Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll see what's the deal with airplane traveling :woop:
If you think that's wild, just wait until you get to the part with the peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

even cool areas like somerville or cambridge or brookline aren't as good as the better areas of brooklyn or jc/hoboken. rentals in the seaport district are just as stupidly expensive ($3-4k/month) as manhattan without the unlimited job market to justify it. there are lots boston-ites there. there are drawbacks.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Diva Cupcake posted:

even cool areas like somerville or cambridge or brookline aren't as good as the better areas of brooklyn or jc/hoboken. rentals in the seaport district are just as stupidly expensive ($3-4k/month) as manhattan without the unlimited job market to justify it. there are lots boston-ites there. there are drawbacks.

https://local.theonion.com/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-game-o-1819574643

quote:

BOSTON—Boston residents once again hustled and bustled their way into the nation’s hearts this week as they continued playing their adorable little game of “Big City,” a live-action role-playing adventure in which Bostonians buzz about their daily routines in a delightful hubbub of excitement as if they lived in a major American metropolis.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
three years of living in boston nearly drove me to suicide just from having to deal with bostonians every day. i’m not exaggerating or joking. don’t move to boston.

although people from outside the united states and people who move with significant others seem to have a much better time of it for some reason.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

got an offer :toot: already at dece 6 figgies in nyc. this is +15% plus another 10-15% annual bonus on top. it's a solid offer for the position, not great. there's little doubt that it's much less of a shitshow organization than current employer.

only problem, it's in boston. that fills me with massive anxiety. i have until next week to decide if we're moving.

don't move their if you're brown

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

KidDynamite posted:

but enough about america

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

or not a cishet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the city of boston: its good
the people of boston: watch out!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
me: so these IoT devices that you want to pack lots of "smart" functionality into, do you know their memory capacity?
they: yes (silence) Hello?
me: I'm still here. Do you know their memory capacity?
they: yes (silence)
me: well???

(I never found out)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

raminasi posted:

three years of living in boston nearly drove me to suicide just from having to deal with bostonians every day. i’m not exaggerating or joking. don’t move to boston.

although people from outside the united states and people who move with significant others seem to have a much better time of it for some reason.

guessing people from outside the US just assume that's how Americans are and are just happy their assumptions were justified the whole time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

me: so these IoT devices that you want to pack lots of "smart" functionality into, do you know their memory capacity?
they: yes (silence) Hello?
me: I'm still here. Do you know their memory capacity?
they: yes (silence)
me: well???

(I never found out)

sales people are useless

*checks thread title*

wait what

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Boston's cool and some neighborhoods are great. The big dig is also worth showing off to out of towners when you're walking on the greenway, even though it draws a lot of haters.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
boston is a fun place for me as a cis het white male

i would hesitate to try and be anything else there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
boston struck me as a great city to be college-aged in, and less and less desirable the further you move from that age 18-22 demographic

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

It really isn't

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boston and surrounding area is surprisingly difficult to get around in

the transit is poo poo
the roads are extremely poo poo
the bike infra is poo poo*

*or was when i left in 2010 after 7 years there

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
boston is cool but i've lived here for a long time and so i don't notice the lovely people or roads anymore

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Blinkz0rz posted:

boston is cool but i've lived here for a long time and so i don't notice the lovely people or roads anymore

av/post combo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

Boston and surrounding area is surprisingly difficult to get around in

the transit is poo poo
the roads are extremely poo poo
the bike infra is poo poo*

*or was when i left in 2010 after 7 years there

it's literally the best transit system in the country

except the green line is poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

obviously the mta is the best transit system in the country

living on the east coast but not in nyc is p lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

psot u r rent

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

psot u r rent

i moved out west, you wouldn't like the answer

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

That might mean that you are one of them now

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i'm ok with that

:wrongcity:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bloody posted:

the city of boston: its good
the people of boston: watch out!
privileged white dude with a wife and a 9 month old. i'm pretty much the city's target demo minus the jets fandom.

leaning accept with major reservations about uprooting. i'd need to find another neighborhood with a heavy SAHM stroller crowd to ensure spousal happiness.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Diva Cupcake posted:

privileged white dude with a wife and a 9 month old. i'm pretty much the city's target demo minus the jets fandom.

leaning accept with major reservations about uprooting. i'd need to find another neighborhood with a heavy SAHM stroller crowd to ensure spousal happiness.

Do it. Boston is supposed to be a p.deece place to raise a kid?

It worked out well for that Johnny Tremain guy!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

living on the east coast is p lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

that too but at least nyc is a cool city

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nyc is an ok city

i'm completely indifferent to it

i'm sure by american standards it's pretty sweet though

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'd take NYC over London any day of the week

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

well sure, that seems like an obvious choice to me if you like money. london gigs dont pay (compared to the us).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh god yeah london is loving dire

"yeaahhhh so we basically expect you to live in a closet or spend four hours a day commuting, and you're going to take it and you're going to loving like it because there is literally no work anywhere else in the country"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

oh god yeah london is loving dire

"yeaahhhh so we basically expect you to live in a closet or spend four hours a day commuting, and you're going to take it and you're going to loving like it because there is literally no work anywhere else in the country"
just think of the prosperity everyone will be enjoying when you finally brexit all those job-stealing poles out of your country next year!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

the mta was the greatest then it went wholly unmaintained for decades and now it doesnt work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

for some thread content how do i reply to recruiters that reach out to me that sound like not idiots like what are the correct things to immediately be asking or poking at or whatever beyond "uhh sure lets chat"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

for some thread content how do i reply to recruiters that reach out to me that sound like not idiots like what are the correct things to immediately be asking or poking at or whatever beyond "uhh sure lets chat"

Name of the company they're recruiting for, for sure. If they're playing footsie with you about it they fear you going to the company directly and (therefore) don't trust you or consider you an actual grown-up professional.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

if your question is "how do i talk to recruiters without sounding like a thirsty moron" the answer is that even the best ones are far thirstier and stupider then you, there's basically no way to gently caress it up other than dropping a whole bunch of racial slurs into your response or something. you can verbally abuse them in emails and they'll still respond positively and ask when you're free to chat.

if it's "how do i tell if they're worth a drat" just make sure they'll name the company early (preferably they've volunteered it) and they've actually read your linkedin or whatever

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
For example, me messing me a recruiter who had the balls to e-mail me at work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

cheque_some posted:

For example, me messing me a recruiter who had the balls to e-mail me at work:

I BOFAd a recruiter from Panzer Solutions, LLC when they wouldn't leave me the hell alone.