion to reach from that costume party.

There are plenty of people jumping on that, though, publicly and loudly in certain forums and comment sections. Whether they believe it in good faith or are being disingenuous assholes is unprovable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bautista owns.

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1030544004088324098?s=19

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Like, I'm no psychologist here but I seriously doubt that real pedophiles make tasteless pedophile jokes. They're probably too busy, you know, being pedophiles.

I don't imagine Roy Moore thinks pedophilia is very funny.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Like, I'm no psychologist here but I seriously doubt that real pedophiles make tasteless pedophile jokes. They're probably too busy, you know, being pedophiles.

I don't imagine Roy Moore thinks pedophilia is very funny.

I'd also imagine actual pedophiles don't think what they're doing is wrong. Also consider the head of the Catholic League claims "it's not rape if there's no penetration" which is up there with "it's actually ebedophilia"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Aleph Null posted:

When you put it that way, it's kind of sad, not in a "that's pathetic" way but in a "genuinely triggers empathy" way. Like, dude, do you need a hug?

That is a... pretty weird take.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sucrose posted:

Anyway, I wonder if it was that "To Catch A Predator" costume party where he was dressed up as a creepy priest that was a last straw

It was, and rightfully so. I defended Gunn beforehand about the Cernovich smear campaign, but I'm not going to defend pedophile themed parties. gently caress off Gunn.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Slutitution posted:

It was, and rightfully so. I defended Gunn beforehand about the Cernovich smear campaign, but I'm not going to defend pedophile themed parties. gently caress off Gunn.

cool post/username combo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd also imagine actual pedophiles don't think what they're doing is wrong. Also consider the head of the Catholic League claims "it's not rape if there's no penetration" which is up there with "it's actually ebedophilia"

While I don't think Gunn is one, I think some pedophiles are likely to be brazen enough to do stuff like this. Jimmy Saville all but flaunted that he preyed on young girls just because he felt untouchable. I bet those priests in Pennsylvania who f'ing industrialized abusing boys became pretty callous and shameless about it too.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

davidspackage posted:

While I don't think Gunn is one, I think some pedophiles are likely to be brazen enough to do stuff like this. Jimmy Saville all but flaunted that he preyed on young girls just because he felt untouchable. I bet those priests in Pennsylvania who f'ing industrialized abusing boys became pretty callous and shameless about it too.

This is probably a discussion for another thread, but Jimmy Saville was more cunning than simply flaunting what he was doing. Saville successfully made it look like he himself was the source of many of the creepy rumors around him, as a sort of deflection from what was really going on. You can see a good example of this in Louis Theroux's segment on him, filmed while he was still alive. Theroux, an intelligent guy, still falls for his persona hook, line, and sinker. Saville acted publicly like he didn't care about the pedophile rumors about himself, while simultaneously suing the living daylights out of his accusers and anyone who might repeat their claims. It was almost diabolically clever; rumors about him were inevitable considering how many victims he raped and molested, but he adopted this public persona of a kindly eccentric devoted to children's charities who didn't mind being the subject of weird rumors and who happily contributed to them himself, while behind the scenes using his power and influence to silence anyone who might threaten him.

• Locked thread