Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also: our Lord GOD gave us the reverse gear, in His infinite mercy, so we could back into places easily, not back out of them. Driving vehicles without the ability to back up teaches you some things about where and how things should be parked.

Conversely, every person who backs into a spot in a parking garage takes way longer than it would it take to just back out later, I hate it when people fancy park. 99% of the people that do it are absolutely horrible at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

But a single turn and nothing else? Suicide attempt or sudden blackout is where my money goes. If it was mechanical at least one of the steering or the brakes would function.

Could be another medical condition like a heart attack or seizure too, I wouldn't think someone blacking out would make them hit the gas harder but I could be wrong

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MomJeans420 posted:

Conversely, every person who backs into a spot in a parking garage takes way longer than it would it take to just back out later, I hate it when people fancy park. 99% of the people that do it are absolutely horrible at it.

It is not as fast, but it is safer and easier. I think that's a reasonable compromise.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Someone in my area recently was followed around by a police impersonator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghhdZj80vgY

Odd choice of vehicle to be impersonating a cop in though. Not exactly a lot of depts zooming around in luxury Japanese imports.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What the hell was the state that got pissed off at people backing in on their driveways because they couldn't photograph/scan the plate?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://i.imgur.com/HUI72mU.gifv

Colostomy Bag posted:

What the hell was the state that got pissed off at people backing in on their driveways because they couldn't photograph/scan the plate?

Why would they need to scan a car parked on private property?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MomJeans420 posted:

Backing into a space is hardly "fancy". The only real downside is it makes it harder to get stuff put in the boot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

lmao i can't stop watching this

edit: that feeling when you finally realize that's not burrito

aaaaaaaaahahahaha

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 16, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

It is not as fast, but it is safer and easier. I think that's a reasonable compromise.
Many companies I visit make back-in parking mandatory. Although to be fair, many of these same companies have absolutely idiotic and insane and policies in the name of safety so :shrug: but I don't mind doing it.

:wtc:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Conversely I see "no back-in parking" in certain lots which makes no goddamn sense.

InitialDave posted:

Backing into a space is hardly "fancy". The only real downside is it makes it harder to get stuff put in the boot.

Unless you're backing into the curb row where you can load your poo poo in directly from the shopping cart instead of standing out in the traffic lane.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
why is america so weird???

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

:byodood::dong:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MrOnBicycle posted:

why is america so weirdbad???

fixed that for you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Javid posted:

Conversely I see "no back-in parking" in certain lots which makes no goddamn sense.

I've seen it a couple of places in Germany. Apparently they just don't want exhaust spot on the walls.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The people I see backing into parking spots are usually driving lifted pickups and it usually takes them over a minute and multiple corrections to get it in there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In downtown Akron near the baseball stadium all the street parking is angled back-in only and it's great. The spaces are wide enough that I could almost parallel park my Fiesta in them so anyone can easily swing basically anything in, then no one has to be backing out in to traffic or making an eleventy point attempt at parallel parking. I wish all street parking was like that, though it definitely takes up a lot more of the road than traditional parking configurations would.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

Land of the free.

I'm trying to look for it but coming up empty.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do you guys never drive in crowded parking garages? In an ideal world where people can drive, maybe backing in makes sense, but a lot of the garages around here have a no backing in policy because it majorly fucks things up in the morning when some guy who needs to park hard takes 4 tries to get it right. Also, for tighter spots your average driver is more likely to ding the neighboring car backing in than they will backing out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's a toe truck

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phy posted:

It's a toe truck

:dadjoke:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Door Frame posted:

Skip tracing, warrant searches, looking for stolen vehicles, process service. That sort of thing.
There are people that drive around all day scanning license plates for commercial databases.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

Skip tracing, warrant searches, looking for stolen vehicles, process service. That sort of thing.
There are people that drive around all day scanning license plates for commercial databases.

I used to do that and it was kind of fun. We bought an old MA State Trooper crown vic, mounted the plate cams on the front and back, and we had a massive repo database that would flag cars on the computer.

Drive around in a town I've never been to, wait for the computer to beep, call one of my tow drivers, collect $$.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Door Frame posted:

Because if a license plate isn't clearly visible from the street they'd need to get a search warrant to approach the vehicle, at least going off of a recent SCOTUS ruling.

LATimes.com posted:

The Supreme Court on Tuesday extended the Constitution's privacy protection to include vehicles that are parked on a home's driveway or carport, ruling that police need a search warrant before they may inspect them.

In general, police may look closely at cars that are parked along public roads, without the need for a search warrant.

But in Tuesday's 8-1 ruling, the justices said a vehicle parked in a carport or on private property adjacent to a home deserves the privacy protection of the 4th Amendment.

"When a law enforcement officer physically intrudes" on private property and walks up to a house to look for evidence, "a search within the meaning of the 4th Amendment has occurred," wrote Justice Sonia Sotomayor in Collins vs. Virginia. "Such conduct thus is presumptively unreasonable without a warrant."

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

So basically there's no situation where these scans benefit the person parking the car, gotcha.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

https://i.imgur.com/HUI72mU.gifv

Scanning for plates with unpaid parking tickets (like on Parking Wars)?

e: f,b

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FuturePastNow posted:

The people I see backing into parking spots are usually driving lifted pickups and it usually takes them over a minute and multiple corrections to get it in there.

I was camping in alberta last week and both nights the same truck took 3-4 tries to back into his spot (and you actually have to back into these). At like midnight. And the truck had a reverse beeper thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jamal posted:

I was camping in alberta last week and both nights the same truck took 3-4 tries to back into his spot (and you actually have to back into these). At like midnight. And the truck had a reverse beeper thing.

it's hard to pinpoint the source of a hucked rock in the dark in the woods.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let me just say the reverse beeper is the most amazing thing. I've got one on the truck and people are like "oh, that beeping means a truck is backing up, i better let it"

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

How strange, I find it much easier to back into a parking spot than going in forwards. Unless it’s one of those angled spaces but they’re pretty rare over here.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
How is it easier to steer the opposite end of the vehicle while craning over your shoulder than to basically make a sharp turn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

I see this ina lot of parking garages that have something you really don't want people running into behind them like pipes or machinery.
I also see it in garages where there is a low ceiling for the first part of the sport (closest to the wall), so if you backed in with a hatch, you'd have a bad time, but a hood would clear.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hargrimm posted:

How is it easier to steer the opposite end of the vehicle while craning over your shoulder than to basically make a sharp turn.

Cars are more maneuverable when the wheels that turn are on the outside of the spot. I have a really wide, really long car, and I find it's easier to sneak into tight parking situations in reverse than it is to front in, then have to back up and straighten out once or twice. Makes the best use out of my limited turning radius that way.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Raluek posted:

Cars are more maneuverable when the wheels that turn are on the outside of the spot. I have a really wide, really long car, and I find it's easier to sneak into tight parking situations in reverse than it is to front in, then have to back up and straighten out once or twice. Makes the best use out of my limited turning radius that way.

Also, backup cameras. I rent a ton of cars (and enterprise basically just randomly assigns me cars without regards for what i reserved) and everything I get a bigger car, esp a truck or big SUV, it is way easier to back in assuming a well designed backup camera than pulling in and then reversing out. I find it is way easier to get an idea for the size of the car and how it will react to inputs. This may be less of a thing once you are used to it, but I drive a mazda2, so when i get a Tahoe or F150, it is like driving a monster truck for me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There's a reason a lot of forklifts have the rear wheels steer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sometimes there just isn't enough space to make a wide turn into the spot, so reversing is the only way to get in other than perhaps making a multiple point turn in. Same reason you reverse when parallel parking.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Same reason you reverse when parallel parking.
challenge accepted

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Javid posted:

There's a reason a lot of forklifts have the rear wheels steer.

Are there forklifts without rear wheel steering? I have driven my fair share and never seen one.

And I pretty much have to back my ls430 into parking spots since it's so huge. And because parking spots keep getting smaller. I swear it barely fits width wise into most of the non-compact spots around here. Add to that the fact no one else gives a gently caress about parking between the lines, it takes me forever to find one I can actually fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

damnit