Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Have they done anything about the connection issues on mh:w?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The Disgaea 5 saga continues, just got an email about it:

NISA, through a Valve email posted:

Hello,

We are reaching out on behalf of NIS America because you have pre-purchased Disgaea 5 Complete.

-

Thank you for pre-purchasing the Steam version of Disgaea 5 Complete.

We apologize that the launch of this game has been prolonged due to development issues. We are currently planning for an October release, and will be starting the closed beta test in September.

This email is to inform you that, due to the extended delay from the original release date, we are lowering the purchase price of Disgaea 5 Complete. Consequently, Steam will be refunding you your money so that you may receive the best price.

Should you decide to pre-purchase Disgaea 5 Complete once more from the page below, as a thank you, we will be offering the downloadable version of the artbook as a free bonus.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete__5/

*Please make sure to pre-purchase “Disgaea 5 Complete”, not Dood Edition to receive free artbook! This pricing will be in effect until one week after the launch date of the game.

Your support means a lot to us and we greatly appreciate you for holding on to your pre-purchase during the delay. We deeply apologize to all fans that have been affected.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

NIS America, Inc.

Worth noting is that there's no special link or anything so I imagine all copies will have the artbook. I am anticipating NISA loving up the regional pricing and actually making it more expensive for me instead of cheaper.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
One thing I will say about Graveyard Keeper is that I'm not sure what kind of game it'll turn out to be in the end but I really really hope you eventually have a way to destabilise the inquisition in the area at least. That witch-burning scene was rough and I want to do something more drastic than just declining the Inquisitors friendship.

also I think the crafting menus at the workstations can only be moved up and down with a mouse scroll? So if you're using a laptop touchpad you cannot scroll the menu down. Had to install a mouse emulator to build my chopping spot lol... I'm sure that'll be patched pretty quick, it's a pretty silly bug

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark just went up on Early Access and it looks pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahTAKnmO5A

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mordja posted:

Looks like Corn in the Bible's most favourite videogame series ever, Sniper Ghost Warrior, is abandoning open world design.

As long as it's still lengthy and keeps the stealth mechanics from SGW3 that'll probably be awesome

and that article makes it sound pretty great so i'm 100% down for this

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pigbuster posted:

I think we’re finally getting past the OPEN WORLD EVERY GAME era, thank goodness.

I don't know where you're getting that idea from lmao

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Deakul posted:

I don't know where you're getting that idea from lmao

Millenials KILLED open world gaming!!!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Where Sniper Ghost Warrior goes, so goes the industry

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Knorth posted:

:hai:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you play Staxels? How is it? It's early access but how much of a game is there to it right now?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Knorth posted:

Funny. I've never even heard of that game before today. *looks it up* 60% review rating on Steam, reviewers list janky AI and invisible walls...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ambaire posted:

Funny. I've never even heard of that game before today. *looks it up* 60% review rating on Steam, reviewers list janky AI and invisible walls...

It's pretty much Skyrim, makes sense.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

il_cornuto posted:

In case anyone else watched Too Shy Guy playing Yomawari: Midnight Shadows and thought it looked neat, the first game (Night Alone) is currently 70% off at Fanatical.

I reviewed the first Yomawari last year and it's definitely worth it at that price, especially if that weird mix of cute and horrific works for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you play Staxels? How is it? It's early access but how much of a game is there to it right now?

I reviewed it back in March and there was plenty to do in it, but it felt like a lot of work. You had to craft pretty much every block worth building with from components like nails and glue that you had to buy, and considering the main thrust of the game is building your own town, that crafting tended to get in the way of the fun. I imagine it's a real good time if you're a fan of the more complex and time-consuming Minecraft mods, and less so if you prefer basic Minecraft.

This was five months ago so I can't say if they addressed any of those complaints, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

C.M. Kruger posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark just went up on Early Access and it looks pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahTAKnmO5A

Friendly reminder that Voidspire and Alvora Tactics are great SRPGs so long as you don't really care about story.

Here's hoping classes/skills in Fell Seal are actually interesting. I saw a Druid that had like Poison 1, Heal 1 and Earth 1, which is eh.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Did anyone else randomly get a coupon for 25% off Graveyard Keeper? I'm guessing I got it because it was on my wishlist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Usually it shows you why you get the coupon.

Orv
May 4, 2011
On some bizarre off-chance that someone does want it, I've got a 70% off coupon for Gal Civ 3 that's good through the 30th. Add me if you want it. Gal Civ 3 is basically just Gal Civ 2 With More And Fixes, though all of the additions and fixes are worthwhile, if you liked Gal Civ 2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
:supaburn: Monster Hunter Co-op in a Nutshell :supaburn:

...At least I tried :kiddo:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm not good at this game. :negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

I think we’re finally getting past the OPEN WORLD EVERY GAME era, thank goodness.

open world dynasty warriors? nein!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

corn in the bible posted:

open world dynasty warriors? nein!

wow an actual decent joke

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don’t like entirely open world games nearly as much as I used to because there are too many undesirable design constraints required to make them work, or at least ones the industry refuses to stop doing.

What we need more of are hub world games, or games where each level is a smaller map that’s open to itself but closed off to other parts of the game.

Basically, we need more linear games but where each level is less “straight line” and more “great big open square.”

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Open world and skill trees connected to collectibles need to die imho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I liked that interview last year with the DQ11 people where they were asked about open-world stuff. They said that it was considered, but they decided against it because it "wouldn't make the game better." You can still ride a horse or whatever but only in a restricted area and only because riding a horse is cool

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Morter posted:

wow an actual decent joke
I forgot that was a thing and pretty sure Koei would too.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

DreadCthulhu posted:

Not Steam-specific, but I could use a recommendation for a PC game that lets you do some solid immersive escapism. I really enjoyed the Witcher 3 because it catapulted me into this "believable" fantasy world that I could totally get lost in. Quests, awesome storyline, great characters, mini-games, everything is just beautiful, the soundtrack is sublime etc.

Subnautica was excellent as well as far as being immersive, such a great experience. Curious if there's anything else quite like these from recent years.

This was a few pages back, but Dying Light sucked me in like few games have. The game is really very well done. The people and various story beats are...kinda over the top at times, but believable enough to be a cheesy movie anyway, and the world is super fun to explore. Daytime is relatively safe if you're careful (although you're pretty drat squishy at the start until you get some experience under your belt and some skills unlocked and get used to things) and the night can get very intense. About the only bad thing I can say about the game is the ending wasn't to my taste, and involved a couple of quick-time events rather than just relying on player skill and choices. I understand why they did it--it allowed them to really go for the whole cinematic feel at the end, but I don't like player control being taken away. Anyway, it was still cool, and a tiny part of the overall experience.

(Also, I'm excited about Dying Light 2, which looks cool too.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

aas Bandit posted:

This was a few pages back, but Dying Light sucked me in like few games have. The game is really very well done. The people and various story beats are...kinda over the top at times, but believable enough to be a cheesy movie anyway, and the world is super fun to explore. Daytime is relatively safe if you're careful (although you're pretty drat squishy at the start until you get some experience under your belt and some skills unlocked and get used to things) and the night can get very intense. About the only bad thing I can say about the game is the ending wasn't to my taste, and involved a couple of quick-time events rather than just relying on player skill and choices. I understand why they did it--it allowed them to really go for the whole cinematic feel at the end, but I don't like player control being taken away. Anyway, it was still cool, and a tiny part of the overall experience.

(Also, I'm excited about Dying Light 2, which looks cool too.)

The main story in Dying Light really threw me off, but I'll second this recommendation anyways because the sidequests are so much fun and the actual gameplay - running away from zombies, and hiding from them - is some of the best parkour I've ever felt in a video game, with an insanely good sense of motion and place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here's some more gameplay footage of that beautiful-looking indie game Gris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7t1Mm1ANPo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Disgaea 5 will be $30 for pre-purchase. About $10 cheaper.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

You'd have to be a strong and confident gamer to be a Disgaea 5 PC guinea pig.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well, my Disgaea 5 refund and subsequent cheaper price tag will let me buy theHunter's African expansion for "free" so I guess I can't complain. Can't get too mad at NISA since they did throw me a bone with regional pricing yet again unlike Sega, who want me to pay shitloads for both Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles, the bastards.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Det_no posted:

steamdb still reports owners, just more vaguely.

Yakuza: https://steamdb.info/app/638970/graphs/

Monhun: https://steamdb.info/app/582010/graphs/

100-200k vs 1-2 million.

Is this good for Yakuza?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Warframe has added yet another game mode.

https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe/status/1030211939337531393

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh awesome, they fixed the Pocket Circuit crash bug! Now I have yet another minigame/substory set to obsess over. :rice:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this good for Yakuza?

It's not bad. Console version sold about 500k throughout Asia and at least 100k on launch week in the west. I can imagine the total for console sales was about 800k or so.

Even just 100k for the PC launch is alright. Not gangbusters but considering PC games have a far longer shelf-life what with Steam sales and what not, Sega must be happy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also keep in mind that Monster Hunter is really drat popular so that comparison isn't really bad for Yakuza.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Det_no posted:

It's not bad. Console version sold about 500k throughout Asia and at least 100k on launch week in the west. I can imagine the total for console sales was about 800k or so.

Even just 100k for the PC launch is alright. Not gangbusters but considering PC games have a far longer shelf-life what with Steam sales and what not, Sega must be happy.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for them to start putting the Yakuza series on PC. Sega has never been skittish about the PC market, especially steam, they put all those Genesis games on there years ago. Now that the floodgates are open, I think we're gonna get the whole series as they rerelease them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Steamspy also does owner counts still if you're a patreon subscriber. It's using a still-very-beta custom algorithm that's apparently getting a big update this weekend?

It currently says Yakuza 0 has sold 139,000 copies and Monster Hunter World has sold 2,176,000 copies.

Honestly, I'm really surprised by MHW's performance. I know it's a huge franchise, but it's still a PC port of a months-old Japanese game. PC ports of AAA games historically do not do this well on Steam. Two million copies in a single week is utterly absurd numbers. Like, I would not be surprised if this is the fastest-selling delayed PC port ever.

edit: Also yeah, 140k is perfectly respectable considering the games only sell like 500k copies in Japan after 3-6 months (https://gematsu.com/2015/06/yakuza-0-shipments-top-500000 - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-10-aliens-colonial-marines-managed-1-31-million-sales). Though they're not exactly rolling in the dough thanks to the $20 price tag. It's still doing well enough to likely make them want to drop the entire rest of the series on PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 17, 2018

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

DreadCthulhu posted:

Not Steam-specific, but I could use a recommendation for a PC game that lets you do some solid immersive escapism. I really enjoyed the Witcher 3 because it catapulted me into this "believable" fantasy world that I could totally get lost in. Quests, awesome storyline, great characters, mini-games, everything is just beautiful, the soundtrack is sublime etc.

Subnautica was excellent as well as far as being immersive, such a great experience. Curious if there's anything else quite like these from recent years.
I'm making my way through Doom by immersing my fists into demons' faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Begemot posted:

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for them to start putting the Yakuza series on PC. Sega has never been skittish about the PC market, especially steam, they put all those Genesis games on there years ago. Now that the floodgates are open, I think we're gonna get the whole series as they rerelease them.

Yeah. Even back with Yakuza 5 it felt like Sega was still unsure about what markets they had and what they liked, now that gaming is bigger I imagine the picture is more clear. At this point I think it's more likely that sales of the series will slow down and we'll see longer breaks between each release of Kiwami than the series not coming to PC from this point onward.

I'm almost sure that I actually did see Kiwami 2 as confirmed for coming out on PC too, announced together with 0 and Kiwaki 1 back during E3, but that must have been swept under the rug to prevent any sort of franchise overload.