Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I.N.R.I posted:

im playing a stealth game called Yakuza 0. its a game about avoiding men in black suits while collecting "CP" so you can trade it to a priest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

In Training posted:

I am a big fan of the gimmick explosive unlocks. I had a lot of fun going to basically every mission with the exploding cell phone.

the explosive golf ball

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Some more Hitman 2, this (non-sniper) map is a racetrack in Miami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6vmIfR-YTs

It's really just more of the same from Hitman No Subtitle, which is A-OK with me.

There's a mini-trailer that plays at the end of the level and if you like throwing things at people's heads, then :siren: :siren: :siren: COCONUT KILLS ARE CONFIRMED :siren: :siren: :siren:

Also, fish are apparently a melee weapon and you can kill someone by dropping a huge shark on them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would guess that 90 percent of my Hitman playtime is just throwing things at people's heads.
Old Can Of Beans

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Does Imp Zone still do Metal Gear July or should I keep it to this thread? I just started a European Extreme MGS3 file.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

beepstreet posted:

Does Imp Zone still do Metal Gear July or should I keep it to this thread? I just started a European Extreme MGS3 file.

I thought In Training made a thread each year. My backlog of games from the last few years is so great that I'll have to just be a spectator and not a participant :(

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Every Metal Gear July is a pale shadow of the original

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The original MGJ is probably the most fun i’ve ever had with video games in my whole life.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first one was mainly MGSV hype but I could put together another metal gear July thread.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

European Extreme is insane. On one hand, it's nice to be able to fight your way out of a situation on regular Extreme, but Snake can absorb so many bullets that it still doesn't feel balanced. On EE you need to utilize a ton of your resources to avoid getting spotted. Throwing magazines to draw attention, crawling and stealth walking constantly. The tension is wonderful. It really unlocks the core stealth feelings.

At one point, I ran out of ammo for both my 1911 and M9 and was about to get stepped on by a guard while I was prone in some tall grass. I stabbed at him with the knife and he took damage but didn't aggro and end the game. So I swung again. And again. After slashing his shins to pieces he fell over and died, alert free.

Also, this may be obvious to some, but the cardboard box is useful not just for stationary hiding in the right places, but running around with it keeps you low like the crouch walk in the later games, proving it's worth in the mighty bush of the jungles of Russia.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been replaying Thief 3 and it turns out that PC Gamer had a 10 page write-up on the Shalebridge Cradle:

http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf

It's actually kind of interesting, especially if you're susceptible to nostalgia.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Phantom Doctrine is cool id reccomend it to anyone whos a big spyhead or just a fan of turn based games. Really good cold war espionage vibes, you unravel conspiracies by stringing together documents on a corkboard.

The focus is on stealth and not combat and you can do cool things like starting a mission with two members of your team disguised and on the inside already, which leads to cool situations where youre having the disguised ones and the plainclothes ones work together through a wall like getting a guard to look away so another teammate can sneak in and take him down unnoticed, or disabling cameras so someone across the map can get in a room. Most of the maps also have big public areas where plainclothes agents arent trespassing, so they can maneuver through these areas safely to sneak into various protected areas. The game is visually similar to xcom but works differently in much longer line of sight and guaranteed chance to hit, with damage taken being diminished by cover and other mechanics.

It's cool when something goes wrong and poo poo gets crazy and the mission changes from careful stealth to hit and run as fast as possible, civilians getting caught in the crossfire, theres no real reason to engage with enemies even when combat breaks besides keeping your guys alive, which makes a cool dynamic of just trying to hit the objectives and get out with minimal damage taken

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Phantom Doctrine is cool id reccomend it to anyone whos a big spyhead or just a fan of turn based games. Really good cold war espionage vibes, you unravel conspiracies by stringing together documents on a corkboard.

The focus is on stealth and not combat and you can do cool things like starting a mission with two members of your team disguised and on the inside already, which leads to cool situations where youre having the disguised ones and the plainclothes ones work together through a wall like getting a guard to look away so another teammate can sneak in and take him down unnoticed, or disabling cameras so someone across the map can get in a room. Most of the maps also have big public areas where plainclothes agents arent trespassing, so they can maneuver through these areas safely to sneak into various protected areas. The game is visually similar to xcom but works differently in much longer line of sight and guaranteed chance to hit, with damage taken being diminished by cover and other mechanics.

It's cool when something goes wrong and poo poo gets crazy and the mission changes from careful stealth to hit and run as fast as possible, civilians getting caught in the crossfire, theres no real reason to engage with enemies even when combat breaks besides keeping your guys alive, which makes a cool dynamic of just trying to hit the objectives and get out with minimal damage taken

Oh wow, this just came out on Steam a few days ago! Your post sold me straight away - that sounds like great fun. I always like Hitman-esque mechanics like certain areas being treated as 'public', so you don't get shot on sight, etc. I'm at work at the moment so I can't watch the store videos, but drat it sounds good! Might need to take a better look tonight.

Also, what happens if an agent dies? Is it like X-COM where you can just get more, but agents who survive continually get better at the skills they commonly utilize, etc. or is the agent/character selection more 'static', for lack of better words?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I hope the cool stealth game imp is ok and just lurking in the shadows somewhere :ninja

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

goferchan posted:

I hope the cool stealth game imp is ok and just lurking in the shadows somewhere :ninja

Oh yeah, I haven't seen anything from Seventh Arrow in a while either, now that you mention it! Hopefully he's just off trying to garrote a HVT somewhere and will be back on SA before too long

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, this just came out on Steam a few days ago! Your post sold me straight away - that sounds like great fun. I always like Hitman-esque mechanics like certain areas being treated as 'public', so you don't get shot on sight, etc. I'm at work at the moment so I can't watch the store videos, but drat it sounds good! Might need to take a better look tonight.

Also, what happens if an agent dies? Is it like X-COM where you can just get more, but agents who survive continually get better at the skills they commonly utilize, etc. or is the agent/character selection more 'static', for lack of better words?

Its just like xcom, the agents are randomly generated and you can customize them once you build a forger, where you need to give them new identities if they become compromised by being seen on camera during a mission etc. The agents seem to have a bit more value than say an xbox soldier because they can do poo poo on your base, but yeah the longer they survive the more skills theyre getting.
theres permadeath but ive evaced on missions with two agents down but not bled out yet and they came limping back to base eventually. hopefully they werent turned into sleeper agents by the enemy, i dont have the heart to interrogate my own agents in my MKULTRA facility. ive also had an agent die from a random event thing i made choices in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Its just like xcom, the agents are randomly generated and you can customize them once you build a forger, where you need to give them new identities if they become compromised by being seen on camera during a mission etc. The agents seem to have a bit more value than say an xbox soldier because they can do poo poo on your base, but yeah the longer they survive the more skills theyre getting.
theres permadeath but ive evaced on missions with two agents down but not bled out yet and they came limping back to base eventually. hopefully they werent turned into sleeper agents by the enemy, i dont have the heart to interrogate my own agents in my MKULTRA facility. ive also had an agent die from a random event thing i made choices in.

drat, this sounds more appealing by the minute! I guess if they get 'turned', could you send them in as a diversion/cannon-fodder on a future mission, in case things go bad? Might be a bit risky though, I suppose.
So are the missions a pre-defined campaign, or is it more like X-COM too, in that it's mostly random-gen missions, but with story missions/events spaced out in between? (I suspect it would have to be a pre-set campaign though, surely? That'd be insane if it was as good/complex as you say and random - either way it sounds great, though)

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm home now and have time to read the description properly. drat, sounds good! I'm buying it right now - although I'm just curious, but is there a memorial wall for deceased/missing agents? If not, I'm gonna have to start a Google spreadsheet I think, since I dunno, I always like to track who I've had in my unit in games like X-COM and Xenonauts, as well as how they died.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been looking forward to Phantom Doctrine but all the reviews say it's kind of half baked and none of the systems really get a chance to shine, which put me off a bit as its the exact issue their previous game Hard West had, so it's good to hear people having a good time with it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've only just started it (done 2.5 missions at this point) and I think it's very enjoyable so far, from what little I've played. The only minor gripes I have are an apparent inability to crouch, as well as that it seems fairly easy (at least, to me - I'm not sure if I'm simply missing a notification or something) to miss out on side-investigations you can perform, while you have an agent in a city.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, I haven't seen anything from Seventh Arrow in a while either, now that you mention it! Hopefully he's just off trying to garrote a HVT somewhere and will be back on SA before too long

I started playing Marvelous Miss Take and just kind of got bored with it. I only had a few more games left on my review list anyways. I may take another crack at it and if so, will post a review.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Awesome https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/20/hitman-missions-remastered-in-hitman-2/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh nice! That's great news; I love revisiting old maps in newer games in the series, to try completing them with newer mechanics, etc. (Also, that 'blend into crowds' part also sounds quite good - especially on bustling maps like Marrakesh)

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
yall i'm in the mood for some stealthy stuff after playing through dishonored literally twice in a row because of how loving awesome it is.

i played the hitman 2016 demo and i enjoyed it but saw that it's no longer being offered as just episodes, and so the full thing costs $60 because they include some bonus crap i don't want.

am i just being a cheapo by passing on it because i just wanted to try another episode or two, or is it totally worth the $60 package?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Sai-kun posted:

yall i'm in the mood for some stealthy stuff after playing through dishonored literally twice in a row because of how loving awesome it is.

i played the hitman 2016 demo and i enjoyed it but saw that it's no longer being offered as just episodes, and so the full thing costs $60 because they include some bonus crap i don't want.

am i just being a cheapo by passing on it because i just wanted to try another episode or two, or is it totally worth the $60 package?

Buy it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sai-kun posted:

its totally worth $60 and if you had bought the episodes 1 by 1 you woulda ended up spending $60 and not got that bonus stuff anyway

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
hitman s1 is good as hell but they just anounced all the s1 levels are gonna be in hitman 2 which comes out in 3 months so probably just wait for that

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its gonna cost extra if you dont own season 1

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

they havent announced the price but i really doubt it would be $60 extra

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I hope it is so your rear end gets btfo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

my rear end is in pristine condition and will remain so until i die

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

absolutely anything posted:

my rear end is in pristine condition and will remain so until i die
*knuc's ears perk up from 3 threads over*

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

elf help book posted:

its totally worth $60 and if you had bought the episodes 1 by 1 you woulda ended up spending $60 and not got that bonus stuff anyway

Plus aren't the first three episodes free, now? If you play on Steam, you can just click 'HITMAN(tm) Free Trial' and that should give you the free episodes. If you aren't hooked by the time you finish ep2/Sapienza, don't even bother. (That being said, if you like stealth you will be hooked. The new Hitman missions are fantastic)

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Major Isoor posted:

Plus aren't the first three episodes free, now? If you play on Steam, you can just click 'HITMAN(tm) Free Trial' and that should give you the free episodes. If you aren't hooked by the time you finish ep2/Sapienza, don't even bother. (That being said, if you like stealth you will be hooked. The new Hitman missions are fantastic)

I could have been misclicking, but I think the only thing you get are two training missions.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
if you get it now you get the entire first episode for free, the 2nd and 3rd wre free for short periods but i think not anymore

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's still plenty of game for $60 but I know that feel of how it hurts buying older poo poo at full price. It's totally worth it but also there's always that temptation to wait for sale

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It goes on sale a lot so just wait. I think I got it for £15 when the final episode came out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought all of season one for like 13 dollars from a GameStop pricing error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm finally playing Shadow Tactics and it's an incredibly good little game for something that just came out of nowhere. It's so tense to play that I need to take long breaks between missions and I had vivid dreams last night about setting up shadow mode ambushes and nervously watching viewcones