Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Dave saying it sucks and his apology is a mess to most people who would need to hear it but he is in a Catch-22 because in his mind it is ruder to say she has fake breasts and it would likely be just as bad of a reaction because saying she had breast enhancement surgery can be construed as

1) her previous bust was not considered good enough, either by Peyton herself or another party, so she was 'lacking' and had to get it 'fixed'
2) her current bust being the result of surgery means she is 'fake'
3) her value lies solely in her looks, so she had to get surgery

and all 3 of those opinions would immediately get attributed to something Dave himself believes, regardless if he (or anyone) harbors those opinions or not, just because he said a fact that can be interpreted as something else. And no matter who you are, in what industry, somebody somewhere doesn't like you and the internet gives that person a golden opportunity to drag you through the mud for something they believe you said that you believe in

Dave's still a weirdy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

The_Rob posted:

The outcry on those tweets didn't seem genuine at all. They didn't even read like he people who were supposed to be writing them. I really think wwe wants to discredit Dave so they can control the full wrestling narrative.

Also, THIS. There's so much money at stake now for everyone, it's hard to believe this isn't the case. I don't doubt for a second that someone in the company, be it Vince or someone close to him, put out a message to others saying... "look at what he said! We gotta stick up for our women," when really, it's just to control the narrative by discrediting those that make fans think about match quality and writing. Or to theorize an even more vindictive and cynical angle, "stick it to him and his indie geeks who think they can run venues like MSG."

It's a combination of deliberate attacks with an underlying purpose along with white knight bandwagoners who just want to signal to others how caring they are too except for the actual wrestlers who join in know WWE stooges are reviewing their every tweet and just want to make sure they get some brownie points with Vince and the gang for toeing the line of the day.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah Dave isn't a medical provider for Peyton so uhhh HIPAA has nothing to do with this. Unless he is? Dr. Dave?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Yeah Dave isn't a medical provider for Peyton so uhhh HIPAA has nothing to do with this. Unless he is? Dr. Dave?

La periodista enmascarado, Dr. Meltzer Jr.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dave gets his scoops by interrogating his wrestling patients while they're coming out of anesthesia, I thought everyone knew this

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also Alvaraz has dodged a hell of a bullet here by being a flunky.

its hosed up because if youre going to poo poo on anyone, poo poo on alvarez for being the guy who half the time has nothing to say about a woman other than how hot she is, to the point that even filthy tom will fully no sell it and do the dead air into transition like "................yeah. so samoa joe said hes gonna beat aj blah blah."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Peyton Royce should burn a copy of the Wrestling Observer on Smackdown

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MotU posted:

Dave saying it sucks and his apology is a mess to most people who would need to hear it but he is in a Catch-22 because in his mind it is ruder to say she has fake breasts and it would likely be just as bad of a reaction because saying she had breast enhancement surgery can be construed as

1) her previous bust was not considered good enough, either by Peyton herself or another party, so she was 'lacking' and had to get it 'fixed'
2) her current bust being the result of surgery means she is 'fake'
3) her value lies solely in her looks, so she had to get surgery

and all 3 of those opinions would immediately get attributed to something Dave himself believes, regardless if he (or anyone) harbors those opinions or not, just because he said a fact that can be interpreted as something else. And no matter who you are, in what industry, somebody somewhere doesn't like you and the internet gives that person a golden opportunity to drag you through the mud for something they believe you said that you believe in

Dave's still a weirdy tho

meanwhile anyone who knows wwe knows that peyton got to the main roster and then dunn went "WHAT SHE NEEDS ARE SOME TITS!!!" then him, triple h, and vince all laughed for an hour straight and told peyton they'd pay for it and give her time off and a raise.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The funniest part of all this is Russo's weirdo fans now trying to argue that Dave should be banned from that All In weekend thing since Russo was.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Your Parents posted:

its hosed up because if youre going to poo poo on anyone, poo poo on alvarez for being the guy who half the time has nothing to say about a woman other than how hot she is, to the point that even filthy tom will fully no sell it and do the dead air into transition like "................yeah. so samoa joe said hes gonna beat aj blah blah."

he's made fun of owens & chris hero for like 10 years now. "i'm sure he's a nice guy" :D

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave said something dumb(again) and WWE is using it as leverage to silence journalism critical to their product. That's kind of a big deal.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

illcendiary posted:

But I guess my point is this. When you do something lovely, it’s not wrong for someone to call you out, and when you apologize and the apology kinda sucks, it’s not wrong to get called out on that either. Doesn’t have to be a referendum on the totality of the person.

So, I'll try to avoid being incendiary, but Dave absolutely did address that his initial apology on Twitter was poorly worded and that he wasn't thinking enough about it. To be fair, it was like... 27 minutes into the apology, so I don't blame someone for not remembering that. He's also been active on Twitter and doubly so on this morning's WOR saying pretty plainly that he appreciates people who stuck up for him, but he absolutely did gently caress up and needed to apologize.
Like, I'm someone who I think understood what he'd attempted to say originally, still thought it was really not cool, and that his initial apology wasn't very good either. What he said on WOR went a long way to rectifying that, and I do think there's some merit to the people piling on being disingenuous in their criticism.

EugeneJ posted:

Also wanted to avoid a HIPAA violation lawsuit, I'd guess.

But then trying to goad him into stating her medical situation/reveal his source is an rear end in a top hat move since they know he can't.
This, however, is such a poo poo hot banger of a post I can't not quote it again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bryan live tweeting the problems he’s encountering on his way to vegas is good comic relief

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i cannot talk about Boob Jobs as it would be a NIIPA violation

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coconono posted:

Dave said something dumb(again) and WWE is using it as leverage to silence journalism critical to their product. That's kind of a big deal.

:emptyquote:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

illcendiary posted:

But I guess my point is this. When you do something lovely, it’s not wrong for someone to call you out, and when you apologize and the apology kinda sucks, it’s not wrong to get called out on that either. Doesn’t have to be a referendum on the totality of the person.

how does your star ratings scale for apologies work

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Something something in the Tokyo Dome

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What'd you think of the Hogan apology, Dave?

Well, it was. It was just an apology. Actually it really wasn't an apology, but, well... ...y'know.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dave's apology is like one of those old Ring of Honor main events where they just keep going 10-15 minutes longer than they should and kick out of way too many finishers.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CVagts posted:

Dave's apology is like one of those old Ring of Honor main events where they just keep going 10-15 minutes longer than they should and kick out of way too many finishers.

So, good?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BBC did a newspiece about it https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45214183

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At first I assumed that was some pet journo of WWE's writing a hit piece on Dave but really it was just a dude hitting ctrl-c on a bunch of tweets, writing a summary and then hitting post.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The PR class guy was right, the worst thing you can do is admit you ever did anything wrong.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Big Dave should have doubled down with some Scott Steiner levels of body shaming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave's weirdness aside, I really don't understand how anybody could listen to his apology and not think he was utterly genuine in saying he hosed up big time and was really, really sorry about it.

This sure as hell isn't the same thing as Hulk Hogan saying,"I am really sorry I got caught, and in the future I will be very careful to not be recorded being a huge racist, and you should all be careful not to be recorded being huge racists as well."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VJeff posted:

At first I assumed that was some pet journo of WWE's writing a hit piece on Dave but really it was just a dude hitting ctrl-c on a bunch of tweets, writing a summary and then hitting post.

Welcome to journalism since 2010.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

How do you accuse anyone of "body shaming" and insisting she's perfect the way she is when she got a boob job right before going up the main roster?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The more I think of this the grumpier I get about the faux outrage from WWE. It feels a bit tinfoil hat to say all of the tweets from wrestlers is manufactured but either way they feel really hollow when WWE is a company who in recent history has called Mickie James fat, ugly and old. They've called Nia Jax fat and did that awful bullying angle. They've called Ruby Riott ugly and weird. They make all of the women wear long hair or extensions. I'm just surprised at how many people I've seen on twitter who'll suddenly carry water for WWE because Dave said something lovely when it really feels like they're both real bad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It feels a bit tinfoil hat to say all of the tweets from wrestlers is manufactured

In fairness some completely are

https://twitter.com/BellaTwins/status/1030167906800361473

Watch WWE's women's only PPV Evolution, don't forget to #JoinTheEvolution, only on the Network later this year is WWE's Evolution

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh boy, I missed that one. Looks like an SEO wrote it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can completely believe Nikki wrote that tweet herself because it's fake as poo poo.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm just surprised at how many people I've seen on twitter who'll suddenly carry water for WWE because Dave said something lovely when it really feels like they're both real bad.

This neatly summarizes the whole thing for me.

https://twitter.com/DavidC_Ramirez/status/1029821329707548672

It's far less about what he said than the fact that he criticizes Almighty WWE.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave still hasn't reported on Tama Tonga getting detained by US customs for having a large sum of undeclared money.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

Dave still hasn't reported on Tama Tonga getting detained by US customs for having a large sum of undeclared money.

Uhhhhhh. Wha?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Tama_Tonga/status/1028883271914905601 no snitchin

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What did randy do

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ICHIBAHN posted:

What did randy do

Recently fingered a co-worker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ICHIBAHN posted:

What did randy do

He had a habit of taking his dick out in front of writers, handling it, putting it away and then offering them a handshake. If they wouldn't he'd dramatically proclaim they were big-leaguing him and he was going to tell Stephanie and HHH about their bad attitude.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

Dave's weirdness aside, I really don't understand how anybody could listen to his apology and not think he was utterly genuine in saying he hosed up big time and was really, really sorry about it.

This sure as hell isn't the same thing as Hulk Hogan saying,"I am really sorry I got caught, and in the future I will be very careful to not be recorded being a huge racist, and you should all be careful not to be recorded being huge racists as well."

Here's the difference. Large money corporations and boardrooms all say the n word and hate women, and they want Hulk back because he's a famous nostalgia man and want Dave gone because he actually talks about worker's rights

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Dave should not have apologized for something he said that was taken out of context. All that does is make the social media lynch mob feel justified, which is incredibly dangerous. People lose their lives over this kind of stuff. Dave should apologize for apologizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Summerslam is this weekend and people care more about Dave being Dave than it.