Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

quote:

All this does is demonstrate that this guy has no clue about manufacturing, engineering, or any combination of the two. Nothing shown here is even remotely inappropriate or out of the norm. If anything, he demonstrates appropriate procedures for containment, rework, and record keeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

oh no i'm not one of those "self proclaimed" whistleblowers i'm the other kind

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

akadajet posted:

didn't he have a post saying he retained some lawyers before posting all of that? it looked like he did it under their advice. strange world we live in.

posting material evidence to twitter to improve your bargaining position? what would deleting your account after that mean

I'd be shocked if this guy gets any sort of settlement and doesn't end up gagged

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Does anyone know if Martin Tripp has any engineering background? His quip about making $28/hr makes me rather suspect about these claims - I'm certain (full disc: I'm CS/CE rather than EE) that about the only way punctured cells would be reworked is if that happens before the initial charging, presumably they just disconnect and seal them up, as they're inert.

as a computer toucher, let me tell you why this guy who worked there doesn't know poo poo about batteries

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait wait wait

there are referral links for Tesla? referral links for buying a loving car?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

wait wait wait

be sure to like and subscribe!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

wait wait wait

car dealers do this

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
whyyyyyyyy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

so they can track which marketing budget has the best return then ignore it and purchase more radio air time instead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lancemantis posted:

wait wait wait

did you know they have dlc?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike posted:

did you know they have dlc?

I thought this may be a joke but of course it's not.

some model S owners are being asked to pony up cash for the latest update, which unlocks extra capacity that was secretly built into their batteries. Yes, Tesla has invended car DLC.

The affected consumers are those who bought a Model S 70 in the last month or so. The 70kWh batteries in their cars are actually 75kWh batteries. They’ve just been software limited to only charge to 70kWh. For the low, low price of $3,000, Tesla will send an OTA update to your vehicle that unlocks the extra 5kWh of capacity. That’s equivalent to about 19 miles of additional driving. Future purchases of the car will be able to pay $3,250 for the same upgrade. 

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
anything to help out senpai!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

elon sucks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

elmer chud posted:

I thought this may be a joke

lol

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
https://jalopnik.com/several-tesla-gigafactory-workers-allegedly-trafficking-1828393920

Several Tesla Gigafactory Workers Allegedly Trafficking 'Significant Quantities' of Cartel Drugs, says Ex-Employee

lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

pr0zac posted:

https://jalopnik.com/several-tesla-gigafactory-workers-allegedly-trafficking-1828393920

Several Tesla Gigafactory Workers Allegedly Trafficking 'Significant Quantities' of Cartel Drugs, says Ex-Employee

lmao

quote:

Hansen claims Tesla received a written notification from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration/Storey County Sheriff’s Office Task Force in May, “alleging that several Tesla employees may be participants in a narcotics trafficking ring involving the sale of significant quantities of cocaine and possibly crystal methamphetamine at the Gigafactory on behalf of a Mexican drug cartel from Sonora Mexico.”

Madrigal Electromotive irl.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

is one of these people elon??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

is one of these people elon??

who do you think supplies his lsd?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

elmer chud posted:

some model S owners are being asked to pony up cash for the latest update, which unlocks extra capacity that was secretly built into their batteries. Yes, Tesla has invended car DLC.

The affected consumers are those who bought a Model S 70 in the last month or so. The 70kWh batteries in their cars are actually 75kWh batteries. They’ve just been software limited to only charge to 70kWh. For the low, low price of $3,000, Tesla will send an OTA update to your vehicle that unlocks the extra 5kWh of capacity. That’s equivalent to about 19 miles of additional driving. Future purchases of the car will be able to pay $3,250 for the same upgrade. 

:tesla:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Something like that happened before and Tesla even temporarily unlocked the full capacity for free during Hurricane Irma after a customer requested it:

quote:

As Hurricane Irma bears down on Florida, Tesla issued an over-the-air update to drivers in the state that unlocks the full battery capacity of its 60 and 70 kilowatt-hour Model S and X vehicles. The update provides those trying to escape the path of the storm with an additional 30 to 40 miles above the typical range of the vehicle, according to Electrek.

quote:

Tesla introduced its cheaper Model X 60D and Model S 60 / 60D vehicles last year. The vehicles are equipped with a 75 KWH battery, but they are software locked to use only 80 percent of that available power. Drivers could unlock that extra capacity with an update for an additional $3,000. Tesla has since discontinued the Model S 60/60D and Model X 60D vehicles, saying that most owners were simply opting for the higher range vehicles.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/10/16283330/tesla-hurricane-irma-update-florida-extend-range-model-s-x-60-60d

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2018

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
one of my friends at work was offered and turned down a "free 15 day trial" of autopilot in his new model 3, presumably on the touchscreen in the car. I walked past a row of 3 parked today & 2 of the 3 had misaligned hood panels with very noticeably asymmetric gaps.

how people buy into this grift at a premium amazes me to no end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pr0zac posted:

lmao

wow elon diving hard into the John Delorean role here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

elmer chud posted:

is there anything to make them not remotely reduce the charge capacity

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ciaphas posted:

is there anything to make them not remotely reduce the charge capacity

a premium owner subscription of $2,995.99 a year, valued Tesla member

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so now we've got cars-as-a-service

wrap it up people, we're done here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, wait until this guy hears about leasing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

elmer chud posted:

lmao elon is a piece of poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait

they charge extra for the automurder feature?

they charge you extra money so you can

gently caress

ok i need a break from all this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
may his death be slow and grisly

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

indigi posted:

may his death be slow and grisly

i've said it before but i want to see musk get run over by a tesla in autopilot mode

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
i remember that fantasy being streamed in my brain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SO DEMANDING posted:

i've said it before but i want to see musk get run over by a tesla in autopilot mode

I want it to run over his balls on live television and then he gets terminal dickhole cancer of the face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

wait

gently caress

yeah autopilot isn't standard though the hardware is installed on all cars. if you don't get the option when you buy, you can get it later but it costs more even though it's literally just an ota software patch to enable it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

wait

gently caress

wow, so cool!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
hack the tesla

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Hello Tesla!
Greetings, where would you like to go today?

Take me to work, Autopilot!
Unfortunately, we have calculated the traffic to work will add 10 minutes to the journey, and this will require a one-off cost of $1 to unlock the battery capacity to travel. Autopilot is currently also enabled in "highway-only" mode, to unlock "congested conditions" driving, you must pay a one-off fee of $1 for this journey. Do you accept the charges?

Yes
Please say "accept", to accept the autopilot waiver

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also make sure sure to put aside some money to deal with the smear campaign Tesla will start against you if your car gets into an accident while in autopilot mode.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This guy is super 🥜, He is simultaneously saying that our security sucks (it’s not great, but I’m pretty sure we aren’t a branch of the Sinaloa cartel like he claims) and that we have amazing spying ability. Those can’t both be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nick Jacinto was thrown under the bus by Uber for the sins of others, You should at least read his countersuit before concluding he’s a bad dude. He has shown high integrity in my dealings with him