Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

e: also IMO the 'gold bathrobe' is a callback to the Emperor from Flying Guillotine, who gets to be absolutely hilarious levels of Complete rear end in a top hat basically every time he's onscreen.

A flying guillotine lightsaber would be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

cuntman.net posted:

its been done

I think It was Darth Bane from the EU whose body is a wreck kept together by hate? He's one if the better concepts they've come up with.

Even if it's just a variation of what Vader already is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

A flying guillotine lightsaber would be pretty cool.

Someone mentioned that Vader/Immortan Joe mashup looking like Danny DeVito and that makes me think of how much clickbait could be written about an umbrella lightsaber.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Darth Sion is the guy who is basically a force zombie and I remember that only because his name is similar to mine.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
he's cool because you can convince him to suicide.
also he's the end result of dark side users being too focused on the mortal plane to the detriment of everything else .

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine if in the OT we were told that Jabba the Hutt had turned Darth Vader evil and allowed the Empire to come into power, but everything else was the same. That's what Snoke feels like.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

pospysyl posted:

Imagine if in the OT we were told that Jabba the Hutt had turned Darth Vader evil and allowed the Empire to come into power, but everything else was the same. That's what Snoke feels like.

At this point in the OT, who turned Darth Vader to evil had just become a question because we just learned that he was Anakin Skywalker rather than the guy who killed him.

Nevertheless, we never learn how he fell to the Dark Side in the OT. The question is never raised.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The ST even swipes the weaker elements of the OT haha

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

sponges posted:

The ST even swipes the weaker elements of the OT haha

I'm starting to think it might be necessary to re-evaluate certain scenes as too important to the audience's ability to grasp the narrative to exclude.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm starting to think it might be necessary to re-evaluate certain scenes as too important to the audience's ability to grasp the narrative to exclude.

This is a rather awkwardly worded sentence. Please proof read.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

sponges posted:

This is a rather awkwardly worded sentence. Please proof read.

Dude, you don't even use punctuation in the post I was replying to.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force."

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
The OT was allowed to be vague because it was the first time and the focus was on a group of good rebels trying to overthrow an evil empire and restore peace to the galaxy. Despite that we are given plenty of nuggets of information on the backstory throughout the films if your paying attention. Especially in A new Hope.

By the time Episode 7 rolls around this saga has 30 years of lore and canon but the film just opens with the empire back at full power and the good guys complete failures who are once again joining up with the rebels to...overthrow an evil empire? Even though it’s established the Republic is in power? But then a planet gets destroyed and the Republic is gone?

You can’t just not give any backstory or do any world building when the major battle was over and the good guys clearly won at the end of the last film. It needed to be explained who Snoke and the first order are, what the state of the galaxy, etc. JJ instead decided to direct a watered down lazy remake of the original with a bunch of dumb fan nods (probably focus group tested) and his mystery box bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Top Gun posted:

The OT was allowed to be vague because it was the first time and the focus was on a group of good rebels trying to overthrow an evil empire and restore peace to the galaxy. Despite that we are given plenty of nuggets of information on the backstory throughout the films if your paying attention. Especially in A new Hope.

By the time Episode 7 rolls around this saga has 30 years of lore and canon but the film just opens with the empire back at full power and the good guys complete failures who are once again joining up with the rebels to...overthrow an evil empire? Even though it’s established the Republic is in power? But then a planet gets destroyed and the Republic is gone?

You can’t just not give any backstory or do any world building when the major battle was over and the good guys clearly won at the end of the last film. It needed to be explained who Snoke and the first order are, what the state of the galaxy, etc. JJ instead decided to direct a watered down lazy remake of the original with a bunch of dumb fan nods (probably focus group tested) and his mystery box bullshit.

You actually totally can. You are also "are given plenty of nuggets of information on the backstory throughout the films if your paying attention."

The key is that, like all the other films, these are primarily for 12 year olds whose primary interest isn't the films that were released the year their parents were born. For them, there's already a poo poo-ton of baggage to catch up on, and weighing the new movies down with that even more would not be a great idea.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

You actually totally can. You are also "are given plenty of nuggets of information on the backstory throughout the films if your paying attention."

The key is that, like all the other films, these are primarily for 12 year olds whose primary interest isn't the films that were released the year their parents were born. For them, there's already a poo poo-ton of baggage to catch up on, and weighing the new movies down with that even more would not be a great idea.

They already “weighed it down” when they decided to make it a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Top Gun posted:

They already “weighed it down” when they decided to make it a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi

It is amazing how heavy something can be, and yet be easily lifted by a 12 year old. It's like no one told them about all that weight.

It's probably possible to make a good kids film and satisfy the old fans. I assume this happened in the universe that got Star Wars without Ewoks and Jar-jar.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

It is amazing how heavy something can be, and yet be easily lifted by a 12 year old. It's like no one told them about all that weight.

It's probably possible to make a good kids film and satisfy the old fans. I assume this happened in the universe that got Star Wars without Ewoks and Jar-jar.

There’s nothing wrong with the Ewoks

The gungans get flak for being annoying and obnoxious, being blatant stereotypes of black people, and ruining Star Wars with lines like “Yousa in BIG DOODOO this time!”

Despite that the Prequels had better world building and lore than JJs mystery box which is ironic because the prequels could have easily been a rehash of the OT with the ending being the main hero opts to go to the dark side instead of the light. Instead Lucas at least attempted to blaze a different path and create something new.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Truly it was when Sebulba said (in subtitles) "I'll make you into Bantha Poodoo!" I knew Star Wars was over. Gone was the poetry and subtle worldbuilding of "Nerfherder."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Top Gun posted:

There’s nothing wrong with the Ewoks

The gungans get flak for being annoying and obnoxious, being blatant stereotypes of black people, and ruining Star Wars with lines like “Yousa in BIG DOODOO this time!”

Despite that the Prequels had better world building and lore than JJs mystery box which is ironic because the prequels could have easily been a rehash of the OT with the ending being the main hero opts to go to the dark side instead of the light. Instead Lucas at least attempted to blaze a different path and create something new.

Of course, that criticism misses the point of calling them Gungans.

The Prequels have a lot of worldbuilding, but that's not a surprise in a trilogy which is literally filling in backstory. In the abstract, at least, I'm not sure that the third trilogy needs more worldbuilding, but rather to develop the material the first two gave it in a satisfying manner. My inclination is that the substantial complaint is more about the "satisfying" bit.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The problem is the ST threw out all the world-building, indeed the entire narrative, instead of building on it. You could have made a good trilogy about having to pick up the pieces after the galactic government collapses. Imagine a galaxy full of small independent polities. Where instead of having to lead ever more rebellions against ever more empires the new Heroes instead are having to protect the peace, forge understanding, and rebuild a New better Galactic Republic. That way you can have action and explosions (the titular Star Wars) without having to make the OT and all it's characters useless failures.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

What's funny is how the ST feels a few years too early.

If they had been made in the Age Of Trump, it's pretty clear that you would've had the utopic New Republic led by Leia being subverted from within by the First Order led by Snoke. And that would lead on more neatly from the OT without feeling like it was all quickly invalidated.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

If they had been made in the Age Of Trump, it's pretty clear that you would've had the utopic New Republic led by Leia being subverted from within by the First Order led by Snoke. And that would lead on more neatly from the OT without feeling like it was all quickly invalidated.

Yea pretty much this

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

So a remake of the prequel films?

Also I'm not sure how everything from the OT was invalidated? They had 35 years of peace and would have had it for far longer had the New Republic kept their military up to snuff and held the Imperial remnants to the treaty they signed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Much as I have no idea what actual Star Wars fandom is like outside of Something Awful and YouTube recommendations, I have no idea if kids actually like Star Wars.

My persistent presumptions about Episode IX are predicated on the idea that they don't really like it either. :v:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
lmbo @ the literal "think of the children!" argument

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Preston Waters posted:

So a remake of the prequel films?

Also I'm not sure how everything from the OT was invalidated? They had 35 years of peace and would have had it for far longer had the New Republic kept their military up to snuff and held the Imperial remnants to the treaty they signed.

?????????

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Much as I have no idea what actual Star Wars fandom is like outside of Something Awful and YouTube recommendations, I have no idea if kids actually like Star Wars.

My persistent presumptions about Episode IX are predicated on the idea that they don't really like it either. :v:

Judging from what I have seen, they aren't that into episode VIII. Toy sales were bad enough to be a major factor in Toys R Us going out of business.

Which... pretty much scans.

The prequels were bad movies, but to a kid, they've got a lot to recommend them. Weird aliens, lots of CG heavy action sequences, laser sword fights, armies of GI Joe style commando dudes, robots to explode... you know. The stuff of old Saturday morning cartoons, even if there was a lot more distracting politics talk than usual.

The Last Jedi doesn't do much for the kid audience. Whenever it shows new toys, they don't get to do anything, exciting space battles are disparaged, and the heroes are basically fuckups. There's nobody you'd want to be on the playground.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, and that must be at least part of why Solo flopped, because kids like Avengers better than Star Wars and will go to see Infinity War a second time rather than go and see the new Star Wars movie. And I think there's enough coming out next year in November/December that they'll probably be more into than Episode IX. I imagine that the average 12-year old is more excited for the next Jumanji movie than the next Star Wars one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kids didn’t like TFA toys either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, I've heard that Disney made back a fairly substantial chunk of what they paid for Lucasfilm at the first Force Friday event alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah and the only people there were adults or adults with kids who watched adults grab toys for themselves.

You can still find a lot of TFA stuff around. Rogue One was even worse.

Toys are pretty much an adult only market now. Kids prefer video games which is the least surprising thing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Kids loved the prequels. Since they were children, they obviously had no reason to go all "George Lucas raped my childhood :qq: " and could enjoy the fart jokes. But also there wasn't that much competition from 500 comic book movies coming out every year. Spiderman was a big deal when it came out around the same time as Attack of the Clones, but apart from Star Wars the other big franchises were like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, releasing at most one movie per year.

The prequels were probably helped by the fact that Star Wars was seen as a special franchise; they didn't come out very often, and there would be a limited number of them. If you saw them you could be a part of what would seem like a big cultural event that would never happen again. So even if they were bad it was like one movie every three years so not exactly a huge personal cost.

Disney however obviously intends to release new Star Wars at an alarming rate with no end in sight, so if they suck, it's like why should anyone care to watch an infinity of lovely movies until the end of time just because they've slapped "Star Wars" on them? Especially with all the other franchises around. Dunno if anyone saw that Harry Potter spinoff the other year, but it was like ten times more fun than any of the new Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One movie a year doesn't really strike me as an "alarming rate". Marvel has had three movies this year. :shrug:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Solo came out, what, less than six months after TLJ? It's seems that's the kind of release schedule they'd prefer, until Solo didn't go so well.

This should be contrasted with the previous schedule, which was like 3 movies once per generation.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just want to take a step back: Star Wars toys had nothing to do with Toys R Us going out of business. They did a terrible leveraged buy out deal that made it basically impossible for them to get out of debt.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Top Gun posted:

the prequels could have easily been a rehash of the OT with the ending being the main hero opts to go to the dark side instead of the light. Instead Lucas at least attempted to blaze a different path and create something new.

I think this is what got people super-mad in that era. People really just wanted Original Trilogy 2 with modern day effects, an Anakin that was a lot like Luke but a bit more violent and flawed, comfortable familiarity, and an ending where he stabs the guy instead of throwing away the saber and fucks up his Hero's Journey. Even Lucas called such a concept a "retro movie".

The prequels were weird, but not bad in hindsight especially with good TV show to fill the gaps. Hell, we never really got to see the everyday life, flora, fauna, culture, and population centers of the universe in OT so we couldn't really say the tone was necessarily "off" (a major complaint) because we didn't see enough of that in the OT to make those assumptions. It'd be like judging the US based on only Hammond, Indiana. You may love the people there and it may be super important to 'you' but the country is large as gently caress and some of it might get a bit weird if you look too close. Soliloquys about hating sand is totally normal to 'these' guys and maybe 'you're' the one with the problem.

People think they love a certain culture on the surface and then realize it's actually strange as hell once they see more of it all the time. The rebellion was cool as gently caress, but I certainly wouldn't want to partake in that if it meant living in a world and culture like the prequels. Lucas going full "Let's get weird" makes sense considering those movies were deconstructions of the universe showing the reasons why it was doomed to fuckery.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 16, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just want to take a step back: Star Wars toys had nothing to do with Toys R Us going out of business. They did a terrible leveraged buy out deal that made it basically impossible for them to get out of debt.
'Terrible' from the point of view of Toys R Us, its employees and its creditors; 'perfect' from the POV of the vulture investors who set it up. It was unfettered capitalism working exactly as intended - someone else was left holding the bag while they made off with all the money, and it was entirely legal.

In an ideal world such vultures would be strung up from lamp posts like Mussolini, but welp.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Payndz posted:

In an ideal world such vultures would be strung up from lamp posts like Mussolini, but welp.

It's sad. People still buy toys. Those aren't unpopular and likely never will be. That whole thing likely never even had to happen and I feel like the world is worse off without TRU (outside Canada, at least) or a suitable large-scale dedicated replacement.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Payndz posted:

'Terrible' from the point of view of Toys R Us, its employees and its creditors; 'perfect' from the POV of the vulture investors who set it up. It was unfettered capitalism working exactly as intended - someone else was left holding the bag while they made off with all the money, and it was entirely legal.

I keep trying to explain this to my older brother, but he insists that TRU died solely because of their high prices. Their financial situation is probably why they marked everything up, making the prices both a cause and effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

!!!!!!!!!