Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that image, from the last page that isn't on this page, doesnt make sense to what my heart feels, but I posted it thinking that it did. very confused. here's Another try in words. Adult babies are real. they need the comforts given to a baby to be alright, like shaking a rattle. regular adults d'not have to shake the rattle. You are one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

of the regular adults

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

that image, from the last page that isn't on this page, doesnt make sense to what my heart feels, but I posted it thinking that it did. very confused. here's Another try in words. Adult babies are real. they need the comforts given to a baby to be alright, like shaking a rattle. regular adults d'not have to shake the rattle. You are one

I... think I get it. Bless you friend Cavauro. :)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
theres no correct slot to fit into in life and what you are doing with yours isnt any less valid than the 9-5 bullshit routine hth

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You have so much more worth than as a potential cog in the corporate machine, Foochs. You are original and fun and you have worth to a lot of people, myself and I'm sure a bunch of other people on this forum included.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are real pals and I'm grateful for you all and your kind words. Honestly if I could just get a little more income to show for what I contribute I'd feel pretty self actualized. The unfortunate thing is I don't have a talent fitting of say, a Patreon, otherwise I'd be all over it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the most virtuous walks of life (No offense, bwehehe) aren't the best financially. the fact you can budget and save and not be in danger is better 'adulting' than a heck of a lot of others. ur killin it & should be proud of the work you do, the results are just seen elsewhere than the bank

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

9-5 is a bullshit mentality that has long outlived its usefulness. It works for some people, not for others, and I'm grateful for the ever growing shift towards recognizing that it's far more important that people get their work done in whatever way suits them than that they be present between certain hours like it was loving high school.

A lot of older people still have that mindset that a 40 hour work week is the only proper way to do things, I'm sure your parents are well-meaning and loving in that they think this is something to aspire to, but you shouldn't worry about meeting some arbitrary standard from a bygone era.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I took my wrestling-ambivalent wife to a CMLL* show in Mexico City as part of our honeymoon. Now she's obsessed and I caught her googling lucha training schools over dinner last night.

What have I done.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I loving hate you twitter. They broke stats reporting so now I can’t easily see who is liking my shitposts through Tweetbot. Now I can’t see how much penetration my crusade against Jack is getting

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

reality_groove posted:

I took my wrestling-ambivalent wife to a CMLL* show in Mexico City as part of our honeymoon. Now she's obsessed and I caught her googling lucha training schools over dinner last night.

What have I done.

Been a good spouse.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Guys I'm so hosed up.

So I live at home with my parents (because of my disability mostly). I pay what's essentially rent every month to my Dad and it's not chump change. But my only real steady income right now is my disability checks because consulting work pays quite well but is not stable. I keep a budget for myself every month and never ever come anywhere close to running out of money or anything like that but I just feel like I'm not adulting right because my parents have conditioned me to feel like the only "right" way is a 9-5 job. There's a lot of reasons why that's not necessarily feasible for me, but I hate feeling worthless and like I don't deserve what I give myself because most of my advocacy work is volunteer. I just hate feeling like this. :(

Just had to get this off my chest.

As much as society says otherwise, your value as a person is not equivalent to your economic productivity.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Guys I'm so hosed up.

So I live at home with my parents (because of my disability mostly). I pay what's essentially rent every month to my Dad and it's not chump change. But my only real steady income right now is my disability checks because consulting work pays quite well but is not stable. I keep a budget for myself every month and never ever come anywhere close to running out of money or anything like that but I just feel like I'm not adulting right because my parents have conditioned me to feel like the only "right" way is a 9-5 job. There's a lot of reasons why that's not necessarily feasible for me, but I hate feeling worthless and like I don't deserve what I give myself because most of my advocacy work is volunteer. I just hate feeling like this. :(

Hey man I know how you feel, I was in a similar situation a few years ago. 9-5 is an outdated mentality in a lot of cases and if you are paying rent and your budget is running in the black and not the red I say you are doing perfectly fine for yourself in this day and age buddy. Everyone adults in different ways :) hope you feel better

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

my assessment is that you are doing It. keep on, and don't keep off.

But I see the numbers and I’m nor—oh. :(

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Guys I'm so hosed up.

9-5 being the only "right" way is some capitalist propaganda poo poo that views people entirely on what they can produce. Your volunteer advocacy work, whatever it is, is far far better then that because you're choosing to sacrifice a part of yourself to help make other people's lives better. That's noble poo poo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Guys I'm so hosed up.

Speaking as someone who works the 9-5 shift and has no problems with it...

...are you paying your bills? Are you helping more than you're hindering? Are you meeting your obligations? Are you doing all of these things without causing harm to another person by your actions or inactions?

Congratulations! You're a functioning adult and living up to the terms of the social contract.

Just because you feel worthless doesn't mean you are worthless.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah all this 9-5 stuff is nonsense.

I mean, look at Vince McMahon! He works 2am to 1:58am! And he's fine!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vince is a testament as to how you are perfectly capable of working a 24 hour work day if you inherited enough money to live off of cocaine for your entire adult life

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I do 9-5 but don't think it's for everyone. When I was growing up, people always pushed you have to go to college and I did, and was the first one in my family to do so and felt pretty good about myself. After I got out, had some debt and saw the job opportunities and saw the other situations my classmates got themselves in I am teaching my kids that you don't have to do college if you don't want to. Trade school is just as good, you get out earlier and if you're interested in making decent money where you live should study a profession that is in your area.

I always think if I could go back I would take 0 loans and I would have studied nursing or engineering since those are the two biggest professions in my area.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should also point out I have a degree from a major university and no student debt which I'm pretty sure makes me a unicorn.

I can't legally save money as it stands now though which is 'Murica as gently caress.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can't legally save money as it stands now though which is 'Murica as gently caress.
what

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

It's one of those weird things regarding Social Security income

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

It's one of those weird things regarding Social Security income

That and Medicaid eligibility, yes.

See, the initial America logic is, disability income and Medicaid are need based programs for poor people. So once they start making money they are good, right? Except for the part where some people are permanently disabled and Medicaid is the ONLY way to get assistance paying for personal care. So you gotta stay poor.

Recently the US has created ABLE Accounts which is a special kind of savings account for people with disabilities but it's massively complicated and btw if I die the government takes my money from my family as restitution for the fact that they didn't just Hitler my no-legs-working rear end.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I work 8-430 in a job that pays well, has good benefits, and am also glad my parents are cool with me mooching at home so I can pay off my student loans to a manageable level.

Wish I was still a paleontologist, but then again I dodged a bullet with not being accepted to grad school considering the pressure it puts on my friends who have, definitely not for me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

America was a mistake

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna build a time machine just to berate Adam Smith.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jesus WEP posted:

America was a mistake

I'm gonna admit it - I joked during the election that I wouldn't have minded if Donald Trump got elected, because "he will burn down America for the insurance money and we'll start all over again with a clean slate."

I...may have been in error. Or I may have been horribly, horribly right.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

I'm gonna admit it - I joked during the election that I wouldn't have minded if Donald Trump got elected, because "he will burn down America for the insurance money and we'll start all over again with a clean slate."

I...may have been in error. Or I may have been horribly, horribly right.

I'm an optimist but I think you're mostly right. The idea that more progressives (by America standards) are running on a Medicaid For All platform NEVER would have happened a few years ago. Yes, horrible white nationalists are emboldened but a good percentage of the other side is (thank gently caress) waking up from complacency and moving further left.

Anyway I want to make it clear I will be fine and I love you guys for the support and kind words. Just know that if I get a little snippy or seem irritable chances are it's just some existential crisis. Also if I do create a Ko-Fi or something (probably the best Patreon-esque option for me if I go there from what I can gather) I might mention it and then people can PM me if they want a link.

For those who don't know what I ACTUALLY do, I spend my life advocating for systems change and rights for people with disabilities, mental health issues, and substance use disorders, and I've literally won multiple statewide prestigious awards for my efforts but I don't care about any of that. I just want to leave the world better than it was when I got here, or drat sure try to. :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just want to leave the world better than it was when I got here, or drat sure try to. :)

:glomp:

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

The world needs you as you are. Happy, that is. Without you the world will never have something unique added to the fabric of life. Those that you have directly or indirectly affected by just existing would be poorer. The world would be poorer.

That is "success" to me. Every day you get up and do good, do bad, accomplish and fail you succeed in life. Monetary value can never touch what you bring to the table. "Fitting in" only hurts us as we lose who you are.

You are already succeeding.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also, I'll just say this and this goes to anybody else thinking about this, don't discount a Patreon or something. There's an audience for everything. If there's something you like doing, some kinda creative pursuit, poo poo dude, give it a shot. People get huge audiences completely by accident these days. What's the worst that can happen?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm an optimist but I think you're mostly right. The idea that more progressives (by America standards) are running on a Medicaid For All platform NEVER would have happened a few years ago. Yes, horrible white nationalists are emboldened but a good percentage of the other side is (thank gently caress) waking up from complacency and moving further left.

Anyway I want to make it clear I will be fine and I love you guys for the support and kind words. Just know that if I get a little snippy or seem irritable chances are it's just some existential crisis. Also if I do create a Ko-Fi or something (probably the best Patreon-esque option for me if I go there from what I can gather) I might mention it and then people can PM me if they want a link.

For those who don't know what I ACTUALLY do, I spend my life advocating for systems change and rights for people with disabilities, mental health issues, and substance use disorders, and I've literally won multiple statewide prestigious awards for my efforts but I don't care about any of that. I just want to leave the world better than it was when I got here, or drat sure try to. :)

drat.
As a fellow SSI haver you have my admiration.

(And a fellow agreer of the 'something had to break' mentality. I am afraid it may however be too late)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 18, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChrisBTY posted:

drat.
As a fellow SSI haver you have my admiration.

(And a fellow agreer of the 'something had to break' mentality. I am afraid it may however be too late)

Same, also in related gloomy news today is the last day of my job, my boss had originally planned on holding onto me for at least another week or two, possibly through Labor Day, but a last minute reshuffling by Corporate changed those plans, and thus me only finding this out yesterday

That(combined with too much caffeine) led me to have one of those "Long Dark Night of The Soul" Experiences last night, which wasn't a very pleasant one to have

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

America was a mistake

Lol yeah.

If it wasn't for America id be hunting and just farming for my family

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I just ate an orange.

I got the rind off in one piece.

There were no seeds.

All the wedges divided perfectly without breaking.

This is like discovering plutonium, on accident!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’ve somehow lost the tin containing all my 3DS games. Pray for me as I turn the house upside down in an attempt to locate them.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
To me no video games exist past the Genesis so I can't help ya pal

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

fart blood posted:

Bummer dude there’s some good ones

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

found! it was in my travel bag from the time I foolishly thought I'd have time to play 3ds when I was on the road. I play the dumb thing about 4-5 times a year. I much prefer the whole console experience. But with my game playing time being super cut into with Newborn duties, the 3DS makes sense again.

Been playing SMT IV since I beat the SMT gacha game(until they release more story content) and that's been pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

Play Sonic Mania.